Author Topic: nerf archers  (Read 13360 times)

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
Re: nerf archers
« Reply #165 on: June 19, 2012, 11:42:00 am »
+1
Told people archer with mallet was :realism: but they made legolasssxxx clone instead.

They always had mallets and shovels and other makeshift weapons handy after they prepared their anti cav defenses by  digging ditches and hammering in stakes.  Something I heard was considered for cRPG, but haven't seen anything in a while on it.  Would be interesting certainly.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 12:47:18 pm by Smoothrich »
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline bonekuukkeli

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Xawi_von_Perkele
« Reply #166 on: June 19, 2012, 11:45:50 am »
So... give archers way to be at least decent in melee and then you can talk about making archery more support role as some think it should be. Currently, if you do build with enough agility to take wpf in both archery and melee, you can't do decent damage in either because of low str and limited wpf/slots. And if you happen to go with higher str that actually _can_ damage enemies, you are greatly limited in slots, can't have melee wpf at all (if you want to hit targets with higher PD bows) and can't have enough PS to go through semi-decent armours.

Nerfing archers leads to whining about cavs more. That happened before and I mentioned it here in forums before last nerfing wave happened. Archers aren't problem out there, they are easily beatable and catchable if you use tactics and brains. No point fixing something that isn't broken, unless it's your own playing skill.

Offline bruce

• Count
  • Renown: 262
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: the Freak Army of the Gnjus / Saracens
  • Game nicks: Saracen_el_Brus
« Reply #167 on: June 19, 2012, 11:47:57 am »
+1
Longbow / Rusbow being 1 slot would not hurt. More damage vs horses also would not hurt, but removing ability to kite would be a fair trade. As well as boosting hybridization somehow without boosting pure builds.

Best ban reason ever:
Quote from: Wookimonsta
I checked, the only Vagabond I found was Wolves_Vagabond_TheCruel, that guy is now unbanned. Ban reason was: "calling Zotte a cockswoggler".

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • Renown: 515
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Grandmaster Ultimate God Of Swashbucklin'
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bridgeburners
  • Game nicks: Bobthehero_Whals and I am totally not all the Not_Bobthehero alts ever.
  • IRC nick: Buff Swashbuckling
« Reply #168 on: June 19, 2012, 12:00:44 pm »
So... give archers way to be at least decent in melee and then you can talk about making archery more support role as some think it should be. Currently, if you do build with enough agility to take wpf in both archery and melee, you can't do decent damage in either because of low str and limited wpf/slots. And if you happen to go with higher str that actually _can_ damage enemies, you are greatly limited in slots, can't have melee wpf at all (if you want to hit targets with higher PD bows) and can't have enough PS to go through semi-decent armours

7 PD 7 PS 140 WPF in archery 70 WPF in 1h 5 ATH and 5 WM

Still can nail headshots fine, with an unloomed hornbow.

Melee skills are great actually, with only wpf being slightly sub part, but considering my main has probably less WPF in plate and that this archer is in a gambeson all the time, that is good enough.
The Narwhals, dedicated swashbuckler part of FCC

Stabbing is my speciality and one hitting people, my art

Offline bonekuukkeli

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Xawi_von_Perkele
« Reply #169 on: June 19, 2012, 12:27:34 pm »
If you can't catch some archer using 5ath, you are doing something seriously wrong. Seems quite balanced and basic build to me. And those are fine. When you end up in melee-range, you have advantage as it should be.

edit:

But yes, I support idea of making it to more non-running battle when/if archers are given tools for it.

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • Renown: 515
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Grandmaster Ultimate God Of Swashbucklin'
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bridgeburners
  • Game nicks: Bobthehero_Whals and I am totally not all the Not_Bobthehero alts ever.
  • IRC nick: Buff Swashbuckling
« Reply #170 on: June 19, 2012, 12:57:18 pm »
That's my archer, my main got 3 ath.
The Narwhals, dedicated swashbuckler part of FCC

Stabbing is my speciality and one hitting people, my art

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 19, 2012, 01:23:51 pm »
If you want to nerf archers even more, that's ok to me. I'm cav. Please go ahead.
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline Aderyn

• Earl
  • Renown: 365
  • Infamy: 243
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Kalmar Union
  • Game nicks: Aderyn
« Reply #172 on: June 19, 2012, 03:18:06 pm »
fyi i have to shoot a plated guy 5-6 times to kill him if he's full health (if i dont pop him in the head)

30 arrows in total. So if i hit all arrows in a match i can kill AT MOST 6 plated guys based on that i dont headshot or miss. After that i'm down to a pickaxe.

dont know if you guys have tried bashing someone with a pickaxe with 0ps and 1wpf, but it always glance if people are using medium and above. Sometime i dont glance because i hit their head, but that's if they have shitty headarmor.

Nerf archer speed? Sounds fair. not.
Can't spell manslaughter without laughter.

Offline Aderyn

• Earl
  • Renown: 365
  • Infamy: 243
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Kalmar Union
  • Game nicks: Aderyn
« Reply #173 on: June 19, 2012, 03:32:30 pm »
If you wanna talk about HISTORICAL references to this, then go here http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/board,40.0.html

What we're doing is playing a game that isn't historically correct. In calradia arrows DO pierce armor more frequent than in reality.

ergo: leave historical references out of this.
Can't spell manslaughter without laughter.

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #174 on: June 19, 2012, 03:43:57 pm »
Wouldn't you rather just be able to be more powerful against the tincans and be able to shoot them before they get close in less shots instead of running away to try and hit them 6+ times? I still think that even on high head armor players, headshots can do quite a bit of damage. It takes most 1hand weapons 5-8 hits to kill tincans, too. I'm not sure how many headshots it takes to down a tincan, but I would assume it couldn't be any more than 2 or 3.

I just feel that outside of teaming up with another archer or thrower, one person shouldn't be able to land unlimited shots on another/group of players actively chasing him without some sort of penalty (like accuracy on horse, or the horse as a large target for other ranged).

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #175 on: June 19, 2012, 05:28:02 pm »
+4
Now that I actually AM an archer, I can tell you that all the bad excuses made by archers about how hard it is, how they should be able to run, oh it takes so many arrows to kill.
They Are all just bad excuses. And that is it. People DROP when shot by arrows in battle. I never had to shoot goretooth more than 3-4 times and he died. Or PorkSword. Or any other platecrutch. And so help them god they didn't get headshot, because you'll never survive two arrows if one is a headshot.

For an archer as good as aderyn (good prediction, awesome shot), he doesn't need to make these arguments. But he LIKES to kite everyone, which is fine by all means. Do what he likes, whatever. But he also shouldn't be able to do soooo much damage. Sooo SOOOO much damage.
I always kind of jokingly ragged on archers, but now that I am one... hahahahahahahaha it's all true!
Damage and speed, One but not the other. Currently you get both with a MW rus.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 05:32:31 pm by Marathon »
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline wanteds

• Earl
  • Renown: 396
  • Infamy: 133
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: polelord
« Reply #176 on: June 19, 2012, 05:39:59 pm »
Now that I actually AM an archer, I can tell you that all the bad excuses made by archers about how hard it is, how they should be able to run, oh it takes so many arrows to kill.
They Are all just bad excuses. And that is it. People DROP when shot by arrows in battle. I never had to shoot goretooth more than 3-4 times and he died. Or PorkSword. Or any other platecrutch. And so help them god they didn't get headshot, because you'll never survive two arrows if one is a headshot.

For an archer as good as aderyn (good prediction, awesome shot), he doesn't need to make these arguments. But he LIKES to kite everyone, which is fine by all means. Do what he likes, whatever. But he also shouldn't be able to do soooo much damage. Sooo SOOOO much damage.
I always kind of jokingly ragged on archers, but now that I am one... hahahahahahahaha it's all true!
Damage and speed, One but not the other. Currently you get both with a MW rus.

If it was up to me, rather than going for speed or going for damage, archers would have to choose between these two: damage or accuracy.

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 19, 2012, 10:02:47 pm »
mw rus bow:  blatantly OP since the introduction of pierce bodkins, double or triple the damage of any melee weapon, equipping it and having at least 6 athletics makes you simply invincible to melee fighters as they will never catch you, feels as accurate as an arbalest for far across the map shooting

nerf it, nerf it bad
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

Offline Tindel

• Earl
  • Renown: 333
  • Infamy: 238
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Tindel
« Reply #178 on: June 19, 2012, 10:08:56 pm »
You made me respec into archery,   there happy now?

Offline Blackbow

• Duke
  • Renown: 560
  • Infamy: 282
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Murcs
« Reply #179 on: June 19, 2012, 10:21:57 pm »
EAT SHIT BITCH!

it's a bolt ...

nerf xbower not archers , xbower are too powerfull i got one shot by mw arba last night...
can i remember than archer is one of the only class who cant one shot ppl without aim for the head ...

all inf can os, all mw arba can os, all cavs can os ...

and please to all stupid inf without shield who try to catch archers with low athlétics ... dont be so stupid and think about team play or stay at cover instead take so much risk ... juste for after cry about archery ...
just learn to use your brain !!!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 10:26:04 pm by blackbow »