Author Topic: What kind of map would you like us to make?  (Read 5896 times)

Offline kongxinga

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Farmers
Re: What kind of map would you like us to make?
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2011, 06:47:32 pm »
Create a swamp/mire map. This would be an overall flat landscape with pockets of shallow water (nothing higher than the waist) evenly dispersed throughout the entire map, but with no large expanses of water. I think mixed vegetation would work well (trees and shrubs in different areas). There would be no rocks / boulders. Most obstacles would be fallen trees or perhaps the occasional broken down cart from someone who attempted to pass through the area.
This picture is pretty close to what I am thinking of.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

You need to take a look at WilliamBerne's WW2 china mod. There is a map called Southern Marshes which is just the thing you are looking for. There are trees, ruins, rivers that you can navigate on boats, a crashed Zero fighter. It is a pretty good map for the mod (with all the machine guns and coehorns going off), but for CRPG I am afraid it might be one of those "LOL cav" maps where cav can't move and quickly become fodder, thus making it less fun for at least 2 classes.

Offline Ronan

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Phoenix Company
  • Game nicks: Ronan PxC
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2011, 07:03:02 pm »
What Hax is saying is the community wants us to make maps that are impossible to make

actually he gave me an idea for an "underworld" type siege map. I just gotta look at some piece to see if its possible.Base it in a "Cave" kinda place, but it still has walls for D a gate house and maybe even a back door. but as the Attackers go into the cave it goes from slightly disturbing to complete Demonic chaos. Im thinking out side the wall(inside the cave) will be a moat of blood, people, spikes, and even fire. With a draw bridge that goes over this to the gate. Call it something like "Keep of the Dead" or "castle Death"...Something along those lines. What do u people thing?

Offline Durton_mustachier

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2011, 07:38:18 pm »
Well, in terms of the marsh map I was thinking no rivers or ruins, and it would primarily be flat.  Yes, it may be more difficult for cav, but you could make some dry areas / paths, along with smaller pools of water that could allow for some navigation via horse. You would likely have to do some fancy jumps and turns to keep speed up. The flatness of the map might make this slightly easier.

Offline Noely

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nords
  • Game nicks: Noely,ArchNoely
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2011, 07:40:33 pm »
i want a map like dust 2
If wishes were horses beggers would ride.

Offline Wallace

• Noble
  • Renown: 13
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WallaceBRD
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2011, 08:19:27 pm »
i want a map like dust 2

I have this nearly done... took a 2 month break from it though and never finished

Offline Death_Dealer

• Knight
  • Renown: 36
  • Infamy: 10
  • cRPG Player
  • to Shish your enemies, see them Kebabed before you
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Shishkebab, Ronaldinho, Colossus, Death_Dealer, Brunhild, Whorecraft, Fahishe, Altair
  • IRC nick: Shishkebab
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2011, 08:45:45 pm »
i think invisible walls are one of the biggest problems for cavs. its there on original native maps too. i prefer visible walls around the map instead of invisible ones :) dont care if it looks crap. and there is a map looks like stonehenge and there some trees with invisible wall around, really annoying.

Offline Wallace

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2011, 10:34:09 pm »
I try to avoid using invisible walls except for map boundaries... only exception are the corpse shields i'm making use barrier boxes

Offline Ronan

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2011, 06:40:59 pm »
I think "Mines of Moria" was a good idea. Just that it should be redone... Maybe do one thats like the area with the big pillars and where the dwarf tome was with the well... Add some other cool areas too. Dont want just a big room.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2011, 09:15:05 pm »
The problem with M&B scening is that you can't really make custom rooms, only arrange those premade scenepieces that are already available. It IS possible to make custom scenepieces, but it's actually quite some work (using a 3d-modeler tool and paint program), and they would also have to be included into the cRPG filebase to enable them for map making. It would also mean that a map made with such props would be useless outside of cRPG.

The mines of moria map you are talking about is probably as close as you can get with standard props.
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Ronan

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2011, 10:03:23 pm »
no need for exact replica. Yeah I am talking about a remake of what we had. Just learn from the last and dont do some of the things it did. enlarged corridors would help. You can shape rock pieces to look like top of cave. Use wall "connect" for pillars. Ill slap something together in a few days to show u what i mean. (I mean real quick slap together) Nothing needs to exact replicas, because replicating movies or anything is not cRPG and wont play right.

Just throwing ideas out there. Hoping more people throw ideas around so we can get some real creative ideas. Thats why i started this, so that people can voice what they want and what they think would be cool to see... Not so they can be shut down by "its not possible". We can always make something out of these compiled ideas. :P

Offline Fluffy_Muffin

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 429
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Tribunal
  • Game nicks: Vivec_the_Poet
  • IRC nick: Umbra
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2011, 10:06:56 pm »
We have archer maps
cav maps
archer and cav maps
more archer maps
did i mention archer and cav maps?
cav maps

When is the infantry gonna have some sugar? All the "infantry" maps have unreachable roofs making them:

(click to show/hide)

What i would like to see is some city maps with uncampable roofs or roofs that have indestructable ladders on them.
Defy me, and you will know what it is to stand against a god.

Offline Wallace

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2011, 05:54:16 am »
Problem is unless you put a roof on every place you can go within a map archers will put up ladders... so unless we make a castle map that has low ceilings and short corridors you will always have battle maps that lean towards archers

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2011, 05:57:13 am »
Problem is unless you put a roof on every place you can go within a map archers will put up ladders... so unless we make a castle map that has low ceilings and short corridors you will always have battle maps that lean towards archers

Look at his clan tag, and think carefully on what they stand for...

EDIT: You can always put invisible walls on the "uncampable roofs" to be fair.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Wallace

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2011, 06:00:34 am »
Barriers suck anal... gotta be a more creative way to cap levels off

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2011, 07:02:05 am »
Barriers suck anal... gotta be a more creative way to cap levels off

Make a Canyon map, or alternatively a map where you place a maze on it with wide walls that can be walked on, a handful of random ladders thrown about to the top, and then gates or arches below connecting the passageways so that the walls of the maze are uninterrupted and thus you can walk everywhere. Or create a wap with nothing but flat roof tops and a few planks/cloth strips/tents connecting them like a few maps already do, and a few permanent ladders as well.

Or, make the top of every building a teleport into the main square, or a 50' drop that kills everyone.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 07:06:29 am by Tears_of_Destiny »
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.