Author Topic: Leveling in C-RPG  (Read 7659 times)

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Leveling in C-RPG
« Reply #75 on: June 13, 2012, 12:50:28 pm »
+1
If you do not know what the level cap is and you are part of the development team, then there's a good chance there is no firm level cap.

It must not be "oh, 35, maybe 36, or I guess 37"  It must be firm and clear, and do you really expect the average player to stick around to gain hundreds of millions of experience until they are finally able to match the long term players in raw stats?

People aren't aiming for any level cap, they generally make builds for 30 and retire at 31. You can do that your whole cRPG career and be one of the best players in the game while amassing huge quantities of gold for masterwork items or repairs. Its always been said that there is a soft cap, but there is effectively a hard cap too due to the amount of time needed to level up:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

That is some epic diminishing returns curve for a game..Now consider people who go over 31 don't make characters for 37..they make them for 33/34 because levelling up to there might be as far as you ever go, anything after that is just a tiny bonus somewhere on the horizon after hundreds/thousands of hours of game time, a bonus that might not even equate to more than 1 HP

Then you also have the fact that this is not a duelling game. You meet people who have twice your HP because you got plinked by an arrow already, you outnumber players you consider high priority (or just anyone you can). You hit people in the back if you get the opportunity. You use team work to beat better players etc..Its a battle, not an arena game
If you have ranged troubles use this:

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1239
  • Infamy: 237
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 13, 2012, 01:08:41 pm »
If you do not know what the level cap is and you are part of the development team, then there's a good chance there is no firm level cap.

It must not be "oh, 35, maybe 36, or I guess 37"  It must be firm and clear, and do you really expect the average player to stick around to gain hundreds of millions of experience until they are finally able to match the long term players in raw stats?

Level 33 is just 4 generations worth of XP.

Level 34 is just 9 generations worth of XP.

Level 35 is 20 generations worth of XP.

Level 36 is 48 generations worth of XP.

Level 37 is 115 generations worth of XP.

It's much easier for you to come close to high level monsters, how you call them, than for them to gain another level.

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • Renown: 946
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 13, 2012, 01:12:06 pm »
there is effectively a hard cap too due to the amount of time needed to level up:
My great-grandchildren could make it to lvl 40, though :P

On a more serious note, I can somewhat understand your rage. It has a bad feeling to it knowing that there are players out there simply having 1-2 PS or Ath more than you will ever get (with the other stats equal). But in the end it really doesn't matter at all, the better player (as in duelist, backstabber, backpaddler, dancing master, teamworker, whatever...) will win allways. The bonus you gain at lvl 35 (which is IMO insane to actively go for) is just too small.

Offline Miwiw

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 525
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Miwiw
« Reply #78 on: June 13, 2012, 01:20:01 pm »
Ignoring most other posts as I won't waste my time reading those, I just can voice my opinion, by saying that the current system is fine right now. Maybe there is a need to change the xp system but I even prefer this over the xp system before.
I see that there is no need of skill to level up. Only the time is important. That means that even casual players have the same chance as skilled players (casual in this case means "less skilled", though casual usually also means spending less time) to level up.
I prefer having no hard cap but actually a soft cap which is possible to be reached, level 31/32. Level 31 is possible to reach in about 2 weeks with some hours a day and some luck as well (x2, x3).
Not sure why you would limit the cap to a certain level, e.g. 31 as there are many, especially hybrid builds, not being "finished" at those levels yet. Also making looms not giving any real stats would destroy my need to retire anymore. If its just about the looks I wouldn't retire.. :P

Skill does also mean more than 1 , 2 levels.
Miwiw_HRE - Two Handed
Trade with me

Offline Rage_Guy

• Earl
  • Renown: 384
  • Infamy: 123
  • cRPG Player
  • L to the ATVIA, bitch.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Latvian Potato Empire
« Reply #79 on: June 13, 2012, 02:01:24 pm »
+2
buff hybrids

Offline ZigZag

• Noble
  • Renown: 16
  • Infamy: 46
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 13, 2012, 05:13:23 pm »
I don't believe there is anyone at a "level cap" yet. Cmpx didn't start out on the developer team, but he made it up there. It wasn't for no reason, obviously. Maybe you should think about it. Cmpx is a developer--do you think this is the first time he's heard your kind of whining or seen it before? Hundreds of millions of experience only separates your from other players minimally, so if you can't play with it, then quit or get better.

Everyone started out sucking and being a peasant, by the way... So new players can level up just like everyone has to. You're lucky it's much easier than before.

When that "minimally" can mean they run faster, swing faster, and be overall more powerful hybird builds or core build than the average player (levels 30-31) , then there is something wrong, because in order for them to catch up to such speed, such strength, and such equipment, they will need to spend just as much time as the long time players did in order for them to optimize their character to the maximum.

It makes no sense to keep such a broken system.

Feels almost like one of those Chineese RPG grinding systems.

Yes, the game is very fun, but level balancing would make it even more fun at equal opportunity.

Give achievable rewards to the average player that hasn't been lingering around this community for the past year / months.

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 3188
  • Infamy: 724
  • Sir Black King A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: irc://
  • IRC nick: chadz
« Reply #81 on: June 13, 2012, 05:16:13 pm »
Chances are next cRPG will have a vastly different leveling system, fixing some of the things you mentioned. Not gonna change this one, though. Not worth the rage  :wink:

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
« Reply #82 on: June 13, 2012, 05:16:41 pm »
+2
Feels almost like one of those Chineese RPG grinding systems.
lol, comparing cRPG's grind to one of those is like comparing a hangnail to the holocaust.

cRPG by it's nature develops your character.  Some characters have advantages, deal with it.
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline ZigZag

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 13, 2012, 05:19:33 pm »

Because it would set a base, or I should say, a "roof" which this mod is missing.

The high leveled players who are around 35 already are very skilled at this game (at least I would hope so)

They do not really need additional points along with their skill to slice the average player down.

Putting the level cap would remove the stat advantage that long time players have over average players and would force the game to be more skill -based rather than level - based.

That is exactly why I kept saying skill does not equal balance, balance comes before skill, and even though a skilled player can take down an unbalanced player.

Offline ZigZag

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 13, 2012, 05:26:51 pm »
Chances are next cRPG will have a vastly different leveling system, fixing some of the things you mentioned. Not gonna change this one, though. Not worth the rage  :wink:

Well, if you fix the leveling system, then there might be a different perspective on how this is viewed.

Although I would still recommand having a firm level cap that is within the grasp of the average player, that is one of the basic fundamentals for such an RPG mod that you have created.

And there is no rage here, just opinions and discussion to help better the mod.

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • Renown: 946
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 13, 2012, 05:30:31 pm »
next cRPG?

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
« Reply #86 on: June 13, 2012, 05:35:40 pm »

Because it would set a base, or I should say, a "roof" which this mod is missing.

The high leveled players who are around 35 already are very skilled at this game (at least I would hope so)

They do not really need additional points along with their skill to slice the average player down.

Putting the level cap would remove the stat advantage that long time players have over average players and would force the game to be more skill -based rather than level - based.

That is exactly why I kept saying skill does not equal balance, balance comes before skill, and even though a skilled player can take down an unbalanced player.

In the time it takes to hit level 35 you can retire enough times to have 19-20 looms.  Probably more if you factor in XP bonus per gen.

I would take those looms over the few stat points in an instant.

You're trying to create a solution for a problem that doesn't exist; the vast majority of the cRPG population retires at 31, and will continue to retire at 31. 

So there are a few superheroes out there that have level 33-35 toons...who cares.  You can still beat them through teamwork or trickery or simply pulling off some skills.  It's not like World of Warcraft where a lowbie has literally no ability to harm a higher level... everyone in the cRPG universe is quite susceptible to a few bonks on the noggin'.
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline ZigZag

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 13, 2012, 05:41:56 pm »
This.

I just started a new character on the Maxlvl 20 server for fun and levelled him to 21. That took about 2 1/2 hours.
Now he is 15/15 with 5 PS, 5 athletics and 5 wm (~136 wpf).

I can now beat the shit out of any player, even if he has 21 str and 21 agi, when I am the better blocker and the more experienced player, even without looms. Sure, it´s harder, but by no means impossible.

cRPG in it´s current state is one of the newcomers friendliest games/mods I EVER played, no online-multiplayer game makes it so easy to gain money and levels like cRPG.

You are obviously missing the point. But please do go on, about how such a badass player you are.

Offline Rebelyell

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 398
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Bobby
  • IRC nick: boobby
« Reply #88 on: June 13, 2012, 05:44:22 pm »
+2
GENERAL DIAGNOZE

QQ THREAD

Hey, I just met you,
And this is crazy,
You just killed me
Nerf you maybe?

Offline ZigZag

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 13, 2012, 05:47:57 pm »
GENERAL DIAGNOZE

QQ THREAD

General Diagnosis*

And if you are not here to provide a logical statement then please take the short bus out of here.