Author Topic: An equal-Tier shield opposed to the over used Huscarl-shield  (Read 6852 times)

Offline Thalamond

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: An equal-Tier shield opposed to the over used Huscarl-shield
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2011, 03:39:29 pm »
i'd say decrease the forceshield of the shield skill drastically, then a board shield would be ALOT more useful because of its model/size alone, and those medium shields would be medium shields, as they should be, and not psychic shields such as the ones Protoss have in starcraft.
EDIT:
And the medium shields would still be able to cover a skilled player against arrows, if he knew how to block properly with it. (putting some needed skill into shield using)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 03:40:46 pm by Thalamond »

Offline Konrax

• Count
  • Renown: 281
  • Infamy: 107
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Konrax of Chaos
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2011, 03:57:38 pm »
The small and medium shields hardly have a forcefield effect.

Honestly its really only the huscarl that can block 320 degrees around you.

With a 12% chance of blocking directly behind you also.

Offline Thalamond

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2011, 04:03:39 pm »
When i said medium shields i included huscarl shields in that category  :wink:. But saying that the small/medium shields in general dont have a large forceshield is not true. The little bucklers can usually protect a player's front totally if he has enough shield skill.
Duelling shields such as bucklers dont make much sense at the moment because of that.

Offline Konrax

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2011, 04:13:06 pm »
In all honesty I have used a 6 shield build for a long time and exclusively use an elite cavalry shield and it seems fair how effective the block radius is.

The bucklers have been significantly reduced in block radius also and I do see people trying to use them get killed by range easily.

Offline Thalamond

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2011, 04:15:00 pm »
i dont see why it seems fair, cant people just go play Wow if they want magic shields and fireballs  :mad:

Offline La Makina

• Knight
  • Renown: 26
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
  • Dedicated siege tower pusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2011, 04:23:03 pm »
(...) The only problem with it is that a regular housecarl shield never lasts longer then about 1 minute or 6 axe hits whichever comes first. (...)

I use almost exclusively the great axe because of shielders and sometimes I feel it really takes too long to bash a shield (the heirloomed ones I guess). The sidesword (longer than 2h axes and way faster) do not need to 6 hits to kill me. But I guess it is just a matter of perception.

With a 12% chance of blocking directly behind you also.

Good you mention it because once my overhead attack launched right from the back of the shielder just bounced off  :shock: and no one believed what just happened to me  :?

i'd say decrease the forceshield of the shield skill drastically

Agree but add a small forceshield to the lower shields because they are pretty useless against arrows right now: you can raise them up towards ennemy archers and get shot like if you don't carry one (not only in the feet, but also in the shoulders, arms and the head). Presently it is better to run hazardously to dodge arrows than to use a Req 1 shield.

Actually I would imagine a forceshield against range weapons (to compensate what the character sees that the player cannot, e.g. the character cannot raise the shield when the player looks down) and remove it completely against melee weapons. To block an attack the shield should be blocking in the correct way.

Offline Konrax

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2011, 04:25:39 pm »
With my elite cavalry shield blocking range even when facing it is by no means 100% with shield 6 even.

Offline Thalamond

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2011, 04:30:36 pm »
Actually I would imagine a forceshield against range weapons (to compensate what the character sees that the player cannot, e.g. the character cannot raise the shield when the player looks down) and remove it completely against melee weapons. To block an attack the shield should be blocking in the correct way.

While this would be nice, i dont know if it can be implemented (hardcoded perhapse??)

I still disagree that small shields should be able to compensate against ranged weapons with a large forceshield, cause right now, 2handers who dont have shields can dance around to avoid arrows, so why shouldnt the small shield users be able to do that too? They choose to use a small shield themselves so it seems reasonable.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 04:34:35 pm by Thalamond »

Offline EponiCo

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Aine
« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2011, 06:50:02 pm »
I use almost exclusively the great axe because of shielders and sometimes I feel it really takes too long to bash a shield (the heirloomed ones I guess). The sidesword (longer than 2h axes and way faster) do not need to 6 hits to kill me. But I guess it is just a matter of perception.

I have the same feeling. Whenever I loaded out with an axe, either the shielder or me was dead before the shield was down ... I busted shields once or twice on the duel server, but on the battle server you don't have the luxury of making a long 1vs1. But then again with my lighter shield it often exploded after 1 axehit.

Agree but add a small forceshield to the lower shields because they are pretty useless against arrows right now: you can raise them up towards ennemy archers and get shot like if you don't carry one (not only in the feet, but also in the shoulders, arms and the head). Presently it is better to run hazardously to dodge arrows than to use a Req 1 shield.

I disagree here, shields should be balanced around people taking skill in it not around people without. Ever tried to use a melee weapon with only 1 powerstrike and no wpf? A twohander who wants to use a shield has the option to take 5 shield skill while maxing IF, PS, Ath, WM, but many people want to convert instead. This is their choice and they have to write it up to themselves if their shield sucks, just like an archer who puts all in archery can't complain about sucking in melee. Otherwise you just run into either high shield skill being to good or shield skill being worthless investment.
Btw. at close range you can't dodge, so if you keep your shield around until that and then catch point blanc throwing lance, best 500 gold you ever spent.

Offline Diomedes

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
  • Cat
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sootnik_Diomedes
« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2011, 08:53:30 pm »
cRPG is an environment and any calls for a nerf should be considered in the broader balancing perspective.  If shielders become more vulnerable to arrows then we'll have more throwers, bowmen, and xbowmen because their natural nemisis would be much less of a threat.  Also, the invisible part of the shield helps significantly to hold back the weird twisting attacks of some longer close-combat weapons (I see these moves being pulled 80% of the time by Great Long Axemen - no idea why).  Being slower in [almost] every way, shielders will become much easier pickings for their generally faster 2h/polearm opponents.  If the invisible shield gets nerfed, at all, I'd strongly recommend that all shields get a defensive bonus against all ranged weaponry and a slight weight reduction.  This would help shielders to definitely keep the anti-range niche while, perhaps, keeping the balance of close-quarters.

Offline Thalamond

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2011, 12:01:14 am »
yeah, make shields tougher against ranged, but remove most of the forceshield. By the way, i am looking at things in a broad perspective. I dont want to nerf ALL shields, only the ones who clearly do not cover the whole character but because of some magical force do that anyway. This would encourage use of the shields who actually are designed to counter ranged weapons
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 12:03:18 am by Thalamond »

Offline Diomedes

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
  • Cat
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sootnik_Diomedes
« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2011, 12:33:48 am »
yeah, make shields tougher against ranged, but remove most of the forceshield. By the way, i am looking at things in a broad perspective. I dont want to nerf ALL shields, only the ones who clearly do not cover the whole character but because of some magical force do that anyway. This would encourage use of the shields who actually are designed to counter ranged weapons

If we get rid of some magic shields I say we should get rid of all of them.  The enormous shields, which normally block arrows from hitting an individual player, sometimes function to cover the players to their right and left too.  I like it, as a shielder/support, but I could make due without it if it seems overpowered to other players.  As a shielder, I've got a naturally quite narrow perspective on balance and this sort of stuff  :wink:

Offline Konrax

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2011, 02:57:30 pm »
I ran with the huscarl last night for a single round on siege....

I killed over 20 enemies in a row lol, yeah I will admit that the huscarl is OP, but so is side sword, 2h weapons in general (magical swing speed bonus wtf?) Strength Builds, and Throwing (apparently).

You are indeed right about the great poleaxe magical shield bypass skill, it happens to me fairly often when I am directly facing my opponent and the attack still bypasses my shield.

Offline MrShovelFace

• Baron
  • Renown: 119
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
  • Nobody cares about who I am or what I think
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 13, 2011, 11:49:42 pm »
honestly a shield that covers you in 180 degree protection and masks your every movement does not also need to have great durability.

A shield that size should have serious draw backs as well as cookie points to balance it out rather than it's state now where it is among the
best all-around-shields

but the huscarl shield stays i say but there needs to be real motivation to use something other than that
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 11:53:29 pm by MrShovelFace »
Nobody cares about who I am or what I think

Offline Blondin

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
  • aka Blondie
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Blondin, Tuco, Sentenza
  • IRC nick: Blondin
« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2011, 12:13:13 am »
but the huscarl shield stays i say but there needs to be real motivation to use something other than that

Style?