Author Topic: An equal-Tier shield opposed to the over used Huscarl-shield  (Read 6586 times)

Offline Centurion

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: An equal-Tier shield opposed to the over used Huscarl-shield
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2011, 06:00:41 pm »
I want a roman shield. Boeard shields are slow and useless just gimme a high tier roman shield for roman clans and players. All the other clans have their fancy shields for their rp needs except the mid eastern and romans. But at least mid easterns get armor and the stereotypical scimitar.

Offline Polobow

• Count
  • Renown: 267
  • Infamy: 30
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: SoA
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2011, 07:54:32 pm »
Change huscarl's req to 6, change steel shield req to 4, lower the armor, give it a diff model, here you have your shield.

Huscarl should be harder to get, i agree with that. I use my shield more offensively and supportively as a hoplite. Same for my 0 PD snowflakes, to imidate them.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2011, 08:07:13 pm »
All the other clans have their fancy shields for their rp needs except the mid eastern and romans. But at least mid easterns get armor and the stereotypical scimitar.
Crpg's 'time period' doesnt include Romans so its not that strange that you dont have all the Roman stuff you want.

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2011, 10:56:19 pm »
People who want to nerf the huscarl are approaching it the wrong way -- you want a buff so the other shields are useful. OR as this thread is suggesting, other high tier shields.

I would like a shield similar to the huscarl in size and coverage, but would be offset to the left. Your right arm and leg would be visible and easy to hit for enemies, however it would be an ideal shield for TEAM PLAY. It would be perfect for shield walls, general teamplay, and be more realistic, while worse in single combat.

/caring
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Centurion

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2011, 11:10:35 pm »
cRPG didn't include ninja stuff til it was put in late by chadz  because your clan asked. Why can't I ask for some roman stuff.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 11:12:02 pm by Centurion »

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2011, 11:17:33 pm »
Lol ninjas crying about time periods and different cultures being included in the game, thats rich.
Turtles

Offline Diomedes

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • cRPG Player
  • Cat
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sootnik_Diomedes
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2011, 11:49:35 pm »
Fuck To hell with "time period."  This is a mod that allows players to play with persistent online characters.  Loads of in-game stuff is player-made and antithetical to Taleworld's original intentions.  The fact it's a mod inherently declares that already.  So long as it's balanced there aren't any prima facie issues with new gear.  I really wish this issue would stop being raised and debated in such a trite way.

Offline Blondin

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
  • aka Blondie
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Blondin, Tuco, Sentenza
  • IRC nick: Blondin
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2011, 01:38:50 am »
Crpg's 'time period' doesnt include Romans so its not that strange that you dont have all the Roman stuff you want.

Are you talking about the 'time period' when there were plenty of crossdresser?

Offline MountedRhader

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 89
  • cRPG Player
  • Farewell, I am free
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2011, 03:12:41 am »
I want a roman shield. Boeard shields are slow and useless just gimme a high tier roman shield for roman clans and players. All the other clans have their fancy shields for their rp needs except the mid eastern and romans. But at least mid easterns get armor and the stereotypical scimitar.
Heraldic Roman shield!  :lol: I'm all for it.
The real strengths of the Huscarl lie in it's massive health bank and overall coverage. I would like to see 1-2 new shield(s) out there that are equally as powerful with less/more coverage and have nothing to do with Nords.

Offline Diomedes

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • cRPG Player
  • Cat
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sootnik_Diomedes
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2011, 03:31:18 am »
The issue is that the Ancient Greeks, and some other peoples, used the fundamentals of the huscarl: big health, big circle, big armour.  It's a good shield design, and one still used today by riot cops (I was in Athens during the protests last summer and when I saw the police in phalanxes with round shields I lol'd).  IMO it should be slowed down a tad.  It's a sensible shield but, if it becomes slow enough, it will become a handicap for fast 1h players (i.e. no more side sword+huscarl players).

Offline Bjarky

• Earl
  • Renown: 352
  • Infamy: 31
  • U got gold? I bring tea, silk, hemp, camels +more!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Leadership member)
  • Game nicks: Guard_BD_Bjarky, Guard_the_Lederhosen
  • IRC nick: bjarky

Offline Lansamur

• Count
  • Renown: 232
  • Infamy: 46
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Lansamur, The_Prisoner,Beer_Storage, Carebear_Ravenei
  • IRC nick: Lansamur
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2011, 08:36:34 am »
I wonder how many people in this thread actually ever played with a Huscarl themselves...

It's for a reason one of the top-tier shields. Slow to draw, heavy weight, but better than average stats against anything. It's balanced out. Tbh, I don't see a lot of Huscarlshield-users these days. More like Heavy Round Shields or Normans. If I'm correct, the Huscarl costs about 390g upkeep. Too much for most. And combined with a non-spammy 1h (so every 1h below 100 speed on MW-status) you're mostly just too slow against anybody. So, all in all:

Design new ones, but don't replace the Huscarl. For RP-players like me and SeaRaiders for example it's just perfectly looking combined with the complete Nord Huscarl-style.
[22:17] <@chadz> congratz cmpxchg8b, you managed to put 995 errors into the item sheet!
[22:17] <@cmpxchg8b> epic winning
[22:17] <@cmpxchg8b> beat that Fasader

Offline Polobow

• Count
  • Renown: 267
  • Infamy: 30
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: SoA
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2011, 03:55:55 pm »
I wonder how many people in this thread actually ever played with a Huscarl themselves...

It's for a reason one of the top-tier shields. Slow to draw, heavy weight, but better than average stats against anything. It's balanced out. Tbh, I don't see a lot of Huscarlshield-users these days. More like Heavy Round Shields or Normans. If I'm correct, the Huscarl costs about 390g upkeep. Too much for most. And combined with a non-spammy 1h (so every 1h below 100 speed on MW-status) you're mostly just too slow against anybody. So, all in all:

Design new ones, but don't replace the Huscarl. For RP-players like me and SeaRaiders for example it's just perfectly looking combined with the complete Nord Huscarl-style.

The steel shield, which has 2 more requirement, is slower than the huscarl. It is smaller, and is less effective against axes. Yep, it has alot of armour, but it seems not to take notice on the 'bonus v shields' bonus on axes.

Offline Phalanx300

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 24
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2011, 03:58:42 pm »
How about the Dueling Shield?  :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9VG4ClQcJk

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2011, 05:41:56 pm »
The steel shield, which has 2 more requirement, is slower than the huscarl. It is smaller, and is less effective against axes. Yep, it has alot of armour, but it seems not to take notice on the 'bonus v shields' bonus on axes.

What's your point?

I agree. The huscarlshield is too slow for my style (I'm strength based, so it would make me even slower) and I only use it during sieges where I have to fend of/keep busy multiple enemies most of the time.

In battles, I mostly use the knightly heater. It's nice and fast, can take quite some arrows and it looks nice. Breaks rather fast though.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)