Author Topic: An equal-Tier shield opposed to the over used Huscarl-shield  (Read 6537 times)

Offline Diomedes

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
  • Cat
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sootnik_Diomedes
Re: An equal-Tier shield opposed to the over used Huscarl-shield
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2011, 06:38:59 pm »
What's your point?

I agree. The huscarlshield is too slow for my style (I'm strength based, so it would make me even slower) and I only use it during sieges where I have to fend of/keep busy multiple enemies most of the time.

In battles, I mostly use the knightly heater. It's nice and fast, can take quite some arrows and it looks nice. Breaks rather fast though.
I wonder how many people in this thread actually ever played with a Huscarl themselves...

It's for a reason one of the top-tier shields. Slow to draw, heavy weight, but better than average stats against anything. It's balanced out. Tbh, I don't see a lot of Huscarlshield-users these days. More like Heavy Round Shields or Normans. If I'm correct, the Huscarl costs about 390g upkeep. Too much for most. And combined with a non-spammy 1h (so every 1h below 100 speed on MW-status) you're mostly just too slow against anybody. So, all in all:

Design new ones, but don't replace the Huscarl. For RP-players like me and SeaRaiders for example it's just perfectly looking combined with the complete Nord Huscarl-style.

I think I ultimately agree with you guys for the most part.  It's just super frustrating to see good players using the huscarl and side sword.  I know I have a very irritating build, with a warhammer and huscarl, but at least I need to get in close to use it.  Perhaps I'm just intolerant.

I should throw it out there that I use the shield for its health and size.  This seems reasonable, especially considering how much I play support/guard for my team.  People playing more Rambo-y may want a lighter/weaker shield of the same size that could block arrows and move quickly.  Being weaker, axes would take it to pieces faster than a normal huscarl.  Being the same size, though, it would still deal well against multiple enemy and disparate ranged opponents.  Is this a good niche for new shields?

Offline Formless

• Baron
  • Renown: 102
  • Infamy: 74
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2011, 06:41:40 pm »
So many people wining about the housecarl shield.  Suck it up ladies  :D.  Shielders suffer from 2 cripling problems already:

1.)  Killing power
2.)  Range of weapon

Lets not add a third disadvantage of crappy shields. 

I play siege exclusively and I have found the houscarl to be the best for that mode of play.  The only problem with it is that a regular housecarl shield never lasts longer then about 1 minute or 6 axe hits whichever comes first.  If anything the housecarl could use an hp boost.  Every other shield other then the houscarl sucks.  The other shields are usually either too slow or break much too quickly.  The houscarl hits that sweet spot of good enough speed and good enough protection. 

As to changing the requirements for the houscarl from 4 to 6.  That is a bad idea.  It asks for the same restriction for builds as riding a Cataphract horse. 
In summary if you want to see other shields then the houscarl come up with shields comparable with it in hp and speed.

“Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.” - Bruce Lee

Offline Centurion

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2011, 07:33:04 pm »
Boom

Formless said it all. I would still like a roman shield because it is a tried and tested design that works. Make it like a steel round shield in stats just as tall as huscarl in height but not width. Give it a ok speed nothing to nifty. It would be a cool support shield. Doesn't need to be amazing.

Offline BlackMilk

• Polearm Lover
  • Earl
  • Renown: 370
  • Infamy: 144
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: el_Banduri
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2011, 07:51:22 pm »
Shut up Schütze you have no rights and we don't like you.
? :shock:

Offline ToxicKilla

• Knight
  • Renown: 79
  • Infamy: 8
  • For England, and Saint George!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Killmoar_the_Lone_Knight
  • IRC nick: ToxicKilla
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2011, 08:38:13 pm »
+1

Offline Engine

• Noble
  • Renown: 16
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2011, 09:04:48 pm »
High-end shields have needed more viable options for a LONG time.

Offline MountedRhader

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 89
  • cRPG Player
  • Farewell, I am free
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2011, 11:43:04 pm »
High-end shields have needed more viable options for a LONG time.
Yes.

Offline tony

• Noble
  • Renown: 11
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Wizard Company
  • Game nicks: His Holiness, Strife
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2011, 12:11:21 am »
Maybe you guys can suggest some shields to get this ball rolling.

Offline MountedRhader

• Count
  • cRPG Player
  • Farewell, I am free
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2011, 08:06:52 am »
We need something that rivals the Huscarl in strength or could rival it. A roman shield might do the trick, or a massive super pimped heater shield.  :twisted:

Offline ToxicKilla

• Knight
  • Renown: 79
  • Infamy: 8
  • For England, and Saint George!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Killmoar_the_Lone_Knight
  • IRC nick: ToxicKilla
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2011, 08:46:19 am »
Aye, but a Roman shield would ruin the atmosphere more than it aleady is. Maybe just a big heater shield, nearly as wide as the huscarl, but a bit taller.

Offline MountedRhader

• Count
  • cRPG Player
  • Farewell, I am free
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2011, 08:47:17 am »
^
Super pimped heater shield.  8-)

Offline RiPLeY_II

• Knight
  • Renown: 48
  • Infamy: 31
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SHoDaN_THe_SHieLDBReaKeR, RiPLeY_THe_TaLeNTeD
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2011, 04:38:21 pm »
What we need a good old Greek shield. Stats similar to the huscarl's, but a different visual style so not everyone wears the same.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

And also if it could be possible to add a Greek-style spear to use in hoplite-style it would be great. Now the only options we have are war spear, double sided spear and battle fork (awlpike does apply a penalty for 1h-wielding). The most expensive is 3150 (battle fork). All of the other styles have more expensive (and better overall, combining pros and cons) weapons.

A 93/94 speed,150 reach, 30/31 piercing damage for about 6000 would be ok (considering it only has one attack direction).

Offline owens

• Earl
  • Renown: 436
  • Infamy: 389
  • cRPG Player
  • PK_BALLA
    • View Profile
    • Our Website
  • Faction: Persian Kittens
  • Game nicks: PK's nice guy
  • IRC nick: PK world tour pm to donate
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2011, 01:50:12 pm »
Shields that don't fit historically would only add to the atmosphere. It would be an arena in which the greatest warriors and empires of all time fight. I hope that doesn't sound too gay but it is what crpg should be.
More high end shields would only create more play styles, options for tactics and player appearance. Roman, Greek and Uruk hai shields would be welcomed

PK is back

PK is a collection of elites from throughout modern and ancient history. Giants of Calradia individually, as a group these gods of combat shatter all expectations and ascend to a higher plain of victory that only a few have seen before.

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2011, 02:02:24 pm »
Playing in sieges with a normal board shield now. Works fine, just have to watch out for arrows.
It broke about 2 times on me, once after getting kited by Tenne across the walls and taking loads of blows/arrows and once when fighting a guy with a GLB.

It's just slow. The heavy board shield is even more durable, but a bit slower and heavier than the huscarl shield with less!! coverage. You can't get hit in the foot or face when using a heavy board shield, but the same applies to the huscarl. The heavy board shield exposes your sides though, the huscarl still blocks arrows from the side.
The only real reason to take the heavy board shield over the huscarl is style.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline MountedRhader

• Count
  • cRPG Player
  • Farewell, I am free
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2011, 02:24:19 pm »
The only real reason to take the heavy board shield over the huscarl is style.
One of the only reasons I use it.