Author Topic: Pike + 5ps? (question to exp. pike/longspear users)  (Read 8952 times)

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
Re: Pike + 5ps? (question to exp. pike/longspear users)
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2012, 08:02:43 pm »
True story.  It's fun using my long bardiche with only 6 athletics.  I can maneuver so that I'm swinging at least 2 times for every time the enemy can get within range of me.  I could see having higher athletics and being able to almost constantly stay out of enemy melee range with a length over 140-150.

So you do have a point with you 15/21 or 15/24 builds for pikemen.  I think it comes down to preference and how you will be using your character (as most things in cRPG do).  I think we'd both agree anything less than 3 athletics would be painful to play.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Tanken

• King
  • Renown: 1463
  • Infamy: 395
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Tanken
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2012, 08:03:45 pm »
+1
KUTT spear builds are so slowawesome enemy shieldersNH Turtlers can wade in and assassinatedo nothing to you with ease, which we do on a regular frequent basis.  Different story for someone with 7 athletics, they are in and out of your range as a 1h too fast before you can get a good swing.Unless of course you are Tanken and embarrass Turtlers with ease.

Strength spear builds are selfish and generally die easily against decent team.  Plus you dont have option to use a shield and hoplite if needed

Let me know when I encounter a Decent Team  :rolleyes:

I think we'd both agree anything less than 3 athletics would be painful to play.

It's definitely not for everyone, but those with the patience to master it will find it extremely rewarding. You can thwart anyone with this build if you spend enough time with it. The best part is I never even had to wear heavy armor with this build to do good, and still don't.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 08:12:59 pm by Tank Burner »
Below is a Collection of Finalists in my Design my Avatar contest -- They all did Awesome!
Thanks to all of those who contributed.

Offline MacLeod_

• Baron
  • Renown: 131
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
  • There can be only one....Winner of each round.
    • View Profile
    • A Singleplayer Manual
  • Faction: The Highland Clan,KUTT
  • Game nicks: (Crpg)Sword_for_hire,MACLEOD_
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2012, 08:13:06 pm »
+1
KUTT spear builds are so slow enemy shielders can wade in and assassinate you with ease, which we do on a regular frequent basis.  Different story for someone with 7 athletics, they are in and out of your range as a 1h too fast before you can get a good swing.

Strength spear builds are selfish and generally die easily against decent team.  Plus you dont have option to use a shield and hoplite if needed

KUTT spears do not need speed because you are dead from my xbow and kick slashes before you even get a chance to fight them.
Devilize vrs. MacLeod

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2012, 08:40:13 pm »
+3
I think the lesson the OP of this thread should get here is that anything from 15/24 to 30-9 and beyond is viable with an absurdly sized 360 insta polestagger pike/long spear, what matters most is your playstyle.  I would recommend 21/18 or 18/21 to start, though, and max IF over WM.  See if you think you are too slow or too weak for your playstyle and go from there
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

Offline Tanken

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2012, 08:45:56 pm »
I think Smooth kinda sums it up, as well as what Huseby said.

What really matters is how you plan to use it. If you're looking at using this build a lot in Strategus and Team-Settings, then focus more on Strength. If you find that you are going to be soloing a lot without backup or minimal backup, put a little more agility in it. Personally I would definitely try to keep your strength above 21, just so you still have that kill-power.

You're really going to have to learn the different techniques associated with each possible build though, so be prepared to have your ass handed to you for a few days until you learn it. The best technique for a high agility build I've found is to either Strike, then immediately run facing away from them then turn around and attack again, almost like you're doing a Figure-8. It contains them and sometimes will confuse them. The next step would be to engage, swipe past, prepare your attack, jump, release, and spin it into them.

You'll find a lot of fun things you can do with it, but to be clear as to why I choose higher strength...
You have a 1-directional weapon here that you plan to use. The chances of you successfully and time-efficiently striking 3-4 blows on a 15/24 build without assistance are minimal. I like to capitalize on the amount of output in damage I can do with those one or two chances I may get to land on them.

I would also read Caita's guide to Pike and Long Spear usage. He really put together a great collaborative guide on how to properly use these types of spears and you may be surprised to find something in there that will help you a LOT.

http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,25312.0.html
Below is a Collection of Finalists in my Design my Avatar contest -- They all did Awesome!

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Strategus Councillor
  • Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2012, 08:56:28 pm »
what happened to caita?
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Zanze

• Earl
  • Renown: 366
  • Infamy: 69
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
  • Game nicks: Raven_Zan
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2012, 09:05:36 pm »
+1
KUTT spears do not need speed because you are dead from my xbow and kick slashes before you even get a chance to fight them.

Seems KUTT forgot their scrim vs NH where we routinely killed their longspears. Over. And over. And Over.

Oh well, but to each his own. I find I can 3shot most people with 5PS so I don't really believe I need to strength crutch. Though, that may simply be an NA habit. I personally enjoy being able to choose my fights and catching archers and such.

Offline Tanken

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2012, 09:35:15 pm »
+2
Seems KUTT forgot their scrim vs NH where we routinely killed their longspears. Over. And over. And Over.

Oh well, but to each his own. I find I can 3shot most people with 5PS so I don't really believe I need to strength crutch. Though, that may simply be an NA habit. I personally enjoy being able to choose my fights and catching archers and such.

The only one who even did ANYTHING in that Scrim was Argoth Mondaren, and he wasn't even an NH member so GG.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Strategus Councillor
  • Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2012, 10:06:33 pm »
+1
I'll post this pic for tank burner (to be used in his previous post):

- Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Bulzur

• Earl
  • Renown: 465
  • Infamy: 102
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild.
  • Game nicks: Guard_Bulzur
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2012, 10:37:45 pm »
21/18, full WM, PS and Ath. My favourite by far and I believe Chase used that too. It gives you very good damage coupled with good maneuverability.

This is the plan.
But i have to stick with a 24/15 for now, since my longspear isn't masterworked yet.
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
[19:32] <@chadz> if(dave_ukr_is_in_server) then rain_chance = 98%;

Offline Bazinga

• Count
  • Renown: 181
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Bazigna
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2012, 11:36:59 pm »
I tried something different, I went for 13 / 27 with 4 PS, 9 Ath, 8 Wm. Works surprisingly well, you're incredibly fast on the battlefield and can support a very wide reach of teammates. It also kills alot, just because of your speed and maneuvering.
It's not an easy build to use, because you gotta hit the enemy right in the sweet sport, otherwise you WILL glance. But if you can master it, you're one deadly supportive pikeman.

Offline Korrupted

• Knight
  • Renown: 43
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2012, 02:04:46 am »
I really enjoyed 18/21 with long spear. Fast enough I can usually 2 shot people as there stunned and its king in cluster fucks where you can pick off people and wade in and out with 7ath.

Offline Zanze

• Earl
  • Renown: 366
  • Infamy: 69
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
  • Game nicks: Raven_Zan
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2012, 02:06:24 am »
18/21 with max WM is what im trying this gen. Freaking. Awesome. 2 shots are cake, especially with head hits.

Offline Beauchamp

• Earl
  • Renown: 427
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
    • Personal portfolio
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2012, 01:34:38 pm »
conclusion: any build is fine  :D
OOODDIIINVALHALLAAAAAAA on the 20th of April 2011: What I know is that... heh, eh ja how can I explain? ...deh feeling to believe in Odin is right, dat is what I say, ja?!

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2012, 04:09:51 pm »
I'd suggest 6 or even 7 PS but no wpf, also a longspear instead of a pike, sticking it inbetween allies is a lot easier with low wpf, but unlike a pike the longspear don't get stunned for ages if you glance/are blocked.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.