Author Topic: Banner System  (Read 9165 times)

Offline Andswaru

• Duke
  • Renown: 554
  • Infamy: 130
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • SeaRaider_
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen of Fenada / SeaRaiders
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Andswaru
Re: Banner System
« Reply #60 on: May 29, 2012, 10:31:16 pm »
+1
I think you should have went the other way with the banner balance.  The problem shouldn't have been seen from a faction/clan perspective, but from the one man pubber's perspective.  Factions were already rolling servers with banners, now only the actual members will be rolling the server, making it even more unbalanced.  It actually balanced teams out some when you get some random noobs who throw on the faction banner to counter the "pro's" in the faction. 

I think you should keep your new "pay for banner slot" idea, however I think you should totally change the way balance in public servers works.  You should try to keep people balanced by banner (when possible), however you should balance by class/equipment selected, skills, and either something like current K:D ratio, win:loss ratio, or overall k:d ratio (or even better, damage dealt:damage received ratio either short term or long term).

I think you'd still be able to balance most of the banners together with that algorithm, but I'm tired of teams being stacked in public servers.  I say this as someone who routinely enjoys having the most people on with our banner in the NA1 public battle server.  It seems like Hospitallers always have the most people on, and we're always getting x5's.  I'd rather have even teams (and still play with our faction members,  but only if the teams are balanced first).

You need an EU4, it works on beautiful balance, pure balance and no banner balance.
Smooth is the admin NA deserves. Not being that much better, EU deserves Thomek.
[18:25] <@chadz> soon(tm)

Offline Canary

• Marshall
  • Renown: 826
  • Infamy: 202
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
« Reply #61 on: May 30, 2012, 03:59:28 pm »
+1
From irc:

[08:48] <@cmp> if you won the auction you can change the color on the website.
[08:48] <Canary> the backside color?
[08:48] <Canary> of heraldic armor?
[08:49] <@cmp> yes

So, in theory, the slot you have won't matter at all.

Offline Lemmy_Winks

• Count
  • Renown: 241
  • Infamy: 230
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Lemmy_Winks
« Reply #62 on: May 30, 2012, 06:36:15 pm »
This looks great, maybe my favorite update in the patch. Finally a clan banner will mean something. And obviously paying is a necessity, so many 1 man clans/in actives with the old banner pack/system. Although i don't think it would be hard to set a condition in the code were a clan can only purchase a banner if the clan has 10 or more members (main characters only) to prevent this one man clan stuff *cough* bale o hay.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 06:59:57 pm by Lemmy_Winks »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #63 on: May 30, 2012, 09:04:49 pm »
So, anyone got a suggestion on a banner making tutorial? Also, can you upload a new banner after you buy the slot? I'm guessing you can change it as much as you want for your 30 day ownership of it, but wanted to make sure.

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline Canary

• Marshall
  • Renown: 826
  • Infamy: 202
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
« Reply #64 on: May 31, 2012, 02:33:04 am »
+1
Do heraldic backgrounds change in game with each new banner that is updated?
[08:48] <@cmp> if you won the auction you can change the color on the website.
[08:48] <Canary> the backside color?
[08:48] <Canary> of heraldic armor?
[08:49] <@cmp> yes

Just confirming that upon your selection of a custom file to become your clan's banner you enter a html color code to serve as the background.

For people to see it, I believe they have to have version 0.7.5 or higher of the launcher, the latest patch version installed, and also have to have relogged since whenever time your banner was implemented from wherever fantasy space those things go when you upload them.

So, anyone got a suggestion on a banner making tutorial? Also, can you upload a new banner after you buy the slot? I'm guessing you can change it as much as you want for your 30 day ownership of it, but wanted to make sure.

A good start is by taking the banner template found near the bottom of this post (which, incidentally, was by the same upstanding gentleman who started this thread) and seeing what you can do with it. If you're hopelessly lost or don't want to take the time to learn how to use some program like GIMP or Photoshop by yourself as I did this here tutorial isn't too bad. I'm sure you can find more if you search around, too. General tutorials on image editing could help you, as well.

Yes, you upload the banner and change the background color (at the same time) after you purchase the banner slot. From what it seems, it's possible to change it again, though I'm unsure if there are any restrictions on how often you can do so.

Offline Dezilagel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 722
  • Infamy: 209
  • cRPG Player
  • (X) probably goes well with Nutella
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guards, Guards!
  • Game nicks: Dezi_the_Bagel
  • IRC nick: Dezilagel
« Reply #65 on: May 31, 2012, 03:08:08 am »
tl;dr but here's my opinion:

1. This is fucking awesome, thanks for adding it.

2. If a server gets rolled by a clan then either accept that you're outmatched and leave the server or whatever like a little bitch or MAN UP and beat the crap out of that clan by yourself. YOU make your team, your team doesn't make you.

3. To any and all LARP/realism/milism turds crying about the custom banners: Just go fuck yourself and allow people to have some fun with their creativity. It also helps easing up on the seriousness which plagues this game. (from my part too sometimes I admit) If your eyes cannot bear the strain of watching TEXT on a banner (the horror!) then you can just edit your own files anyway.

Quote from: Rumblood
You fuck, or you get fucked.
Valour Multghulis - All Krems Must Die

Offline Lemmy_Winks

• Count
  • Renown: 241
  • Infamy: 230
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Lemmy_Winks
« Reply #66 on: May 31, 2012, 03:23:21 am »
If your eyes cannot bear the strain of watching TEXT on a banner (the horror!) then you can just edit your own files anyway.

Can you? When the game loads these banner textures onto the tabards it looks for a specifically named file in a specific location. After the patch the launcher now updates these banners by automatically installing up to date versions of this banner texture file in your game files. So it would not be possible to change the banners as you see fit, if you did your changes would just be replaced with the official banner textures whenever you launched the game. You could not use the launcher, but eh need updates.

Offline Dezilagel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 722
  • Infamy: 209
  • cRPG Player
  • (X) probably goes well with Nutella
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guards, Guards!
  • Game nicks: Dezi_the_Bagel
  • IRC nick: Dezilagel
« Reply #67 on: May 31, 2012, 03:46:35 am »
Can you? When the game loads these banner textures onto the tabards it looks for a specifically named file in a specific location. After the patch the launcher now updates these banners by automatically installing up to date versions of this banner texture file in your game files. So it would not be possible to change the banners as you see fit, if you did your changes would just be replaced with the official banner textures whenever you launched the game. You could not use the launcher, but eh need updates.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 03:14:39 pm by Dezilagel »

Quote from: Rumblood
You fuck, or you get fucked.
Valour Multghulis - All Krems Must Die

Offline Tom Cruise

• Duke
  • Renown: 685
  • Infamy: 144
  • cRPG Player
  • All I do is shitpost anymore in this game.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tom_Cruise_Dota_Fanatic
  • IRC nick: Tom_Cruise
« Reply #68 on: May 31, 2012, 04:07:41 am »
Auctioning for banner is one of the stupidest things they could have done. Why should we pay for banners? That makes no sense what so ever. I can honestly not think of a logical reason to do it. Its a waste of money for even one auction (and even if you can get one with limited slots), but you have to renew it as well? What is that shit? All this is going to do is cause massive banner stacking even more than before and more complaints from clans not having their banners up (including mine  :evil:). Needs to be an immediate change to the old system to just simply add a banner if requested and approved I say, simple as that.

Offline Chagan_Arslan

• Earl
  • Renown: 372
  • Infamy: 155
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Chagan_Arslan
« Reply #69 on: May 31, 2012, 12:40:52 pm »
anyone had problems seeing the uploaded banner ? some of the guys see our gk skull ingame when they took the clan banner but some including me a crossbow on yellow background ;p what do ?

Offline Largg

• Earl
  • Renown: 321
  • Infamy: 36
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 31, 2012, 01:02:41 pm »
+1
I see many creative players are already expressing their artistic talents. Who knows what kind of masterpieces we'll be seeing in the future.

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #71 on: May 31, 2012, 04:15:39 pm »

2. If a server gets rolled by a clan then either accept that you're outmatched and leave the server or whatever like a little bitch or MAN UP and beat the crap out of that clan by yourself. YOU make your team, your team doesn't make you.

3. To any and all LARP/realism/milism turds crying about the custom banners: Just go fuck yourself and allow people to have some fun with their creativity. It also helps easing up on the seriousness which plagues this game. (from my part too sometimes I admit) If your eyes cannot bear the strain of watching TEXT on a banner (the horror!) then you can just edit your own files anyway.
Holy shit, I agree with Dezilagel... *kills myself in embarrassment and disgrace.*
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Crob28

• Count
  • Renown: 247
  • Infamy: 31
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 31, 2012, 04:32:38 pm »

I agree with part 2 in principle but then again, take eu2 this afternoon, where 16/29 of the players on one team were the greyzhinas, it got a bit stupid, only way to get a multi 95% of time is to get lucky and land on their team

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #73 on: May 31, 2012, 04:37:30 pm »
I agree with part 2 in principle but then again, take eu2 this afternoon, where 16/29 of the players on one team were the greyzhinas, it got a bit stupid, only way to get a multi 95% of time is to get lucky and land on their team
Crob clan players aren't automaticly better than unclanned players, when Byz rapes a server it isn't 'cuss they get superpowers from being in a clan, it's 'cuss they simply are better players.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Crob28

• Count
  • Renown: 247
  • Infamy: 31
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 31, 2012, 04:41:28 pm »
+1
Crob clan players aren't automaticly better than unclanned players, when Byz rapes a server it isn't 'cuss they get superpowers from being in a clan, it's 'cuss they simply are better players.

I'm not denying that they are good individual players, simply saying that having so many players teamed together in overwhelming numbers is an issue.  And clans may not have "superpowers" but the extra teamwork that they have is simply too much for most teams.

EDIT : Just to help make my point :

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/193/mb33zp.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/215/mb34w.jpg/

Note in the first pic Nogu had been switched over just 2mins before, his score comes from the rounds he was with his mates in earlier rounds.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 04:53:44 pm by Crob28 »