Author Topic: Throwing  (Read 2562 times)

Offline Rusty_Shacklefjord

• Baron
  • Renown: 90
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
  • Pro-pain
    • View Profile
  • Faction: One Man Army
  • Game nicks: Erik_Magnusson
Throwing
« on: May 22, 2012, 10:58:44 pm »
I too am not a bit tamed, I too am untranslatable,
I sound my barbaric YAWP over the roofs of the world.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1494
  • Infamy: 1348
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
Re: Throwing
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 11:03:36 pm »
Throwing is the only ranged class atm that does solid damage all the time. Dunno whats the cause but throwing weapons don't give a fuck am I wearing any armor or not, am I running from it or charging forward, they hurt pretty much the same every time.

I'm not sure what your monthy stat reports tell you, but I think that throwing is the most popular "sidearm" these days, at least on EU servers. Everyone is hybrid thrower...

Offline Rebelyell

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 398
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Bobby
  • IRC nick: boobby
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 11:10:47 pm »
+3
... QQ thread
another qq about ranged
Throwing IS Balance or UP
low amount of ammo
shity acc
not blockable in ranged mode wich is stupid
Stop that shit.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Hey, I just met you,
And this is crazy,
You just killed me
Nerf you maybe?

Offline Wraist

• Knight
  • Renown: 44
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 11:42:19 pm »
... QQ thread
another qq about ranged
Throwing IS Balance or UP
low amount of ammo
shity acc
not blockable in ranged mode wich is stupid
Stop that shit.

I'm interested in how throwing is UP. Low amount of ammo is good, for the most part [lances being an exception], accuracy isn't shitty, I don't know what you mean by not blockable in ranged mode [that they can't block when you can throw them?]. Most throwing weapons are decent emergency melee weapons, I've killed several shiedlers with a melee jarid, you can jump and hit a shielder in the face a decent number of times, and they wreck shields.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 11:47:15 pm »
+1
ammo & accuracy are the balancing factor.  Oh ya and having to sacrifice 100WPF (and therefore actually spending points in Weapon master, unlike 75% of 2h Gorilla Juice Heads) to be able to throw in less than 20 weight of armor.

Compared to xbows, throwing is A SIGNIFICANT investment, and therefore justifed.  Look at the numbers

NA1 stats (way more throwers than EU)

Crossbow            1,932,102  5.10%
Crossbow (mounted)  989,434    2.61%
TOTAL:  7.71%

Thrown              1,554,781  4.10%
Thrown (mounted)    78,197     0.21%
TOTAL: 4.31%
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 11:50:03 pm by Digglez »

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
  • Renown: 1856
  • Infamy: 338
  • Sky belongs to Asagods as long as the raven flies.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Son_Of_Odin
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 04:58:54 am »
Throwing is fine. Not OP, but not UP either. I would say that it is in perfect balance :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

There is no sight in my third eye

Offline owens

• Earl
  • Renown: 436
  • Infamy: 389
  • cRPG Player
  • PK_BALLA
    • View Profile
    • Our Website
  • Faction: Persian Kittens
  • Game nicks: PK's nice guy
  • IRC nick: PK world tour pm to donate
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 05:29:51 am »
Throwing is of course very easily countered unless you are preoccupied this good. But throwing requires too much wpf. The sacrifice of 7 skill points is enough having to sacrifice another 3 into WM is ridiculous. 10 points is a lot especially for those with shield skill. To make a Roman legionnaire takes 14 more skill points than to make a 2H or polearm fighter. 
PK is back

PK is a collection of elites from throughout modern and ancient history. Giants of Calradia individually, as a group these gods of combat shatter all expectations and ascend to a higher plain of victory that only a few have seen before.

Offline tankmen

• Knight
  • Renown: 65
  • Infamy: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 06:38:13 am »
ammo & accuracy are the balancing factor.  Oh ya and having to sacrifice 100WPF (and therefore actually spending points in Weapon master, unlike 75% of 2h Gorilla Juice Heads) to be able to throw in less than 20 weight of armor.

Compared to xbows, throwing is A SIGNIFICANT investment, and therefore justifed.  Look at the numbers

NA1 stats (way more throwers than EU)

Crossbow            1,932,102  5.10%
Crossbow (mounted)  989,434    2.61%
TOTAL:  7.71%

Thrown              1,554,781  4.10%
Thrown (mounted)    78,197     0.21%
TOTAL: 4.31%
throwing with 100 WPF is hybrid, hes saying pure throwing, he even uses your clan as a reference to how throwing should be used, its the pure throwers like chucky  tosser who use it as a main weapon, it IMO ruins the game because he can 1-2 most anything and is fast enough to grab more before you can catch him and getting closer only helps him hit you. personally idc about the damage , it is alot?yes. should it be lowered? idk im biased but i think they need and animation nerf like archers got cause right now every thrower flings their throwing weapons out of fucking no where, they dont even reach, it just appears in their hand. Maybe if the time it took between each throw was increased there wouldnt be as much hate. cause right now in most cases a thrower will fling all if not most of this ammo before you can get to him.
The purpose of wearing plate has become nothing more than crippling yourself to look like a knight... or maybe its my lack of athletics

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 06:43:32 am »
+1
I don't care about realism. Throwing weapons is not overpowered, if anything it's underpowered (cav/piker speaking btw). It needs significant investment (several skill-points and wpf), has low ammo and piss accuracy. What positives it has is a good rate of fire, good damage and that it's useable with a shield. Doesn't sound overpowered to me at all.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Tyrianstrasz

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 08:38:30 am »
Considering you need at least 5 power throw (heavy throwing axes) To be a good thrower, and 7 if you want to use lances, and 9 if you want to do hero damage, alongwith 130 WPF, if you are lightly armoured, far more for medium/heavy armour.

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 09:25:36 am »
15/24 thrower is great fun, but I would hardly call it OP.

It only ventures into the land being awesome when it an engineer is helping to deploy huge amounts of ammo to create a complete fucking shit storm of thrown crap.
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline Lactose_the_intolerant

• Earl
  • Renown: 460
  • Infamy: 71
  • Byzantium the intolerant, lactose_the_...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 09:43:57 am »
+1
i cant believe a thread like this has poped up. Im even lowing my wpf and my pt from 6 too 5 because i find it UP compared to the downsides for throwing.

throwing hybrid is the class that has the most drawbacks imo. the investing you have to do to be able to chuck those weapons are insane, but you dont see it because you dont get to deal with it!
You have your advantage being a pure class, did you notice it? because i sure do, i dont get to dance around with a massive sword giving out huge damage and beeing able to take many hits, Im a hybrid thrower, i die in 1 hit from a 2h and sometimes even from a 1h (even in masterwork gear)
its not like if it was cav. invest 5 riding and there you go! your a really cool hybrid!

ps : i like the people that +1 your post :
-A cav (wanting to nerf it's natural counter)
- Leshma (derp)
-an agiwhore shielder with a buckler (of course you gonna take massive damage if your an agi build with very low armor  and no head armor :rolleyes: )

« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 09:53:29 am by Lactose_the_intolerant »

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2012, 11:46:45 am »
+2
throwing with 100 WPF is hybrid, hes saying pure throwing, he even uses your clan as a reference to how throwing should be used, its the pure throwers like chucky  tosser who use it as a main weapon, it IMO ruins the game because he can 1-2 most anything and is fast enough to grab more before you can catch him and getting closer only helps him hit you. personally idc about the damage , it is alot?yes. should it be lowered? idk im biased but i think they need and animation nerf like archers got cause right now every thrower flings their throwing weapons out of fucking no where, they dont even reach, it just appears in their hand. Maybe if the time it took between each throw was increased there wouldnt be as much hate. cause right now in most cases a thrower will fling all if not most of this ammo before you can get to him.

Try one yourself.  Cocking back to throw at an archer is very dangerous, they can easily sidestep a throw, whereas you cannot easily dodge an arrow.  There is a large delay between throws, countless throwers die with weapons in their hands attempting to get another throw off.

Offline STOPHammerTime

• Baron
  • Renown: 105
  • Infamy: 25
  • cRPG Player
  • Cant touch this
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2012, 03:17:47 pm »
Im by no means a good thrower so I cant speak for all but I certainly dont feel OP.

With my 12 hammers, I am lucky to get 1 kill per round and even reaching double figures by the end of a map is a huge acheivement for me.

my opinion is obviously going to be biased so I accept it wont count for much but I do not feel a nerf is necesarry, I enjoy playing as a pure thrower because quite frankly no one expects you to be useful! Its a good way to play the game and not get frustrated.

I cant explain myself very well, but im currently on the server atm. I have 2-5. Leshma having just joined is already on 5-0.

You bring nothing positive to any game server except making a nice easy target for cav and archers.

Offline Rico

• King
  • Renown: 1021
  • Infamy: 158
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rico, Mila
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2012, 04:40:39 pm »
Historically, throwing weapons were used as cheap disposable projectiles that you could launch at the enemy before moving into melee range. Throwing axes, for example, weren't actually used to kill anyone - they just bounced around and disrupted enemy formations.

It's the first time I've heard about that. How do you know that? Has someone tested it? Maybe the person who did the test was not skilled enough? I mean, even stones thrown from a wall killed people, at least by kicking them of the ladders. I just can't believe that throwing weapons did not have killing potencial. Used professionaly, I'm sure they had.

See what humans are able to do: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggDfJLB8jTk
No repeater crossbow is that fast. This is why I think that the throwing weapons should not be nerfed. People really have the potencial to use them correctly.
Streaming cRPG, Supreme Commander and Age of Empires II on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/HeavenTV