Author Topic: One nerf and one buff  (Read 2172 times)

Offline Zisa

• Count
  • Renown: 272
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I am not at liberty to say.
Re: One nerf and one buff
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2012, 07:48:21 pm »
+1
Warband doesn't work the same way in SP and MP. In MP even if you walk or run you can freely turn around as fast as you want (resulting in idiotic GLA whirlwind attacks until a quite old Native patch made it impossible by setting a very soft limit).

More dancing corrupts the combat into a random succession of spam attempts on top of a ping competition, rather than rewarding those that are better at the game aka getting their hits in with feints, holds and chamberblocks.

Turning to the right then moving forward shouldn't be faster than strafing to the right for quick reactions. If you don't agree on that, you are ugly and stupid. There's a reason nobody ever turned their back at their opponent in a real fight and that's exactly this.

Turning should reduce your movement speed and acceleration, as well as moving at high speed or accelerating should reduce your turning abilities. The latter being the most important problem with the current situation. Only a weightless Osain Bolt should be able to sprint forward in one direction and instantly make a 90 degree turn without losing speed. In this game we all are weightless Osain Bolts.

Btw the maximum speed of everybody should be increased, with the same acceleration formula.
Riiiiight.
I like getting killed by the guys that are 'better at the game' who are smart enough to figure out timing and handle a dancer.

I 'do not agree' with that, my ugliness or stupidity is not a factor though, as this is a game. Movements are analogies, not exact representations. When you start adding limits because of 'reality' to this flawed model you are detracting from the flow of the game.

So why do you really want this? You want everybody to stand toe to toe until a block failure or to enjoy, as you put it, a ping spam competition? Know what is daft? Holding a weapon in the ready position as long as you want then swinging it as well as if you had wound up and swung immediately. There is an endless list of what is daft in the game, but you advocate eliminating a playstyle because you do not like it.
Alas nodachi
remembers glorious spring
a tin can's hatchet.
http://www.moddb.com/members/psychotropicdog

Offline ArchonAlarion

• Baron
  • Renown: 98
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Late 15th cen. English Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ArchonAlarion, DON'T_WAKE_GRANDPA, NASTY_TURTLE, UNARMED_CLASS_ DON'T_BAN_PLS, et al.
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2012, 08:14:36 pm »
I 'do not agree' with that, my ugliness or stupidity is not a factor though, as this is a game. Movements are analogies, not exact representations. When you start adding limits because of 'reality' to this flawed model you are detracting from the flow of the game.

Or adding to it, depending on your subjective preferences. Mount and Blade wouldn't have been created if it wasn't for some turkish dude's hunkering for 'reality'. I'll bet you a +3 katana that Armagan created directional combat as a vehicle for realism and not the other way around. But you probably already have all the katanas you'll ever need.

So why do you really want this? You want everybody to stand toe to toe until a block failure or to enjoy, as you put it, a ping spam competition? Know what is daft? Holding a weapon in the ready position as long as you want then swinging it as well as if you had wound up and swung immediately. There is an endless list of what is daft in the game, but you advocate eliminating a playstyle because you do not like it.

I think players would naturally compensate by increasing athletics and weapon master, playing cavalry, playing a ranged class, and/or favoring faster weapons. Swinging 2h and polearms around like light-sabers is Hollywood cool and all, but it detracts from what I see as the flow of the game.

Offline ZigZag

• Noble
  • Renown: 16
  • Infamy: 46
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2012, 08:31:37 pm »
If you nerf infantry turning / movement speed, then imagine how much fun the cavalry will have.  :twisted:
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 08:33:10 pm by ZigZag »

Offline Zisa

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2012, 08:38:28 pm »
Or adding to it, depending on your subjective preferences. Mount and Blade wouldn't have been created if it wasn't for some turkish dude's hunkering for 'reality'. I'll bet you a +3 katana that Armagan created directional combat as a vehicle for realism and not the other way around. But you probably already have all the katanas you'll ever need.

I think players would naturally compensate by increasing athletics and weapon master, playing cavalry, playing a ranged class, and/or favoring faster weapons. Swinging 2h and polearms around like light-sabers is Hollywood cool and all, but it detracts from what I see as the flow of the game.
Stay on target Red 5!
Alas nodachi
a tin can's hatchet.

Offline Froto_the_Loc

• Count
  • Renown: 252
  • Infamy: 94
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
  • CRaPGame
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Locia
  • Game nicks: Froto_the_loc
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2012, 08:51:30 pm »
I'd be able to understand this topic if I knew what dancing was.
Explain plox.
Hooray for customization and hybridization!
Down with monotonous pure classes!

Offline Zisa

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2012, 09:13:34 pm »
Explain plox.
You dodge enemy attack, then come in and strike. Dance out of their range, strike again...
Alas nodachi
a tin can's hatchet.

Offline Froto_the_Loc

• Count
  • Renown: 252
  • Infamy: 94
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
  • CRaPGame
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Locia
  • Game nicks: Froto_the_loc
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2012, 10:11:39 pm »
You dodge enemy attack, then come in and strike. Dance out of their range, strike again...
Oh, so it's like people with longswords and 18/21 builds.
Cause my 4 athletics doesn't permit that.
Hooray for customization and hybridization!
Down with monotonous pure classes!

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2603
  • Infamy: 2727
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2012, 10:33:21 pm »
+1
Explain plox.

http://www.tubechop.com/watch/377101

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2012, 12:49:36 am »
Riiiiight.
I like getting killed by the guys that are 'better at the game' who are smart enough to figure out timing and handle a dancer.

I don't think I have actual problems handling dancers in a duel, but they sure are boring as hell to fight. Because they keep on trying to get out of my reach, they completely suppress my creativity since making proper feints is risky if their intent is to spam. So I just default to Paul mode and the fight becomes five times longer than what it should. Also, I don't really want to reduce dancing, I only want the correct tools to be used in the correct situations. Turning around while moving "forward" shouldn't be the fastest way to dance. Strafing should.

As time goes by, everybody learns to block better and reach/movement speed becomes more important as a result. This has been going on for years now and I think the combat was much more fun back when only the good players could reliably block decent feints. The whole game was intented and has been balanced with that skill level in mind (if you don't believe me just look at how ridiculous the ranged weapons are in Native, they are balanced around melee weapons that kill very swiftly).

Offline Zisa

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2012, 01:26:48 am »
I don't think I have actual problems handling dancers in a duel, but they sure are boring as hell to fight. Because they keep on trying to get out of my reach, they completely suppress my creativity since making proper feints is risky if their intent is to spam. So I just default to Paul mode and the fight becomes five times longer than what it should. Also, I don't really want to reduce dancing, I only want the correct tools to be used in the correct situations. Turning around while moving "forward" shouldn't be the fastest way to dance. Strafing should.

As time goes by, everybody learns to block better and reach/movement speed becomes more important as a result. This has been going on for years now and I think the combat was much more fun back when only the good players could reliably block decent feints. The whole game was intented and has been balanced with that skill level in mind (if you don't believe me just look at how ridiculous the ranged weapons are in Native, they are balanced around melee weapons that kill very swiftly).

Help! I'm being suppressed!

Ah the good old days. Well, if you blocked one of MY feints in the good old days you were already dead, so I will assume you mean block an attack after a feint. If wading through unskilled newbies was more fun, I do not think you and I can see the same things.
Alas nodachi
a tin can's hatchet.

Offline Ujin

• King
  • Renown: 1057
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2012, 01:13:35 pm »
Just buff the game speed.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2012, 01:17:26 pm »
So this way you're omitting the movement part of the combat and generally making it two stationary players exchanging blows, feints and blocks? Doesn't sound very appealing to me.

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2012, 01:54:22 pm »
Help! I'm being suppressed!

Ah the good old days. Well, if you blocked one of MY feints in the good old days you were already dead, so I will assume you mean block an attack after a feint. If wading through unskilled newbies was more fun, I do not think you and I can see the same things.

Suppressed = bad word choice. Should have been "denied" or something of the like. I suppose you understand anyway. And when I say blocking a feint yes I mean the real attack after the feints. By feint I mean the whole succession of false attacks followed by the real one.

What I said is that a combat between similarly skilled players was more fun than it is now, when blocking wasn't that trivial. Of course if I could time travel back then with my present day experience I would crush the majority of players. You can already experience that to a lesser degree by playing on 22nd siege if you manage to bypass the arrowstorm.

So this way you're omitting the movement part of the combat and generally making it two stationary players exchanging blows, feints and blocks? Doesn't sound very appealing to me.

Standing combat can be much more interesting than what you'd think, especially with the likes of Saint. And it sure is one of the best ways to learn the basics of combat faster. Of course the heart of the combat is when both the attack/block mechanisms and movement are balanced, but I find it appaling that today new players think having a long and fast weapon while moving randomly is the key to everything when they are confronted to the blocking learning curve.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2012, 02:08:32 pm »
Standing combat can be much more interesting than what you'd think, especially with the likes of Saint. And it sure is one of the best ways to learn the basics of combat faster. Of course the heart of the combat is when both the attack/block mechanisms and movement are balanced, but I find it appaling that today new players think having a long and fast weapon while moving randomly is the key to everything when they are confronted to the blocking learning curve.

So how will you go about defeating good blockers? Speed up the swing speed too much and high/medium pings suffer. Leave it as it is and duels will literally last forever. Better footwork is what wins duels between good blockers.

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2012, 02:24:26 pm »
+1
I honestly doubt high pingers suffer more when the weapons are slightly faster than when people can dance as fast as to phase through each other like qwarks/pushing each other/teleporting. This already happens and is definetly due to high ping/server not keeping up, whereas wrong block/attack animation problems occur clientside.

Of course the best solution would be to increase the number of attack directions or even make it completely free in 360 degrees, with blocks working the same way and covering a certain radius, but we will have to wait for M&B 2 or another game for that.