Author Topic: Feedback: boring(XP-System)  (Read 4912 times)

Offline Osiris

• King
  • Renown: 1449
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Osiris. Aethelstan
  • IRC nick: _Osiris_
Re: Feedback: boring(XP-System)
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2011, 07:50:59 pm »
I do agree that under the old system it was much harder to gain great items. but then the game just hits stalemate with everyone in plate :P its hard to find a good middle ground and for that i do not envy chadz
i make terrible warband videos! https://youtu.be/jUdVGIOuULk

Offline Vicious666

• Baron
  • Renown: 88
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
  • becouse an image is worth a thousand words
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Vicious666_xXx
  • IRC nick: Vicious666
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2011, 08:05:13 pm »
I do agree that under the old system it was much harder to gain great items. but then the game just hits stalemate with everyone in plate :P its hard to find a good middle ground and for that i do not envy chadz

bullshit

majority of ppl not where playng in plate   plate user where a minority, expecial becouse playng on plate required much ,much levels, or you where very slow, consider i played all my crpg  life with no cav, and only tryed mameluk      on last 2-3 weeks of  old crpg.      and i never  feeled the needs to play as cavalry.

a fucktard idea?  wpf  bonus from gen, that allowed  ppl in plate to remove the plate malus.        (a very fallacious  development imho)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 08:06:23 pm by Vicious666 »

Offline IG_Saint

• Count
  • Renown: 196
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: IG
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2011, 08:06:28 pm »
Problem is, there isn't enough motivation to play. (at least for me folks)
I agree with the OP.

I agree as well. Here's my problem: I play mount&blade for the combat system which too me is alot of fun. I play cRPG to add goals to the mount&blade combat system. Here's how a typical character goes for me: start as peasant, reach lvl15 and buy cheap gear set (20k) at which point I start becoming moderately effective. Reach lvl20-25, buy good gear (30-40k) and reach full potential. The next 5 lvls take long and bring minimum improvements, a couple of skills points don't make that much difference to how good I do and I already have all the gear that I want. The only goals left at that point is get insanely expensive gear that I can only use very occasionally or go for retirement and get a minor improvement to a weapon.
I have more than 10 alts, all of them lower than 30, only 1 of which is retired (pre-patch retirement as well), just because the end game doesn't hold enough to interest me. At the same time those people who already have retired are only retiring faster and faster, which means that even if I force myself to grind to lvl31, the improvement that I get from retiring is absolutely meaningless.

chadz already said that he didn't like the way retirement worked out, so most likely changes are in the works. I'm patient enough to see how that turns out. I can always start another alt to keep me going.

I also feel that there's just too little influence over the speed of lvling. I can play at my absolute best or I can suicide charge and read webcomics while waiting to respawn and it often has little effect as to whether my team wins or not. It's often just a complete coin flip depending on the teams, the autobalancer and the (sometimes insanely unbalanced) maps.

What I would prefer is a system that actually rewards good playing, the problem is how do you define good playing? In battle there are so many ways of contributing to the goal, that it's impossible to reward all of them. In siege it's much easier, reward players for kills made near the flag or simply time spent near the flag. And even these things don't account for everything. What about the player that bravely sallies out to destroy ladders, or the player that sacrifices himself to close the gate?

So while I don't like the current system, it is still a huge improvement over the old one and I'm really not sure how it could be improved without screwing over certain playstyles.

Offline balbaroth

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2011, 08:20:20 pm »
withouth consider that main point of an rpg, is  grow and develop a char, together with his equip
i started a friend to crpg 3 day ago he already buyed all plates, charger , etc. and he cant use it.

crpg losed  deepness with this xp/gold system. together with much willing of the player to develop theyr char (yes include aiming and dreaming  for a nice equip)

Chad say he wanna remove the grind and make  crpg more accessible to  new player, he got the opposite, he bored to hell the old player,   removing all theyr willing to grind, since there is nothing to accomplush,   and made also the grind     harder and longer , for the new players.

+1

i think exactly the same Vicious ,  it's the current state of CRPG, where new players are pissed because it takes forever to get to 31 at gen 1 , and old players retire over and over again to get heirlooms ( which get boring after a while), the gap is increasing each day

i had a few friends at my work who tried crpg , they all quitted after getting to 30 seeing it took me 2 days ( if i play serious ) to retire , and them weeks to retire...

i barely play now waiting for a reset or a miraculous patch , 

imo they should just had done a reset and stayed pre patch crpg with some modifications to the retirement system  :(

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • Renown: 946
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2011, 08:58:56 pm »
To me there is a so easy and obvious sollution and answer to what the OP and others here write: Simply get rid of retarded retiring and heirlooming. So all the people who only play this game to retire and get more heirlooms (like OP, it seems) finally leave this great game.

Of course you could make it the other way around so that people like me who don't care shit for next gen, maxed heirlooms and so forth would (perhaps) leave the game. At least I would finally know what this is about. But chadz already stated several times that his intention with retirement was another and he somewhat regretted its implemention.

Maybe i overreact now and everything is allright and the current game and forther improvents allows both types of gamers play together, but post like OP and vicious drive me crazy :twisted:

Offline Felagunda

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2011, 09:05:19 pm »
as there is nothing which rewards skill, which is absolutly essential for a motivating game.

well the 1x-5x system rewards team skill and team work but as far as individual effort no there is nothing.

Offline Ragnarok

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2011, 09:07:47 pm »
the new xp style is boring, xp gains should be awarded for doing stuff, not dying in the 10 first second and getting xp throughout the whole round.

Offline Chasab

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2011, 09:10:18 pm »
i think there should be bonuses based on who you kill. a combination of generation+level=bonus

so for instance if i kill a level 30 goretooth ill get a bonus of like 50 gold. nothing insane, but just a little something extra on the side.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2011, 09:20:53 pm »
I agree.  I started a suggestion for gold/xp system with a poll here:
http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,3213.msg57286/topicseen.html#new

Offline RagnarLodbroke

• Knight
  • Renown: 41
  • Infamy: 42
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: RagnarLodbroke, Mr_Heineken,SeriousPanda
  • IRC nick: RagnarLodbroke
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2011, 09:28:23 pm »
Well the only thing i miss nowadays is beeing higher than lvl 30/31, Grinding to lvl 31 is getting boring, takes like forever, prepatch i was lvl 34 or 35, i really miss beeing higher than lvl 31-_-

Offline Noble Crassius

• Noble
  • Renown: 12
  • cRPG Player
  • Long live the Han
    • View Profile
    • http://rotk.ws/
  • Faction: Han Empire
  • Game nicks: Han_Ling, SiegeSome, Fallen_Knight
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2011, 09:35:21 pm »
 Whats made it so "boring" is all these soft caps we have. There is nothing to reach for it's just grind grind grind what I reached level 31? time to retire! because there is practically no hope or benefit for reaching levels 32-35.

Back in the day when we had level 15 retirement and no level caps we had much more variety in levels. There were leveled 40+ players who refused to retire often if at all, there were level 30s who were putting off retiring to be effective, only a few players back then grinded gens. Now it's the norm because that's all there is TO do.

Even if strategus was up people would still be grinding gens since WPF cap makes level 20s as effective as level 30s, and the time to reach level 20 is what 2-5 days max? Now days all we have is levels 20-30 who are on their way to retire again and again. 
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 09:37:41 pm by Noble Crassius »
On it.

Offline RagnarLodbroke

• Knight
  • Renown: 41
  • Infamy: 42
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: RagnarLodbroke, Mr_Heineken,SeriousPanda
  • IRC nick: RagnarLodbroke
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2011, 10:01:43 pm »
Whats made it so "boring" is all these soft caps we have. There is nothing to reach for it's just grind grind grind what I reached level 31? time to retire! because there is practically no hope or benefit for reaching levels 32-35.

Back in the day when we had level 15 retirement and no level caps we had much more variety in levels. There were leveled 40+ players who refused to retire often if at all, there were level 30s who were putting off retiring to be effective, only a few players back then grinded gens. Now it's the norm because that's all there is TO do.

Even if strategus was up people would still be grinding gens since WPF cap makes level 20s as effective as level 30s, and the time to reach level 20 is what 2-5 days max? Now days all we have is levels 20-30 who are on their way to retire again and again.

Couldnt explain it any better myself....

Offline Khalim

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2011, 10:10:15 pm »
I have to say that I am positivly surprised over the reactions :)

Actually I exspected that I get pissed by annoying people who state that I just want to have many heirlooms because I am greedy or something.

The game is not about getting heirlooms faster or slower. My main problem(and this problem is game devastating) is, that you CANNOT INFLUENCE your success.

Some peopel say that "teamskill" is rewared, but what is this? Honestly, who cares about teamskill? This is absolutly uninteresting for the individual player. Though this is a multiplayer game, the individuality stands in front.

Playing the mod has to bring you forward in any form, and it must be dependand to your personal skill. This is a deep truth which you cannot argue about. That is something like a natures law (of game design). The player must be able to influence his success.
And as long this is not possible, because it is luck based, the motivation will dimish.

And personally I was surprised how fast my motivation has gone. Though I started the mod, knowing of its incapability of its XP-System, from one to another day my motivation has gone.

I think the system will change. It must change if this mod should stay viable.

We really should consider solution for this. Saying we want the old system back is not the point(I dont even know it), but something else has to be found.

I really appreciate your answers and have made me hope that this high potential mod will be playable for me once again :)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 10:12:05 pm by Khalim »
" ME LONG WOOD PIECE WITH SHARP STONE AT PEAK.ME COME RIDE TO YOU ON BIG ANIMAL FAST."

Offline MouthnHoof

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: MouthnHoof
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2011, 10:17:10 pm »
There was never anything to "reach for". If you get a real sense of accomplishment from grinding an awesome uber toon you should shut down the computer immediately and get a life.

I speak for myself, but I am sure others will agree that the game has improverd significantly since recent patch. Heirloom are not needed - they are a nice little bonus, a cherry you get when you the cycle again from peasant - there is nothing to reach for except the way to get there, where ever "there" is. I much prefer the current situation where I can easily equip myself in the style that I want and in quality enough to compete. Occasionally even use the most expensive equipment, easily. Previously I could never afford the equipment to allow me to compete, not plate, not armored horse and not even the top weapons.

The super-steep xp curve beyond 30 was made to stop the people with no life from setting the standard in the game. Heirlooming can only benefit you so much and a couple of hard-grind extra levels above everyone else will not break balance. It allows you to improve your toon, but only marginally so - meaning it is entirely up to your skill, not your lack of social life. This is what "skill based" means, not your skill in grinding to be able to win without skill.

For those that log in and stand as a leveling method, you are idiots: What are you leveling for if not for the leveling? There is no "end game". The low levels are challenging and you miss half the fun. Second, you will level much quicker if you help your team to win instead of making them weaker. Oh, I forgot, the point is not playing, the game starts at the "end game". What an absurd notion, but this is how it USED TO BE in the old system.

Those who do not like it are welcomed to sod off. I enjoy it. All hail chadz.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2011, 10:27:06 pm »
II must be the only one who actually plays for the team play, though perhaps it helps that I am in a clan and have teamspeak so I can actually comminucate well.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.