Author Topic: Is crpg dying?  (Read 8744 times)

Offline Phyrex

• Count
  • Renown: 192
  • Infamy: 13
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: 22nd Battalion
  • Game nicks: 22nd_Overlord_Phyrex
Re: Is crpg dying?
« Reply #60 on: May 14, 2012, 10:46:30 am »
+1
I haven't played cRPG for several weeks, unless you count a few times when I joined some random server for the luls when I was drunk.

I'm occupied with the DayZ mod for arma, bought NW too and I'm now the best bagpipe player ever.

Also, I found the Native duelling scene to be thriving and interesting again. Took a week to get past the cRPG-handicap barrier, Native is way harder, more skilled based with reaction time and focus at a max to avoid certain quick death. I still prefer cRPG for battles since I don't like hiding behind a shield. Archers and Xbowers may be spineless assholes in cRPG, but not the Devil reincarnated like in Native.

The lack of updates and the slow, sloppy melee combat is a turn off for me personally.
Free Bjordhinn!

Offline Logen

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 385
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 14, 2012, 11:26:28 am »
+1
Native is way harder, more skilled based with reaction time and focus at a max to avoid certain quick death.
its faster but just as boring

Offline Phazey

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Phaz, Merc_Phazh, Merc_Phazhe, Merc_Phazhey and Merc_Phazey
  • IRC nick: Phazh
« Reply #62 on: May 14, 2012, 11:50:43 am »
+1
Same old crappy 'cRPG is dying' nonsense again. Don't you get bored of reviving the same old thread every two or three months?   :rolleyes:

Anyways, what's up with this ridiculous "must play cRPG exclusively and grind my ass off" attitude? I don't get it. Seems unhealthy to me. I suspect some people have very addiction-prone personalities.  :P

I play lots of games. Lots and lots. Last weekend, i've been making maps in Portal 2 (http://steamcommunity.com/id/phazey/myworkshopfiles/ <-- check out my maps if you have Portal 2). Loads of fun building those maps! Great editor, by the way. Quality Valve stuff. (i'm a big Valve fan  :lol:)

For variation, i did a few rounds of siege on my 2h and then i popped into EU1 for a few rounds of action with my main character and really enjoyed it, even though it was just a short session.

The weekend before that, i was playing a lot of League of Legends with a few friends. Also with rounds of cRPG in between. Before that, i was enjoying a Star Craft 2 (mostly custom modes like Squadron TD, Space Battle and the Tug of War type games). Before that, i had a lot of fun playing Magic the Gathering with- and against friends and family. Before that, i played Minecraft for a while with a few old friends. Before that, i was playing Supreme Commander (1 and 2) a lot with a friend (too bad the SupCom community is kinda dead). Before that, i played Terraria a while, etc, etc, etc.
And i haven't even mentioned all the non-multiplayer games i play(ed), like Orcs Must Die! (great game, really looking forward to the co-op in OMD2!), the Mass Effect series, the Fallout series, Elder Scrolls (Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim) and the hundreds of smaller indie games out there that are worth playing...

I can strongly recommend: Keep it varied to keep it fresh. Don't grind. Instead, enjoy and switch it up.

I also participated in the Guild Wars 2 beta weekend. Bit boring and disappointing, to be honest. The PvE completely bores me. The one 'saving grace' for GW2 is the RvR, but that needs lots and lots of work. It doesn't seem like much of a step forward if i compare it with the RvR Dark age of Camelot had. Or the PvP from Darkfall.
Also, to continue on the topic of GW2: i found the combat quite repetitive and very much like 'button bashing'. For example: most classes could be very effectively played by just spamming 1-2-3 rapidly with an occasional press on 4 and maybe 5. Not very skill based at all. Comparing that with cRPG is like comparing apples and oranges. Or apples and potatoes.  :wink:
I made a quick macro to toggle repeat 1, 2, 3 and stood on the walls defending castles in RvR as a fire mage and had some fun. Then i found out the same macro worked almost perfectly for most other classes.
It was just the same, boring, 'run with the biggest mob you can find but stay near the back' kind of game play you find in dozens of games. It kinda reminded me of Realm of the Mad God in that way.  :lol:
I also found the sieging to be tedious, unpolished and quite broken at times... although i have to admit running with the siege golem was pretty cool.

Anyways, enough about GW2. Back on topic:
For me, cRPG is an adrenaline game that competes with Battlefield 3, Counter Strike (Global Offensive), Tribes Ascend, Team Fortress 2, Left 4 Dead, The Ship, Day of Defeat, and many, many other adrenaline fuelled multi player action games games i'm forgetting to mention. As an added bonus, cRPG sometimes has a bit of strategy and tactics too. I Love that!

Anyways, my point is: i've been playing games like this since... well... since Civilization and Doom, i guess. Enjoy and cherish the games you like, but keep mixing it up and keep it varied, so it doesn't go stale. Even when i played World of Warcraft (back in the day it was just out and my guild was conquering Molten Core and we did silly Tarren Mill world PvP), i also kept playing several different multi player games. I occasionally try MMO's, but all MMO's seem grindy and dumb to me the. I miss Ultima Online.  :cry:
And i hate how all MMO's are carbon copies of WoW after WoW's success. Pretty silly, if you ask me. Tera was boring too. So was Aion. So was Champions Online. And Star Trek Online too. All grindy and repetitive. Uninspired.

Anyways:
cRPG will probably never die. At least, not until a game comes along with similar melee based combat mechanics, big battles (100+ players), great character customization and a stable and nice community like cRPG has. Mark my words: cRPG has many years to go yet.
It's a bit like Counter Strike in that way.  :wink:

What also keeps me coming back is my clan and our teamspeak server. It's very much like a favorite pub or something. 

:D

P.S.: I've been keeping an eye on War of the Roses, but that seems much smaller scale and even though the graphics look nice, it seems to have very 'klunky' and arcade-like gameplay. Besides that and Warband 2, what games could compete with cRPG, do you think?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 12:11:37 pm by Phazey »

Offline Herr_Thomas

• Baron
  • Renown: 110
  • Infamy: 29
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Wolfgang
« Reply #63 on: May 14, 2012, 12:06:12 pm »
At fifteen, I had the will to  learn ; at thirty, I could stand ; at forty, I had no  doubts ; at fifty, I understood the heavenly Bidding ;  at sixty, my ears were opened ; at seventy, I could  do as my heart lusted without trespassing from the  square..
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Oh, and style matters way more than anything else regarding armor.

Offline LordBerenger

• King
  • Renown: 1492
  • Infamy: 859
  • cRPG Player
  • Jesus is the savior of Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 14, 2012, 02:12:59 pm »
Only thing this mod got going is addiction, PERIOD.

But hell, even i managed to stay away from it and take breaks from time to time with my recent break which was a couple of months (6-7 iirc). You just gotta find a good/a couple of good games to have as a substitute.

But once again...only thing this mod got going is addiction, especially for the multi/grind junkies. I miss when ladderpulting existed and every bought piece of equipment felt special and one step closer to ''dream build/gear setup''. Back when you had fun and were supposed to have fun.

Old CRPG with a couple of tweaks would've been great.

The truth quoted again

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 14, 2012, 02:58:20 pm »
+2
Btw Phazh your map is good looking but painful to play.

Offline Phazey

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Phaz, Merc_Phazh, Merc_Phazhe, Merc_Phazhey and Merc_Phazey
  • IRC nick: Phazh
« Reply #66 on: May 14, 2012, 06:44:45 pm »
+1
Btw Phazh your map is good looking but painful to play.
It is. I've heard that from several people now and not many can actually solve it. A friend of mine did, it took him a little more than an hour.
The point of that map (i'm assuming you're talking about 'Gruesome Delight') is to be really difficult to complete and unforgiving. Kind of an evil map, if you like. However, there are three (tested and verified) separate ways of completing it. That doesn't make it much easier though. Perhaps even harder.

The thing i hated about vanilla Portal 2 (and many of the custom maps) is that ALL the puzzle elements have to be used. So by looking at what you have and see, you can always figure out the solution. My map is more trial-and-error based and doesn't require every jumper, every button and every cube to be used in one specific way. It's also evil, because you die a lot if you're not extremely careful and will require several retries to complete.

I made an easier, more gimmicky map called 'Fall'. Start with that one, it's easy.  :wink:

Offline Sergee

• Baron
  • Renown: 127
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: PRO_TheSerge
« Reply #67 on: May 14, 2012, 07:32:56 pm »
PROUD MEMBER OF THE 1%

THE 99% WILL LOOK UP AND SAY "FEED ME"
AND I WILL SHIT DOWN THEIR THROATS.

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
  • Renown: 648
  • Infamy: 212
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
« Reply #68 on: May 14, 2012, 07:33:56 pm »
I think the crpg population and activity is decent, all servers are filling up daily, but it just seems to me like moral is low around here with chadz moving on to his new projects and apparently nobody is really working on strategus either.

Maybe the devs could post a "State of c-RPG" write-up to let the community know what's going on and how things are going?

Offline Herkkutatti

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 292
  • Infamy: 149
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 14, 2012, 07:34:42 pm »
(click to show/hide)

Stop spamming this fantasy shit game
/l
(゚、 。 7
l、 ~ヽ
じしf_, )ノ Nerf archery ,please!

Offline Sergee

• Baron
  • Renown: 127
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: PRO_TheSerge
« Reply #70 on: May 14, 2012, 07:48:11 pm »
PROUD MEMBER OF THE 1%

THE 99% WILL LOOK UP AND SAY "FEED ME"
AND I WILL SHIT DOWN THEIR THROATS.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 14, 2012, 09:45:30 pm »
+2
There is still a lot of player interest in the mod. Sadly dev interest is quite low. I don't think much of them play their own mod much anymore, there have been no additions to the core gameplay for a while. The balance is good though, there is an enjoyable battle, siege, rageball and dtv mode.

Sadly there is not much of interesting competitive play anymore. Strat has become very uninteresting. There are very few big clans playing on EU_1. Byzantium still plays it, but it used to be full of big clan groups putting up fierce opposition and playing together. Maybe they went to different servers but it seems to me that the clan mentality is dissappearing. With it the clan battles and tournaments dissappear. Byzantium has quite a lot of trouble actually finding clans willing to do a friendly clan battle.

I would like to see the clan ladder system once mentioned being implemented. Hopefully that will bring back the clan mentality and teamplay, which has so much potential inside this mod/game.

I would also like to see a change in the xp/gold system. Thinking back to the old one, it brought a different kind of gameplay, in some ways worse but in others much better than what we have now. When I can be arsed I will post a big post about my ideas about the system. I think the multiplier system, combined with the more serious approach of the devs (removing the silly names and such), created a very bad atmosphere compared to the old days.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #72 on: May 14, 2012, 09:46:42 pm »
...the more serious approach of the devs (removing the silly names and such)...

Have you visited NA? With clan names like Semenstorm, or player names like Warm_Jock_Cum, I don't exactly see what you are talking about. The rest of your post though I can agree with.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 09:48:00 pm by Tears of Destiny »
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 14, 2012, 09:52:09 pm »
Have you visited NA? With clan names like Semenstorm, or player names like Warm_Jock_Cum, I don't exactly see what you are talking about. The rest of your post though I can agree with.
I'm talking about the Looney Toons Axe, Sword of Cookies, Boulder on a Stick and all that awesome shit. Now they seem to favor some halfassed realistic approach.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #74 on: May 14, 2012, 09:54:26 pm »
I'm talking about the Looney Toons Axe, Sword of Cookies, Boulder on a Stick and all that awesome shit. Now they seem to favor some halfassed realistic approach.
Ah, item type renaming, I understand now. Truth be told I always preferred the old names too, back when Desert gear was called Sarranid and not Arabian, etc.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.