Author Topic: Kicked for breaking opponent ladders??  (Read 6600 times)

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
Re: Kicked for breaking opponent ladders??
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2011, 09:37:15 pm »
I thought an Admin had to act on server rules and not on his own opinion?

I thought the rules were widely regarded as if you are in a place that is not accessable, get down or be kicked, I haven't heard of any rules about breaking enemy ladders to force them down is a kickable and bannable offense, whoever runs the server should make these rules clear, rules matter, opinions don't.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2011, 09:47:16 pm »
The current "rules" in most servers are worthlessly vague, and the majority of "rules" are unspoken ones.

All maps should have specific roofs that are accessible with permanent ladders and put barriers for the rest. It would be a pain in the ass do to for all the maps but do it once and you're done. Then don't add new maps unless they meet this criteria. This is the only way that allows roofs to still be used as a tactical position, allows infantry to still gain access and admins won't need to babysit or settle arguments of who destroyed the ladder. Otherwise, we can argue every round, while we wait 5 years for chadz to maybe implement some change.

That would be ideal actually, and hopefully we can get some mappers to wake up about this.

Until then, we should create maps with defensible positions and then complain loudly if the enemy team is using them.  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 09:48:37 pm by Tears_of_Destiny »
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Murchad

• Noble
  • Renown: 24
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2011, 09:49:11 pm »
Darkwulf should lose admin.
Being forced to go single file up a ladder to chase a lame camper waiting at the top with a longmaul
riiiight....

you have to go up a narrow ladder while archers all over the roof attack from both sides
riiiiight....

I don't have a problem with rooftop camping. but once the ladder is destroyed get down.
people on top can shoot at the people who are trying to get at ladder what is wrong with destroying ladder.

Offline Darkwulf

• Noble
  • Renown: 12
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player
  • Crusader
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2011, 09:58:58 pm »
Darkwulf should lose admin.
Being forced to go single file up a ladder to chase a lame camper waiting at the top with a longmaul
riiiight....

you have to go up a narrow ladder while archers all over the roof attack from both sides
riiiiight....

I don't have a problem with rooftop camping. but once the ladder is destroyed get down.
people on top can shoot at the people who are trying to get at ladder what is wrong with destroying ladder.

I have had this conversation with the server admin (higher than me) and what I was told to do is as long as the archers are not delaying the round and have people fighting on the ground, they can stay up on the roof even if they are not accessable.  As long as they are not delaying.

But being on the ground when I cannot get up to archer is not very fun.  If there is a ladder there I can get up the ladder without being shot fairly easy.  A shielder really helps out.

So if anything I took it a step towards nuetrality.

Another  argument could be to go wherever you want and if you cant get there, then I guess you should have brought a ladder. 

Offline Bear

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: 22nd
  • Game nicks: 22nd_Baron_Bear
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2011, 10:01:32 pm »
I killed ladders of roof campers alot of times.
The rules say if the ladder is destroyed, ppl must come down.
so it´s quiete obvious that the admin here have made a wrong decision with kicking that guy.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2011, 10:03:38 pm »
I killed ladders of roof campers alot of times.
The rules say if the ladder is destroyed, ppl must come down.
so it´s quiete obvious that the admin here have made a wrong decision with kicking that guy.

And his higher ups agree, so apparently the bulk of admins disagree with the player base of ladder-destroyers as I have seen this look from many other Admins as well.

In my opinion, it is obvious that the rules need to be concrete and updated.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Murchad

• Noble
  • Renown: 24
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2011, 11:25:30 pm »
I have had this conversation with the server admin (higher than me) and what I was told to do is as long as the archers are not delaying the round and have people fighting on the ground, they can stay up on the roof even if they are not accessable.  As long as they are not delaying.

But being on the ground when I cannot get up to archer is not very fun.  If there is a ladder there I can get up the ladder without being shot fairly easy.  A shielder really helps out.

So if anything I took it a step towards nuetrality.

Another  argument could be to go wherever you want and if you cant get there, then I guess you should have brought a ladder. 

I agree with not doing anything to roof campers while there is still lots of action going on ground but totally disagree with punishing someone for destroying a ladder of enemy team.

Offline 1slander

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • cRPG Player
  • Timing that sidestep is key to the 1h battle axe
    • View Profile
  • Faction: NORD
  • Game nicks: Araios, Pallas, Hammer. Formerly DRAC & Duke_of_Hazard
« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2011, 11:30:53 pm »
the rules change so much and so fast who cares anyways at this point.  I think it all depends on feelings really.  A person either gets kicked/banned or not depending on feelings that day/week/month right? 

Without definate rules I don't see how banning people is an option.  That's insane.
Float like a butterfly sting like an axe

Offline Sammael

• Knight
  • Renown: 32
  • Infamy: 3
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SammaeI
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2011, 04:31:31 am »
Another point I could make is where the heck was my warning for doing so. I got an immediate kick, while I was still actively fighting to win the round.

Does an action that is obviously so controversial really constitute a kick on a first offense?

Offline 1slander

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2011, 04:34:01 am »
If you're asking me the answer is no.  But all reasoning aside - then yes.

Whether you got kicked would depend if you're in a clan and if so which one.  Are you?  If not, then there is your answer.  I'm finding more and more that admins take out their issues on clanless peeps.  They can say different but its a cowards release right.  They can make a martyr out of someone, show some power and there won't be a group of people who will defend the injustice - aka - clan mates ingame or afterwards.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 04:36:12 am by 1slander »

Offline panderson

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The White Company
  • Game nicks: Pandersonsonsonsonson_WCo
  • IRC nick: Panderson
« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2011, 05:43:35 am »
Was on the 100 man NA this afternoon and had people using construction materials to block all the pathways.  Even after all the fuss late last week the admins present just turned a blind eye as it was aiding their team anyhow.  Hate being a hatemonger but cmon!  Rules are rules and the admins seem hell bent on bending them as they see fit.  Not all of them - not trolling here.  But some.

Construction sites are not prohibited on the 100 man.  However, they are bannable offenses on the siege and 80 man.

Since the servers are managed by different ppl (Devilize vs. ATS), some rules are different.  I believe I explained this when it came up on the 100 man when I was on.

Offline Heroin

• Baron
  • Renown: 135
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
  • cRPG NA Server Admin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: MB
  • Game nicks: BlackHand_Heroin, Heroin_ATS, Heroin__JaBoNRA, Heroine_Heroin_MB, F8
« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2011, 04:26:30 pm »
But since ladders are here for now, and rooftops are accessible when using them, this is how I deal with the ladders. 

If the roof top people break their ladder after going up, then I am going to kick them if they don’t get down.  If the other team breaks the ladder to force them down, I am going to kick them.

I urge you to alter your position on this. Here is why:

Maps are balanced "as is" without ladders on the map. Using ladders to reach otherwise unreachable locations alters the map balance(likely into the favor of the roof campers). Since the rules allow for this to happen, we then have the issue of the left over ladder.

From the campers perspective, with no rules in place, the most tactically sound decision is to destroy the ladder so no one can interrupt their pew pew. Even with rules, roof campers are STILL allowed to do this, and remain on the roof so long as they have living teammates who are NOT in unreachable locations. And with the current rules in place, it is sometimes the tactically sound decision of the "enemy" to destroy a camper's ladder. Furthermore, destroying the ladder of campers who are in an inaccessable, but highly defensible location is something that totally could have happened realistically. And if that camping location is so high that the fall spells death? Even moreso. Think about it. As an army commander, guys are in a spot far up, with the only access being a ladder. They have no food, and no other way down. Sending men up the ladder would be leading them to their death. So what do you do? Remove the ladder and leave them to starve/jump to their death.

The rule that they need to come down was designed to prevent the following scenario: Campers camp, ladder is destroyed(doesn't matter who did it), enemies on the ground(who can't shoot back) hide from campers. Stalemate occurs, everyone argues over who's fault the delay of game is.

The rules are fine and functional without you adding to them, or putting your own spin on how to enforce them, Darkwulf. The campers already get to camp until they are the last ones left, essentially giving them a free pass for survival unless the rest of their team dies. This is balanced by requiring them to come down after ALL the rest of their team is already dead. If they choose a rooftop that they can jump from without dying/taking damage, that is the smart thing to do. If not, then they failed to plan strategically for what COULD happen.

Destroying ladders is part of the game. Sometimes it's a good tactic, sometimes it might be better to leave the ladder. Either way, Darkwulf, I think we should leave the tactical decisions to the players. And as admins, the word "cowardly" should never be used in a justification statement of our actions.

Cowardly tactics are allowed. Battle is about winning, not how you did it. History is written by the victor. I could continue saying this a hundred different ways, but you get the point.

Construction sites are not prohibited on the 100 man.  However, they are bannable offenses on the siege and 80 man.

Since the servers are managed by different ppl (Devilize vs. ATS), some rules are different.  I believe I explained this when it came up on the 100 man when I was on.

Yes they are, Panderson. For the record, CONSTRUCTION SITES ARE PROHIBITED ON ALL SERVERS, BOTH EU AND NA.

It was a recent addition in Devilize's rules thread. Apparently, no one told Devilize that construction sites were indestructible until I said something to him a week or so ago.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 05:37:58 pm by Heroin »
Quote from: Godfrey of Ibelin
I once fought for two days with an arrow through my testicle.

Offline Babelfish

• Knight
  • Renown: 62
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2011, 04:44:09 pm »
^+1

Offline 1slander

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2011, 04:49:47 pm »

Well explaining it is as good as those present.  I guess mixed rules are present which explains the confusion completely.  It was definately devilizes server as the hospitalizers were using the material to their advantage.  LOL

Whichever.  That makes more sense.  But posting it here is half the battle.

GI JOE!

OOPS I posted that before reading that you were wrong.  Which no offence, but maybe if you're going to mod with an iron fist you could get the facts straight instead of running on feelings.  You just made a 4 page argument over something you should of known being in your position.  :rolleyes:  I'm not the enemy here - I'm the victim
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 04:56:23 pm by 1slander »

Offline nuffen

• Baron
  • Renown: 113
  • Infamy: 114
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Nuffen Fallen_Lilith Fallen_Little_Nuff
  • IRC nick: nuffen
« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2011, 10:39:25 pm »
Hi
A reply from an EU admin.
We have been discussing this situation, and weve agreed that the side whos making the people on the roof unreachable is those to blame. That means if you destroy the ladders of the opposite side so they get unreachable, you might get banned. Thats how were gonna enforce it on EU-side. If they break the rules because of you, YOU are the one whos breaking em.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login