Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls Online  (Read 45475 times)

Offline Miwiw

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 525
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Miwiw
Re: The Elder Scrolls Online
« Reply #390 on: April 02, 2014, 09:37:42 pm »
No, for me MMOs really pay off. Other and most single player games last 20-30 hours, sometimes over 50 hours, rarely over 100.
Examples: Risen 1 - bought for 45€ played for 50 hours. That's 1€ per hour. Bought Stronghold 3 for 40€ - played for 1 hour.
Once you join a guild you play regularly, thats maybe 3-5 hours a day, longer at the weekend. For 13€ a month, that's really worth it.

Of course there are games that you pay once and you play for years, famous example for us Mount&Blade:Warband but that is one of the few I really spent that much time on over years. I played warband for 5-6k hours now (includes native, crpg, nw, mm and vikingr) since early 2010. That's 25€ for the game on release, 15€ for NW, about 150€ for clan donations, another 50€ for other donations. In the end it was worth every cent for sure.
Let's do the maths with WoW.^^
Bought the game in late 2005, thats 45€, Addon BC,WotLK,Cata + Pandaria, each 35€, thats 185€ + monthly fee, 120€ a year, thats another 1080€ (minus some free months, thats 1050€). So in total I paid about 1235€ for nearly 9 years. Imo thats not a lot and was totally worth it.

I played some f2p korean MMOs at the same time that used up to 30€ a month for certain upgrades, ie. premium pack, more xp and stuff. Was worth it as well though those games aren't worth to play anymore as they're bot infested. :D

It's a hobby, and you have to decide yourself if you want to pay for it or not. If you play one game, it is certainly worth it. Especially if you got the money to pay for it.
I also invested about 200€ in dota2, for tournament tickets and equipment. And there I got about 1200 hours playing time only.
My WoW chars got more than that each. ;)

Smoking is another case though. You don't primarily smoke (unless its a cigar) but you do it while you do something else. So of course it is expensive.
Miwiw_HRE - Two Handed
Trade with me

Offline IR_Kuoin

• King
  • Renown: 1761
  • Infamy: 331
  • cRPG Player
  • What too write here?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigåde
  • Game nicks: KuoiN, Ziath
  • IRC nick: Simply Kuoin
« Reply #391 on: April 02, 2014, 10:02:19 pm »
Smoking was just an example, I've also spent a good amount of cash on F2P games so I can't point any fingers :D

But everyone has their own taste when it comes to what to spend their money on.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Fredom

• Baron
  • Renown: 141
  • Infamy: 47
  • cRPG Player
  • Coming from a life of crime.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Fredom ; FredomNumbaNine
  • IRC nick: Steam name: Fredom[NumbaNine]
« Reply #392 on: April 02, 2014, 10:04:07 pm »
Well the point i meant is that's an Elder Scrolls game which should keep you playing for 200-1500 hours. And then of course it would be worth 15 euros a month but I heard many bad things about ESO from rl friends so that I am not sure. I'd be interested in it but in my opinion an Elder Scrolls game cannot work in MP, just my personal opinion.
Fredom, are you British? -> You got an American accent!- Merc_Sjarken

Offline Miwiw

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: April 02, 2014, 10:08:59 pm »
It works until now though, speaking of PvE for now. Cant say much of PvP yet, but Ill find out soon.

MMO is set for an unlimited time though, 200-1500 hours is probably the estimated time to get a character to lvl 50 in a relaxed time and do some crafting, PvP and RP during that time. New stuff will be added often enough, add ons will be probably released as well, Tamriel isn't fully used yet, there are many arrows not used yet. :)
Miwiw_HRE - Two Handed
Trade with me

Offline dreadnok

• Marshall
  • Renown: 838
  • Infamy: 562
  • cRPG Player
  • fuck these jerkoff kids
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KBW<MB<SoW
  • Game nicks: Gorp_The_Gorger
« Reply #394 on: April 02, 2014, 10:20:46 pm »
+1
Come on for fucksake about the monthly fee arguement. You want MMOs to succeed that you enjoy. The monthly fee keeps the servers up and new content. Buy a new game for 60 dollars and beat it in a week or a great mmo that has good content and keeps you hooked. I'll take the mmo

Offline Latvian

• King
  • Renown: 1494
  • Infamy: 379
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • с̴͎͖͈͟͠ͅу̷̸̻̣͇͚̫͎͇̩̟̖̪͇̯к̀́͠͞҉͎͚͎а̰̤͕̱͔̬͖̟̺͍͎́͞ ̸͝
    • View Profile
  • Faction: one and only DESERTERS
  • Game nicks: u know its me when you see me
« Reply #395 on: April 02, 2014, 10:38:12 pm »
+1
Monthly payment is not a reason not to play a game. 13€ a month is nothing. That's about 1 hour of work..
maybe in your rich country, here it is our yearly budget.
people are like potatoes, they come in different shapes and sizes and they all are beautifull
masturbating while looking in a mirror isnt wrong unless its the rear view mirror and you are driving a school buss.

it doesnt matter if you are happiest person or an unfortunate weeper, a powerfull beast or a terrifying creature. we are all equal, in the eyes of the reaper.

Offline dreadnok

• Marshall
  • Renown: 838
  • Infamy: 562
  • cRPG Player
  • fuck these jerkoff kids
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KBW<MB<SoW
  • Game nicks: Gorp_The_Gorger
« Reply #396 on: April 02, 2014, 10:41:51 pm »
+1
maybe in your rich country, here it is our yearly budget.

But wouldn't it be cheaper to pay 13 a month then 60 for a new game every time?

Offline Miwiw

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: April 02, 2014, 10:42:52 pm »
+1
Well, they do of course address those who got the money. Western players are their audience. After all Chinese players pay less than 11€ a month for WoW as well and Americans don't pay 11€ either, its $ instead.  :P

And those 13€ an hour payment isn't a rule in Germany either. Lowest payment is officially 8,50€ per hour (which is without taxes) and many workers don't get that much. I am a student though and work in my university, its a 400€ a month job, so nearly 15€ an hour (400€ is the border so I don't need to pay taxes). ;)
Miwiw_HRE - Two Handed
Trade with me

Offline Voso

• Earl
  • Renown: 330
  • Infamy: 35
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The So-so.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Huey's Cavalieres
« Reply #398 on: April 02, 2014, 10:45:57 pm »
+2
Well the point i meant is that's an Elder Scrolls game which should keep you playing for 200-1500 hours. And then of course it would be worth 15 euros a month but I heard many bad things about ESO from rl friends so that I am not sure. I'd be interested in it but in my opinion an Elder Scrolls game cannot work in MP, just my personal opinion.

Its not an Elder Scrolls game. Not really.

Its an MMO with a bit of an Elder Scrolls feel. I feel it works as a MMO, but I definitely wouldn't call it an Elder Scrolls game because it creates certain expectations that you will not see fulfilled.

Don't think of it as a MP Elder Scrolls, in the end its still just a MMO.

If you don't like MMOs or traditional MMOs, its not for you.

Also, I find I spend far less money on games  overall when I am playing a MMO than when I am not. Which is why I have desperately been trying to find a new one. My steam library is full of games I bought because I was bored and hardly played. When I have a MMO it tends to be the only game I play and that means 15$ a month is all I really spend, instead of the 100-200$ a month or whatever (especially when there are steam sales ugh) when I buy a bunch of games that don't last long.

There are old sellswords and bold sellswords, but there are no old, bold sellswords.

Offline Miwiw

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: April 02, 2014, 10:49:29 pm »
Sadly I keep falling for steam sales even though I got a MMO... tho not lately, didn't buy stuff on steam since January. Success!  :mrgreen:
Miwiw_HRE - Two Handed
Trade with me

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: April 02, 2014, 10:53:44 pm »
+2
Play rus server, usual fare like 7€/month :wink:

Come on for fucksake about the monthly fee arguement. You want MMOs to succeed that you enjoy. The monthly fee keeps the servers up and new content. Buy a new game for 60 dollars and beat it in a week or a great mmo that has good content and keeps you hooked. I'll take the mmo

In the regard of costs of other games vs MMOs, I disagree.
First off, they don't need monthly fee to keep the servers up. Sub fee is an ancient concept of nowadays greedy developers, back from the times where MMOs weren't as popular and each MMO didn't have hundreds of thousands of people trying the game out.
Second, MMOs have hardly better content than other games.
Third, yeah MMOs hook you for hours, but so can other games WITHOUT the sub cost. You're forgetting a lot of them have multiplayer that can keep you occupied for thousands of hours, while also retaining a MUCH superior combat/game systems. Heck, some even have the same gear/level grind for singleplayer that MMOs use to hook players and give them this silly sense of achievement so they keep playing.

Mind you, this is coming from a serious MMO player.

Offline Miwiw

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: April 02, 2014, 11:04:00 pm »
+1
True, they could let people play for free and use a big cash store as it is done in GW2. People would play and more players would try it and maybe get stuck with it.
With a monthly fee they can be sure of a certain income (if enough players play ;) ).
However I want to play that game, so I pay. If it was a bit more expensive (like 20 instead of 13€) I would certainly not play it. 13€ is just acceptable, and they know it. =D

(GW2 was a big fail tho, enjoyed beta far more than after release, GW1 was one of the best MMOs tho, especially due to PvP)
Miwiw_HRE - Two Handed
Trade with me

Offline Voso

• Earl
  • Renown: 330
  • Infamy: 35
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The So-so.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Huey's Cavalieres
« Reply #402 on: April 02, 2014, 11:33:57 pm »
+1
Play rus server, usual fare like 7€/month :wink:

In the regard of costs of other games vs MMOs, I disagree.
First off, they don't need monthly fee to keep the servers up. Sub fee is an ancient concept of nowadays greedy developers, back from the times where MMOs weren't as popular and each MMO didn't have hundreds of thousands of people trying the game out.
Second, MMOs have hardly better content than other games.
Third, yeah MMOs hook you for hours, but so can other games WITHOUT the sub cost. You're forgetting a lot of them have multiplayer that can keep you occupied for thousands of hours, while also retaining a MUCH superior combat/game systems. Heck, some even have the same gear/level grind for singleplayer that MMOs use to hook players and give them this silly sense of achievement so they keep playing.

Mind you, this is coming from a serious MMO player.

Yes, this is all very true.

But it still makes me spend less money haha. I have a hard time finding singleplayer games that keep me interested, mainly because of the singleplayer factor. There are some exceptions like Fallout and TES and stuff like that but for the most part MMOs really just keep me occupied because of my friends. Once they quit playing I do too.

I guess I am more of a "social gamer".

As far as sub fees go, yeah they don't really need it to keep the servers running. I do find however that games with monthly fees are better about releasing more content filled patches. I love to play games for a free monthly fee don't get me wrong, I am currently an unemployed student so its always nice to save money instead of bleeding my savings account. Its kind of why I go for MMOs, as I said they end up being a better value as far as the cost and time spent playing. For instance if I managed to play a 15$ a month game for a whole year, that is only 180$. That is the cost of only 3 brand new games and its less than half of a single paycheck. If I were to buy the 3 brand new games I would have to play each of them exclusively for 4 months to get the same value and to be honest that just isn't going to happen unless I get lucky and find another Warband. But yeah, every MMO with a subscription that I have played has lasted me longer than one without. (Minus games that have free and premium players). I'll have to see if ESO lives up to that I am really just talking about MMOs in general here.

Its just not that much money for what you are getting, I think.

There are old sellswords and bold sellswords, but there are no old, bold sellswords.

Offline Sniger

• Marshall
  • Renown: 795
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: April 03, 2014, 01:15:25 am »
+3
end of test session weekend, people going lololol 10mins before shutdown. nudity, magic spam, summons and fucked up lol-emotes

im the naked guy getting hammered   :D

Offline Miwiw

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: April 03, 2014, 12:06:23 pm »
Are servers running tonight?