Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls Online  (Read 46107 times)

Offline SixThumbs

• Duke
  • Renown: 567
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player
  • Consumer Whore
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls Online
« Reply #375 on: April 02, 2014, 03:46:25 am »
+1
I'm fairly certain the Star Wars franchise has a bigger fan-base, and people willing to buy and play an MMO based on it, than the Elder Scrolls.

So my guess is it's extremely likely to end up F2P.

Once subscriptions dwindle they'll let the floodgates open and drip feed anyone who's tempted to pay $1-$10 a pop for a bit of "premium".
And how!

Offline Voso

• Earl
  • Renown: 330
  • Infamy: 35
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The So-so.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Huey's Cavalieres
« Reply #376 on: April 02, 2014, 05:32:48 am »
+2
If you give a shit about my opinion or are curious why anyone would like this "piece of shit" here it is, this is all I will say about it because I don't care enough if you guys like the game or not.

(click to show/hide)

That being said, if you felt you didn't like it in the beta or some shit, don't buy it.

Maybe I only like it because of all my friends playing it, we've made some pretty shitty games enjoyable in the past, but I do think the game is good. I guess if you have no friends playing take into account that MMOs suck alone.

Wait for it to go F2P, it is possible it might in a year or two and if you are cool with waiting by all means definitely do that. No game is best when it first comes out anyways they got bugs and less content and shit, just wait if you are unsure.

Wait for a free trial, idk if MMOs do that anymore but hey if they do give it a try to see for yourself.

But don't be discouraged by all the people saying its shit because I guess it just isn't for everyone.

And personally I feel like I will get my money's worth out of it. I have already played it for longer than I played Bioshock Infinite or a lot of other 60$ games and I am still loving it so who the fuck cares if I am playing it in a year. Not every game can be like Warband where I pay 30$ and play it for 5 years subscription free.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

There are old sellswords and bold sellswords, but there are no old, bold sellswords.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: April 02, 2014, 08:06:36 am »
+1
Lol vibe please pull that stick out your ass

What stick, the stick of lying to myself? I'd rather stick with the facts one I have in my hand. :)

@Voso: I can definitely see why you like it, but the game is too generic to last long with a subscription. Every MMO you play at start can feel fresh, even the generic ones. That's due to new story, the world, the setting. But once that dries out (the usual timeframe is about 3-6 months), and people see that the game brings nothing new to the table, they ARE going to start leaving. We'll see how it holds up regarding subscription then. IMO, it's going to go F2P.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 08:16:05 am by Vibe »

Offline IR_Kuoin

• King
  • Renown: 1761
  • Infamy: 331
  • cRPG Player
  • What too write here?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigåde
  • Game nicks: KuoiN, Ziath
  • IRC nick: Simply Kuoin
« Reply #378 on: April 02, 2014, 10:06:37 am »
For me an MMO is just something I play to i get to end game, play some PvP, get bored, make a new char. and once I've got maxed out chars. on every class it goes back to "meeeh"

Offline Miwiw

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 525
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Miwiw
« Reply #379 on: April 02, 2014, 10:14:00 am »
You can't kill what's already dead

A game that has millions of active players, get updates every time, has an add-on being released in summer and still has near 5,000 viewers on twitch during early European morning when nothing great happens, cannot be dead.
Their success is something everyone really wants.
Anyway, there probably will not be a real WoW killer in the close future. I love WoW, the game itself is a thousand time better than any other to be honest.
But it has a problem, with time it will most likely kill itself though it still seems to be alive with that amount of players. However over time it's concept gets boring and stale. But that's to be expected for a game that nearly runs for 10 years.
Only a few games live longer, like Runescape or Ultima Online. ;)

Don't get why you're checking this thread, if you don't like the concept of MMOs at all, Kuion. Unless you are really hating on Bethesda for making the new TES a MMO instead of a single player game.
I'd rather have liked them to make another single player game as well, maybe redoing TES 2: Daggerfall for they know how to do games like that.

However I love MMOs so I play TESO. If it ever goes f2p, Im back to WoW again.
Miwiw_HRE - Two Handed
Trade with me

Offline Voso

• Earl
  • The So-so.
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: April 02, 2014, 11:00:53 am »
Don't get why you're checking this thread, if you don't like the concept of MMOs at all, Kuion. Unless you are really hating on Bethesda for making the new TES a MMO instead of a single player game.
I'd rather have liked them to make another single player game as well, maybe redoing TES 2: Daggerfall for they know how to do games like that.

I would like to mention, I don't understand why everyone believes they made a MMO instead of another singleplayer game. I think maybe it is because people think it is a sequel to Skyrim, even though it in fact takes place 1000 years before Skyrim.

Anyway, they got a new team of developers for ESO, it is made by Zenimax Online Studios. The next singleplayer game is still in development and is being made by Bethesda Game Studios, the people who made all the other ones.

However they always alternate between Elder Scrolls and Fallout so the next singleplayer will be Fallout (made by a different team than TES but its going to be the next one released) and then after that the next singleplayer ES will be released. There is usually a couple year gap between each game. Morrowind was released in 2002, Oblivion was released in 2006, and Skyrim in 2011. Its gonna be a couple years still but thats the way of things.

So yeah, don't fret, you can have BOTH!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 11:06:36 am by Voso »

There are old sellswords and bold sellswords, but there are no old, bold sellswords.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: April 02, 2014, 11:06:09 am »
Jesus christ I know I'm flaming this game a lot, but I was just watching some streams of it and I think melee animations/feedback deserve a whole new post of flame (if not an entire thread) for how shitty they are.

I mean.. what is that shit :D Dual wield looks like the character is making some silly dance moves or just, I don't know, flailing mindlessly with the purpose of mixing air. There's no feedback when you hit an enemy. I mean I know the combat system is a sugarcoated tab target, but at least try to make good animations.

Offline Miwiw

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: April 02, 2014, 11:17:00 am »
Didn't try dual wield yet, but actually I really dislike dual anyway. Never really used it in any Elder Scrolls anyway. 1h/shield, 2h, bow or magic, thats the way to go because they really made a nice combat for that.
You know, I enjoy using 1h/shield to fight in Elder Scrolls games. The only thing I find sad is that every four classes in TESO got Magic. I didn't check every skill now but on the first glance 2/3 of the starting skills got magic. Templar has that throwing skill, thrust skill and healing skill. Dragon Knight has some "throwing back dmg" skill where he gets spike on his back and another skill that's a hook on fire. Even the Nightblade (Assassin) has some necromancer skill, by what he takes live and deals magic damage.
Of course you're not forced to use those skills, I also will never take that Dragon Knight skill.

I think I get what you mean Voso, best example SWTOR.
It's actually a single player game with player chat, guilds, dungeons, PvP and an auction house. The quests are fine for a MMO, they however tell interesting stories and I always enjoyed playing SWTOR. Alone. Once played with 3 others in my group, it feels alright but other "real" MMOs do it better however.
I think TESO is also good at "being" a single player game as well as a MMO. It's quest so far did never let me down, I enjoyed combat and stuff and the graphics are fine as well. Until now (except for the scheduled server shut down yesterday) everything went smooth, no lags, and not many bugs (maybe 2-3 I encountered, ie. quest guy speaking German instead of English, or couldn't finish a quest because a boss didn't spawn).

;)
Miwiw_HRE - Two Handed
Trade with me

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #383 on: April 02, 2014, 01:41:53 pm »
A game that has millions of active players, get updates every time, has an add-on being released in summer and still has near 5,000 viewers on twitch during early European morning when nothing great happens, cannot be dead.

Oh yep, but you know what I meant with "dead" anyway.  :P

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Rogue

• Earl
  • Renown: 332
  • Infamy: 31
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Margrave of Brandenburg
    • View Profile
    • HRE Forum
  • Faction: Holy Roman Empire
  • Game nicks: Rogue_HRE Harald_HRE Lodwig_HRE Egidius_HRE
  • IRC nick: Rogue_HRE
« Reply #384 on: April 02, 2014, 03:12:26 pm »

ESO was done by a completely different team. Last thing I read about a new TES or Fallout game was:
“We don’t [have a timeframe for our next game announcement],” he told Rock Paper Shotgun. “But I think it’s gonna be a while.”

If anything a succesful ESO makes a new TES game more likely. With more focus on the PC this time:
Howard, however, noted that the PC market will be a focal point.

“PC is resurgent,” he said. “Skyrim did better than we’ve ever done on PC by a large, large number. And that’s where the mods are. That feeds the game for a long time.

Sacrum Romanum Imperium

Offline Voso

• Earl
  • The So-so.
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: April 02, 2014, 04:58:59 pm »
I think I get what you mean Voso, best example SWTOR.
It's actually a single player game with player chat, guilds, dungeons, PvP and an auction house. The quests are fine for a MMO, they however tell interesting stories and I always enjoyed playing SWTOR. Alone. Once played with 3 others in my group, it feels alright but other "real" MMOs do it better however.
I think TESO is also good at "being" a single player game as well as a MMO. It's quest so far did never let me down, I enjoyed combat and stuff and the graphics are fine as well. Until now (except for the scheduled server shut down yesterday) everything went smooth, no lags, and not many bugs (maybe 2-3 I encountered, ie. quest guy speaking German instead of English, or couldn't finish a quest because a boss didn't spawn).

;)

Actually meant that the singleplayer games are still being developed alongside the MMO. They are both being made by different teams. The MMO didn't replace the singleplayer titles.

But yeah, I totally get what you're talking about haha.

Offline Fredom

• Baron
  • Renown: 141
  • Infamy: 47
  • cRPG Player
  • Coming from a life of crime.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Fredom ; FredomNumbaNine
  • IRC nick: Steam name: Fredom[NumbaNine]
« Reply #386 on: April 02, 2014, 06:27:45 pm »
I read it's going to cost 13€ a month... That's shit I think. Personally I do not like payments every month, if I want to buy a game, I do it once and don't pay for it every month but if it helps ESO to keep the servers alive it's okay but they will see that not many ppl are going to play it longer than 5 months...
Fredom, are you British? -> You got an American accent!- Merc_Sjarken

Offline Miwiw

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: April 02, 2014, 06:31:45 pm »
Monthly payment is not a reason not to play a game. 13€ a month is nothing. That's about 1 hour of work..
Miwiw_HRE - Two Handed
Trade with me

Offline IR_Kuoin

• King
  • Renown: 1761
  • Infamy: 331
  • cRPG Player
  • What too write here?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigåde
  • Game nicks: KuoiN, Ziath
  • IRC nick: Simply Kuoin
« Reply #388 on: April 02, 2014, 09:00:21 pm »
and 1 hour of work you could spend on other games instead that you haven't bought yet? :D

I guess 1 or 2 months for playing is not that much with the current price it is at, but its like smoking, in the long run you lost more than you gained.

Offline Fredom

• Baron
  • Renown: 141
  • Infamy: 47
  • cRPG Player
  • Coming from a life of crime.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Fredom ; FredomNumbaNine
  • IRC nick: Steam name: Fredom[NumbaNine]
« Reply #389 on: April 02, 2014, 09:36:15 pm »
and 1 hour of work you could spend on other games instead that you haven't bought yet? :D

I guess 1 or 2 months for playing is not that much with the current price it is at, but its like smoking, in the long run you lost more than you gained.
Totally right but if you smoke, I'm not saying I hate smoking people but you pay for harming yourself... but nowadays, everything is harmful I guess...
Fredom, are you British? -> You got an American accent!- Merc_Sjarken