Author Topic: state of the NA siege server (more admins needed)  (Read 3561 times)

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 146
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
Re: state of the NA siege server (more admins needed)
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2011, 03:20:03 pm »
People have lives, and usually there is only a small number of people on past the time I leave.

Siege is basically (typically), the only NA server with any population between 1am-5am (cst), and being that my shifts end late night/early morning, it's where you'll find me after werkz.

From my perspective I think we do a fine job at keeping the peace though.

Quite right. When there are admins on there are virtually no sustained issues. If I had any idea how administration worked from a technical aspect I'd offer to fill the late night void myself, but maybe it's better to have a little lawlessness in that time slot.
You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.

Offline Inigo

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2011, 06:09:45 pm »
For what it's worth, a lot of the TKing/teamwounding and leech report spamming recently has been from LLJK guys. They've been actively encouraging each other to spam leech reports in siege on their own forums to gain multipliers, only starting to back down on this when it obviously started to create a backlash. Seems to me like this would be a pretty easy problem to fix.

Offline Snatch

• Noble
  • Renown: 19
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
  • Just dance
    • View Profile
  • Faction: LLJK
  • Game nicks: Lady Gaga
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2011, 06:21:13 pm »
I encouraged reporting leechers because whenever i play siege there is 3 attackers afking at their spawn, and at least two naked defenders afking or standing around being worthless. I report shit to admins if they are on, but half the time they aren't. I will continue to use a feature to report leechers.

Even if the multiplier bonus was taken out, i would report people.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Inigo

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2011, 06:26:47 pm »
Is this the part where the goons flood in and play the victim while nobody believes them?

Offline Damug

• Noble
  • Renown: 21
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2011, 07:08:42 pm »
I encouraged reporting leechers because whenever i play siege there is 3 attackers afking at their spawn, and at least two naked defenders afking or standing around being worthless. I report shit to admins if they are on, but half the time they aren't. I will continue to use a feature to report leechers.

Even if the multiplier bonus was taken out, i would report people.
I agree completely.  I almost always report people after they've been still 20+ seconds.  They also have the 30 second leech timer.  That's 50+ seconds, or roughly 14%+ of the round they aren't contributing to the assault or defense.  If you've got the leave the keyboard drop to spectator, the rules of the server clearly state it.

Leeching is a pandemic among the player base and admins will enforce it with a varying degree of severity, while admins are encouraged to check to see if immobile or unresponsive players are afk, it is not outside their authority to kick anyone who looks to be afk. Players complain that they may be called away by the doorbell or the telephone, that is your own responsibility and is not an acceptable response, if you have to leave your computer, join the spectator team, then rejoin a team when you return - your multiplier will be restored back to you if your team wins the next round.  A broader definition of what is considered leeching may be required: The act of leeching is when a player spawns with no intention to make a constant effort to help his team win. The point being, if you actively engage the enemy during the map you can never be brandished as a leecher.

Half the people I accuse of leeching come back and bitch that they had to send a text or go take a dump.  The other half are actually booted for leeching.  It's right there in the rules of the server that you're leeching, and I am rightfully accusing you of such.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 07:15:51 pm by Damug »

Offline Damug

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2011, 07:10:37 pm »
Also:
Best fix:
The leecher doesn't see the leech nomination, and instead of pressing 'm' the timer is disabled by taking any action at all.

That way you can't annoy people by spamming it, and people who are actually there are unaffected by it.  Only true leechers would get kicked.

Offline Ufthak

• Baron
  • Renown: 97
  • Infamy: 25
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2011, 07:14:52 pm »
As long as it's Damug and Gaga, we can hear what they say with a straight face. I know Damug uses the feature fine, but most of LLJK doesn't. biggayviking (allegedly) used it in spite on someone that irritated him yesterday after a bunch of the goons got riled up.

Sorry to any other LLJK guys that aren't primarily concerned with trolling and are unfairly generalized.

Offline Geon

• Knight
  • Renown: 41
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Geon, Blazar, qtpi
  • IRC nick: Geon
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2011, 07:32:21 pm »
I like the report leecher function. However I think people need to use it differently. For example admins obviously can't really see what is going on on the enemy team that well. Especially if you're actually trying to play, and end up being an attacker.

What I would suggest (I already ask people to do this) is if you suspect a leecher send admins a message with their name, and what team they are on. That gives us a chance to warn them in admin chat to confirm that they are leeching. If they don't respond within a reasonable amount of time then the player who spotted the player gets to report them.

I believe this gives everyone a chance to have fun, and stops players from staring at AFK people for 20 seconds before reporting them. Hunting leechers is good and all, but not if you end up "leeching" yourself just to confirm people are actually doing so.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 07:38:27 pm by Geon »

Offline Inigo

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2011, 07:38:11 pm »
Half the people I accuse of leeching come back and bitch that they had to send a text or go take a dump.  The other half are actually booted for leeching.  It's right there in the rules of the server that you're leeching, and I am rightfully accusing you of such.

Half the people you spam leech reports on come back instantly, because they looked away from their screen for 2 seconds or stretched their legs after a good round for 5 seconds. You're trying to use the letter of the law to violate the spirit of the law. People are playing this to have fun, and it doesn't matter if someone goes AFK for a couple of seconds. Siege mode is setup to be fairly unrelenting in terms of action, and focusing 99% of your attention on the game versus 100% of your attention on the game makes no difference on the quality of the server, but when that one glance away gets an LLJK guy spamming leech reports on you, it seriously interferes with game enjoyment. This, of course, is pretty much the goal of a lot of the LLJK guys.

Frankly, I think half of the appeal of leech reporting to these trolls is that they can do it anonymously. If they went around spamming ban requests, everyone would immediately see what they were up to and there would be an even bigger backlash. As it stands, I'd wager that anyone that plays siege consistently has been targeted by frivolous leech reports, many from LLJK guys.

Offline Damug

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2011, 07:39:58 pm »
I like the report leecher function. However I think people need to use it differently. For example admins obviously can't really see what is going on on the enemy team that well. Especially if you're actually trying to play, and end up being an attacker. What I would suggest (I already ask people to do this) is if you suspect a leecher send admins a message with their name, and what team they are on. That gives us a chance to warn them in admin chat to confirm that they are leeching. If they don't respond within a reasonable amount of time then the player who spotted the player gets to report them. I believe this gives everyone a chance to have fun, and stops players from starring at AFK people for 20 seconds before reporting them. Hunting leechers is good and all, but not if you end up "leeching" yourself just to confirm people are actually doing so.
Why add needless steps resembling an inefficient bureaucracy to a simple system.  All you have to do is press 'm'.  It's easy enough to disable the timer and anyone actually playing should never be kicked for it between the long timer and your whole screen being filled with the 'you're leeching' message as it is currently implemented.  Really, anyone who complains about being accused a leecher outside of actually being engaged with an enemy (in which case that was a malicious move on the part of the accuser to grief and should be handled appropriately) is just being a whiny baby.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 07:43:29 pm by Damug »

Offline Damug

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2011, 07:42:26 pm »
Half the people you spam leech reports on come back instantly, because they looked away from their screen for 2 seconds or stretched their legs after a good round for 5 seconds. You're trying to use the letter of the law to violate the spirit of the law. People are playing this to have fun, and it doesn't matter if someone goes AFK for a couple of seconds.
Then press 'm' and move on with playing the game.  No harm was done, you looked afk, you were reported, you weren't, so nothing happens to you.

Offline Inigo

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2011, 07:45:48 pm »
Then press 'm' and move on with playing the game.  No harm was done, you looked afk, you were reported, you weren't, so nothing happens to you.

When "looked afk" equals "paused in running to type a message" or "stopped moving for 2 seconds to scratch your nose" there's clearly a problem with the judgment of the person doing the reporting. Another potential solution to this problem would be something like automatic temp bans for anyone with a high enough fail rate on their leech reports, or removing multiplier for every failed leech report.

Offline Geon

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2011, 07:50:01 pm »
30 seconds is a long time to prove that you are not AFK, but siege chat scrolls by extremely fast. So if you look away for more than 10 seconds there is a chance you will not see the red messages. I don't think it's a needless step in the process of kicking leechers. It simply stops players from thinking they are admins, and should go scouting around for leechers rather than play the game.

Offline Damug

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2011, 07:53:42 pm »
30 seconds is a long time to prove that you are not AFK, but siege chat scrolls by extremely fast. So if you look away for more than 10 seconds there is a chance you will not see the red messages. I don't think it's a needless step in the process of kicking leechers. It simply stops players from thinking they are admins, and should go scouting around for leechers rather than play the game.
When I look away, the first thing I do when I look back is press 'm'.  Donno, it's a good habit to have I suppose.  Generally if I have to direct my attention elsewhere for an extended period of time I'll just drop to spectator for a minute or two (or more) then come back and join the fight.

Offline Geon

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2011, 07:57:25 pm »
When I look away, the first thing I do when I look back is press 'm'.  Donno, it's a good habit to have I suppose.  Generally if I have to direct my attention elsewhere for an extended period of time I'll just drop to spectator for a minute or two (or more) then come back and join the fight.

That's exactly what people should be doing. If you're going to go afk even for a minute you should join spectators. It's not like you even lose your multiplier. Also pressing M every now, and then isn't a bad idea either. I will admit I turn around to watch a play in a sports game for about 10 seconds, but then I quickly refocus on the battle.