Author Topic: Forcefields, why are they here?  (Read 1934 times)

Offline Wraist

• Knight
  • Renown: 44
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Forcefields, why are they here?
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2012, 12:42:19 am »
I've never had a shield block one of my attacks when I was attacking a shielder's back, nor has that ever happened to me. Some things are impossible to block depending on a shielder's shield [I use the steel buckler and it dies in one or two axe hits], the first one that comes to mind is blocking attacks that would hit me in the back, and blocking attacks to the sides [To clarify, in manual blocking, when you would block the opposite direction you would normally block, such as blocking a left swing with the right block].

Offline Moncho

• King
  • Renown: 1127
  • Infamy: 221
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Moncho, Some_Random_STF, Some_Random_Troll
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2012, 12:58:39 am »
+1
First, LeoKing has a very agi oriented build, he has a few more points in shield than most other shielders, so dont take him as your example because he does not have an average build. Its like saying: Derp can 1hit me for someone with a 30-9 build or weaboo 121 can spam me for a 180 wpf katana build with good footwork...
Secondly, back hits are not blocked by hits, if you see so it probably is because of lag and the hit actually came from the front or the edge.
Thirdly, a decrease in shield weight would (at least for me) be a nerf, since weight is what helps you against crushthrough (together with shield skill)
Also, you cant move your shield around, and if you have to, then it is actually worse than manual blocking, so why would you bother? Ive been hit by people who start their swings in front of you then move around your shield and hit you around it (because of me failing at footwork in that situation), whereas irl the guy would have no problem putting the shield in the way...
Same way as in ranged, as you dont feel the weapon, you have the crosshair.
And what reasoning you put behind:
Shield skill should give you speed, maybe reduce the weight of your shield, and increase it's strengh,

gives you speed: because you can move it around faster, as you know how to use it better. For the exact same reason, you can move it up and down and "reach" for those arrows.
reduce weight: as stated above, it would be a nerf against maulers, and why being more proficient makes it lighter? it makes no sense.
Increase strength: Why? Because you know how to put it to reduce the damage taken, but wait, its exactly the same point as for speed!!!

So, Blindguy, please open your eyes, and stop saying bullshit.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2012, 02:13:59 am »
Shield skill does increase the strength of the shield, 8% damage reduction per level O_o
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 02:15:12 am by Tears of Destiny »
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Aleskander

• Baron
  • Renown: 80
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
  • I swear to drunk ossifer I'm not god
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Aleskander, Alesoy Varsov
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2012, 02:42:01 am »

1. No, not lag, bumplance. nothing to do with lag.
2. Entirely possible; fix a/ offset hitbox 15% or fix b/ remove curved weapons. Scimitars were NEVER used like straight swords in combat, they were used close to the body, semi-halfswording, and involved using your body as a fulcrum and the weight behind the blow.
3. Ok, so make the player have to do that instead of spamming leftmouse
4. No, its not negligent, bundle of stickss with Strongbow's and 27 agi have got to go.
5. As stated.

1-Yes lag, but fine. If we can't bumplance then you die when you get run over. Period.
2-a-So you want scimitars to have the blade so much ahead of the hit? No, how is that better.b-The animations in M&B are meant to replace what actually happens, not document it literally.
3-Not possible to alter a weapons grip in game in M&B. It would be nice though(I've thought about it)
4-Almost ALL weapons in CRPG weigh more that they do, so unless you want to make all players run a 3 mph, be quiet
5-Bucklers really don't block that way at all ingame, the only way that would happen is if an archer shot him in the same place several times. I've been hit by arrows that have come from right at front of me several times. Tell the archer who did that to not be an idiot.

"Die in Turkish Penis"-Grabber, 14-6-12
Never forget

Offline ArchonAlarion

• Baron
  • Renown: 98
  • Infamy: 54
  • Late 15th cen. English Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ArchonAlarion, DON'T_WAKE_GRANDPA, NASTY_TURTLE, UNARMED_CLASS_ DON'T_BAN_PLS, et al.
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2012, 04:37:09 am »
As stated above, No. It doesnt simulate anything, I cant honestly say I have never abused it myself, just as I have shot ppl with 160 wpf arbalest, and just as arabalest has no real life medieval counterpart, neither has shields that block stabs to the back, arrows 20 cm's from them, etc. Shield skill should give you speed, maybe reduce the weight of your shield, and increase it's strengh, but the model of the shield needs to represent the actual blocking size vs misiles AND melee, just have a long hard look at Noob_Leoking in the screenshot and tell me that is NOT ridiculous.

The shield blocking animation is INSUFFICIENT to simulate how blocking with a shield actually works. Unless you totally re-work how shield blocking, it must remain.

Offline Wraist

• Knight
  • Renown: 44
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2012, 05:51:47 am »
The shield blocking animation is INSUFFICIENT to simulate how blocking with a shield actually works. Unless you totally re-work how shield blocking, it must remain.

To give him some credit, I'm pretty sure that he's only referring to shields blocking attacks from behind [Ie, the shield is facing left and the attack is coming from the right 0P\M [0 shield P shielder \sword M me], although I've never seen/experienced this

Offline Dalhi

• Earl
  • Renown: 415
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Dalhi
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2012, 07:57:20 am »
1/ Bump lance. Lance is longer than distance from riders hand to horse...so how can he stab me once Im already past his lance? Makes no sense, logically or gameplay wise.

As bump lancing can be considered as figthing technique, well it is a bit silly that the lance gets through ponys head  :lol:, it requires some practice and timing as you have to aim your lance, so I don't really mind. What is pissing me off is getting bumped couched, I consider couching mechanic as... broken. Not whining, just sayin'.

2/Curved weapons: the hit before blade gets to you, because the dmg trigger hitbox is a straight line.

It's been a while since I last time had scimitar in my hands, but it's not really that much of a difference. If game calculates it as straight sword then it means that it connects as fast as other straight swords with same speed, for example italian sword or nordic war sword, the difference is in a fact that model is a slightly harder to spot. It goes to excuses bag  :P

3/ Axes/Poleaxes/Picks: Likewise, straight line hitbox, offset, somehow also they do cut dmg with their shaft....fix or remove, only abusers will miss.

I don't have any problem with that, somone mentioned that this can not be changed, no point in crying about it.

5/ FORCEFIELDS. I fucking hate these. When I walk up BEHIND a guy and stab him, he should not be able to magiblock just cause he has his shield held up INFRONT of him and has built a shitton of shieldskill on his fucking lame lvl 35 shield+spam toon, and likewise if a missile does NOT hit his shield, it should NOT be magically held in the air by his control over the darkside of the force. An example:

Avarage shielder has 5 maybe 6 shield skill, with kite shields or some other smaller ones you can pretty easly get shot in sides. I have never a single case that a shielder blocked overhead from behind (but I've seen few times people that luckily blocked overhead from behind manually blocking with f.e. sword) I call it bullshit. With lower shield skill you can easly get shot facing archer, it does look ridiculous sometimes, but whose are marginal cases like LeoKing. This shield if pretty awfull anyway, every time I pick it up from the gorund I regret that I did it.

Offline kinngrimm

• King
  • Renown: 1026
  • Infamy: 320
    • View Profile
    • The Betrayer of Nations
  • Faction: Wolves of Fenris
  • Game nicks: kinngrimm, Karma
  • IRC nick: kinngrimm
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2012, 09:29:35 am »
+3
I have few complaints about the mod, and they mostly based on things that break the immersion, stuff that was/could never be possible, never happend, or is just plain broken.
i am listening

(click to show/hide)
the way you formulate a suggestion, in my humble opinion, doesn't help your case, all these things mentioned are from your subjective perspective and additional implied imaginations, but from what i have read hear and seen myself ingame perfectly explainable with things like f.e. lags (or also in my personal opinion "lack of skill")
If that isn't sufficent: We are living in an imperfect world surrounded by imperfect people building imperfect systems ... chill

I've decided, enough is enough, noobs want stupid changes to mechanics that arent broken and whine all day on this forum, I just want some common sense fixes.
the irony
learn from the past, live the moment, dream of the future

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2012, 10:24:03 am »
Avarage shielder has 5 maybe 6 shield skill, with kite shields or some other smaller ones you can pretty easly get shot in sides. I have never a single case that a shielder blocked overhead from behind (but I've seen few times people that luckily blocked overhead from behind manually blocking with f.e. sword) I call it bullshit. With lower shield skill you can easly get shot facing archer, it does look ridiculous sometimes, but whose are marginal cases like LeoKing. This shield if pretty awfull anyway, every time I pick it up from the gorund I regret that I did it.

This. The so-called forcefield nerf only reduced the size of all shields to be actually a lot smaller than their models.

You end up having a shield hitbox smaller than the model (on the sides, which is the only direction that actually matters anyway) at all shield skill levels but the abusive 8+.

I think bucklers should provide 0 range protection. This has been done in other mods with blocking weapons. Also, (but that requires some WSE witchcraft afaik), the shield skill coverage bonus should be nerfed and the base coverage of all shields returned to values that match the models.

Offline Rebelyell

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 398
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Bobby
  • IRC nick: boobby
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2012, 12:29:25 pm »
forcefield is mistake and you can say what you want but that is really retarded idea

you want good shield against archers ???? Take bordshield or huscral... oh wait, no one use them because its shit!!!!
to big to hevy and to slow.

You ask why???? because we have forcefield ingame wich makes your shield 7x bigger(bukler)
no one use proper shields against archers.  Shields wich were use in meele fight are universall supernatural shit

Go and make shields there reall size or make that forcefield less
Most funny is when you hit horrsy and you see shield taking a hit... WTF<<<<--------- soo explain me why thats feer
and i don't really care then they will day in 1 hit because of that stupid bulids

also kingrim, or leo (I really like that guy) abuze that system soo i don't care about thers opinion.

Forcefield only in shieldwall

edit:typos like always

« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 04:39:16 pm by Rebelyell »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Hey, I just met you,
And this is crazy,
You just killed me
Nerf you maybe?

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1930
  • Infamy: 1388
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2012, 12:50:47 pm »
I agree with Grey on many points (especially on polearm "issue") but I also agree with Dalhi. Despite forcefield, on moderate skill levels, shield isn't true counter to ranged. It's so easy to shoot beside it. Also when fighting longer weapons you're better without it because most people (unlike me) are smart and will use range as their advantage. With manual blocking you'll easier get into range than with a shield that slows you down.

But after 7 points, shield skill is broken which some players already figured out and it's part of their builds.

Buckler stopping every single arrow due to 8 shield skill is bullshit. But bigger shields meant for that should stop arrows even at 3 or 4 shield skill.

Biggest problem I have with shield forcefield is when shield is used on a horse. If rider isn't idiot he can slightly lower his shield to block his horse's legs. Broken...
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 12:54:15 pm by Leshma »

Offline Aleskander

• Baron
  • Renown: 80
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
  • I swear to drunk ossifer I'm not god
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Aleskander, Alesoy Varsov
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2012, 01:05:16 pm »
+1

Biggest problem I have with shield forcefield is when shield is used on a horse. If rider isn't idiot he can slightly lower his shield to block his horse's legs. Broken...

I have to agree with this. I don't know how, but somehow I have blocked strikes to my horses legs with a buckler.

"Die in Turkish Penis"-Grabber, 14-6-12
Never forget

Offline Dalhi

• Earl
  • Renown: 415
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Dalhi
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2012, 04:19:18 pm »
+1

Yes, I played as 1h/cav hybrid some time ago for few weeks and shield coverage on horseback is in my opinion the only problem with shield forcfield.

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2012, 04:24:34 pm »

I'm gonna go 18/18 with champ mamluke and 6 shield skill next gen just to show how broken it is. It's a pain in the arse for pikers, having shields blocking the pike going into the horse's face a lot of the time making you lose a lot of your hp and not be able to stop the horse for your team.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2012, 04:27:05 pm »
I agree with Grey on many points

So blindguy is Templar_Grey ? That would explain things.

Also, Rebelyell I don't even understand a thing of your post this time.

*yay for constructive replies*