Author Topic: Buff Alternates please  (Read 1018 times)

Offline Khalim

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Buff Alternates please
« on: April 24, 2012, 09:12:35 pm »
Hi

I am playing CRPG for some time, but I am not a high Gen player. Actually I am Gen 1 because I started over some times. I did this because I wanted variety in my playstyle.

Maybe I am bad informed but as far as I know the Alternate system works this way:

You have 1 Main who can access the market
You can create alts, play them to 31 and sacrifice for Heirloompoints
I dont know if you get gen+1 if you sacrifice lv31 Alternate but I assume this.

The problem I currently see is, that you dont have access to the market with your alts. This really limits the fun of playing an Alt because you know that you waste a lot of money, due to the limitateion of transfering gold.

You either have the choice of:

1, play Main and have full advantage but keep grinding the same stuff for 8,7 Mio xp
2, switch between Main and Alt from time to time but get punished with lesser goldincome per time

Both of them are bad choices. I dont like the system and I dont see the point why the player should be punished if he wants to swich characters.

The best solution is simple:
Just allow Alts to use the market. It enables the player to transfer gold and nothing is lost.
Its like having 1 account and the opportunity to play different characters and this would be great.

Please keep in mind that using alt already has a (small) disadvantage already, if they would be allowed to use market.
Playing several Alt at once would lead to a small DELAY of GENEREATIOn which is a small Xp punishment, but this is acceptable.

I really hope that playing an Alt will get buff, because the current version sucks and I dont see the point of it.

If my idea is based on wrong assumptions please tell me.
" ME LONG WOOD PIECE WITH SHARP STONE AT PEAK.ME COME RIDE TO YOU ON BIG ANIMAL FAST."

Offline Mallets

• Earl
  • Renown: 394
  • Infamy: 22
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Mallets and his family
Re: Buff Alternates please
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 06:09:18 am »
The flaw with allowing Alts to use the marketplace is that they can essentially just give more money to their main... and give an unfair advantage in Strategus.  At least that's what I was told when I made a thread asking for Alts to use the marketplace.

However, I've made another thread with an idea that will buff Alts and helps with inflation in the marketplace... and seemingly has no unfair effects.

Check out the thread below, would love to have your vote.

http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,30740.0.html

Offline Khalim

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 11:10:03 am »
and give an unfair advantage in Strategus.  At least that's what I was told when I made a thread asking for Alts to use the marketplace.

I dont know much about strategus, but I dont see the unfair advantage.

You can either earn 20000 Gold on your Main account or 10000 + 10000 on Main and Alt IN THE SAME TIME.
Whoever said that there is an unfair advantage is just wrong and fails logic...

The other point you mentioned, the inflation, is also a weird arguement.
Fighting inflation should DEFINITLY be with other game mechanisms instead of BREAKING an interesting aspect of the game.
Every serious gamedesigner will LOL hard at the current situation and the arguments brought up.

I know its not your standpoint and I will look into your thread. Actually I found your thread some time ago, but could not find it again...

PS.: I dont understand the connection to inflation. Transfering money between alt and main and inflation are 2 different topics which might depend on each other but should be treated individualy.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 11:12:51 am by Khalim »
" ME LONG WOOD PIECE WITH SHARP STONE AT PEAK.ME COME RIDE TO YOU ON BIG ANIMAL FAST."

Offline Mallets

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 04:41:56 pm »
I don't understand how your brain works!

Your saying my method of directly giving money to Alts is somehow "Broken".  But allowing Alts to receive money through the Marketplace is not.  How come?  Not saying your's is broken.  But how is mine then?  And as for using the term "broken"... that's totally a matter of opinion! 

Now I know that you are basically saying that Players should be able to use the Market to trade money back and forth between Mains & Alts... to make it as though you have one big account (money pool), with several characters.  How's that not more drastic than what I propose?!  All of a sudden, you'll have tons more money in the Market... which is not a good thing (mentioned in last sentence).

And Atls being able to use the Market to give Mains money does effect Strategus... so the Devs almost certainly won't go for it.  Hence my decision to take the Marketplace idea out.  I don't actually have a problem with Alts using Marketplace... but if that idea won't get approved... why not go with something that just may (the idea I proposed).  And you may say that you don't see how it's an unfair advantage if you put time in you Alt, that your Main give the benefit of gold.  Well Strategus is just meant for Main characters.  It they are able to receive gold from Alts... it's an outside advantage.  Know, myself just as you... have not dealt with Strategus much... but this is what I've been told by players who have spent time in Strategus (so I'm going to take their word).  And as said... even it it's really not that big of an advantage for Mains to receive gold... if Devs aren't going to approve of the Marketplace idea... I don't want it messing up my idea.

Actually I found your thread some time ago, but could not find it again...

Not really sure how you found it sometime ago, cause I just made it like 12 hours ago.  Unless you mean my old post... but basically had your Alts using Marketplace idea.  As mentioned above... was told why it's unfair.  And folks seemed to ignore (and not vote) in that topic... so maybe their were right.  However... more folks have already voted in my NEW topic.  Maybe it's an idea that better suits the community.

The other point you mentioned, the inflation, is also a weird arguement.
Fighting inflation should DEFINITLY be with other game mechanisms instead of BREAKING an interesting aspect of the game.
Every serious gamedesigner will LOL hard at the current situation and the arguments brought up

PS.: I dont understand the connection to inflation. Transfering money between alt and main and inflation are 2 different topics which might depend on each other but should be treated individualy.

Hahahahaha!  Your brain is warped.  Who says they should be treated individually?!  Give an argument for this.  Whatever function you use to fight inflation... it's going to have a connection to inflation (or deflation).  The reason there's inflation is because there's too much money in circulation (or at least more money than a few months back).  And by "circulation"... that means the amount of money that all Mains have.  With players constantly making, this amount of gold will naturally increase.  Hence Upkeep introduced to help curve the amount of money that players have stored up (thus fighting inflation in the Market).  My idea would help do the same.  It would take money away from folks Mains (if they so choose), thus taking money away from the Market.

Your idea would actually flood the Market with more money... thus causing inflation.  Simple economics bro!!!

Offline Beauchamp

• Earl
  • Renown: 427
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
    • Personal portfolio
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 04:43:10 pm »
these all limitations with alts somehow do more wrong than good imo.
OOODDIIINVALHALLAAAAAAA on the 20th of April 2011: What I know is that... heh, eh ja how can I explain? ...deh feeling to believe in Odin is right, dat is what I say, ja?!

Offline Khalim

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 05:01:28 pm »
Your saying my method of directly giving money to Alts is somehow "Broken".

I am not sure if I offended you somehow but your way of argumenting seems offensive towerds my. However, we are actually on the same side ;)
I think you probably misunderstood me.

What I actually want is, that I have access to ALL THE MONEY i earned. Furthermore I want to play different Characters at the same time for experience diversity in playstyle.
As I mentioned you will lose money if you play an Alt.

I approve your idea, but I dont get the whole point of it because it is just a "half thing". You want to allow the Main to give money to the Alt. Thats fine, but your reasons for this are completly different ones.

To my mind it is important for the game to allow players to switch chars without getting punished.
Transfering money over the market would be the way to go, but it could also be done over another gold transfer system.

I only see advantage in my idea, the mentioned increased Inflation is ANOTHER TOPIC.

What I meant with "broken" ist, that one game mechanic should not be limited by another bad feature.

Its basically like this:
Inflation sucks->we limit the viability of playing Alts->this sucks even more

Instead of ruining the fun of playing Alts the problem with the inflation has to be solved in another way. As I said, transfering money between alts and mains are COMPLETLY DIFFERENT TOPICS, which are linked together indirectly.

To fix the inflation the only good solution is to buff or create GOLD SINKS, but not by limit the players options.

As I said: I like your idea but I wonder why you dont go for the "full cake".
Your idea goes from "meh" to "nice" but my idea is "awesome" ;)

Just allow player to transfer gold between the characters they have. Actually the advantages are obvious, what has to be discussed?

My personal situation now is this:

Î play my main who is specialized in polearm. From time to time I would like to play crossbow so I created an Alt who is specialized in crossbow.
But because of the current situation I abandoned the idea of playing the Alt and play only my main.
And this simply sucks.
And also my way of playing  does not work positive against inflation.
The overall situation just sucks in every way.

Playing an Alternate is just not viable if you think in an economical way. If I play an alt from 0 to 100% I will probably lose 200-400k Gold.
Why should I do this? Of course I will not do this, its just stupid.

If there is a problem with the inflation then think about another idea how to solve this FFS, but not by ruining the fun of playing an alt.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 05:11:39 pm by Khalim »

Offline Draggon

• Knight
  • Renown: 64
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
  • Blocking axes with my face since June 2011
    • View Profile
    • SnowHawkClan.org
  • Faction: Snowhawk Clan (SHC)
  • Game nicks: SHC_Draggon, SHC_Draggonfang, SHC_Draggonclaw
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 05:09:24 pm »
One good thing for sure about the idea of letting Alts access the Market is that it would bring some fluidity.  Right now the Market seems pretty stale.  Hardly anything is moving or being bought compared to just a couple of months ago.  Some Alt fresh meat on the Market would probably give it the jolt it needs.  And of course there would be more reason to play Alts then too.  Currently it just feels like a waste of time to play one.

As for Strat, I'm not sure if it's possible to code it this way, but to avoid allowing multiple characters for one person in Strat as "mains", continue to only allow the actual primary Main to access Strat.  The rest are still just Alts.  However, everytime you log into an Alt to play cRPG, your Main in Strat reaps the benefits just as if you were on your Main in cRPG. 

Offline Mallets

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 05:13:45 pm »
Yeah, I didn't mean to sound offence... just didn't totally understand where you were coming from.  Or at least I was confused... cause I thought you were totally shooting down my idea... but then approving of yours... when in many aspects we want the same thing.

As I said: I like your idea but I wonder why you dont go for the "full cake".
Your idea goes from "meh" to "nice" but my idea is "awesome" ;)

I understand your thought here!  Hence my post a week ago proposing exactly what you proposed.  But it seems that the Devs are not going to go for that idea (allowing Alts in the Market).  If you can get them to approve... then I think that's great.  But I know we'd have a much harder time getting your idea approved... over my idea.

So that's why I'm not going for the "full cake"!   :P

Trust me, I'd love to!  I'd love to go the full limit!  I like what you proposed (hence doing so myself a week ago).  But that idea is almost certainly going to be shoot down... then I'm down with a happy medium.  I'd love the gold from both my Main & Alts to be like one big pot.  But if that can't happen... then I would simply love to afford my Alts some financial stability!  My idea... which has a better chance of getting approved... will allow for this.

And yes, it sucks that money may get lost (with Alts not being able to trade).  But that will help fight inflation.  I'm personally not concerned about inflation.  But if that helps get players on board... then I'm preaching it!   :P

All in all, I'm glad we want the same thing!  Sorry if I sounded like a dick!  If the Devs will take interest in your idea... then I'm on board!  But from what I've experienced... the community told me they won't.  Hopefully I can get enough votes with my idea, that the Devs will take notice!

Offline Khalim

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 05:20:25 pm »
Ahh, then I am glad that it was just a misunderstanding ;)
Maybe I wrote confusing, english is not my main language and its good to know that there is somebody who thinks the same way.(and too lazy to reread :P)

However, it seemed that the devs have a weird imagination of the situation :D

Actually I cant believe that they dont want to allow Alts in the market, this decision is just not within reason...

As I said, Inflation is another topic and maybe the devs can be convinced that they have to go another way to shut down inflation. Actually I also have no problem with inflation, the prices seem steady. Furthermore the moneybalance seems stable. Also I think that heirloompoints will actually become CHEAPER, because the supply will increase.
I see a lot of people in full platearmor and this might be the reason that there is no inflation at all. But small people like me would realy like to get some heirlooms too when starting from Gen1 and getting only +3% where other people on the other hand have Gen16+ and got much more XP in former days...

I am 100% sure that fighting inflation has to be done in a different place. Not here.

PS.: Also I would not trust devs anyways. Actually I think that CRPG sucks in so many ways, but still it makes a lot of fun. If I think about how ridiculous awesome the game could be if everything is done properly according to "the laws of good gamedesign"...
But unfortunatly the devs are not perfect and there are probably a lot of blocker in the forum/community(as it is in EVERY gameforum)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 05:27:48 pm by Khalim »

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 12:07:20 am »
No need bra.

Finish gen 1, sell loom point, do what ever the hell you want.

As for diversity of play styles, you can STF once a week.

This time last year there were no alts but you could STF your main, then delete it and make another... I did that about 30 times, then when respecing got brought in I did that about 10 times. So now after a year I'm on gen 5, I should be maxed out but I dicked around. Don't make the same mistake, pick a build and play it through to lvl 20-23 and then respec if you hate it but only respec once per gen.
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline Khalim

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 12:44:39 am »
No need bra.

Finish gen 1, sell loom point, do what ever the hell you want.

As for diversity of play styles, you can STF once a week.

This time last year there were no alts but you could STF your main, then delete it and make another... I did that about 30 times, then when respecing got brought in I did that about 10 times. So now after a year I'm on gen 5, I should be maxed out but I dicked around. Don't make the same mistake, pick a build and play it through to lvl 20-23 and then respec if you hate it but only respec once per gen.

Playing the game like this would totally suck for me. I would rather delete CRPG.

Also I dont have a bond to STF characters. I want different Chars I can play and build and chose the one to play.
Is this too difficult to understand?

Grinding from 1-25 is horrible imo, its just peansentry, leeching and kamikaze...