Author Topic: Advice on 1h weapons  (Read 6024 times)

Offline Phazey

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Phaz, Merc_Phazh, Merc_Phazhe, Merc_Phazhey and Merc_Phazey
  • IRC nick: Phazh
Re: Advice on 1h weapons
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2011, 07:50:33 pm »
Absolutely true! Price has become a serious factor in what weapon you can use. Cheaper weapons means more money for good armor. So try to factor in price when you pick a weapon.

Offline Tenzek

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2011, 10:40:43 pm »
I like the Long Arming Sword.  This forgotten sword (don't see it mentioned anywhere...) is within a couple points of the best swords (in terms of damage and speed) but is slightly longer than the side sword and 3k or 4k cheaper!  This lets you have 3k worth of more armor, etc.  It works well for me, and is a good choice for horseback as well.

Long Arming Sword
cost: 5k
spd rtng 98
weapon length 102
swing damage 30, cut
thrust damage 24 pierce

There is also the Knightly Arming Sword, which I use and I think is more comparable to the high-end swords

It reads:

spd rtng 97
weapon length 102
swing damage 31 cut
thrust damage 24 pierce

And it costs about 6.8k.

In the end, however, it heirlooms slightly better than the other swords. It makes up a missing damage point so that it ends up even in slash damage with the 32 base swords by the 2nd heirloom, and it's only one behind the side sword in thrust at masterwork.

According to the thread on this forum that lists heirloom levels, the Masterwork Arming Sword reads:

Gen3= 99spd 36cut 28pierce 102 length

And the Masterwork Side Sword reads:

Gen3= 103spd 36cut 29pierce 95 length

To me, that's a tough call and I am favoring the Knightly Arming Sword slightly at the moment not even taking price into consideration. Conceeding 1 thrust damage and 4 speed for 7 extra reach seems like a good trade.

Offline Jarold

• Marshall
  • Renown: 987
  • Infamy: 142
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "Always wear more armor than the guy next to you."
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarold
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2011, 02:16:39 am »
thanks for replys, ive tried them all besides warhammer, but im leaning towards the idea that they are pretty much all the same.  Im gonna go with steel pick due to the piercing dmg and my character being a high agil shielder

Offline Tenzek

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2011, 03:06:14 am »
Well, no. None of them are the same really.

They each offer some tradeoff. A bonus for a penalty.

For example, between the 3 main swords:

Side Sword is the shortest and fastest. It has the hardest hitting slash and a medium thrust.

The Long Espalda is the longest and is of medium speed. It has the strongest thrust but the weakest slash.

The Knightly Arming sword is of slightly lesser length than the espalda, and is the slowest. It is tied for the strongest slash but has the weakest thrust.

In the case of the pick, you trade off a very large amount of range and the ability to perform a thrust attack for good speed (only one less than the side sword, faster than the other 2) and high piercing damage on every attack.

Offline Formless

• Baron
  • Renown: 102
  • Infamy: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2011, 04:56:08 am »
You guys are missing the best 1 hander out there the Sarranid Cavalry Sword. 

Sarranid Cavalry Sword   5308   
weight 1.35
requirement 8
spd rtng 95
weapon length 105
swing damage 33, cut
thrust damage 19 pierce

I first started with the warhammer and found it too short, tried the Side Sword found it quick and still a bit short.  Used the long Espalda and liked it, then I used the Sarranid Cavalry Sword and I friggen love it. 

Its longer then the long Espalda which comes in very handy fighting good and fast agility players, it deals more swing damage then the Espalda, sure its slower and has a lower stab but after using it for a bit you get used to that.  But probably the best part is that its cheaper then all the top swords.  I am looking forward to heirlooming mine or trading for it when it comes to be available.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 05:00:36 am by Formless »
“Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.” - Bruce Lee

Offline Sean_Drew

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: no faction
  • Game nicks: my secret ;-) Only 4 chars now : 1h/shielder , 2h , xbower , archer. The other 25 chars are deleted.
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2011, 12:11:48 pm »
Don´t forget to think about the range.

What´s the use of a high damage weapon , that swings only through the air instead of hitting the enemy.

I think the weapons about 60-70 range .... maybe 80 are too short to fight against high athletic 2h, which are strafing around.

So ... what weapons are about 98-100+ range ?

The second is your playstyle ...

Do you like to stab ? Or do you hate it ? If you like stab .... try weapons with high piercing damage, like long espada eslavona. It has long range for 1h , and high piercing damage, which is good against high armor ( at least when it´s heirloomed ) .

If you don´t like stab. Try weapons like nordic champions sword , or knightly arming sword.

If you hate stab , and don´t want to stab at all, try something like elite scimitar. It has no stab, but good speed and lenght. But think about cutting damage against high armor isn´t so effective like piercing damage. Many players have 46+ armor. But with one hit extra you can reach the same damage with cut. And a hit against the head makes more damage i think ...
So cut is allright too.

If you don´t want to pay much, try something like italian sword ...

It´s all about what you like, but don´t forget the range... it´s boring if the 2h make just one step back after hitting, and you swing through the air , just to be hit from the next 2h swing, which has longer range. Don´t use too short weapons.

If you are very fast , like 8+ athletic , you can try to be a facehugger, with a very short weapon. But i don´t like such a playstyle ;-) It´s about what you like. Try it out.

You have the choice !!! It´s fun to find out ...
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 09:52:25 am by Sean_Drew »
Sorry , my english is bad ... ;-) I do my best :-)

Offline tortoul

• Knight
  • Renown: 52
  • Infamy: 10
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: STRanger
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2011, 06:29:20 pm »
Forget the Wakizashi, it may be fast, but its very short.
If you want a fast one, you should try Niuweidao. I have a Masterwork Niuweidao and i'm really happy with it.
looked up threads but couldnt find, so sorry if i write offtop
could someone explain me how to upgrade your weapons? or give me, please, a link
p.s. is armour upgradable?
Up onto the overturned keel. Clamber, with a heart of steel.
Cold is the ocean's spray. And your death is on its way.
With maidens you have had your way...
Each must die some day.

Offline Murchad

• Noble
  • Renown: 24
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2011, 06:38:01 pm »
looked up threads but couldnt find, so sorry if i write offtop
could someone explain me how to upgrade your weapons? or give me, please, a link
p.s. is armour upgradable?

It is a retirement bonus. If you retire at 31, you get a bonus upgrade to a weapon or armor. You can upgrade an item 3 times.

As well as the item bonus, you get +100xp per tick.

Offline Earthdforce

• Earl
  • Renown: 391
  • Infamy: 150
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Earth_Geodude_da_Defender, _RageThrower
  • IRC nick: Khalestimo#7613
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2011, 06:44:58 pm »
Tortoul, you can heirloom any weapon that you can equip when your retire.

Example: Johnny only has 3 riding, so when he retires he CANNOT heirloom his courser but he CAN heirloom his rouncey.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline tortoul

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2011, 06:57:47 pm »
Tortoul, you can heirloom any weapon that you can equip when your retire.

Example: Johnny only has 3 riding, so when he retires he CANNOT heirloom his courser but he CAN heirloom his rouncey.
It is a retirement bonus. If you retire at 31, you get a bonus upgrade to a weapon or armor. You can upgrade an item 3 times.

As well as the item bonus, you get +100xp per tick.
thank you, guys
Each must die some day.

Offline tortoul

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2011, 07:05:21 pm »
i prefer scimitar to niuweidao. but can't decide which is better: scimitar with spd 101, range 97 and 30 dmg or elite scimitar with spd 100, range 99 and dmg 31. does elite scimitar worth its price and repair price?
help me please, oh expert)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 07:12:19 pm by tortoul »
Each must die some day.

Offline Kophka

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
  • for the final ride
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Remnants
  • Game nicks: Kophka/Koschei
  • IRC nick: Kophka
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2011, 07:07:16 pm »
My favorite 1 hander is really the Iberian mace. Looks awesome, hits hard, and it's cheap. I think I'm the only one that uses it in NA, so it has that going for it too. :D

Offline Rangerbob

• Knight
  • Renown: 40
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rangerbob
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2011, 07:14:18 pm »
You may want to look into the 1h axes.  They offer a good advantage against other shields and hit like a truck when heirloomed.

Offline 1slander

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • cRPG Player
  • Timing that sidestep is key to the 1h battle axe
    • View Profile
  • Faction: NORD
  • Game nicks: Araios, Pallas, Hammer. Formerly DRAC & Duke_of_Hazard
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2011, 07:15:02 pm »
I went against the grain and chose the Battle Axe, I also use IF, so perhaps taking advice from me isn't recommended but I was at the top or near the top of the charts last night in the battle servers for my team consistently - and there were some amazingly good players on - seriously.

Heirloomed twice, just hit 30 so 4.4 million to final heirloom on it.

Powerful Broad One Handed Battle Axe - weight 2.35 - requirement 9 - spd rtng 98 - weapon length 73 - swing damage 39 - Bonus Against Shields

at 3rd Heirloom it will be 99spd, 40cut and probably heavier

Build at lvl 30
Strength 21 
Agility 15
2 pts converted
One Handed 146 wpf
Ironflesh 7 
Power Strike 7 
Shield 5 
Athletics 5   
Weapon master 5 

Ussually wear chain to low tiered heavy, or else just the pilgrim disguise outfit which I can kill plate very effectively in due to mobility and hitting power with that axe - break their shield then break their face.

Good Luck On Your Build - I really hated going pure 1 hand at first since I used to be hybrid thrower but once you get the hang of it it's good.  Situational though and some maps will be tough, but all in all a solid choice.  Suck up close to your opponent, keeping them from circling behind your shield is the main issue.  Some opponents are just spam fodder while others take a long winded battle, but played right you can easily take on 3 people at once and walk away with a shred of life - and of course your dignity.

Break the mold and go warhammer - it was a hard decision for me but I chose axe because it was cheaper than the rest and allowed me to wear slightly better armor.  The knockdown feature is a blast and I always enjoy using a knobbed mace when I'm running as a peasant.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 07:24:09 pm by 1slander »
Float like a butterfly sting like an axe

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2011, 05:20:54 pm »
I have to throw in for my favorite, the Italian Sword. It looks cool, is relatively cheap and has decent stats:

weight 1.25
requirement 9
spd rtng 99
weapon length 98
swing damage 30, cut
thrust damage 26 pierce

It's a good middle-of-the-road sword. It's not great at anything, but pretty good at everything.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login