Author Topic: let me do the NA map rotation  (Read 3898 times)

Offline a_bear_irl

• Duke
  • Renown: 540
  • Infamy: 252
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
let me do the NA map rotation
« on: April 19, 2012, 01:14:20 am »
+10
please, it makes no sense for an EU guy to do our map rotation and i could weed out most of the maps nobody likes in 2 hours

edit: here is a spreadsheet, awful maps should be removed immediately, bad maps replaced asap, "not that bad" maps be edited if possible

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AmGD5dTJi5dCdE5FU2dON2JZbGZ6WFRYb2gycFpXWkE&output=html
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 04:39:53 am by a_bear_irl »
FREE ALLERS

Offline Mustikki

• Count
  • Renown: 272
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
Re: let me do the NA map rotation
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 01:16:34 am »
+2
Sure, go ahead. Post your suggestions.  :D

Offline a_bear_irl

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 01:17:32 am »
if you'd let me do it, i would go through all the maps currently in the rotation (on a mirrored server or something) with some other people and mark them [shit] or [not shit], shit ones get removed and replaced with something else
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 01:19:28 am by a_bear_irl »
FREE ALLERS

Offline Mustikki

• Count
  • cRPG Player
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 01:19:49 am »
Map rotation for official servers

Maps with # mark are not loaded, but in list only.

Offline a_bear_irl

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 01:22:15 am »
is that the best trolling you can do? you know there's no point to looking at a large list of maps, i couldn't tell you the name of any map off the top of my head except for maybe arena
FREE ALLERS

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 01:23:30 am »
is that the best trolling you can do?
Oh Bear, you so silly...
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Mustikki

• Count
  • cRPG Player
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 01:28:25 am »
+1
Scroll through Scene sub-forum, Nexus, MBRepository & individual threads and where ever you can find maps, pics of them or links to them. Thats the tools we got here.
Oh and you should try the maps either on your warband copy or someones server to see if the map is worth of something (i do check them on my warband copy).

ps. Do you know how to test/load map on your warband copy?

pps. forgot this site: Calradia's Maps Explorer
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 01:32:11 am by Mustikki »

Offline KaMiKaZe_JoE

• Marshall
  • Renown: 904
  • Infamy: 117
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Cavalieres
  • Game nicks: KaMiKaZe _______
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 01:38:02 am »
BEAR, GIVE ME CAV MAPS. RANDOM PLAINS PLEASE.
"I don't think I'd want to meet anyone from cRPG. Sorry no offense lol" -TG

Offline Mustikki

• Count
  • cRPG Player
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 01:44:37 am »
+1
BEAR, GIVE ME CAV MAPS. RANDOM PLAINS PLEASE.

You can do your own map rotation suggestion too.
Nothing is set to yet and its not 100% sure we add these suggestions, but its sure we listen to you and if they doesn't totally suck we can give them a try. :)
And let people to choose! :D

There is some restrictions though on official servers:
battle maps:
(click to show/hide)

and on siege maps:
(click to show/hide)

and for Rageball:
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 01:58:01 am by Mustikki »

Offline obitus

• Earl
  • Renown: 486
  • Infamy: 58
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeAOv_H-hh0&hd=1
  • Faction: kings of kd
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 02:37:54 am »
+9
is that the best trolling you can do? you know there's no point to looking at a large list of maps, i couldn't tell you the name of any map off the top of my head except for maybe arena

what a noob.  i know the name of every map in rotation, and who makes most of them.

mark them [shit] or [not shit], shit ones get removed and replaced with something else

I WILL, AND HENCEFORTH I WILL REVIEW EVERY MAP:

set_map ruined_castle [NOT SHIT]
Big pit in the middle, ruins / grassland theme.  Plays well.

add_map heathland [NOT SHIT]
Dead trees and boulders on a flat playfield.  One fortress on a flank in the midground.  Gameplay is okay.

#add_map native_nord_town [SHIT]
Native viking town map.  Corridors very narrow for huge playercounts.  Every flank route gets completely filled, so not much strategy.  Archer roosts are still irritatingly easy to hold even with the new ladders added.

add_map glacier_valley[SHIT]
Shitty performance, will be fixed in update

add_map attack_on_a_caravan [NOT SHIT]
One team spawns on a big rolling hill, the other spawns in a fortress-type area (the caravan) with spikes and a campable boulder.  There is a single bridge where most action takes place.  Asymmetric, decent gameplay.

add_map village_94c [NOT SHIT]
Native desert village map, one of the best ones.  Good gameplay.

add_map winter_invasion [NOT SHIT]
Snow town, much better than Native_Snowy_Village.  Good gameplay.

add_map iron_mine [SHIT]
Infamous cave map.  Tons of concealed narrow corridors.  Map actually plays okay when teams stay around the perimeter of the cave.  I don't hate it like a lot of folks; there are much worse maps.  Still, it draws many groans when it loads.

add_map villageoasis [NOT SHIT]
Desert town with big circular wall and four entrances.  There is a small pond in the middle with one campable roof and two ladders.  This map plays okay.  Good balance, although I'd like more entrances to the town.

add_map upon_the_rocks [NOT SHIT]
Asymmetric beach map.  One team spawns in ocean, the other on flat ground.  The ground is very uneven which can sometimes be annoying.  I'd love it if the author liberally applied the smooth tool to most of this map.

add_map nord_village [NOT SHIT]
Large grassland village map.  One team spawns by an enormous vineyard, the other spawns on a non-descript road with stone wall.  There's a little sacrificial druid altar that no one ever fights by.  I personally am not a fan of this map (sorry Mustikki!) but it plays okay.  Huge map with lots of obstacles and terrain z-axis.

add_map native_field_by_the_river [NOT SHIT]
Large asymmetric native map.  One of the few Native maps with good strategic gameplay!  I'm a fan of this one.

add_map native_farm_by_ruins[SHIT]
One entire team spawns on top of a rock.  The other team spawns in a fortress.  Bad asymmetry.  Otherwise uninspiring ruins map with too much terrain z-axis.

add_map battle_in_swadia[NOT SHIT]
Beautiful map.  Draws groans from performance issues and cavalry-unfriendly narrow routes, but I really like it a lot.  Rounds are fast, good flow.

add_map river_village[NOT SHIT]
A campable wooden tower with doors in the middle makes this village map unique.  I like it, good terrain and concealed flanks, balanced.

add_map village_65c[NOT SHIT]
Native desert village map with very shallow river and one small bridge in the middle.  I love this map, one of my favorite native villages.

add_map bandit_hideout[SHIT]
Very small map.  Decently flat with a river and bridge, and ruins in the river.  On the side flank there is a small fort area.  My complaint - I really dislike the proximity of the map borders to action areas.  Dozens of players and cavalry unwittingly hit this stupid invisible wall every game.  At least rounds are short, which is always a good thing in my opinion.

add_map dune[NOT SHIT]
Actually really cool gameplay on this one due to the rolling sand dunes.  Visibility is limited and flanking is very easy due to the concealment of the small valleys.  Flanking is possible almost everywhere yet no camp zones.

add_map commercial_city [NOT SHIT]
Cavalry-friendly city map with main area and one side flank.  May be a bit too small for huge playercounts.  Fast rounds, no high campgrounds, no dead ends.

add_map peipus_lake [NOT SHIT]
Iced over lake with bloody pools of corpses.  Cool map, two side forts, good balance.  I like it a lot better than Native_Battle_On_Ice which is asymmetric and contains random invisible walls and campable hills for only one team.

add_map agania [NOT SHIT]
A cool nondescript grassy village map on big, very flat plains.  Both teams spawn on roads far away from the village center.  Decently balanced.

add_map waning_cold [SHIT]
Huge snow map with half of its terrain submerged in shallow water.  Not a big fan :( obstacles/village houses are few and far between, and the amount of water slows down foot troops a lot.  Rounds are long.

add_map forest_lake [SHIT]
Large super-deep super-large lake.  Very few obstacles, lots of huge z-axis changes.  Teams end up running around the lake searching for each other.  Rounds are long.

add_map horrors_of_battlefield [SHIT]
Sorry Mustikki!  I like Heathland much better than this map.  Draws groans due to uneven terrain and DirectX7 texture issues.

add_map battle_trouble_in_the_neighbourhood [NOT SHIT]
Cool city map.  I would remove the sewers though, as they serve no purpose but to extend rounds by being a big camp area with slow movement and narrow corridors.

add_map native_snowy_village[SHIT]
I really dislike this map.  One team spawns by the infamous XP barn, and the other spawns on completely undescript mountainside.  Too many mountains.  Too many invisible borders by play areas.  Not enough cover.  Asymmetry in that one team can camp in the adjacent barn and the other cant.  I really dislike it.

add_map tropical[NOT SHIT]
Needs better performance and MOTF flag placement.

add_map native_village[SHIT]
Hate!  Hate hate hate this map.  One team spawns in an adobe fortress town full of dead-ends and campspots.  The other team spawns outside on flat, rapable grounds.  Entrances to the fortress are VERY sparse.   The team spawning inside definitely wins more often.  Always ends up with major camping and long, drawn-out rounds.  Both teams should spawn outside imo at the very least, but I'd not be sad at all if this one was axed.

add_map native_ruins[NOT SHIT]
Great gameplay, everyone seems to love this map.  Balanced, good concealed flanks, good amount of rolling terrain and flats.  I like it a lot.

add_map the_canals_of_our_city[SHIT]
Beautiful, beautiful map with flawed gameplay.  This map must be salvaged, it is too beautiful to not host.  Similar to Nord_Village_Native, every route is completely filled with players with any moderate playercount.  Rounds last ages, and the culprits are deadends, super narrow corridors, and high campable areas. I would love to see more routes added all over; bridges and ramps added liberally to promote flow and alleviate dead-ends.

add_map native_random_plain_medium[SHIT]
Randomly generated maps can be really bad at their worst, and bland at their best.  Not a fan, but I'd much rather random_plain than THE HORRID random_steppe, which always makes enormous shitty mountains.

add_map snowy_hamlet[NOT SHIT]
Snowy village map.  One team spawns by a river, the other on a hilltop in the village by a roasting pig.  A campable barn is in the far flank of this map.  Small, not much space to maneuver around in.  Not my favorite map, but not horrible.

add_map wolves_cave[NOT SHIT]
Again, not my favorite map, but not horrible.  Small, asymmetric.  One team spawns on a small island with huts and a church with a windmill blade on it (lol), the other spawns by a beautiful bridge that leads to an invisible wall.  Bad cavalry map, not enough flanks.

add_map citadel_ruins [NOT SHIT]
Big ruins map with lots of ruins and areas to fight in.  Campable areas are a bit heavy in the middle, but it plays well enough.

add_map domremy[SHIT]
One team spawns on the highest hill in the map, and the other spawns down by a bay.  Pretty asymmetric spawns.  There's a flaming tower in the middle with some various ruins and flats.  Very non-descript gameplay.

add_map field_battle[NOT SHIT]
Beautiful map with great gameplay!  An excellent mix of obstacles, bushes, slight z-axis variation, gives flank ability and cover without camp areas.  Balanced.  Love it.

add_map maaseutu_1[NOT SHIT]
Forest map with rolling hills and few ruins in the middle.  I would rather play this map than random_plains.  Every time.

add_map mountain_warfare[SHIT]
Possibly the hated map in all of crpg.  HUGE distances and only two narrow bridge routes for teams to utilize.  Spawns are better, but still asymmetric with one team reaching the tallest bridge before the other.  Basically no flank ability.  Rounds last the entire round length every time.

add_map battle_of_the_mounds[NOT SHIT]
Cool unique map.  Lots of pillars arranged in a grid.  Love this map.  Balanced, everyone seems to love it.

Not listed but in rotation:
Tumulus[NOT SHIT]
Again, I'd rather play this over random_steppe every single time.  Cool map.

Pitfalls[NOT SHIT]
Apparently not good gameplay on EU server due to lack of cavalry :( but on NA it is a hoot.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 04:20:15 am by obitus »

Offline bravesquirrel

• Knight
  • Renown: 50
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: -[420]-
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 03:18:15 am »

I WILL, AND HENCEFORTH I WILL REVIEW EVERY MAP:

Knows the maps off the top of his head and obviously knows what makes them good and bad since he makes the best maps.

I think we have a winner.

Offline Dexxtaa

• King
  • Renown: 1268
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Remnant_Dexxtaa
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2012, 03:21:40 am »
+2
Impressive, but damn. Someone spends a fair amount of time on the servers xD
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline obitus

• Earl
  • Renown: 486
  • Infamy: 58
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeAOv_H-hh0&hd=1
  • Faction: kings of kd
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2012, 03:46:35 am »
+5
i (excavation_pls) dont play that often compared to others but i do have a mapper's eye and good memory!

Offline isatis

• Duke
  • Renown: 624
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
  • ink+water showing their true potential!
    • View Profile
    • le Clan des Cochons!
  • Faction: Le clan des Cochons!!
  • Game nicks: Cochon_Furtif_Isatis
  • IRC nick: Isatis
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2012, 04:15:05 am »
 :shock:

be my hero!

you got one fan now!!!

let's be friend !
So the new response to ranged ragers is not "get a shield", it is "learn to chamber ranged nub!"
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline a_bear_irl

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2012, 04:28:00 am »
+3
yeah i did a spreadsheet, maps reviewed either awful, bad, not that bad, ok, good, some maps weren't in the scene editor list and i'm pretty sure there were some that are in the rotation that weren't on the list but here it is

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AmGD5dTJi5dCdE5FU2dON2JZbGZ6WFRYb2gycFpXWkE&output=html
FREE ALLERS