Author Topic: let me do the NA map rotation  (Read 3891 times)

Offline EyeBeat

• Earl
  • Renown: 432
  • Infamy: 175
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 20th BEST PLAYER IN HOSPITALLER
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hospitaller
  • Game nicks: EyeBeat_The_Wanderer
  • IRC nick: EyeBeat
Re: let me do the NA map rotation
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2012, 01:40:27 pm »
don't let map creators be in charge of the rotation, they force their shit maps on us and call anyone who politely asks them to be removed trolls so we all get to enjoy 10 FPS chokepoint slogfests that make me quit warband everytime they get on

liberate na_1  a_bear_irl for map rotation dictator 2day

Get a job and buy a new computer.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Being a smallish community doesn't entitle you to act more like a dick than other communities.

Offline Jacko

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 839
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fffnanguard!
  • Game nicks: Jacko
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2012, 01:52:40 pm »
+3
The regular vocal minority, trying to force their opinions, once again. The goons out in force, eh? I don't care if my map is removed a_bearl_irl, that has never been the issue (and no, it's not a big deal). I even told Smooth, on IRC a couple of weeks ago, when he first 'politely asked' for it's removal, to provide me a list with maps unfit for the NA server. I'm still waiting.

Now, you (bear) have made a list here, which is a great improvement over just crying why your will is not done (read: smooth), and while we won't necessarily agree with you on which maps are good or not, we'll certainly take a look and tweak the current rotation. In case people have missed it, we usually tweak/add/remove maps every few weeks or so. Live testing, if you so will (this is sometimes done more often, of course, but it's good to let new maps be played in before making any judgment).
Monkeys!

Offline engurrand

• Psychopath
  • Earl
  • Renown: 359
  • Infamy: 101
  • cRPG Player
  • Trifecta
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Kingdom of Veluca
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2012, 02:12:50 pm »
is that the best trolling you can do? you know there's no point to looking at a large list of maps, i couldn't tell you the name of any map off the top of my head except for maybe arena

that is not a long list..

Get those 2 hours to work man.

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2012, 02:36:18 pm »
that is not a long list..

Get those 2 hours to work man.

he already did..it's been updated in the OP
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline Mustikki

• Count
  • Renown: 272
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2012, 03:00:15 pm »
Can someone find me a screenshot of Farm by Ruins, its a native map and I have no clue which one it is, which is very strange.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2012, 03:16:57 pm »
Thank you, never knew that was a native map. Title is misleading, that farm is way too small for it to be included in the title.

Offline Jacko

• OKAM Developer
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2012, 04:48:42 pm »
Yeah.. It's actually named something else, like quick scene x, but I renamed it to fit with the rest of the maps.
Monkeys!

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2012, 04:55:08 pm »
I don't like the fact that you have random plains marked as awful...

In the 1300's when armies sallied into the country side and fought each other, they did so in open world terrain.  They weren't always fighting next to buildings or man made structures. 

We're playing on the battle server, some of the maps should be open world geographic maps where you need to rely on teammates and terrain to be successful.  You shouldn't always be able to hide behind a wall or building and try to rambo 1v100. 

I don't complain about the "city" and enclosed maps where cavalry is basically pointless (maps that by all measurements should be SIEGE maps, not battle maps), and the fact that less than half the maps are "open" maps, we should still have these in the rotation.

Otherwise I have no problem with your suggestion that someone who plays on the NA1 maps, should be responsible for taking out shitty maps, and adding new ones to the rotation.
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Teeth

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2012, 05:13:23 pm »
+2
Open maps are awesome, best tactics and most epic charges I have seen always happened on the random plains maps. Because of the complete lack of cover, people are inclined to form shieldwalls or bring siegeshields. Open maps give you that warband vs warband feel. Back in 2010, when staying with the zerg horde was vital these open maps caused enormous shieldwalls, skirmishes and cavalry aswell as infantry charges.

As soon as you get a bit of sticking together going, these maps turn from cav maps to infantry maps, cause all the cav is too impatient and charges the enemy infantry before they clash with the other group of infantry.

Sadly, it takes time for the pub to realize going solo isn't going to work, and with 1 open plains map in every 15 maps they will have forgotten the need to stick together when the next one comes. Especially with fewer rounds per map, they just can't show their true potential. The game has become extremely individualistic, and the focus towards close combat maps hasn't helped. Therefore I am a strong advocate of adding more open maps, preferably community made, cause the random plains look so, well, plain.

Offline Chasey

• Tournament Champion
  • Duke
  • Renown: 567
  • Infamy: 103
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Chase
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2012, 05:17:27 pm »
+3
I love the flat random plain maps, but 80% of the time it is very hilly and just becomes a camp fest until 1 team gets bored and pushes. The maps where both teams can see each other from spawn to spawn and do epic charges on flat land, were the most fun for me.
I like to fart on cold windows and lick the condensation :D

Offline Teeth

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2012, 05:20:49 pm »
+2
I love the flat random plain maps, but 80% of the time it is very hilly and just becomes a camp fest until 1 team gets bored and pushes. The maps where both teams can see each other from spawn to spawn and do epic charges on flat land, were the most fun for me.
Yeah exactly, thats why we need the community to make some cool open maps, like Mustikki's Maaseutu 1 and 2, those are sweet. As soon as I find time and courage to make a map again I'll do something along those lines.

Offline Jacko

• OKAM Developer
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2012, 06:39:02 pm »
+1
I'm all for open custom maps. Then maybe finally we can get rid of some of these ruin maps.
Monkeys!

Offline KaMiKaZe_JoE

• Marshall
  • Renown: 904
  • Infamy: 117
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Cavalieres
  • Game nicks: KaMiKaZe _______
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2012, 07:10:35 pm »
10 FPS chokepoint slogfests

I must note that I agree with whatshisname on this. I fucking hate cs-esque maps that utilize the ugliest, most fps rapeish textures and shit. I fucking hate trees--they eat up mine fps. And no, I'm not going to save up for a "nice" computer when that money could be spent on either 1) shitty American tuition or 2) alcohol.

edit: oh, and open plains maps are the fucking best. They suck when teams start camping hills, but just a big flat fucking map with some fucking grass would be nice.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 07:11:55 pm by KaMiKaZe_JoE »
"I don't think I'd want to meet anyone from cRPG. Sorry no offense lol" -TG

Offline Lichen

• Count
  • Renown: 184
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2012, 07:17:42 pm »
yeah i did a spreadsheet, maps reviewed either awful, bad, not that bad, ok, good,
well that's your opinion since some of the maps deemed 'awful' I actually like. Of course any different or unusual map is usually shit on by players. Let's all play the same boring maps for eternity, right?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 07:18:43 pm by Lichen »

Offline a_bear_irl

• Duke
  • Renown: 540
  • Infamy: 252
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2012, 08:59:53 pm »
open plains always sucks,teams shieldwalling on opposite hills while cav picks off the impatient and ranged gets anyone without a shield is not fun
FREE ALLERS