Author Topic: Tips for 1 handed/shield fighting?  (Read 16191 times)

Offline RiPLeY_II

• Knight
  • Renown: 48
  • Infamy: 31
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SHoDaN_THe_SHieLDBReaKeR, RiPLeY_THe_TaLeNTeD
Re: Tips for 1 handed/shield fighting?
« Reply #120 on: April 25, 2012, 08:24:40 am »
Looks good.

Whats more valuable since I split 1 hand and pole, 1 stat will need to be 5 instead of 6....should it be IF, WM or shield that I leave at 5? I was thinking if I'm split then maybe WM would be more valuable than 2 hp from ironflesh.

This is my final build, I think I will finish up 18/18:

(click to show/hide)

It looks ok to me. You don't need more wpf in polearm, as you'll end up using it only in 1h-mode (hoplite) vs. cavalry to stop them, which is its main use for a shielder. You could even live with less wpf in polearm (80-90).

That's a pretty good build for a 1h starter.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 08:25:50 am by RiPLeY_II »

Offline LordSnow

• Knight
  • Renown: 57
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Saracens
  • Game nicks: Snow
« Reply #121 on: April 25, 2012, 10:08:25 am »
It's THE best build for 1h at all if you stay lvl 30. Go for 18/21 or 21/18 at lvl 32/33 and you'll be op.
Damn. It's snowing again.

Offline kinngrimm

• King
  • Renown: 1026
  • Infamy: 320
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • The Betrayer of Nations
  • Faction: Wolves of Fenris
  • Game nicks: kinngrimm, Karma
  • IRC nick: kinngrimm
« Reply #122 on: April 25, 2012, 12:27:19 pm »
Some good advice in this thread.

Tip for fighting tincans with a 1h sword: try overheads. It's harder to hit, but doesn't glance as much as the side swings. Also: try holding it a bit for extra power... if the situation allows.
before the armor soaking values had been changed i would have gone only with stab/thrust attack, not sure if they are still the best option against tincans though.

additional dmg can be done not only by holding an attack but also by moving into a strike. Move from left to right for the left strike , from right to left for the right strike, forwards for stab/thrust attack and jump in combination with overheads where you release the overhead so that it hits in the falling sequence.

Other skills you wanna learn.
- basic blocking(without movement first, later with movement then afterwards include feinting)
- feint attack tab - block tab - attack tab - block tab ... that also combined with left/right/upper/thrust attacks
- kickslashes
- jump stab against horses
- target switching against more enemies
- pan/armor/360° view in combination with zoom
- patience
learn from the past, live the moment, dream of the future

Offline Zanze

• Earl
  • Renown: 366
  • Infamy: 69
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
  • Game nicks: Raven_Zan
« Reply #123 on: April 26, 2012, 05:52:03 am »
Other skills you wanna learn.
- HEADSHOTS
- basic blocking(without movement first, later with movement then afterwards include feinting)
- feint attack tab - block tab - attack tab - block tab ... that also combined with left/right/upper/thrust attacks
- kickslashes
- jump stab against horses
- target switching against more enemies
- pan/armor/360° view in combination with zoom
- patience

Fixed this for you. The lifeblood of 1h weapon damage is headshots(imo). ESPECIALLY if you use a cutting sword instead of a stabbing one. But headshots, no one suspects that puny 30cut sword will take off 20-40% of their 80 health in a single swing when it pokes their face. Tincan no helmet? One hit kill.

To do this, left to right swing is the easiest. Once you get the feel for where to swing, you'll headshot almost every time. Overheads are a little easier, just angle the downward swipe on the center of their body and it should hit. (Not as reliable as left-right). Right to left feels retarded at times, almost as if your going to miss. Don't recommend it. Thrusts... don't worry about headshotting with them for long. I couldn't do it until I played a piker for a gen.

Offline Alskaer_Alvari

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 26, 2012, 06:53:05 pm »
I´ll add a little question here:

I don´t really understand the values of shields... what does body armor mean? Does this also influence the hitpoints of shields, or is it added to my armor stats?
I have no idea how the hitboxes in this game work, are height/width important?
What kind of shields are most practical for a 1h infantryman?

Thanks

Offline ZEE_BISHOP

• Knight
  • Renown: 38
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 26, 2012, 08:01:23 pm »
+1
I´ll add a little question here:

I don´t really understand the values of shields... what does body armor mean? Does this also influence the hitpoints of shields, or is it added to my armor stats?
I have no idea how the hitboxes in this game work, are height/width important?
What kind of shields are most practical for a 1h infantryman?

Thanks

The armour value has nothing to do with the armour you wear, but it works in a similar concept. It reduces the damage that your shield takes, especially from cutting weapons (except axes of course) and also makes it possible for weapons to glance. If you're facing a bunch of 1H sword users and your have a plate covered round shield, you're laughing in terms of it not breaking this century. But when is that ever the case?

Hitpoints is straight up what the shield can take damage wise, so things like heavy kyte shields and the huscarl shield which can soak up a bunch of ammo.

Speed is the time it takes for your shield to actually block, despite what the animation shows, anything below 100 speed is not blocking you as soon as you press the block button.

Weight is pretty obvious, weight in your hand slows your movement speed a lot and also slows your weapon swing. The flip side is a heavier shield is supposed to have a bigger chance of blocking things like Great mauls. Although, in practice if someone's charging at you with a great maul, it's loomed and he has a build tailored for it -- You'd better not be trying to shield block the mans overheads unless you want a headache.

With weight, think about your armour weight too. Any total weight over 7.5 and you start reducing your WPF by 1 per 1 weight over. Body armour counts as 1x weight, legs as 1x weight, hand as 2x weight and head as 3x weight. If your weapon proficiency gets below 100 WPF after those calculations, then your weapon is not performing as the stats say it should.

Coverage is important too, if a shield isn't covering you, it won't block for you -- Your magic forcefield depending on your shield skill is not infinite. So shields with poor width will allow spamming 2H sworders to spin around you flailing like retards and they might get free hits around the side of your shield. Likewise you could get shot in the foot / head if you have a short shield

So it's entirely down to your play style, want to be a tank? Facing a lot of sword users? Want to be speedy to dart in and out of combat? Got a weapon where you want to get in close and just tap block to know you are blocked?

Consider how much armour you wear and what weapon you intend to use too. Also, how much shield skill you have as that means shields last longer, increase speed and have larger coverage, how much WPF do you have? That can mean you'll be okay with a bigger shield as you can still swing fast. How about athletics and agility too? Then you'll be able to move fast with heavier shields or maybe move super fast with a light shield.

Elite cav shield's a good shield IMO, it also won't break the bank. Depending on your shielding skill it won't snap like a twig when someone looks at it, it isn't crazy heavy, has okay armour, decent coverage and it's 100 speed so it blocks when you tell it to -- You can also use it on horseback and it looks "nice" in my opinion anyway. That being said, it's a bit of a jack of all trades, which in itself is a flaw as it's not "awesome" at any one thing.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 08:38:41 pm by ZEE_BISHOP »

Offline JennaHaze

• Count
  • Renown: 267
  • Infamy: 147
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: 2Bach
« Reply #126 on: April 26, 2012, 08:12:36 pm »
Take a niuweidao and a round steel buckler wear light armors and use 15-24 build.

Offline Alskaer_Alvari

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 26, 2012, 08:22:47 pm »

Great answer, thanks!  :) Made things MUCH clearer.

And yeah, round shield buckler... was just considering buying that one...  :o But I think it´s too expensive for now. Until when is an armor considered "light"?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 08:26:34 pm by Alskaer_Alvari »

Offline ZEE_BISHOP

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 26, 2012, 08:28:08 pm »

Great answer, thanks!  :) Made things MUCH clearer.

And yeah, round shield buckler... was just considering buying that one...  :o But I think it´s too expensive for now. Until when is an armor considered "light"?

Anything that adds up to below 7.5 weight, I edited my post above to say about WPF and weight stuff: "Any total weight over 7.5 and you start reducing your WPF by 1 per 1 weight over. Body armour counts as 1x weight, legs as 1x weight, hand as 2x weight and head as 3x weight. If your weapon proficiency gets below 100 WPF after those calculations, then your weapon is not performing as the stats say it should. "

Offline Alskaer_Alvari

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 26, 2012, 08:34:10 pm »

I´m not sure I follow, right now I have:
Nordic Helmet 1.2
Peltastos Armor 6.6
Leather G. 0.1
Rus Cav Boots 0.8 (but they don´t count?)

So I have (3*1.2=)3.6 + 6.6 + (2*0.1=)0.2 = 10.4 weigt, which reduces my wpf by 3 points... correct?

Offline ZEE_BISHOP

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 26, 2012, 08:42:17 pm »
I´m not sure I follow, right now I have:
Nordic Helmet 1.2
Peltastos Armor 6.6
Leather G. 0.1
Rus Cav Boots 0.8 (but they don´t count?)

So I have (3*1.2=)3.6 + 6.6 + (2*0.1=)0.2 = 10.4 weigt, which reduces my wpf by 3 points... correct?

the boots do count, so 11.2 which means your WPF is reduced by 4%, you're wearing pretty light gear as it is. "light" armour is all the tunics, padded armour, leather etc. "Medium" armour is generally the chain mail stuff and the "heavy" armour is all your top end chain mails / plate armours.

This thread is worth looking at though as it will explain it a lot better than I could! :)

http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,23607.0.html
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 08:46:33 pm by ZEE_BISHOP »

Offline Alskaer_Alvari

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 26, 2012, 08:46:49 pm »
Ok good to know. Though I think I want at least medium armor eventually. It´s no fun to die by 2 hits at best. I only use the gear I use because I don´t have much cash  :mrgreen:
And yeah, I´ll read through that thread for sure. Thanks for the help

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
  • Renown: 648
  • Infamy: 212
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
« Reply #132 on: April 26, 2012, 08:54:18 pm »
For an infantryman, shields that are not usable on horseback are generally good deals.

Offline ZEE_BISHOP

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 26, 2012, 08:57:24 pm »
Ok good to know. Though I think I want at least medium armor eventually. It´s no fun to die by 2 hits at best. I only use the gear I use because I don´t have much cash  :mrgreen:
And yeah, I´ll read through that thread for sure. Thanks for the help

NP, good luck as a shielder.

RE: the extra armour, it's a double edged sword. Some people are of the opinion that your shield should be your armour and you should wear paper around. I guess it depends on your play style, but if you intend to dodge and weave in groups of people, you're going to take a couple of hits here and there and the light gear doesn't cut it. That being said, you can't afford to bring a heavy shield and super heavy armour if you expect to chase down AGI whores or not get super spammed by people with high WPF.  :P

I hope you have at least 18 AGI / 6 ATH / 6 WM and 6/7 PS though or you're setting yourself up for a world of hurt and whining.

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #134 on: April 26, 2012, 11:31:02 pm »
I think you only need a good helmet.

You can wear mediocre body and still take a good 3 hits if you have 6-8 ironflesh, while having good head armor prevents all that bonus to head damage that may 1shot you.