Author Topic: Tips for 1 handed/shield fighting?  (Read 16422 times)

Offline Shatter

• Knight
  • Renown: 59
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Shatter_Astralis
Re: Tips for 1 handed/shield fighting?
« Reply #90 on: April 21, 2012, 02:52:17 am »
why bother with polearms as a shielder? throwing weapons basically accomplish the same thing (anti-cav), plus you can use them against infantry as well.

ranged > crappy spears
Well, throwing is better anti-cav but you can use polearms to support in melee fights against infantry. I don't think throwing on a shielder is very strong against other non-archer infantry unless there are a few other shielder throwers with him like how you NH guys roll around and throw axes in mass. A lone shielder with throwing axes is almost ignorable.

It's probably better for him to just pick a build whether its pure 1h/with throwing/with polearms and just play it through for a gen. When he finishes it, he will have a better idea of what build he should go for his next build according to his preferences.

Offline Zanze

• Earl
  • Renown: 366
  • Infamy: 69
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
  • Game nicks: Raven_Zan
« Reply #91 on: April 21, 2012, 02:53:04 am »
You have a shield, why do you need armor?

Many times I've charged into a group of 6+ with my pal Blackwhite. He wears heavy armor all the time, I wear crappy mail. More often than not(when we walk out alive...), I walk out alive and he does not. Difference? I have a big piece of mahogany between myself and the enemy.

Offline callahan9119

• Baron
  • Renown: 106
  • Infamy: 50
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Callahan9119
« Reply #92 on: April 21, 2012, 03:09:42 am »
why bother with polearms as a shielder? throwing weapons basically accomplish the same thing (anti-cav), plus you can use them against infantry as well.

ranged > crappy spears

Throwing was screwing up my mindset, I never knew what I should be doing...hanging back trying to throw or going up and fighting. Since I've dropped throwing I am doing better having only to focus on one thing. When I am better I'll go back to that, as I like it in theory...I was just poor at putting it into practice.

When I say heavy armor, I mean Sipahi Yawshan or something with 18.5 weight MAX. I am wearing a studded leather coat atm.

I don't think throwing on a shielder is very strong against other non-archer infantry unless there are a few other shielder throwers with him like how you NH guys roll around and throw axes in mass. A lone shielder with throwing axes is almost ignorable.

That pretty much sums it up. At least my experience. It's awesome when I stick an axe in someones head, but it's not worth devoting 4 skill points and tactical decision making to...at least when I'm not very good. I'm by myself, it is just too difficult.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 03:13:43 am by callahan9119 »
Hello

Offline Shatter

• Knight
  • Renown: 59
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Shatter_Astralis
« Reply #93 on: April 21, 2012, 03:12:44 am »
Throwing was screwing up my mindset, I never knew what I should be doing...hanging back trying to throw or going up and fighting. Since I've dropped throwing I am doing better having only to focus on one thing. When I am better I'll go back to that, as I like it in theory...I was just poor at putting it into practice.

When I say heavy armor, I mean Sipahi Yawshan or something with 18.5 weight MAX. I am wearing a studded leather coat atm.
You can try out both armors and see which one you prefer. For me, the Sipahi Yawshan would be too heavy as a shielder. But maybe you will like it over a lighter armor. When you hit 30, try one day with one armor, and another day with the other armor.

Offline callahan9119

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 21, 2012, 03:21:08 am »
Well, I lost the throwing axes which were 8 pounds combined. I figured that would allow me to use some heavier armor.
Hello

Offline BlindGuy

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 583
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • De oppresso liber et plus ultra.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 21, 2012, 04:55:52 am »
Well, tbh, if you can stand how ugly it is, studded leather is one of the best armour to weight gears around. Will save you from most 1hits, and is still light enough that you can chase down pesky archers. combine with a mail coif and it is a good look imo.
I don't know enough

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Mlekce

• Earl
  • Renown: 454
  • Infamy: 367
  • cRPG Player
  • Remove kebab
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard, ex Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Mlekce, Sergius
  • IRC nick: Mlekce
« Reply #96 on: April 23, 2012, 09:42:32 pm »
nordic champion sword is it worth looming?

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
  • Renown: 648
  • Infamy: 212
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
« Reply #97 on: April 23, 2012, 10:08:27 pm »
Nordic champ is solid balance of speed, range and slashing damage (35 for masterwork). it will hit pretty hard with 7 or 8 powerstrike.

Make sure you are VERY comfortable with a weapon before you start looming it tho to save yourself some trouble.

If you are unsure, you can always sell the loompoint for 600k gold, and then later go to market to buy something you know you want to keep (and usually at 350-450k per level, so you pocket the change).

Offline callahan9119

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 23, 2012, 10:12:50 pm »
Why is the elite scimitar supposedly so good? I used it and liked it, but it wasn't super awesome or anything. Maybe I'm not good enough to notice or exploit whatever advantages it has.
Hello

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 23, 2012, 10:18:32 pm »
I have tested elite scimitar. Didn't like it much. Where'd you get that it is supposedly good? It doesn't have a stab, which is a big disadvantage for a sword in my opinion.
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline Mlekce

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
  • Remove kebab
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 23, 2012, 10:20:35 pm »
Nordic champ is solid balance of speed, range and slashing damage (35 for masterwork). it will hit pretty hard with 7 or 8 powerstrike.

Make sure you are VERY comfortable with a weapon before you start looming it tho to save yourself some trouble.

If you are unsure, you can always sell the loompoint for 600k gold, and then later go to market to buy something you know you want to keep (and usually at 350-450k per level, so you pocket the change).

Dunno mate i bought it cheap from market and now i have +1 destrier and +1 champ so i don't know what to loom. I would like to try again 1h with proper build (21/15) so i beleve it should be ok. I beleve even if i don't like it i would be able to trade it for lance cuz i am cav,not footman.

Offline Mlekce

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
  • Remove kebab
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 23, 2012, 10:22:19 pm »
Scimitars are bad i had them bouth masterworked and it glanced a lot. It is great to kill archers and low armor dudes,but if you try to attack plate user u are fucked. I don't think that scimitar is footman sword i think it is cav sword.

Offline callahan9119

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 23, 2012, 10:39:06 pm »
Someone said it and the pick were overpowered cheese weapons.
Hello

Offline Mlekce

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
  • Remove kebab
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 23, 2012, 11:02:16 pm »
warhammer is mega awsome weapon. It is short and slower but it hits like a train,

Offline callahan9119

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 23, 2012, 11:11:23 pm »
Never tried that one, I'm looking for a good pair with my pole, I spec both 1 handed and pole.
Hello