Author Topic: Tips for 1 handed/shield fighting?  (Read 16426 times)

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
  • Renown: 648
  • Infamy: 212
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
Re: Tips for 1 handed/shield fighting?
« Reply #105 on: April 24, 2012, 12:08:28 am »
+1
people call scimi and pick cheap because you can spam them. Curved weapons used to have a glitchy hitbox that helped so they have that rep, but I think it's been fixed up. People dislike steel pick because it's fast, and hurts a lot, but people who use it really need to know their footwork & timing to do well with such short length (same with warhammer).

Offline callahan9119

• Baron
  • Renown: 106
  • Infamy: 50
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Callahan9119
« Reply #106 on: April 24, 2012, 12:13:06 am »
I see, thanks.
Hello

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 24, 2012, 08:25:00 am »
People doesn't seem to be listening me but you should definetely try italian falchion. So much power for that little thing. 34c hurts a lot, and the length is ok in sieges.
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline Ophelica

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Searching for one!
« Reply #108 on: April 24, 2012, 10:47:03 am »
Hello,
I have a question that the OP might have on his mind; and am having the same troubles as OP, we're in the same boat of "GOING THROUGH THE MOTIONS!"

Just started cRPG myself and I am loving it; but I find my success in-game has DRASTICALLY changed. My ratio is horrid and I feel quite nooby! But it's Magical to say the least and I want to improve!

ANYWAY,
The question is; what would a great balanced shield be for your first GEN? I've seen Rustyspoon, I love his play style and how quick he is! Great Shielder from what I've seen man!

Thanks everyone!
"It is easier to forgive an enemy than to forgive a friend."

William Blake

Offline RiPLeY_II

• Knight
  • Renown: 48
  • Infamy: 31
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SHoDaN_THe_SHieLDBReaKeR, RiPLeY_THe_TaLeNTeD
« Reply #109 on: April 24, 2012, 10:56:41 am »
+2
I see people giving you advice on weapons and builds suitable for veteran shielders, not taking into account who asked for the advice ...

As a veteran shielder myself, with many generations in a row beforer going max level, best advice i can tell a noob shielder is that you  stick with a 18/18 build with 6 ath, 6wm, 6ps,6shield and 5 if, and use a 1h sword that is LONG (nordic champion's sword, knighly arming sword, italian sword), and a durable shield (Huscarl, heavy heather, heavy kite). With short weapons, you'll end up hitting the air many times, as you still don't have the right timing and you'll open your defense, and you still don't have the footwork needed to use them  properly (you'll get it in the future). The build I told you is reasonably quick and reasonably strong and durable for a starter. Don't go hybrid with throwing or anything else, first try to learn one style, then you can try another.

Use a medium armor, something in the 37-43 non-loomed armor stat (not more than 13 kg). It won't punish your movement as much as heavy and gives more than enough protection for a shielder. But buy the good shield and weapon before the armor, they'll be far more useful.

Use it for 2 generations till you get the mechanics, then you can experiment yourself, use another builds or shorter and more powerful weapons, but for now, use the standard build I told you which is the one you'll get more benefits from.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 11:03:20 am by RiPLeY_II »

Offline Ophelica

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Searching for one!
« Reply #110 on: April 24, 2012, 11:32:35 am »
Thanks Ripley!
"It is easier to forgive an enemy than to forgive a friend."

William Blake

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 24, 2012, 11:44:26 am »
use a 1h sword that is LONG (nordic champion's sword, knighly arming sword, italian sword)

Italian is not that long.

Offline RiPLeY_II

• Knight
  • Renown: 48
  • Infamy: 31
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SHoDaN_THe_SHieLDBReaKeR, RiPLeY_THe_TaLeNTeD
« Reply #112 on: April 24, 2012, 12:38:37 pm »
+1
Italian is not that long.

98, it's long for 1h standards (not for 1h swords), being the longest 1h 105. People are talking here of using italian falchion or warhammer (70 and 65), which are obviously short and inadequate for begginers.

Anything beyond 95 should work, i was only telling him some examples of good swords he can use in his first generations to learn the mechanics.

Offline Phazey

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Phaz, Merc_Phazh, Merc_Phazhe, Merc_Phazhey and Merc_Phazey
  • IRC nick: Phazh
« Reply #113 on: April 24, 2012, 02:45:23 pm »
Some good advice in this thread.

Tip for fighting tincans with a 1h sword: try overheads. It's harder to hit, but doesn't glance as much as the side swings. Also: try holding it a bit for extra power... if the situation allows.

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 24, 2012, 05:38:08 pm »
Work combos also. try an overhead, and even if he parries try to get in a fast backhand (left to right) swing. Something about the overhead parry animation is slow so he will have trouble getting a counter. If you land it then try a right swing.

People who aren't top notch blockers have a lot of problems with variable combos like that.

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #115 on: April 24, 2012, 06:45:38 pm »
If you are fighting someone that is aware of you (1v1-type situation), only use left swings and overheads. Right swing is for unaware folks that are on the outside of your reach and as an opener if you are approaching someone with less reach than you; it's just too slow and glance-prone for 1v1. Thrust is glitchy as hell, and its unpredictable hitbox will drive you crazy, but if you can master 1h thrust you will be deadly.

Offline callahan9119

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 24, 2012, 08:43:28 pm »
Thanks Ripley

(click to show/hide)

I'm already specced 60/40 1hand/pole...well not 60/40 yet, but I already have about 70 points in pole and I'm not respeccing. I'm still undecided about 21/15 or 18/18, but hopefully I make the right choice. Thanks again for that and everyone else who has helped me, especially San and Digglez (I just couldn't get good with throwing  :()

If I did go 18/18, which would I get to 18 first, STR or AGI?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 08:54:17 pm by callahan9119 »
Hello

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 24, 2012, 09:06:46 pm »
I would get to 12 AGI first (to use a 4 skill shield and get WPF to a good level), then 18 STR so you can get your hits some beef, then 18 AGI to round it out.

Offline callahan9119

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 24, 2012, 09:21:06 pm »
I would get to 12 AGI first (to use a 4 skill shield and get WPF to a good level), then 18 STR so you can get your hits some beef, then 18 AGI to round it out.

Looks good.

Whats more valuable since I split 1 hand and pole, 1 stat will need to be 5 instead of 6....should it be IF, WM or shield that I leave at 5? I was thinking if I'm split then maybe WM would be more valuable than 2 hp from ironflesh.

This is my final build, I think I will finish up 18/18:

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 11:30:08 pm by callahan9119 »
Hello

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
« Reply #119 on: April 25, 2012, 01:08:40 am »
+1
Looks good.

Whats more valuable since I split 1 hand and pole, 1 stat will need to be 5 instead of 6....should it be IF, WM or shield that I leave at 5? I was thinking if I'm split then maybe WM would be more valuable than 2 hp from ironflesh.

This is my final build, I think I will finish up 18/18:

(click to show/hide)

I agree with going 6 WM and 5 IF. 2 hp isn't a big deal. However, you'd benefit more from 135 in polearm and 101 in 1-hand. Or go even on each. Faster weapons benefit less from WPF than slower weapons.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login