Author Topic: Tips for 1 handed/shield fighting?  (Read 17573 times)

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Tips for 1 handed/shield fighting?
« Reply #75 on: April 19, 2012, 02:34:50 pm »
Kinngrimm your style of playing seems like doing art. That's what I was trying to do at my second gen, but due to a strange build I attempted to make I think I couldn't be as much effective as you. My build was 18/21 6 PS, 7 Ath, 5 shield, 5 weapon master. Not a bad build I say, but I never see any other guy tried the same build. At first I was pissed off at my choice of class, due to the considerably low damage. But after I realized, I have to play a bit more strategically. I did wonders with my non-loomed italian falchion and non-loomed long espada. In crowds, I was able to hold my block and hit at the right moment to kill the enemy. Not to mention, shielder class is the best class to not hit your teammates in a total chaos. Also, high athletics and shield is golden for multicombat something that is one of the most satisfying when you are succesful. Yeah, if pasting a throwing axe to the head of my foe comes first; killing 3 opponents by myself comes second in terms of satisfaction :)

Well, oh... what I was saying? Ahha! If your warband is automatically updated, you may try to play some native multiplayer nowadays perhaps. For me, it is much more stable to learn the game mechanics. In native, everyone is equal and it shows which player is actually the best. In cRPG there are level 35 ninjas with mw katana, mw body armor, mw boots, mw gloves, mw head armor, mw boots and mw snowflakes who are actually nothing but spammers in Nditions duel server. Well, they are not spammer noobs in Nditions but that's what they do in cRPG for sure. So, go to native. It may seem dubious and limited at first, but in my opinion it is better.

Edit: I think there is another piece of advice I can give. Since you are first gen, you have no loomed weapons. Therefore carrying 2-3 different kind of weapons -let's say steel pick, broad axe, espada eslavona- might increase your flexibility. It's going to be a total chaos, pick steel pick and short length will be your avantage; an enemy shielder is coming towards you, grab your axe and tear it's shield to pieces; a lightly armored foe is coming, pick espada eslavona and do some superfast thrust attacks. Considering all of one handed weapons are one slot, and are not heavy; this might not do you harm after all. Also, it is a good way to find out which weapon is better for your liking; therefore which build suits more to your liking.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 03:38:10 pm by Ronin »
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
« Reply #76 on: April 19, 2012, 03:52:13 pm »
Kinngrimm your style of playing seems like doing art. That's what I was trying to do at my second gen, but due to a strange build I attempted to make I think I couldn't be as much effective as you. My build was 18/21 6 PS, 7 Ath, 5 shield, 5 weapon master. Not a bad build I say, but I never see any other guy tried the same build.

My build in 1 level :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline kinngrimm

• King
  • Renown: 1026
  • Infamy: 320
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • The Betrayer of Nations
  • Faction: Wolves of Fenris
  • Game nicks: kinngrimm, Karma
  • IRC nick: kinngrimm
« Reply #77 on: April 19, 2012, 05:12:40 pm »
Kinngrimm your style of playing seems like doing art.
:oops: thank you (flattery definetly works for me  :D)

... But after I realized, I have to play a bit more strategically. I did wonders with my non-loomed italian falchion and non-loomed long espada. In crowds, I was able to hold my block and hit at the right moment to kill the enemy.
yes indeed. Gear and build only carries you a short distance. If you rely only on that you a re dead meat from the start of the round. There are always chances to solve a puzzle which is in motion, we train ourselves to see the patterns when/where/against whom to take action.

Not to mention, shielder class is the best class to not hit your teammates in a total chaos. Also, high athletics and shield is golden for multicombat something that is one of the most satisfying when you are succesful. Yeah, if pasting a throwing axe to the head of my foe comes first; killing 3 opponents by myself comes second in terms of satisfaction :)
i also started as throwing hybrid, now i got my shielder and a 4th gen thrower. Throwing is definetly fun, but killing 2+ Opponents with 1h/shield coems first for myself =)

Well, oh... what I was saying? Ahha! If your warband is automatically updated, you may try to play some native multiplayer nowadays perhaps. For me, it is much more stable to learn the game mechanics. In native, everyone is equal and it shows which player is actually the best. In cRPG there are level 35 ninjas with mw katana, mw body armor, mw boots, mw gloves, mw head armor, mw boots and mw snowflakes who are actually nothing but spammers in Nditions duel server. Well, they are not spammer noobs in Nditions but that's what they do in cRPG for sure. So, go to native. It may seem dubious and limited at first, but in my opinion it is better.
last time in November, was on 140(?) slot filled up server over several maps within top 5, i just don't want to stop grinding xp for too long :) 55million to lvl 35 ^^ damn addiction

Edit: I think there is another piece of advice I can give. Since you are first gen, you have no loomed weapons. Therefore carrying 2-3 different kind of weapons -let's say steel pick, broad axe, espada eslavona- might increase your flexibility. It's going to be a total chaos, pick steel pick and short length will be your avantage; an enemy shielder is coming towards you, grab your axe and tear it's shield to pieces; a lightly armored foe is coming, pick espada eslavona and do some superfast thrust attacks. Considering all of one handed weapons are one slot, and are not heavy; this might not do you harm after all. Also, it is a good way to find out which weapon is better for your liking; therefore which build suits more to your liking.
if you lay out your build, it is most likely also for a specific weapon, if you then have weapons with similar characteristics which give additional advantage yes go for it. I got myself a Broad One Handed Battle Axe,too. I mostly dont use it bcz on cav maps i have a warspear for anticav with me, but on citymaps or in general, maps with lots of close spaces or steep hills where cav cant really navigate i take the luxury to get my axe equiped and my huscarl
learn from the past, live the moment, dream of the future

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #78 on: April 20, 2012, 08:34:33 am »
Also one important thing to note is you don't need to limit yourself to what your character is proficient with.

If you carry a war spear with you, that is sheathable and helps defend you from cavalry if you use it with a shield, even with 1 wpf. I definitely recommend choosing between a sheathable spear or an axe as your secondary weapon. If you're low on cash, even the cheapo axes work brilliantly enough.

Above lvl 30, lvl 32+ shielder build makes it much better since you attain enough agility for shield and movement, yet also achieve the damage output and health that other 1hers are sorely lacking. I think it's entirely viable after looming your weapon, since shield can cover you most of the time anyways vs multiple opponents, and against single opponents the loomed armor won't make much of a difference most of the time.

@kinngrimm
lvl 34 steel pick user here, lvl 34 is much fun , I agree (and op). 79 million to lvl 35 myself... Hybridizing with 1h/shield (131 1h / 95 polearm) offers plenty of variety, since you can protect yourself from ranged while also having extra points to venture to other classes quite nicely; many of the other classes synergize well with 1h.  Instead of throwing, I went with cav for a 24/15 1h/hoplite cav with the regular lance since I've never done melee cav before and was already part polearm.  At lvl 35 I may put a few points into throwing since there is nothing left to put points in. Lance isn't sheathable but it is a great hoplite weapon in my opinion.

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 20, 2012, 11:32:32 am »
My build in 1 level :)
You mean 1st generation I think :D

And kingrimm thanks for your post. I personally got bored to play as a shielder and tried a different class, that I do not like to use short weapons and without a shield, I was much more better with my manual block. But after being tried different builds I see now, playing as a shilder was an unique experience. I definitely did not regret it playing. But it was just not for me methinks.

And san, I do not think if you maxed all of the skills you supposedly have (shield, athletics, power strike, Ironflesh, riding, weapon master) but I would not recommend having 3 power throw skill. With 3 power throw, I do not think it would offer much to you at that level. Additionally, since you will have 2-3 slots filled with your shield+onehand+spear it would leave you with only one slot. Which makes it useless in my opinion. Throwing is a bit luck based compared to other abilities and without much ammo, you may find it very useless. In case you haven't maxed out the skills I listed, you better go max them first. Just saying.
By the way, I tried to guess what kind of build you did go for at the character planner. But I failed. If you'd like to share your build, I am eager to see it :)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 11:34:18 am by Ronin »
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

Offline PanPan

• Baron
  • Renown: 98
  • Infamy: 70
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 20, 2012, 01:59:42 pm »
You mean 1st generation I think :D

And kingrimm thanks for your post. I personally got bored to play as a shielder and tried a different class, that I do not like to use short weapons and without a shield, I was much more better with my manual block. But after being tried different builds I see now, playing as a shilder was an unique experience. I definitely did not regret it playing. But it was just not for me methinks.

And san, I do not think if you maxed all of the skills you supposedly have (shield, athletics, power strike, Ironflesh, riding, weapon master) but I would not recommend having 3 power throw skill. With 3 power throw, I do not think it would offer much to you at that level. Additionally, since you will have 2-3 slots filled with your shield+onehand+spear it would leave you with only one slot. Which makes it useless in my opinion. Throwing is a bit luck based compared to other abilities and without much ammo, you may find it very useless. In case you haven't maxed out the skills I listed, you better go max them first. Just saying.
By the way, I tried to guess what kind of build you did go for at the character planner. But I failed. If you'd like to share your build, I am eager to see it :)

He means He's going to ahve that build in one lvl.

Offline callahan9119

• Baron
  • Renown: 106
  • Infamy: 50
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Callahan9119
« Reply #81 on: April 20, 2012, 09:32:11 pm »
I decided to put my throwing weapons away and focus on melee. This way I can do athletics and wear heavier armor and not worry about throwing penalty. What should be my alternate weapon? I'm thinking a spear.

I find myself actually doing better not trying to play two roles, a thrower and a melee fighter. Just being a melee fighter keeps me more focused.
Hello

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 20, 2012, 10:10:43 pm »
He means He's going to ahve that build in one lvl.

Exactly.

I'm at 18/18 5 IF, 6 PS, 5 Shield, 6 Athletics and 6 WM now. Level 32 will be 18/21 with 7 athletics.

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 20, 2012, 10:52:00 pm »
I did that madness at level 30 :P

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 21, 2012, 12:34:11 am »
I've got a +3 broad one handed battle axe to match the build :)

High footspeed and enough damage to hurt people.

Offline callahan9119

• Baron
  • Renown: 106
  • Infamy: 50
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Callahan9119
« Reply #85 on: April 21, 2012, 01:32:48 am »
How does this build look?

Level 30 (4 420 577 xp)

Strength: 18
Agility: 18
Hit points: 63
Skills to attributes: 2
Ironflesh: 5
Power Strike: 6
Shield: 6
Athletics: 6
Weapon Master: 6
One Handed: 135
Polearm: 101

Would I be able to wear heavy armor with this and still move reasonably well, or would something with 7 athletics be better if I plan on wearing heavy armor?
Hello

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #86 on: April 21, 2012, 02:09:25 am »
It's decent. 1 more IF instead of that last WM point though. Best build imo is 18/21 with low IF and WM but full ath and ps but that's only better when you get more experience. 21/15 or 18/18 are good places to start.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Shatter

• Knight
  • Renown: 59
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Shatter_Astralis
« Reply #87 on: April 21, 2012, 02:28:20 am »
Would I be able to wear heavy armor with this and still move reasonably well, or would something with 7 athletics be better if I plan on wearing heavy armor?
Don't worry about wearing heavy armor or not. No matter how much athletics you have, its almost always better for a shielder to have a body armor under 15 or 16 weight. And as others have said, stay above 6 PS. Since you are new, you are more likely glance a lot at 5 PS.

Just find a build and stick with it. After your first gen, you will have an understanding of the game and know whether you want more agi or str and can make a build more suited to your playstyle. 

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #88 on: April 21, 2012, 02:37:03 am »
why bother with polearms as a shielder? throwing weapons basically accomplish the same thing (anti-cav), plus you can use them against infantry as well.

ranged > crappy spears

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 21, 2012, 02:45:41 am »
+1
You have a shield, why do you need armor?
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?