Author Topic: Tips for 1 handed/shield fighting?  (Read 17579 times)

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Tips for 1 handed/shield fighting?
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2012, 11:37:55 pm »
Shielder can be frustrating till level 25, especially if you're not that skilled yet. Throwing even more so, because evading ranged is soooo easy in this game.

One mistake many shielders make is to wear heavy armor as soon as they have enough STR. If you don't have the athletics up to 5 yet, don't use heavy armor, or you will be circled easily. Read the offensive shielder guide for some tactics (builds are maybe not so relevant anymore, since a lot has changed since then).
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline kinngrimm

• King
  • Renown: 1026
  • Infamy: 320
    • View Profile
    • The Betrayer of Nations
  • Faction: Wolves of Fenris
  • Game nicks: kinngrimm, Karma
  • IRC nick: kinngrimm
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2012, 11:54:09 pm »
+1
learn from the past, live the moment, dream of the future

Offline callahan9119

• Baron
  • Renown: 106
  • Infamy: 50
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Callahan9119
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2012, 11:55:03 pm »
Shielder can be frustrating till level 25, especially if you're not that skilled yet. Throwing even more so, because evading ranged is soooo easy in this game.

One mistake many shielders make is to wear heavy armor as soon as they have enough STR. If you don't have the athletics up to 5 yet, don't use heavy armor, or you will be circled easily. Read the offensive shielder guide for some tactics (builds are maybe not so relevant anymore, since a lot has changed since then).

What is considered "heavy"? I have a Haubergeon that weights 11.5.
Hello

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2012, 12:34:32 pm »
What is considered "heavy"? I have a Haubergeon that weights 11.5.

Anything over 15 weight imo, but definatly antyhing weighing 20 and over.

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline callahan9119

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2012, 09:33:39 pm »
Why does everyone seem so goddamn fast compared to me? I'm wearing nothing heavy. Nordic conical helmet 2.3, studded leather coat 6.6, leather gloves .1, mail chausses 1.7, one handed ax 1.5, shield 6.5, my throwing axes 8. Is that just too much combined weapons and shit? I have only 3 athletics atm (lvl 21), but I know those dudes running around in giant soup cans with str builds don't have a ton of athletics.

I don't wanna be wearing  studded coat forever, but unless I'm gonna see considerable gains in speed by getting 2 more in athletics, I don't see how I'll ever be able to wear decent armor and not run like I'm a fat ass.

And a question about throwing...does it ever become somewhat accurate? My axes have a hilarious/annoying tendency to go wherever they please. I'm fine with just learning to try and predict their flight better, but I'm wondering if someone were to go all in on throwing and get really high proficiency and PT, would it become more accurate? Weight doesn't seem to do anything, because I went out in my underpants to experiment and I seemed to gain no accuracy improvement.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 09:34:49 pm by callahan9119 »
Hello

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2012, 10:17:33 pm »
Depends on where you play. In EU, people generaly have higher athletics than in NA. At least 5-6 seems to be the norm, with quite a number of people pushing 7 or more.

About the throwing: Throwing is done by "feeling" the throw. You use the reticule to know where the center of your screen is and that's about it. The randomness in throwing get's better when you put more wpf into throwing, but it's never going to be very accurate.

Throwing axes fly off a bit below and left to the center of your screen, if you correct for that, your hitrate should improve.

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline callahan9119

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2012, 11:07:23 pm »
Depends on where you play. In EU, people generaly have higher athletics than in NA. At least 5-6 seems to be the norm, with quite a number of people pushing 7 or more.

Why, is there a surfeit of class and self respect in europe where guys don't feel compelled to go all strength and use mauls and shit?

I would prefer to play on EU because then I wouldn't understand half the flaming that goes on in chat. BTW is there a way to get rid of the voice commands so I don't have to hear "protect me", "retreat", "defend the catapult" etc yelled over and over?
Hello

Offline Gimest

• Baron
  • Renown: 101
  • Infamy: 40
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Pantheon
  • Game nicks: Gimest_DeGyrst
  • IRC nick: Gimest
« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2012, 11:26:36 pm »
U chose a hard build, shielder with throwing aint gonna be outrunning much ppl, if ur having 15 agi and 5 ath with shield and throwing weapons, that just mean's only couple enemies on battlefield will be slower then you.

Alot of ppl have atleast 15 agi, most two handers and polearmers 18 or 21 , and even if they have alot heavier armor then u, ur shield and throwing weapons will slow you down, especially when u have shield up.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 11:29:55 pm by Gimest »

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2012, 11:50:41 pm »
Why, is there a surfeit of class and self respect in europe where guys don't feel compelled to go all strength and use mauls and shit?

I would prefer to play on EU because then I wouldn't understand half the flaming that goes on in chat. BTW is there a way to get rid of the voice commands so I don't have to hear "protect me", "retreat", "defend the catapult" etc yelled over and over?

QMV will turn it off temporarily for that play session

Offline kinngrimm

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2012, 11:54:08 pm »
i can only speak for my self, i started 24 generations and 34 1/2 levels ago to go more and more to agi, because i died constantly to 2h and polearm spam or backbeddal spam. Athletics and also a bit more WPM as full concentration on sound and footwork did solve that problem for me.

chadz God of this Realm, hear us, we want client site permamute. So that we can honor your givings in peace without flame, out of RP comments or in general don't have to hear all the BS of some disturbingly small minded guys.(to some that may be the crap i pull out of my a**, point still is the same). We don't want to mute the same guys over and over again, or wait till some admin decides that one dude is taking it too far. Ignorance is bliss, client site permanent mute!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 11:58:03 pm by kinngrimm »

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2012, 11:57:30 pm »
chadz God of this Realm, hear us, we want client site permamute. So that we can honor your givings in peace without flame, out of RP comments or in gneral don't have to hear all the BS of some disturbingly small minded guys.(to some that may be the crap i pull out of a**, point still is the same). We don't want to mute the same guys over and over again, or wait till some admin decides that one dude is taking it too far. Ignorance is bliss, client site permanent mute!

re-recording the fucking terrible voices & putting a basic 5 sec flood filter would pretty much solve the problem and require less time than coding a perma-mute function.  but devs dont anticipate kindergarten effort griefing.

Offline kinngrimm

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2012, 12:02:02 am »
re-recording the fucking terrible voices & putting a basic 5 sec flood filter would pretty much solve the problem and require less time than coding a perma-mute function.  but devs dont anticipate kindergarten effort griefing.
it is not only about voice command spam, they are terrible annoying admitted, but so is the weapon switching some are doing weeeboooo ^^, worse things can be done within the possibilities of words.

Offline callahan9119

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2012, 12:20:11 am »
Some of those voice commands have saved my life a couple times when used how they were supposed to, "infantry coming from behind" or whatever. 99.9% of the time though it's just people being annoying.

Same with game chat, some people will be cool and say some funny shit, but most of it is flaming, insults, endless bitching, requests for people to be banned etc etc...yeah it's the internet, but there is like a meanness in this mod that is kind of a bummer. If the mod wasn't so addicting I'd probably have stopped playing based on the oppressive player atmosphere.

Native is much more easy going, but it just has a hollow feeling after I played this.

People seem super nice for the most part on the forums, or maybe I'm in the wrong forum and all the bitching assery is elsewhere.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 12:22:23 am by callahan9119 »
Hello

Offline BlindGuy

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 583
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • De oppresso liber et plus ultra.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2012, 12:23:29 am »
i can only speak for my self, i started 24 generations and 34 1/2 levels ago to go more and more to agi, because i died constantly to 2h and polearm spam or backbeddal spam. Athletics and also a bit more WPM as full concentration on sound and footwork did solve that problem for me.

I have to agree with Kinn, despite that I hate his pick with a passion I usually reserve for the ladies. Many players here are hurting you, as a new player, by suggesting builds with 15 AGI. As a new player, with a shield (shields are very heavy and slow you a lot), you are making the game so hard for yourself with such low agility. I would sugest 15/21:

5 PS
7 shield, athletics and WM.

This will give you 150 wpf in 1handed, and another almost 90 to chuck into polearms, or throwing, or crossbows, to have a little bit of anticav/range abilities, and you can chuck your skillpoints left over into PT, or riding, or IF.

This may not be the most hardhitting build, but there is NO point in being able to kill enemies in 1hit if you never even get to hit them. This is a support role mostly untill you are a more experienced player, take some hits on your shield while you manouver enemies into a bad place so your teammates can destroy them with 2handers and poleaxes. with 7 shield you can catch a fair few arows before your shield gives out aswell, letting you rush the shooter, or keep a teammate safe while he reloads a crossbow.

REMEMBER: This game only shows Kills, and Deaths, but your teammates and yourself will know when you have helped them get a win, and they WILL apreciate you saving them from arrows, landing blows on enemies backs, and leaping over horsemen who have fallen, saving them from certain death while they lie on the ground mourning their horsey.
I don't know enough

Offline callahan9119

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2012, 12:29:03 am »
Why is my head always being clouded with doubts about my build  :|