Author Topic: Tips for 1 handed/shield fighting?  (Read 17574 times)

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
Re: Tips for 1 handed/shield fighting?
« Reply #60 on: April 19, 2012, 12:33:19 am »
+1
Why is my head always being clouded with doubts about my build  :|

Honestly you shouldn't worry much about your build until you get the playstyle down. People have posted some pretty solid builds on here already. Until you get more used to the mechanics and how CRPG plays maximizing your build isn't such a big deal. Also, the way you tailor your build has a lot to do with your preferred playstyle anyway. The more you play the more you'll tweak your build anyway to fit your playstyle.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 19, 2012, 12:39:24 am »
That is the bittersweet part of cRPG, get used to it :)
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline callahan9119

• Baron
  • Renown: 106
  • Infamy: 50
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Callahan9119
« Reply #62 on: April 19, 2012, 12:43:36 am »
That is the bittersweet part of cRPG, get used to it :)

Every time I think I'm settled on something, someone comes around and goes "hey bro, you're doing it all wrong...".
Hello

Offline kinngrimm

• King
  • Renown: 1026
  • Infamy: 320
    • View Profile
    • The Betrayer of Nations
  • Faction: Wolves of Fenris
  • Game nicks: kinngrimm, Karma
  • IRC nick: kinngrimm
« Reply #63 on: April 19, 2012, 12:49:53 am »
Every time I think I'm settled on something, someone comes around and goes "hey bro, you're doing it all wrong...".
i won't give you a build, if you want one from me you can find mine in the "solid builds" section somewhere inbetween page 15-18. But it just doesn't matter.
If you like this mod and with generation 2 i believe you are pretty much hooked  :lol:
that then but implies many more generations to come and one of the awesome things about crpg are exactly these generations.
You do improve your gear over time. You tweak your build into other directions and when a new generation is started you know from the last one what you enjoyed and what not so you tweak your build again till you are pretty close to what you feel is perfect for yourself.
Use this if you haven't got it yet http://infinitum.dyndns.org/crpg/calc.htm

enjoy

learn from the past, live the moment, dream of the future

Offline callahan9119

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 19, 2012, 12:53:45 am »
i won't give you a build, if you want one from me you can find mine in the "solid builds" section somewhere inbetween page 15-18. But it just doesn't matter.
If you like this mod and with generation 2 i believe you are pretty much hooked  :lol:
that then but implies many more generations to come and one of the awesome things about crpg are exactly these generations.
You do improve your gear over time. You tweak your build into other directions and when a new generation is started you know from the last one what you enjoyed and what not so you tweak your build again till you are pretty close to what you feel is perfect for yourself.
Use this if you haven't got it yet http://infinitum.dyndns.org/crpg/calc.htm

enjoy

I have more money than I know what to do with...that's the frustrating thing...I cannot put it to any use.

This is the best agility build I can devise for what I want to do, and it seems like i have very little hitpoints. I want at least 4 throwing.

Level 30 (4 420 577 xp)

Strength: 15
Agility: 21
Hit points: 56
Skills to attributes: 2
Ironflesh: 3
Power Strike: 5
Shield: 6
Athletics: 7
Power Throw: 4
Weapon Master: 5
One Handed: 124
Throwing: 100
Hello

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 19, 2012, 01:24:22 am »
Don't worry too much about it at gen 1..You will get to level 31 and get to start all over again from lvl 1 with ~600k free gold. That you can then put towards a ~1.6mil item

Your build won't be what lets you down at this point, you will just be learning to play and as long as its a functional build that covers your main areas it will be fine
If you have ranged troubles use this:

Offline callahan9119

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 19, 2012, 01:30:01 am »
If having 7 athletics is clearly better than having 7 PS I'd like to know now.
Hello

Offline kinngrimm

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 19, 2012, 01:39:00 am »
If having 7 athletics is clearly better than having 7 PS I'd like to know now.
Are you good or even very good at manual blocking? yes => you can use less shieldskill and less ath
Do you want to be on the flancs, hunt ranged runners, be mobile to get involved in places with medium to large walking distances, be out of weaponsreach and into weapons reach to your own liking and the disliking of your foe? if yes to these points up ath
If you you are sure you get a strike out and you want to make that one count then up str.

Str or Agi none of these are clearly better then each of it. That is what we are trying to say to you. Playstyle is about personal choice. Choices you can do over and over again, with each generation again till you would go for maximum level and then would be able to calculate on a broader spectrum attributes and skills into your build.

EDIT: the bare minimum in athletics out of my POV is 6 athletics. The bare minimum for strength depends strongly on the weapon you use
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 01:41:59 am by kinngrimm »

Offline callahan9119

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 19, 2012, 01:43:08 am »
I suck at manual blocking. Badly.

So I guess agility is where I should go for now? How is the build I put up? I use 1 handed weapons like broad 1 handed ax, nord champion sword and rarely the steel pick.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 01:44:23 am by callahan9119 »
Hello

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #69 on: April 19, 2012, 01:53:26 am »

Offline callahan9119

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 19, 2012, 01:56:44 am »
You're right

(click to show/hide)

But I ask a question about speed, or anything really, and I get unsolicited recommendations to change my build...almost like I'm doomed unless I do this or that.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 02:00:08 am by callahan9119 »
Hello

Offline kinngrimm

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 19, 2012, 02:25:38 am »
You're right

(click to show/hide)

But I ask a question about speed, or anything really, and I get unsolicited recommendations to change my build...almost like I'm doomed unless I do this or that.
how about the following.
You posted a 21 str 15 agi built at first. Go for it.
In a couple of weeks or if you play very often on a daily base then a lot sooner you go for 18/18. Then afterwards you go for 15/21 ... 12/24 ... 9/27 perhaps even 6 str 30 agi

while you do these generations you can test out 6-10 ath 6-10 shieldskill. The differences you will see are remarkable. But not cheap to invest.
You will miss  out totaly on IF with the later builts as when you got f.e. 8+ shieldskill that is a tough bitch to break and only if you make a mistake(experience will tell you what i am talking about) you will die fast otherwise you have a fucking shield that can take a beating.
between 6 and 8 ath is a niticable difference as with 8 to 10. Test it experience it.

You will need at least 18 generations if you want to full set of armor and 1h/sh to be masterwork. With hitting gen 15 you will ahve the biggest xp bonus for mutlipliers possible. Then you decide do you want to loom more stuff and perhaps get your smithingskills up so you do more generations and at a certain point you may go for max level. That all depends on how much time also you are able and crazy as hell enough to invest in this game.

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
« Reply #72 on: April 19, 2012, 02:27:20 am »
+1

No, you're not doomed and you shouldn't worry about your build much. As long as your build is pretty balanced (it is) you're fine for your first gen. I honestly wouldn't go below 6 ps for your first gen as a 1-hander or you'll probably run into problems with glancing. Once you learn good footwork you can do okay with 4ps with a 1-hander. Really your first couple of gens are just about learning the mechanics. Don't stress about your build right now. Especially when you consider that the builds that people are giving you are coming from their own personal preferences.

On your next gen just experiment with your build a bit more and do that again with subsequent gens. People are always posting up builds, but the only way to learn what build is right for you is to try out different ones.

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 19, 2012, 02:27:35 am »
If people said there was only one way to build then that would suggest big balance issues. Just depends on various factors, preference and since its capped you can't be the best in all areas. You have to sacrifice one thing for another, in this case manoeuvrability or damage or a mix. For eg. Kinngrimm's style is very defensive and fighting outnumbered, so he has high shield skill and can manuevre fast and choose when to engage or disengage. Someone else might not mind going slower and will want to kill in fewer hits instead. Kingrimm has like 4PS but high piercing weapon so does decent damage regardless though, but its quite short range I guess

You just have to go with a build and then play to your strengths and be aware of your weaknesses
If you have ranged troubles use this:

Offline kinngrimm

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 19, 2012, 03:49:11 am »
If people said there was only one way to build then that would suggest big balance issues. Just depends on various factors, preference and since its capped you can't be the best in all areas. You have to sacrifice one thing for another, in this case manoeuvrability or damage or a mix. For eg. Kinngrimm's style is very defensive and fighting outnumbered, so he has high shield skill and can manuevre fast and choose when to engage or disengage. Someone else might not mind going slower and will want to kill in fewer hits instead. Kingrimm has like 4PS but high piercing weapon so does decent damage regardless though, but its quite short range I guess

You just have to go with a build and then play to your strengths and be aware of your weaknesses

nice that some guys get what i try to do :) yes playstyle is the answer and you build and work actively on your playstyle over several generations. Till you found out what works best for you, what you want to focus on, what purpose you want to fullfill. If these things are answered you will know for yourself what stats you'd like to have and with what disadvantages you can live or work around them.

for me as mentioned it is very important to choose where, when and against whom i do engage. Surly getting peopel of guard gives you perhaps a kill or 1-2 free strikes, but often those who are not paying attention to their sorrounding have friends close by, if those then come chasing at you, you can either cut&run which is mostly unsatisfying to me  :mrgreen: so i needed to find ways to survive ...

till gen 3 i was thrower/1h/sh hybrid , and well got most kills out of throwing which means i sucked at 1h/sh. But i liked the shielder them so i got rid of throwing.
Also getting killed by 2h spam was annoying as you perhaps know that by defenition of gamemechanics there is a attack and a block phase, someone who keeps attacking after his first attack spams, but not in his attack pahse, so normaly the other dude should hit him, but there is backpeddeling and there where awesome weapons like the meanwhile corrected long hafted blade ... all of that brought me to more agi/wpm/ath
Then i was just annoyed by those mass clusterfucks still with XP buble(you got xp only when people got killed close to you) with soooo much teamdamge. That turned me more and more to the flanks. On the flanks i faced 3 major opponents. Cav, Ranged and Ninjas.
All of these again brought me more to ath till i ended up on a 9/27 build with huscarl/sitesword/bamboo and light leather gear. I was killing a lot less then today but the combination was awesome  8-) after a big respec i ended up with gen 16 less loomed gear but totally new gear loomed and my new weapon of choice was soon afterwards the steel pick. Vic666 always told me like that is the weapon no other weapon. After testing it for 1-2 generations i adjusted my build to even more ath for facehug and well i still use it. (man do i miss the good old siteword, much more versatile and fun to play, fuck you devs for nerving it into the ground)
What i am just telling you is a short history and how different experiences changed my perspective and therefor my playstyle. That all can be totally different on your site. Don't be afraid to test out. In the 26 generations i had there were at least 4-7 total fucked up builds in ... so what i still ahd fun testing them and afterwards i knew what not to do in the future.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 03:51:33 am by kinngrimm »