Author Topic: New retirement system.  (Read 3910 times)

Offline TomMyyY

• Earl
  • Renown: 365
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_TomMyyY
New retirement system.
« on: March 15, 2011, 04:57:15 pm »
I think it's quite obvious that the present retirement system doesn't really work the way it's supposed to work.
If I remember correctly chadz wanted to make heirlooms special and retirement hard to achieve, but now as people
get to higher generations quicker and quicker (because of the exponential factor: higher gen = easier retirement = even higher gen faster)
it's just a matter of time before there will be lots of people with rediculous generations (I have heard 'people' are 50+ already).

Though it's sitll a massive grind for new players to get a heirloom or two, which just seems unfair and boring for new players.

So my suggestion: new retirement system.

All the numbers used are just examples, I have no idea what the actual numbers should be balance wise.

I would suggest a retirement system based on some kind of points (can be coins, age or whatever, that's not important right now).
Where every day you would be able to collect a few points by winning rounds. Let's say you have a 5% chance to get a point if you
win a round, but after that you only have a 4% chance to get another one and so on up to a point where it's almost (or totally) impossible to get more points.

This would then reset every 24 hours making it achievable for everyone to get a few points a day, but for people who really want to grind it would be
possible to get a few more. Just set a goal at which you can retire and you're done, I think this would be a nice compromise between the boring 1-week wait
we had pre-patch, and the system we have right now that just isn't working the way it's intended.

In addition to this you could make it so that the amount of points you have to gather to retire increases after every retirement.
So it would require 25 points to retire the first time, then 30, 35 and so on. This way it becomes harder to retire each time, but you can still keep the same
experience bonusses, because it won't spiral out of control now.

Offline Belmont

• Baron
  • Renown: 109
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: New retirement system.
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 05:14:09 pm »
This system would be better for new players but it doesn't help with the current situation we have right now, that is, too many high generation players (myself included, Gen 16 soon 17). I think adding a "limit" would be the easiest way to fix retirement as people keep progressing constantly and new players (or players who have not retired that much) are unable to catch up with them.

My own idea about retirement would be: a hard cap of generation 10 (3 "Masterwork" items) and thus limiting the bonus EXP to 90%. As many people already have passed this limit they should be allowed to repick their heirlooms (and thus lowering their generation) but removing any extra ones, this would reduce the amount of heirlooms and encourages trading as you are unable to stack infinite heirlooms with enough time. With a hard cap new players will eventually be able to catch up and not be stuck with a lower generation for always.

Offline TomMyyY

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 05:24:01 pm »
But then the only thing left to do would be the grind towards those almost unachievable levels above 31, I think it would
be fun to have something to do other then leveling up extremely slowly.

People need some kind of achievable grind, that is what Crpg has always been about (partially of course, there are lots of other great features).

Offline verinen

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Verinen
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 05:24:39 pm »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 05:27:31 pm by verinen »

Offline Grey

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 72
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
  • Hope you like arrows...
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: -
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 05:31:19 pm »
Some players are out of control.....but I think instead of limiting their ability to achieve ommipotence could we:

Include siege KDR and performance in character history.
Have an autobalance that takes into account generation, KDR, general performace (wins, losses, teamkills, etc) and then balance accordingly.

I love watching those 5 or 6 guys stood in the village square, as 20-30 lesser mortals come crashing towards them, confident that this is nothing they have not seen before and survived....

And the last champion, 17th of his families line of epic heroes, atop a pile of his enemies that await him in the next life (dead chat), going down under the many assorted blades of the peasant masses....

So, in short, allow the pwnage, but ballance the matches for it, with either very superior numbers, or others of such calliber, opposing the supaheroes, and maybe disable the clanflag stacking if that still works, seems bad idea.....balance wise....
Bamboo Bundle Bowman: 90'' draw, groups at 200 yards.

Offline TomMyyY

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 05:56:41 pm »
Some players are out of control.....but I think instead of limiting their ability to achieve ommipotence could we:

Include siege KDR and performance in character history.
Have an autobalance that takes into account generation, KDR, general performace (wins, losses, teamkills, etc) and then balance accordingly.

I love watching those 5 or 6 guys stood in the village square, as 20-30 lesser mortals come crashing towards them, confident that this is nothing they have not seen before and survived....

And the last champion, 17th of his families line of epic heroes, atop a pile of his enemies that await him in the next life (dead chat), going down under the many assorted blades of the peasant masses....

So, in short, allow the pwnage, but ballance the matches for it, with either very superior numbers, or others of such calliber, opposing the supaheroes, and maybe disable the clanflag stacking if that still works, seems bad idea.....balance wise....

What exactly does this have to do with this topic?

Offline Grey

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 72
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
  • Hope you like arrows...
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: -
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 06:01:12 pm »
What exactly does this have to do with this topic?

Alternative to limiting retirements, or capping them.
Bamboo Bundle Bowman: 90'' draw, groups at 200 yards.

Offline sF_Zorro

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: RoyalKnight
  • Game nicks: RoyalKnight_Bastard_Bernhard
  • IRC nick: Zorro
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 10:05:30 pm »
No i like that retire system what is now.

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 10:09:29 pm »
@Grey As far as i can see you've suggested a new team balancing system as a solution to people attaining stupidly high generations (we're talking retire 3 times in 5 day kinda people).  I don't think thats a viable option and sounds more like a denial of a problem rather than an alternative solution.

Discussion on this problem is needed. chadz, I believe has admitted himself that the new retirement system is not what he wanted, and has if anything made the problems that were shown with the old system worse.

This suggested system would handicap the ability of people to grind and grind to generations 20+ which gives them exactly the same advantage over players that having a high level such as 40+ did pre patch. 

Everyone understands that Grinding will happen, its inevitable in any form of competitive game play based on persistent level based characters. However a system that prevents people from gaining stupid advantages over others while allowing new players to achieve easily is desirable. 

This system suggested may not be perfect but it is a solution.
Turtles

Offline Vexus

• Count
  • Renown: 198
  • Infamy: 41
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Deus_Mortis
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2011, 10:15:08 pm »
It could be good if after getting to gen 10 when you retired afterwards you get an option to move 1 heirloom level to another weapon/armor so that people can still retire if they want to change what they already heirloomed.

Offline Kalam

• Duke
  • Renown: 697
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Never do an enemy a small injury.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Linebreakers
  • Game nicks: Cavalieres_Midnighter, Dunsparrow
  • IRC nick: Kalam
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2011, 10:16:23 pm »
A retirement cap or recurring exponential gold costs past generation 10 would fix it easily enough.

Offline Khalim

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2011, 10:20:31 pm »
I dont think that retiring has to be limited as there is already a natural obstacle which prevents "heirloom abuse". You can equip yourself with just one helm, one armour, one horse and so on. Weapon slots are limited.

Of course somebody who has a fully heirloomed char will be quite dangerous, but I also think, that such players can easily be killed by a bunch of skilled players. If 2-3 Players work together not even a best euipped pro has much of a chance.

But what needs change is the massive grind in the beginning. I am generatio 2 only and the game starts to turn me off. It becomes boring and there is nothing achieveable with skillful playing. Only waiting and waiting and grinding and grinding.
The worst part of the mod is the XP-System which is the greatest bullshit I have ever seen in a game :P

At least starting Xp should be increased MASSIVE(at least 1500 per tick)

You have to consider that you have to play ~70hours for your first Char. That is MUCH MORE time you have to spend on normal PC games to see all of its regular parts.
I am saying this though I am an excessive player who spents many hours a day! But this is just ridiculous. I start to believe that chadz is not a good game designer...
" ME LONG WOOD PIECE WITH SHARP STONE AT PEAK.ME COME RIDE TO YOU ON BIG ANIMAL FAST."

Offline Bokuzen

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2011, 10:22:44 pm »
i to have noted a need for a change in the system. I joined just before the patch and as such had not retired pre patch. However i am currently at lvl 30 and have been for some time and its only now maybe a month after i achieved lvl 30 that i have had the want or need to grind to lvl 31 and i still have 2mill to go. I know that is slightly down to my own attitude and im sure many new players would of grinded a bit longer than me however i am sure had i not joined templars i would not be playing more purely because of the grind i have to do. i don't see the current system as flawed completely however the amount a newbie has to grind on first gen just is too much and will turn off players. I like your suggestion tommy and maybe with the addition of maybe extras you could by with theese coins maybe special weapons or at a push attribute/ skill points i belive the game can field a much more diverse player base

Offline TomMyyY

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2011, 10:24:15 pm »
A retirement cap or recurring exponential gold costs past generation 10 would fix it easily enough.

A retirement cap sounds so boring, retiring is what keeps a lot of people playing now. Wouldn't it be nice to just make it harder and maybe more rewarding?

Edit: It gets harder over time I mean, it shouldn't be too much of a grind the first few times.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 10:29:53 pm by TomMyyY »

Offline fEd0r

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Druzhina
  • Game nicks: Druzhina_fEd0r
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2011, 10:43:57 pm »
Just limit max exp gain per tick, maybe 10000(x5 11 gen), so even if u have, for example, gen 17 u will get 2600 at x1, 5200 at x2, 7800 at x3 and 10000 for x4 and x5, not more. Ppl would still be able to heilroom items and get a little anvantage at low multi...