Author Topic: increase kick risk  (Read 13378 times)

Offline kinngrimm

• King
  • Renown: 1026
  • Infamy: 320
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • The Betrayer of Nations
  • Faction: Wolves of Fenris
  • Game nicks: kinngrimm, Karma
  • IRC nick: kinngrimm
Re: increase kick risk
« Reply #120 on: August 12, 2012, 08:27:51 pm »
btw. earlier i was asking Smooth about if there is really something to be done about the kicks, i realise after reading again, that that question also could have been mistaken refering to the polestager which wasn't my intention. Still good news on the polestagger issue will.
learn from the past, live the moment, dream of the future

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 12, 2012, 08:31:43 pm »
btw. earlier i was asking Smooth about if there is really something to be done about the kicks, i realise after reading again, that that question also could have been mistaken refering to the polestager which wasn't my intention. Still good news on the polestagger issue will.

The idea is there to rebalance kicks so you can no longer block, but can turn while kicking.  Not sure if/when it will be implemented, but its been discussed by the devs.  Not a bad change really, as long as turning isn't too good.  I like kicking personally, use it sometimes myself but it feels cheap to pull off or get done to you unless you miss it.  In which case, you can usually block!  A bit dumb but still a very fun ability.
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Matey

• King
  • Renown: 1327
  • Infamy: 372
  • cRPG Player
  • A Pirate
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Matey_BRD
« Reply #122 on: August 12, 2012, 09:02:55 pm »
i worry about the turning ability... i remember way back when people could turn with kicks and some people didnt really miss their kicks, ever. but i think you could block and turn so it was extra awful.

Offline kinngrimm

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 12, 2012, 09:15:00 pm »
The idea is there to rebalance kicks so you can no longer block, but can turn while kicking.  Not sure if/when it will be implemented, but its been discussed by the devs.  Not a bad change really, as long as turning isn't too good.  I like kicking personally, use it sometimes myself but it feels cheap to pull off or get done to you unless you miss it.  In which case, you can usually block!  A bit dumb but still a very fun ability.
Sounds like a plan, still i also worry like Mattey about the turning ability, if they make it as difficult like turning and then overheading someone with a onehand weapon ^^ it shouldn't be a problem. If there is an uncertainty factor included like the more you turn, the more unlikely you will be able to hit and also that when you turn into one direction and then switch the direction the uncertainty would increase with a few percentages. I don't know if messing with the timing of the kicks itself would be something beneficial there though. Smooth You said earlier i believe in this thread that after you figured out the timing it was all easy, but imagine if the timing would depend also on other factors which aren't that obivous at first i think people wouldn't use it then at all anymore which also i wouldn't like to see, as the efect of getting skillfully hit is also good for the man who got kicked :) somehow curing him from overconvidence ^^

offtopic, are overheads with other weapon types also that difficult now or only the 1h?

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #124 on: August 13, 2012, 11:04:48 pm »
+11
Thinking about adding this:

(click to show/hide)

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #125 on: August 14, 2012, 02:33:52 am »
+1

(click to show/hide)
Yes!
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 14, 2012, 07:37:00 am »
+3

(click to show/hide)

chambering kicks...

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Toodles

• Knight
  • Renown: 76
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
  • DON'T CHASE CAV
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Merc_Bjorn
« Reply #127 on: August 14, 2012, 12:54:33 pm »

(click to show/hide)

Hooray! Now you need only implement chambering arrows and I'll be a satisfied man.

Offline kinngrimm

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 14, 2012, 07:30:34 pm »

(click to show/hide)
i do like the concept of chambering kicks, still it feels like missing the point of making it tougher to kick in the first place.
We would need to see how this plays out ingame, but i predict even more kicking ...(if thats a good or bad thing anyone for his own has to see)

To the anticipational thingy, you get kicked in the first place because you didn't anticipate, so this doesn't make a higher risk factor. Still blocking even when missed attacks.

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 15, 2012, 12:02:48 am »
+1
It makes you able to punish predictable kicks no matter what weapon you wield. That is a big improvement.

Offline Matey

• King
  • cRPG Player
  • A Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 15, 2012, 01:00:14 am »
ehh maybe. right now you can supposedly beat kickers by thrusting if you can predict it!! but its pretty unreliable, so i doubt chambering kicks will be any more reliable.

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #131 on: August 15, 2012, 02:50:50 am »
Chamberkicks + general kick nerf? y/y?
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 15, 2012, 10:14:23 am »
ehh maybe. right now you can supposedly beat kickers by thrusting if you can predict it!! but its pretty unreliable, so i doubt chambering kicks will be any more reliable.

It makes you able to punish predictable kicks no matter what weapon you wield. That is a big improvement.

Offline Matey

• King
  • cRPG Player
  • A Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 15, 2012, 10:58:17 am »
you say its a big improvement, but even weapons that can thrust still have a brutal time vs kicks... would i have to aim this kick chamber? or could i just hit the button regardless of where im standing if i think im about to get kicked? i guess if it works that way then maybe... otherwise it seems pretty weak.

Offline DaveUKR

• Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 242
  • cRPG Player
  • Small rain lays great dust
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 15, 2012, 11:37:57 am »
+2
About kicks and thrusts.

1) Currently it's way easy to use kicks. It took a couple of days for me (last year) to get used to them and kick pretty much everyone but then I've changed my build with more crossbow wpf and less melee wpf so kick didn't give me that big advantage (most of the kicks didn't give me enough time to land a hit with my low wpf and short weapon so my enemies blocked attacks) and I've stopped using them here and there. But still it's a fact that it's easy to get used to kicks.

2) Thrusts can counter kicks sometimes. It is true, but not all weapons have thrusts plus there is not a big window of time you can use a thrust. And this thrust stun... Hearst abuses kicks and thrust stun much more than everyone else. If he misses a kick and I make a thrust, it's more likely that he will block it and I will get hit by swing of his sword while being stunned, that's why I prefer to evade kicks and make side swings from behind. But this works 1/4 of the times and only because I have high athletics.

3) You already can't block while kicking in beta client so the issue is mostly solved.