Poll

Do you want to see YATAGHAN in cRPG ?

Yes
106 (72.6%)
No
40 (27.4%)

Total Members Voted: 146

Author Topic: New 1h sword : Yataghan  (Read 18915 times)

Offline Diomedes

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
  • Cat
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sootnik_Diomedes
Re: New 1h sword : Yataghan
« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2011, 06:00:37 pm »

Fancy words, but wheres the reason or science behind it? Its just another knife
:|

- added weight to the head gives it more power in the right place, rather than being heavy or light throughout
- when striking along the bottom of the blade one is using both a swinging and pulling motion.  This generates far more force than swinging alone.

I only went to grade ten physics so that's the best I can explain it.  I think I got the main concepts there but I can't articulate how they work  :(

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • Renown: 515
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Grandmaster Ultimate God Of Swashbucklin'
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bridgeburners
  • Game nicks: Bobthehero_Whals and I am totally not all the Not_Bobthehero alts ever.
  • IRC nick: Buff Swashbuckling
« Reply #61 on: March 16, 2011, 06:14:38 pm »
You dont kill people in plate armor with 1 handed cutting weapon, except in game, for balance.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
The Narwhals, dedicated swashbuckler part of FCC

Stabbing is my speciality and one hitting people, my art

Offline jspook

• Noble
  • Renown: 17
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Auphan
  • Game nicks: Pit
« Reply #62 on: March 16, 2011, 06:21:51 pm »
You dont kill people in plate armor with 1 handed cutting weapon, except in game, for balance.
You are sort of correct.  the blade crushes, for the most part.  you also have to take into consideration that not all plate of that age was steel, or even high quality steel.

The shape of the blade provides a much higher psi rating at the tip then straight weapon.  even though the weapon only weighs 2-3lbs it feels much heavier in your hand due to the fact that most of the weight is concentrated near the head of the blade.  Like an axe.  and like an axe it delivers all that kinetic energy in a very tight area.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 06:58:35 pm by jspook »
"Scissors needs a nerf because he beats me every time, but rock is just fine" - paper

Offline Opium.dk

• Knight
  • Renown: 53
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen Of Fenada
  • Game nicks: Opiumdk
« Reply #63 on: March 16, 2011, 06:34:00 pm »
- added weight to the head gives it more power in the right place, rather than being heavy or light throughout
- when striking along the bottom of the blade one is using both a swinging and pulling motion.  This generates far more force than swinging alone.

Weight is an advantage versus plate because it creates blunt damage.

This sword is very light compared to other swords, so while it might be heavier at the tip its still pretty fucking light, according to wiki it doesnt even weigh more than a kg.

Its just a sword/knife and swords do NOT penetrate plate armor and many of them hardly penetrates mail.
All this talk about having a bonus vs plate or whatever is ridiculos, especially considering that its not even possible to do that.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Marshal_Nemesis

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
  • ..even the wise can not see all ends..
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 16, 2011, 06:57:31 pm »
Hmm..lets talk about sword types than..

If the blade is STRAIGHT than the purpose is to 'PIERCE'
(Like all western weapons..my words get confirmed if you look after medieval swords..they are like thin piercing swords..)

If the blade is CONVEX than the purpose is to 'CUT'
(Like some of the eastern weapons also axe like weapons in west)

If the blade is CONCAVE than the purpose is to 'BREACH'
(Only Turkish weapons..)

I wont continue to defend a historical truth anymore.. Just try to understand it pls..

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Bobthehero_Whals and I am totally not all the Not_Bobthehero alts ever.
« Reply #65 on: March 16, 2011, 07:20:26 pm »

Thats thin as hell and couldnt cut anything  :rolleyes:

Offline Ujin

• King
  • Renown: 1057
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 16, 2011, 07:25:21 pm »
Weight is an advantage versus plate because it creates blunt damage.

This sword is very light compared to other swords, so while it might be heavier at the tip its still pretty fucking light, according to wiki it doesnt even weigh more than a kg.

Its just a sword/knife and swords do NOT penetrate plate armor and many of them hardly penetrates mail.
All this talk about having a bonus vs plate or whatever is ridiculos, especially considering that its not even possible to do that.
You can't really understand past -first grade physics, can you ? A hammer shouldn't be able to bang nails in any kind of surface, it's so fucking light !

Anyways, +1 for this weapon being made and getting in cRPG , a very unique blade which will add to variety. Stats can be further discussed, i'd make it a good cutting weapon. No bonuses fcourse .

P.S. give falchion a bonus vs shields ! =)

Offline Marshal_Nemesis

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 16, 2011, 07:30:54 pm »

Thats thin as hell and couldnt cut anything  :rolleyes:

Easy solution..

Open google..write : western swords 15th century
your blade will show up..

than open google ..write: western swords 18th century.. (or 19th..)
TA-DAAA

thin blades:)...so..with time..western swords get thinner..end of story

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 16, 2011, 07:33:27 pm »
medieval swords..

western swords 18th century.. (or 19th..)

Medieval =/= 18th century

Offline BattalGazi

• Earl
  • Renown: 346
  • Infamy: 115
  • cRPG Player
  • Count the feathers on my Deli Cap!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans (GK)
  • Game nicks: GK_BattalGazi
  • IRC nick: BattalGazi
« Reply #69 on: March 16, 2011, 07:36:59 pm »
The "curve" on the blade increases the torque transmitted to the tip of the sword compared to the straight blades. While considering a swing maneuver ( imagine a from-right-to-left swing) , curved blade satisfies a longer continious arc of cutting edge. This can also be explained as a longer "time" of cutting, as while the blade follows the trajectory of the swing, arc still penetrates the target because of the circular shape. Combining these two properties, 1) higter torque on tip of blade 2) longer penetration interval, you have a very effective cutting sword.

As the western unit types are favored by full plate or mails, eastern units preferred these curved blades to increase their chances in inflicting more damage agains these armors. As the weakest spots on these armors are the body joint locations, such as gap between helmet and neck cover, arm and armpit gaps, knee cover gaps ... such curved blades were effectively used on these points. This might be the reason why some friends here insist on armor bonus points.

When we talk about "recurve" as in yataghan, this modification still kept the previous skills of curved blades, but also increasing the durability of the blade. I also remember reading in a journal that those recurved blades were very effective for beheading :)

I'm not sure whether this satisfies your scientific needs but if you are really interested in learning the details, I suggest you to open and read some militaristic books ;)

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 16, 2011, 07:43:36 pm »
I sitll doubt that knife would cut through plate maybe its more effictive agaisnt mail but no way its going to cut agaisnt the plate, also the heavy armor in cRPG are already crippled enough dont have to add more icing on top of the poisonned cake...

Offline Opium.dk

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 16, 2011, 08:06:43 pm »
You can't really understand past -first grade physics, can you ? A hammer shouldn't be able to bang nails in any kind of surface, it's so fucking light !

Oh i see, a hammer can hit nails so therefore a curved sword can cut through plated metal?
You dont seem to understand that a sword cannot cut through plate armor, which is what OP and others are suggesting.

The hammer i got in the toolbox is probably heavier than this knife we're discussing.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Opium.dk

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 16, 2011, 08:20:52 pm »
curved blades to increase their chances in inflicting more damage agains these armors. As the weakest spots on these armors are the body joint locations, such as gap between helmet and neck cover, arm and armpit gaps, knee cover gaps ... such curved blades were effectively used on these points. This might be the reason why some friends here insist on armor bonus points.

That makes absolutely no sense, why would a curved blade be better at striking weak spots like joints when its designed to cut and not pierce.
Quote from: Wiki
Plate armour was virtually sword-proof. It also protects the wearer well against spear or pike thrusts and provides decent defence against blunt trauma. The evolution of plate armour also triggered developments in the design of offensive weapons. While this armour was effective against cuts or blows, their weak points could be exploited by long tapered swords or other weapons designed for the purpose, such as poleaxes and halberds.

A long pointy sword is apparently effective against plate armors weak spots, the complete opposite of this yataghan sword.

Yeah the sword is pwetty and turkish, i get it, but treating it like a lightsaber is silly cus its not.
You guys are starting to sound like the weeabos claiming that katanas can cut through a mountain cus ITS SO SHARP DUDE!
(click to show/hide)

Offline Marshal_Nemesis

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 16, 2011, 08:40:27 pm »
hmm.. you are just trolling this topic..

btw it is not a knife ... it is a 60cm to 90 cm SWORD..

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 16, 2011, 08:41:42 pm »
Noone trolling we are just giving you cold hard facts about armor, and how that sword couldnt cut through it...