Author Topic: Is this bannable?  (Read 11995 times)

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
Re: Is this bannable?
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2012, 11:15:13 pm »
+3
I suggest turning your efforts to ya know actual LGBT support groups, community outreach, writing to congressional representatives, actual things in the real world to fight discriminatory speech and actions in the hearts and minds of rednecks, bigots, and god-fearing homophobes across the country.. instead of lobbying for cRPG justice.  for our servers are just a microcosm of society at large

Amusingly enough those very same groups preach that you should also fight discriminatory speech everywhere including the internet. I understand what you are saying, but I don't think lobbying for it here is necessarily a bad thing or should be discouraged.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Lizard_man

• Marshall
  • Renown: 717
  • Infamy: 153
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Lizard_man, Jinmenju
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2012, 11:15:47 pm »
+3
Stop being a bitch and man up...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2012, 11:19:47 pm »
+3
To get people to stop saying my old friend when someone kills them in a videogame, would require censoring chat in such a way that I think would be a huge turn off for the majority of players.. but this comes up to the ethical questions of putting the majority ahead of a minority. 

In my eyes, it would turn it into a "Christian Gaming Server" where people are afraid to use chat or play on at all for fun due to admins having leeway to ban for saying "fuck" or something like that in a game where you kill people over and over and has an ESRB rating of "T" including a note for 'Mild Language"

Now when it comes to individual harassment, that is a whole 'nother ballpark and no admin will tolerate that, we strongly recommend you report in "i" chat, document with screenshots of logs and post in the ban request section and they will be handled appropriately.

What you will notice is that most people's opinions here will be "shut the fuck up pussy" and we've had threads about this before that devolve very quickly.. its actually a pretty interesting topic to me, and we as admins do try to create an environment of fun on the servers where anyone can be welcome to play so I welcome the talk.. just don't expect to get most players to stop saying "that shit is gay" anytime soon
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 11:23:17 pm by Smoothrich »
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

Offline larlek

• Baron
  • Renown: 140
  • Infamy: 95
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Larlik PooperScooper Larlek
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2012, 11:22:58 pm »
What do you suspect the purpose of this post was?  I have ignored it for a long time on Warband and I just dont want to completley ignore the severe instances of homophobia anymore.  Those who stand for nothing fall for everything.

Look here. You can't control what people say or think. That's just life. As an adult you will learn to ignore what you don't like and instead focus on what you do like.

Look on the brightside. Being called a my old friend or a homo certainly beats the treatment you would recieve in the middle east or africa. I would take being called names over being stoned to death or hung anyday.

Offline Rainbow

• Count
  • Renown: 167
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2012, 11:23:12 pm »
+1
On a little bit of a side note, there is more homo erotic talk on vent then i've heard in most gay bars.  Gamers are crazy.

And in response to Smoothrich.  I really have no objection towards someone dieing and being called a my old friend as a result of being kill or something along those lines.  I think it is silly but again, it has been accepted as a social norm so no biggie.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 11:25:19 pm by Rainbow »

Offline Rainbow

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2012, 11:24:44 pm »
+1
Look here. You can't control what people say or think. That's just life. As an adult you will learn to ignore what you don't like and instead focus on what you do like.

Look on the brightside. Being called a my old friend or a homo certainly beats the treatment you would recieve in the middle east or africa. I would take being called names over being stoned to death or hung anyday.

I never proposed I could control what a gamer thinks nor can I control what they say.  An admin can though.  :-).  Again, that is the intent of this thread to figure out what would be done.  Now I know they will control what they say in some instances.  Read what the admins are actually saying before making post contrary to there words.

Offline Gricks

• Knight
  • Renown: 58
  • Infamy: 50
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2012, 11:45:13 pm »
+2
I still want to know why it matters if people are offended?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=fHMoDt3nSHs#t=203s Steven Hughes explaining it.  :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 11:47:14 pm by Gricks »

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2012, 11:55:36 pm »
+3
who cares if people are offended

i am just going to go burn crosses on peoples lawns, draw swasticas on the cars and doors of jewish families, call the cops on every black person i see doing anything, and beat gay people to death

no big deal lol
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 937
  • Infamy: 1443
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2012, 11:58:42 pm »
Stop being a bitch and man up...

Does not compute

Offline Rainbow

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2012, 11:58:56 pm »

i am just going to go burn crosses on peoples lawns, draw swasticas on the cars and doors of jewish families, call the cops on every black person i see doing anything, and beat gay people to death

no big deal lol

thats great

Offline larlek

• Baron
  • Renown: 140
  • Infamy: 95
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Larlik PooperScooper Larlek
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2012, 11:59:13 pm »

no big deal lol

I once threw a pie in the face of a gay black jew. It was for some school party thing where people would do stupid shit for charity and what not. We had pie throwing cowboy duels and I won. Good times.

Offline Gricks

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2012, 12:02:58 am »

no big deal lol

Committing crimes and calling you a bundle of sticks are completely different. You should read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

Offline Ozin

• Duke
  • Renown: 584
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • IRC nick: Ozin
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2012, 12:11:34 am »
+1

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2012, 12:12:12 am »
I sometimes get reports from some spotters about people like this.

I log in, connect, mute them, disconnect and go about my daily business IRL.

People who discriminate (and mean it) do not deserve to right to speech in my opinion.

Rights only come from responsibilities and if you can't follow the basic responsibility of not being a shit head then your rights should get the boot.
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline Gricks

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2012, 12:32:42 am »
Well, as long as you think you have a moral highground on everyone frank. Limiting free speech because YOU think something is wrong is ignorant as fuck.