Author Topic: Is this bannable?  (Read 11858 times)

Offline Rainbow

• Count
  • Renown: 167
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Is this bannable?
« on: March 24, 2012, 10:45:28 pm »
I know racism is a strict no-no; however, i'm curious if calling me a "my old friend" is a bannable offense.  I've had multiple people go on and on about me being a my old friend and i've never really paid it any mind.  If I start screen shotting these things is it a waste of time or will there be consequences?  I'm always chill in games and know I don't deserve any of that silliness.  Let me know.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
Re: Is this bannable?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 10:47:22 pm »
While technically not racism, this is discrimination and hate speech, and in my experience it depends on the Admin in question. Personally I would mute them on their first offense.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Dexxtaa

• King
  • Renown: 1268
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Remnant_Dexxtaa
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 10:48:42 pm »
I sometimes get reports from some spotters about people like this.

I log in, connect, mute them, disconnect and go about my daily business IRL.

People who discriminate (and mean it) do not deserve to right to speech in my opinion.

Offline Rainbow

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 10:50:31 pm »
+1
I will start "i" reporting it then.  I don't think i've ever reported it before but it has been getting pretty thick lately so I thought I would mention it.  Thank you.

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 10:51:17 pm »
+2
use "i" chat to report to admins if you feel harassed or offended and a mute will usually be given out, if it happens a lot screenshot and post the logs and admins will take a look at it and make a decision based on the player's history, context, if they were warned before, severity, etc.

context matters, hate speech and racism is not allowed but saying "my old friend" when someone kills you in some annoying way or "my old friendcher" happens so often that it can't be expected to censor chat for every instance of this
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

Offline Rainbow

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 10:55:06 pm »
+1
Most of the time I just read over it because of the context of the word in use.  "Thats so gay"... "You're such a my old friend".  I don't like it but it unfortunatley has been accepted as a social norm so I take it with a grain of salt.  There have been definite instances where it has gone way beyond that directed right at me that can get under my skin but I typically still don't say anything.

Offline Argoth

• Count
  • Renown: 232
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Argoth
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 10:55:56 pm »
+9
OP is a bundle of sticks

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 10:56:24 pm »
NA yes
EU no

Offline Rainbow

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 10:57:05 pm »
+1

Offline larlek

• Baron
  • Renown: 140
  • Infamy: 95
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Larlik PooperScooper Larlek
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2012, 11:00:15 pm »
Some people take shit so seriously. Words don't mean anything untill you give them a meaning. If everyone could just take a step back and just chill out then we would be living in a much better world.

Anyway. Most people who say shit like that are either joking or trying to get a reaction. Warn them first. Mute them second and then follow up with a kick/ban if they carry on.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 11:01:30 pm by larlek »

Offline Lactating Vegetables

• Count
  • Renown: 280
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player
  • Pew Pew
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Quincy
  • Game nicks: Aurora/ Lactating Vegetables/ Aurora_Borealis/ Hirovard
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2012, 11:02:32 pm »
well they can't continue if they are muted  :lol:

Aurora makes me grab a shield every game!

Offline Rainbow

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2012, 11:04:23 pm »
+1
It always goes full circle to the "stop being so sensative" route.  Trust me, I am not sensative.  They are words blah blah blah.  Words are symbolic to meaning and that meaning ignites feeling.  I'm probably just super overly flamboyantly sensative. 

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2012, 11:06:37 pm »
+3
Most of the time I just read over it because of the context of the word in use.  "Thats so gay"... "You're such a my old friend".  I don't like it but it unfortunatley has been accepted as a social norm so I take it with a grain of salt.  There have been definite instances where it has gone way beyond that directed right at me that can get under my skin but I typically still don't say anything.

if someone is spamming the chat with bundle of sticks or being especially obnoxious and offensive i definitely won't hesitate to mute/kick/ban, but i am not gonna punish someone for saying RANGED IS GAY because its true

I have to admit I agree though, if you step back and appraise the casualness with which we use such terms nowadays, it is demeaning and basically marginalizing to groups of people, but videogame culture is probably the most immature of any, this community is probably the worst out of any videogame, and to expect such a shift in expectations and accountability in the thoughts and words of thousands of players is a task truly 2 great for any 1 admin

I suggest turning your efforts to ya know actual LGBT support groups, community outreach, writing to congressional representatives, actual things in the real world to fight discriminatory speech and actions in the hearts and minds of rednecks, bigots, and god-fearing homophobes across the country.. instead of lobbying for cRPG justice.  for our servers are just a microcosm of society at large
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 11:11:37 pm by Smoothrich »
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

Offline larlek

• Baron
  • Renown: 140
  • Infamy: 95
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Larlik PooperScooper Larlek
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2012, 11:11:52 pm »
I'm probably just super overly flamboyantly sensative.

Just stop qq'ing about what other people say or think and get on with playing your game. If they really hurt your sensative self that much then tell them to stop or you will report them to an admin. They will either stop or get muted for a while.

Offline Rainbow

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2012, 11:14:12 pm »
+2
Just stop qq'ing about what other people say or think and get on with playing your game. If they really hurt your sensative self that much then tell them to stop or you will report them to an admin. They will either stop or get muted for a while.

What do you suspect the purpose of this post was?  I have ignored it for a long time on Warband and I just dont want to completley ignore the severe instances of homophobia anymore.  Those who stand for nothing fall for everything.