Author Topic: Is this bannable?  (Read 11862 times)

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Is this bannable?
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2012, 01:51:12 am »
Sadly we're at a point where you get in trouble for using racial slurs but not for using the word my old friend. In my opinion, if you get in trouble for using racist words, then you should get in trouble for using that word also. Some admins use it too. CHAOS loves that word :P

You don't get banned for using friend or my old friend in a way that leaves no doubt about the irony of your phrase.

To learn what irony is, one easy to find, quite extreme example, is this site : http://www.shelleytherepublican.com/

Offline Kerrigan

• Knight
  • Renown: 71
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
  • WTF
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Kerrigan
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2012, 01:52:02 am »
+1
This is the internet. People talk shit on the internet. If you start getting offended by things that people say on the internet then oh my Science you are fucking things up for yourself. You would not be able to read about 80 percent of the internet anymore without sending emails or making threads about getting offended all the time. Don't make it too hard on yourself.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 01:53:20 am by Kerrigan »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Rainbow

• Count
  • Renown: 167
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2012, 03:24:01 am »
+1
This is the internet. People talk shit on the internet. If you start getting offended by things that people say on the internet then oh my Science you are fucking things up for yourself. You would not be able to read about 80 percent of the internet anymore without sending emails or making threads about getting offended all the time. Don't make it too hard on yourself.

Some people don't like getting pwned by this rainbow and they get very vocal about it.  I let my actions speak for me but now it's good to know admins will at least mute the overly abusive ones.  When I die i just hide in shame.  There are lines that shouldn't be crossed period.  I'm just glad through this thread that I have an idea where that line is.  :-).  Rainbows everywhere can rejoice in CRPG once again!

Offline Bothersome_Aldryk

• Baron
  • Renown: 124
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2012, 04:59:24 am »
I don't generally use epithets, but honestly, I do feel like the opening poster should perhaps get off the internet if he cannot develop a thicker skin. As much as people may dislike it, at this point the word has assumed an entirely different use in internet culture than the original meaning may have had. When people call someone a my old friend, they don't generally mean it as a demeaning slur towards homosexuality in general. They usually mean that X person is being a coward/baddy/unintelligent for Y reason.

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2012, 05:28:41 am »
As much as people may dislike it, at this point the word has assumed an entirely different use in internet culture than the original meaning may have had. When people call someone a my old friend, they don't generally mean it as a demeaning slur towards homosexuality in general. They usually mean that X person is being a coward/baddy/unintelligent for Y reason.

Pretty much this.

The word has evolved and the homosexual community does not have a lock on it. Similar to "What up mah niggah?".

The key is intent. That is open to interpretation.

It could be interpreted that by using the name "Rainbow" your intent is to garner troll harassment or insults against homosexuals.

One of my best friends died of AIDS a few years back. He used to get the shit kicked out of him growing up in Mississippi until he learned some Martial Arts and began fucking them up in return. I have a few ties to the gay community, including knowing someone who was at the Rainbow Lounge on THAT day. So I know from some direct sources about the harassment you can receive. I'm telling you this for context in what I am telling you now.

You won't change speech, but we can help you avoid being harassed. We will pursue and prevent those we find griefing other players from doing it. It is about the intent.

If you truly want to minimize the harassment though, I suggest you apply for a name change that doesn't invite (taunt?) the bigoted into attacking you personally.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Noctivagant

• Earl
  • Renown: 470
  • Infamy: 162
  • cRPG Player
  • I solve practical problems
    • View Profile
    • I never drank a six pack of warm beer
  • Faction: Mercenaries
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2012, 05:36:36 am »

Offline Jester

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2012, 05:38:37 am »
jesus fucking christ... people who play this game are such babies. either stop being so gay to the point people are calling you a my old friend all the time, or STOP TALKING... OR go play some nice single player game where your overly sensitive ass wont get insulted, preferably an E for everyone rated game so you can be safe.

btw you are overly sensitive if you are coming here and posting about it and reporting people for it. stop QQ, more pew pew.
Dexxtaa: "Rudeness. I get frustrated with a lot of things, but nothing gets me more than some uneducated nudnuk being completely rude to me.

This is a game, but for god sake, these are real people behind these avatars. Please try to be nice to each other."

Offline Blueberry Muffin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 749
  • Infamy: 119
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2012, 05:40:43 am »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PAJNntoRgA

WISE MAN SPEAK CLEVER WORDS! MANY GAYS ARE MILITARY!
Lizard_Man: Fuck all that! Rather buy me 4 cans of Stella..
Cymro: Wife beater stella
Lizard_Man: It'll get ya drunk! You'll be fucking fat girls in no time! You might even fight a nigga or two! Mmmm-mmm, bitch!

Offline Dahobo

• Noble
  • Renown: 19
  • Infamy: 10
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2012, 05:41:20 am »
How is my old friend a bad term to use?
my old friend, a colloquialism for cigarette
my old friend, a junior boy who acts or acted as servant ("my old friendging") to a senior boy at a British independent school

I am unable to see the problem with the word.

Offline Noctivagant

• Earl
  • Renown: 470
  • Infamy: 162
  • cRPG Player
  • I solve practical problems
    • View Profile
    • I never drank a six pack of warm beer
  • Faction: Mercenaries
« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2012, 05:44:45 am »
+1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ItF0CcJBN4 "mom...this one looks like uncle roy"

Offline larlek

• Baron
  • Renown: 140
  • Infamy: 95
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Larlik PooperScooper Larlek
« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2012, 05:49:30 am »
How is my old friend a bad term to use?
my old friend, a colloquialism for cigarette
my old friend, a junior boy who acts or acted as servant ("my old friendging") to a senior boy at a British independent school

I am unable to see the problem with the word.

Murricans, lad. They're a weird bunch. To them. A my old friend is a term used for a man who likes penis and arseholes. A buttbandit.

Offline Tomas_of_Miles

• Count
  • Renown: 263
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player
  • Inactive
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Rusty mercenary siege engineer
  • Game nicks: Something with Tomas in it
« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2012, 06:03:17 am »
Interesting topic. At the end of the day banning someone for expressing their (possibly bigoted and offensive to a party) opinion isn't going to solve much. If it is a repeat offence after being warned I'd say it's worth punishment. However the whole thing is a deeper issue that roots itself in lack of responsibility over the internet from a reduced fear of repercussions. But here's where we can change things, these forum threads.

Examples for thought:
Should you punish someone if they call someone who turns out to have a mental condition a 'retard/sperg' for some kind of mistake they made in-game?

Should you punish someone who calls another player a 'fucking friend/nigga' on the basis that their character is black and killed them (rage), if that person is black themselves?

How about a person gloating over another they have defeated in-game using fairly fresh historical events such as genocide as comparisons, where the party the comment is aimed at turns out to have suffered second-hand from aforementioned event?   

*edit*
Personally I don't think it should be ignored/just taken. Warnings and punishments should be issued, with explanations. But also dead chat is a good place to debate these things. Imho.  :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 06:04:55 am by Tomas_of_Miles »
Professional poop cleaner

Offline Miley

• Duke
  • Renown: 604
  • Infamy: 327
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2012, 06:27:13 am »
The term my old friend is such a broad term and has several different meanings and feelings behind it, while most racial epithets do not.  And steve hughes said it best, it really is subjective.

And there is no such thing as free speech on a gaming server, the owner of it has every right to regulate it in whatever way he wishes. If chadz wants to ban people for saying "pudding", there is nothing stopping him.

With that said, there is nothing stopping you from boycotting the server and seeking out other pudding-friendly alternatives.

And to other people who said something like this:

Do people always use the "n" word and things like that TO BE RACIST? No, yet they get in trouble.

Offline Rainbow

• Count
  • Renown: 167
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2012, 06:55:45 am »
+1
I love how people again chalk it up for sensative.  There are certain instances and lines that are crossed where it is no longer acceptable.  I hear it every other word in vent and when people type but I understand the context.  The word itself in the context "that guy is a my old friend" is whatever because it is accepted as a social norm.  I am talking about relentless harassment which has happened here and there where it gets out of hand.  Now this happens extremely infrequently but i just wanted to know what the punishment was.  It isn't me being sensative.  I even get called a my old friend in the context of stupid all the time and I let that go.  I am talking about the deeper shit that is just melicious.  The instances where people go out of there way to try to make something happen.  Next time one of these instances come up; i'll screen shot it.

Offline AntiBlitz

• Duke
  • Renown: 636
  • Infamy: 187
  • cRPG Player
  • American Scum
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2012, 07:12:25 am »
+3
i normally try not to post too often, but eh whatev this is one of those topics.....

Technically speaking calling someone a name like that over the internet is a form of electronic harassment and is indeed a crime................sooo ya, to whom ever said it wasnt, please go eat a dick......yep i said it.......please try and disprove it...........i do this for a living derp..........

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/jamey-rodemeyer-suicide-ny-police-open-criminal-investigation/story?id=14580832#.T26pz9V418E
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 07:15:31 am by AntiBlitz »