Author Topic: the horse crossbowman problem/motf  (Read 10706 times)

Offline ArchonAlarion

• Baron
  • Renown: 98
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Late 15th cen. English Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ArchonAlarion, DON'T_WAKE_GRANDPA, NASTY_TURTLE, UNARMED_CLASS_ DON'T_BAN_PLS, et al.
Re: the horse crossbowman problem/motf
« Reply #120 on: March 30, 2012, 06:09:51 pm »
This. The deluge mod has similiar system when it comes to reloading pistols on horseback. Ride too fast and the reloading cancels. I guess this wouldn't hurt too much but would still make them a bit more easily reachable.

It would make them more like mobile snipers, which is what they should be.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 06:11:31 pm by ArchonAlarion »

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #121 on: March 30, 2012, 10:13:20 pm »
This. The deluge mod has similiar system when it comes to reloading pistols on horseback. Ride too fast and the reloading cancels. I guess this wouldn't hurt too much but would still make them a bit more easily reachable.

It would make them more like mobile snipers, which is what they should be.

They don't take the fastest horses, they use the most maneuverable. They are dancers, not sprinters. I don't think this would make much of a difference for the competent ones  :idea:
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline ArchonAlarion

• Baron
  • Renown: 98
  • Infamy: 54
  • Late 15th cen. English Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ArchonAlarion, DON'T_WAKE_GRANDPA, NASTY_TURTLE, UNARMED_CLASS_ DON'T_BAN_PLS, et al.
« Reply #122 on: March 30, 2012, 11:12:57 pm »
Yeah it would. They'd have to escape to somewhere safe before reloading.

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #123 on: March 31, 2012, 08:37:15 pm »
Yeah it would. They'd have to escape to somewhere safe before reloading.

No they wouldn't. You are talking about the nubs who don't know how to play the class, spend time at the edge of the map shooting perpendicular, and go 0-1 while drawing out the rounds. MOTF for them. They don't need a counter because they don't engage  :shock:
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 31, 2012, 09:32:50 pm »
Rarely ever see horse crossbowmen in EU, so I was wondering, do they ever end up in the top areas of the scoreboard?

Imo, the MOTF should just spawn as soon as there is a 5:1 ratio of players on the team. Forces the fight, which is basically lost for the 1 team, to be concentrated and end quickly. This does not at all prevent the underdog team to snag an epic victory, but does prevent the minutes long wait of seeing a HA/HC firing potshots at a group of enemies he will never beat.

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 31, 2012, 09:37:28 pm »
Rarely ever see horse crossbowmen in EU, so I was wondering, do they ever end up in the top areas of the scoreboard?

Imo, the MOTF should just spawn as soon as there is a 5:1 ratio of players on the team. Forces the fight, which is basically lost for the 1 team, to be concentrated and end quickly. This does not at all prevent the underdog team to snag an epic victory, but does prevent the minutes long wait of seeing a HA/HC firing potshots at a group of enemies he will never beat.

Yes, the better ones (only a very small amount) can get 20+ kills a map, decent ones at least a 2:1 kd, while shutting down enemy cav with ease and doing lots of damage all around.  The xbow's rate of fire and all of that is worse than a HA that's for sure but that isn't their speciality.  They simply manage to get a bullshit build that HA's cant.  10 riding, 5 HA, 10 WM.  10 riding on a champion arabian is pretty damn crazy, hard to track, does a ton of bump damage.. shouldn't be viable to build that way imo
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

Offline Leman_Russ

• Knight
  • Renown: 58
  • Infamy: 13
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 31, 2012, 10:17:17 pm »
+1
Yes, the better ones (only a very small amount) can get 20+ kills a map, decent ones at least a 2:1 kd, while shutting down enemy cav with ease and doing lots of damage all around.  The xbow's rate of fire and all of that is worse than a HA that's for sure but that isn't their speciality.  They simply manage to get a bullshit build that HA's cant.  10 riding, 5 HA, 10 WM.  10 riding on a champion arabian is pretty damn crazy, hard to track, does a ton of bump damage.. shouldn't be viable to build that way imo

Sounds like Smoothrich has a sore rear.  :D

Offline Slamz

• Earl
  • Renown: 386
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Norse Horde
  • Game nicks: NH_Slamz
« Reply #127 on: March 31, 2012, 10:20:44 pm »

Yes.  Although someone in this thread claimed only he can do it, you can log on when they're around and usually the top 2 killers are HX and all of the HX will be somewhere in the upper part of the scoreboard.

The problem is really the "unkillable" part.  They just ride around taking potshots and snapping up random kills but, unlike lancer cav, there's no direct way to counter them.  You can't just bring a pike next round and ward them off as you can with normal cav.  If you bring an archer they'll just avoid your part of the map and kill other people.  Eventually the archer, who is squishy, dies from something random and then the HX will start picking you apart again.  If it's an open field map you're probably screwed.  You can't catch them.  Even if you end up having plenty of archers left at the end of the round, now it's just pot-shots vs pot-shots and the HX are far more maneuverable.  They will get another kill or two from finishing off some wounded guy and now you have no motf.

In the end what will probably save us is boredom.  It's probably the least exciting way to play the game and once the trollishness wears off, they'll move on to something else.
Crush your enemies; see them driven before you; hear the lamentations of their women.
Norse Horde

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 01, 2012, 12:51:56 am »
Oh yes ofcourse, the lack of a str based skill for crossbowman has always been a weird thing to me. If I only wouldn't have to grind to try a horse based build on a stf I would try it. Sounds like fun  8-)

Offline ROHYPNOL

• Earl
  • Renown: 361
  • Infamy: 127
  • Poor Washing Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 01, 2012, 01:46:26 am »
Oh by top of scoreboards you must mean MrDICK and SODOMY which mrdick is also me... my bad archers cant aim.. when clearly the ones that can have no problem shooting me down.. dont make excuses for your lack of skill..
Quote from: Jeade
you're rough around the edges.
This is the reason people don't like you if anyone ever did.

Offline Slamz

• Earl
  • Renown: 386
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Norse Horde
  • Game nicks: NH_Slamz
« Reply #130 on: April 01, 2012, 06:52:11 am »
Oh by top of scoreboards you must mean MrDICK and SODOMY which mrdick is also me... my bad archers cant aim.. when clearly the ones that can have no problem shooting me down.. dont make excuses for your lack of skill..

Troll attempt: 0/10.  Poor effort.

So apparently, what you're saying, is that all archers are terrible.  There are absolutely no good archers online ever, which is why HX are so frequently topping the charts.  Not because HX have no counter but because every single cRPG archer is a bad player.  If they were good, they could outrun your mount and chase you down and shoot you with arrows even as you attempt to move to avoid them and dodge around on your Arabian.

... good try.
(click to show/hide)
Crush your enemies; see them driven before you; hear the lamentations of their women.
Norse Horde

Offline BADPLAYERold

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 362
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: PRO
  • Game nicks: BADPLAYER
« Reply #131 on: April 01, 2012, 07:19:36 am »
the only horse xbow that does well is rohypnol (well i guess ss_sodomy does ok as well but not anywhere near as good as rohypnol)
the guys saying to nerf horse xbow are idiots, if roh was any other class he would do just as well or with most classes better he is just very good at the game having played a long time.

and yes most archers are bad, theres maybe 5 archers that i care to watch out for and id imagine its the same for most cav (and i dont just mean when i ride my armoured horse).
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 07:20:44 am by BADPLAYER »

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 01, 2012, 07:33:32 am »
Regardless of the merits of individual skill of archers or horse xbows, I still think 10 riding 5 HA as a viable build is kind of BS, it gives a very strong advantage to the rider if they are using a champion arabian especially. 
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

Offline RibaldRon

• Baron
  • Renown: 144
  • Infamy: 13
  • cRPG Player
  • why do butts
    • View Profile
  • Faction: LLJK
  • Game nicks: LLJK_RibaldRon
« Reply #133 on: April 01, 2012, 08:01:01 am »
+1
ROHYP makes any build he plays annoying as @#$%, that's just what he does.

BUT a lot of the builds are not really that annoying to start with.  He is annoying to fight, picks pretty much the most overpowered weapon to go with, and just rolls.

That said he is really only capable of being the last alive and "delaying" as HX.  Most HX are just TERRIBLE and pretty much accomplish nothing.  But they would accomplish nothing, possibly even less, as a different build.

(I support keeping HA/HX but forcing MOTF to spawn at around 1:30 remaining)
signature removed: annoying

USA USA USA

Offline ROHYPNOL

• Earl
  • Renown: 361
  • Infamy: 127
  • Poor Washing Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 01, 2012, 03:14:31 pm »
+1
i agree with badplayer very much on the archer situation.. most arches are very bad.. i can name about 5 like he said and that i stated above there are a few that do not have a problem shooting me down.. 10 riding maybe annoying along with the HA skills too.. but what can you do? nerf both riding skill and ha and make them completly equal to eachother? now that would be dumb.. most horse archers have double the hit points that hx have, if not more.. they also fire 3 times faster.. if they can connected with 1 out of the 3 then it stops the reload on the hx.. and basically with 2 or 3 good shots kills the hx.. thats why hx has to be faster to get away.. as far as it goes with me.. they are not going to nerf this, and even if it is nerfed, it will make all the other hx completely obsolete and guess what.. ill still make you guys cry with it LOL
Quote from: Jeade
you're rough around the edges.
This is the reason people don't like you if anyone ever did.