Offline Blashyrkh

• Peasant
  • Renown: 9
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Mauls
« Reply #105 on: April 03, 2012, 11:25:02 am »
personaly i think that the mauls need some work done, I really don't mind they have crushthrough but on the other hand how come polearms and other 2h axes don't have it? i bet your ass that a really strong person can cleave through a shield if standing stationary?
the other thing that is bothering me its a problem in Warband itself, when someone miss his swing with a maul and then just turns and still hits you and get a crushthrough hit? maybe lowering crushthrough %? you gotta remember that shields we used so people deflected the blows not just to stand with the shield accepting the swing.

well my whine post is complete, nothing will be done about it ... so cya in game :D
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 11:26:05 am by Blashyrkh »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #106 on: April 03, 2012, 12:45:46 pm »
personaly i think that the mauls need some work done, I really don't mind they have crushthrough but on the other hand how come polearms and other 2h axes don't have it? i bet your ass that a really strong person can cleave through a shield if standing stationary?

Because large and relatively fast weapons with crushthrough with be horribly overpowered? Even if the damage from the crush would be low, you could still be able to crush through lock someone with a large and fast weapon.

the other thing that is bothering me its a problem in Warband itself, when someone miss his swing with a maul and then just turns and still hits you and get a crushthrough hit?

It's a warband bug that one. You can also hit through blocks with any other weapon using the same move. Hit to the side, drag it in near the ground, bypass block. Silly.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 03, 2012, 02:56:38 pm »
+2
I really don't mind they have crushthrough but on the other hand how come polearms and other 2h axes don't have it?

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2860
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 03, 2012, 03:58:52 pm »
I really don't mind they have crushthrough but on the other hand how come polearms and other 2h axes don't have it?

Bar Mace had crushthrough, you don't want to know whats that like...

Long Iron Maul as well. Before, them Morningstar lost CT, Bec also...

The less CT weapons the better. Problem with Great Maul isn't just CT, Great Maul also has knockdown tag which means even if you can survive one overhead from STR char, you end up on the ground where you can't do shit. So basically, Great Maul is one hit weapon, actually it would be better to say that you can make only one mistake when facing Great Maul user. Spam is the key against it but sadly some people (like me) can't spam because of ping which goes up and down and cancel immediate second swing in a row...

Offline v/onMega

• Count
  • Renown: 234
  • Infamy: 67
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bearzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_vMega
« Reply #109 on: April 03, 2012, 04:52:41 pm »
The lovers got some arguements, the haters too.

Now, as mentioned, CT weapons are a rare sight. Gnjus kicked of a little wave (totally give him that) attracting ppl. To play as a mauler, that wont last long though.

Maulers will remain a rare sight.

The contrast between a gmauls pro's and its cons is only matched by a long spear and a pike.

Whenever you die by these weapons in a battle you:

Lacked awareness
Picked your fight wrong
Don't know your weapon
Dont know that you can right swing spam most maulers

etc.

How many really good maulers do you see? Less then a handful.

In fact if you carefully follow the list above, you ll always be on top of a mauler...but be sure, the mauler has to play it by the same parameters, just according to his weapon.

So please, dont make this all sound like being a good mauler is sooooo easy. It simply isn t.

I exclude a defensive situation in siege. Yes, having a maul there makes it easy. But thats about it.

Offline Coward

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 03, 2012, 05:32:02 pm »
Polestagger mauler when he land his attacks...
cRPG TV (Can You Spot Yourself In This Video?)
https://youtu.be/EvALbo0G-nA

Offline Kalp

• Marshall
  • Renown: 750
  • Infamy: 253
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Form ranks, you maggots!
    • View Profile
    • Kahhhaaargaar!!! Uuurrr!!!
  • Faction: Grey Order
  • Game nicks: Kalp_the_Grey
  • IRC nick: Kalp
« Reply #111 on: April 03, 2012, 08:04:27 pm »
The goal of Strategus battles shouldnt be to deprive your enemies of players, but to have full roster both sides and have the gear/tactics/strategy win the day rather than lack of merc support.

Offline Fartface

• Earl
  • Renown: 476
  • Infamy: 288
  • cRPG Player
  • Centurii
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Deathcore,Djentcore,Deathmetal,Brutal,Slam
  • Game nicks: Growling,Grunting,Screaming,Squeeling
  • IRC nick: Fuck I love it.
« Reply #112 on: April 04, 2012, 01:16:23 pm »
Well i'm a deticated mauler.
With 39 str and only 3 agi , I'm realy powerfull alot of onehits but realy slow . But ye in certrain maps it's easy for me to get the 20-1 score but at other maps il get cav fucked alotttt I'm to slow to dodge a good cav man couching and i got no defense against one hander cav and lancer cav can keep bumping me till death:S

Offline Akynos

• Earl
  • Renown: 369
  • Infamy: 157
  • cRPG Player
  • Is now an agiwhore :*(
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Skono, Rollmops
« Reply #113 on: April 06, 2012, 05:53:05 pm »
+1
I have played mauler with an alt not so long ago. If anything,I'd say the maul is OP on the chambering time; let me explain:

Whenever I fight against a mauler, I often get CT'ed once, but I then never have time to attack back: As soon as I am hit once,
I'm done, the guy just has to keep pounding me down with an overhead.

When you actually think about it, the force that goes down to crush is enormous: By so, it should take quite some time for the mauler to actually be able to rechamber the overhead, and to be honest, enough time so that a mauler can't crushspam. Only agi 1h seem to be able to hit back after being crushed once.
For me, the maul shouldn't be a weapon for mass spam: It should be a deadly weapon with a one-time usage. For comparaison, in shooter games, it would be the shotgun. And currently, It feels like this 'shotgun' shoots as fast as a machine gun.

So don't get me wrong, don't change CT or anything, not even weapon speed, because then the general speed of the weapon would be decreased, and that wouldn't be balanced. The only thing I would change is the chambering time.It could be done by adding a slight stun on the mauler once he swung the weapon, or if there is one, a longer one.

As for gameplay, it will be simple: You hit once with your GM. You can't spam the guy out: Your chamber is too slow, so you'll have to either 1 shot him or fall back and try to find an opening. To compensate, I think a slight buff to the damage would be fair.

So in a nutshell, here is my idea for a change on the Great Maul: Increase chambering time, increase slightly the damage ( like 2 more blunt base damage).Believe me, this will make the gameplay much more interesting for maulers who will then try sneak attacks more often, and avoid the silly raging we all get when we get spammed by a GM.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 05:54:51 pm by Akynos »
Kudos to Kulin_Ban for the video

Offline HUSTLER

• Noble
  • Renown: 19
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 06, 2012, 06:06:23 pm »
Akynos what your asking for is silly because u forgot how hard it is to get close enough an perform a overhead on anyone who aint a complete noob..

Also you idea would make the maul useless because it´s really hard to perform good with a maul outside siege an it takes some really good timing just to get that 1 overhead in on an aware opponent..

I don't see any reason to change the way mauls work currently its fine only victims are lasy people an noobs who dont know how to counter it..

On contrary to what new players think the maul is a High risk High reward kinda weapon.. If not taking standing on some choke point on siege into account..  :?

Stop nerfing shit, learn to counter a weapons strengths and learn some tactics.

Its a 68 reach weapon with 80 speed rating its pretty simple to counter by basically doing the easy Backwalk an spam just about any weapon can outspam a maul..

« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 06:21:46 pm by HUSTLER »
Stop nerfing shit, learn to counter a weapons strengths and learn some tactics.

Offline Akynos

• Earl
  • Renown: 369
  • Infamy: 157
  • cRPG Player
  • Is now an agiwhore :*(
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Skono, Rollmops
« Reply #115 on: April 06, 2012, 06:24:48 pm »
Akynos what your asking for is silly because u forgot how hard it is to get close enough an perform a overhead on anyone who aint a complete noob..

Also you idea would make the maul useless because it´s really hard to perform good with a maul outside siege an it takes some really good timing just to get that 1 overhead in on an aware opponent..

No it isn't. It is not difficult to hit someone, and not only complete noobs fall for it. I agree that siege makes it easier because of the narrow corridors and such, but it is the same for battle in a town. Heck, it may even be easier on battle, as long as you stay with your group: You don't get ganked and you get free kills whenever someone steps too close. it's sometimes hard to spot a mauler behind a line of shielders.
So no, mauler is not so hard to play. I had an alt mauler, and I used to top the scoreboard regulary, and I'm not such a great player. I didn't need to block, just to keep masturbating my mouse upwards and downwards while clicking. The only thing I needed to do was to 'aim' at the guy.

Sure, if you play against a good player, you won't have such an easy time. But then again, it's not mean to be, right? What I mean is, you can be as strong as you can, if you get hit just once, you're very possibly done, because the guy will just keep maulspamming, no matter how good you are. Hit once ==> dead.
I don't really go for a change in Gm: to me, it's pretty balanced. But if a change is to be made, it wouldn't be about the CT, it would be about the chamber speed only, and that would still be a slight change. I think GM is slightly OP. Of course it is a hard weapon, of course if you are a noob you won't get far, of course you get to kill noobs easely. But that is the same with every other weapon. Hope you understand that :)
Kudos to Kulin_Ban for the video