• cRPG Player
  • What too write here?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigåde
  • Game nicks: KuoiN, Ziath
  • IRC nick: Simply Kuoin
Re: Mauls
« Reply #60 on: March 19, 2012, 10:22:30 pm »
I fucking hate maulers, can't block overheads if the guy got 7 ps, wich almost every mauler has.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline B3RS3RK

• Earl
  • Renown: 377
  • Infamy: 103
  • cRPG Player
  • Sexy and I know it.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Saracen_Berserkaziz_Amir
« Reply #61 on: March 19, 2012, 10:31:24 pm »
My bad.

I dont really see a solution for your problem other than abolishing mauls from siege(Although I personally have never experienced such serious problems with maulers on siege), which, hands down, would be a bit drastic.
Maybe it woud be better for me to find out where you life and kill you when you are satch a Soziopath. You have enough now.
"I don´t believe in anything, I´m just here for the violence."

Offline Laufknoten

• Earl
  • Renown: 480
  • Infamy: 63
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
  • BOAT OF ANGER FLOATING ON THE SEA OF TEARS
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Felipe
« Reply #62 on: March 19, 2012, 10:34:35 pm »
I think most of the people don't have problems with maulers, just as most people don't have problems with archers. Still they whine or complain. I get rarely killed by maulers, because they're quite rare. Still I don't like them, because they require nothing more than 20 str, no wpf, no skill, just the 20 str you need to be able to equip the weapon. The long maul is okay, it's freaking slow and you have to use timing and footwork to be good with it. But the great maul is a weapon even a mentally retarded chimp would be good with. God damnit, they are called lolhammers for a reason...
The other mauls are okay though.   

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
« Reply #63 on: March 19, 2012, 10:35:08 pm »
+3
Yes, maulers have some weaknesses in the open field, but they are just too strong on siege defense.

I know right, I mean how dare an item be very strong in a very specific niche instance!

Same with damn pikes, in the open field against a single horseman pikes are like mega OP at rearing horses!

Against stationary targets archers can like be mega OP at hitting them from ranged, while the stationary target can't attack back!
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline IR_Kuoin

• King
  • Renown: 1761
  • Infamy: 331
  • cRPG Player
  • What too write here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 19, 2012, 10:46:44 pm »
On siege:

On every ladder etc. there are 1 - 3 maulers ganking around

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #65 on: March 19, 2012, 11:15:26 pm »
I know right, I mean how dare an item be very strong in a very specific niche instance!

Same with damn pikes, in the open field against a single horseman pikes are like mega OP at rearing horses!

Against stationary targets archers can like be mega OP at hitting them from ranged, while the stationary target can't attack back!

Cav can avoid pikers and be successful, attackers can't avoid ladders and doorways in siege without leeching. Defending a castle from siege isn't a "niche instance"; half the server is doing it at any given time.

Come to NA siege when Occitan is playing defense and tell me there isn't a problem with mauls. Their 5-6 maulers could easily repel 5x that number of attackers, by standing stationary and performing a single attack repeatedly. Other clans and random folks are starting to pick up on this insta-win tactic. Extrapolate out the current situation (every pole and 2h player spawning with a maul on siege defense), and everyone will just quit playing siege.

My best suggestion for a fix is to implement a stamina bar that depletes as a function of weapon weight. Would be hard for the devs to implement though.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 11:20:13 pm by Phew »

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #66 on: March 19, 2012, 11:50:12 pm »
+1
Yeah I suggested stamina a while back for all weapons (when people were brainstorming ways to buff agility).  That seems to be lacking in this game for all attacks.  But it wouldn't necessarily be based on agility alone because obviously the stronger you are, the longer you can swing heavy objects around.  It would need some heaving tweaking to be viable.

That being said, it would also be nice if stamina was added to horses based on their "breed" and how much weight they are carrying (rider's equipment weight + horses armor if it has any). 

The thing is though, even if both of these could be implemented, it would completely change how people are used to playing warband.  This is more one of those things I wish taleworlds implemented from the start, or in a patch.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 11:51:24 pm by CrazyCracka420 »
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #67 on: March 20, 2012, 12:50:51 am »
Yeah I suggested stamina a while back for all weapons (when people were brainstorming ways to buff agility).  That seems to be lacking in this game for all attacks.  But it wouldn't necessarily be based on agility alone because obviously the stronger you are, the longer you can swing heavy objects around.  It would need some heaving tweaking to be viable.

That being said, it would also be nice if stamina was added to horses based on their "breed" and how much weight they are carrying (rider's equipment weight + horses armor if it has any). 

The thing is though, even if both of these could be implemented, it would completely change how people are used to playing warband.  This is more one of those things I wish taleworlds implemented from the start, or in a patch.

It wouldn't have to be based on a particular stat, everyone could have the same stamina reserve and regen rate. Or strength could increase the size of the pool, agility regen rate. Swings and holds would consume stamina based on the weapon weight. Wouldn't change much other than force people to be more selective with their swings. An extra bonus is that it would reduce teamwounds.

Offline SirProto

• Noble
  • Renown: 21
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
  • professional shot-misser
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: B0LT, pr0to
« Reply #68 on: March 20, 2012, 02:33:28 am »
I blocked a maul today with a pike. WITH A PIKE. I felt like a wizard.  :mrgreen:
(click to show/hide)

Offline Diomedes

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
  • Cat
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sootnik_Diomedes
« Reply #69 on: March 20, 2012, 03:51:35 am »
Is it impossible to chamber mauls?  Just wondering.  It's an unreasonable standard to expect every player to chamber, but it seems to me that if a ladder is guarded by a mauler then somebody should just chamber the mauler.

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
« Reply #70 on: March 20, 2012, 03:59:52 am »
Cav can avoid pikers and be successful, attackers can't avoid ladders and doorways in siege without leeching. Defending a castle from siege isn't a "niche instance"; half the server is doing it at any given time.

Come to NA siege when Occitan is playing defense and tell me there isn't a problem with mauls. Their 5-6 maulers could easily repel 5x that number of attackers, by standing stationary and performing a single attack repeatedly. Other clans and random folks are starting to pick up on this insta-win tactic. Extrapolate out the current situation (every pole and 2h player spawning with a maul on siege defense), and everyone will just quit playing siege.

My best suggestion for a fix is to implement a stamina bar that depletes as a function of weapon weight. Would be hard for the devs to implement though.

Pick up a crossbow.
Pick up..ANY longer ranged weapon.
Don't charge forward up the ladder like a lemming.

Congratulations, you've just countered the maul defense.

Scenario 2: they are around a corner up the ladder with overheads ready.  Upblock and run through like a champ, they can't get all of you due to the slow speed of the overhead and likely 2 hits required to kill.

Is it impossible to chamber mauls?  Just wondering.  It's an unreasonable standard to expect every player to chamber, but it seems to me that if a ladder is guarded by a mauler then somebody should just chamber the mauler.
You can chamber a maul just like any other weapon, but they can still crushthrough your chamber, so you'll end up taking the hit first anyways rendering the attempt moot.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 04:02:35 am by MrShine »
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 20, 2012, 08:19:50 am »
I blocked a maul today with a pike. WITH A PIKE. I felt like a wizard.  :mrgreen:

Yep happened to me when I tried to maul a piker. I guess the 3 weight on pike really helps if the mauler has 7 PS.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 20, 2012, 08:44:57 am »
If maulers are so OP in siege defense, why do attackers still mostly win?
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Old_Sir_Agor

• Baron
  • Renown: 85
  • Infamy: 65
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: DenBitre_Sir_Agor
« Reply #73 on: March 20, 2012, 08:53:19 am »
If maulers are so OP in siege defense, why do attackers still mostly win?

on eu mostly won defenders, because when maulers and ranged camp ladders it is hell gate for attackers :twisted:
shooting at people from a reachable place as last man standing is not delaying. Even if you're on the other side of the map.

Offline IR_Kuoin

• King
  • Renown: 1761
  • Infamy: 331
  • cRPG Player
  • What too write here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 20, 2012, 09:17:39 am »
Nerf maul! Yesterday I was using my plate armor, 54 body armor, and a guy with a maul 1 hit me with full health. The guy had 12PS but c'mon, thats silly that a fully plate man can get 1 hit by a mauler, AND I also had 7 IF (70) hitpoints