Author Topic: Ghost-Range  (Read 2636 times)

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2066
  • Infamy: 1021
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
Re: Ghost-Range
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2012, 12:08:15 am »
I'm sure he's not talking about swings, but the effective length of the weapon.

Elite Scimitar, for example, seems a bit longer than it actually looks.

Wrong. But it hits before the model you see. Same goes for most curved blades and some polearms (probably because of some animation bug).

Offline Lactose_the_intolerant

• Earl
  • Renown: 460
  • Infamy: 71
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Byzantium the intolerant, lactose_the_...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2012, 12:14:22 am »
Wrong. But it hits before the model you see. Same goes for most curved blades and some polearms (probably because of some animation bug).

what he said

it has been shown that weapons like elite scimitar is seen as a curved blade but in the game mechanics, it is considered as a classical straight sword( not precisely that but i cant be bothered to get you a picture to explain). Therefor the spammitar will hit you slightly before the sword graphicly makes contact with your character
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 12:15:52 am by Lactose_the_intolerant »

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2012, 01:52:18 am »
+1
no weapons currently have ghost reach. All of their hitboxes are as long as (or in some cases very slightly shorter than) their models.
You're just judging distance poorly/not perceiving the length animations add.
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline oprah_winfrey

• Marshall
  • Renown: 808
  • Infamy: 196
  • cRPG Player
  • Now look under your seat...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: JABONRA
  • Game nicks: Egan
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2012, 02:08:39 am »
no weapons currently have ghost reach. All of their hitboxes are as long as (or in some cases very slightly shorter than) their models.
You're just judging distance poorly/not perceiving the length animations add.

The scimitar has a longer range then it appears. The game measures it at 100 length straight, so under the game mechanics it has the same range as an arabian guard sword (100), but in game, the curved nature of the scimi modelmakes it appear as if it is shorter since in reality it is shorter.

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2012, 06:30:01 am »
+2
The scimitar has a longer range then it appears. The game measures it at 100 length straight, so under the game mechanics it has the same range as an arabian guard sword (100), but in game, the curved nature of the scimi modelmakes it appear as if it is shorter since in reality it is shorter.
Nope. The dev's showed pictures regarding this.
The only thing that curved blade does is make it seem to hit oh so slightly earlier than it does, there is no extra reach. I'm not going to search for the post though.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2012, 03:03:07 pm »
+1
Okay this is lame paint done in 2 secs but it illustrates the concept.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The grey line is what you see, the red line is where it actually hits. There is no ghost range, just that it hits before the graphic.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2012, 03:38:33 pm »
There are just a few weapons that surprise me with their range everytime. And I think there is definitely some ghostreach for some models.

I'll just leave it at that to prevent ridicule. I'll see if I can do some tests some time.

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2012, 04:10:27 pm »
+1
Go on Duel Server. Equip an Elite Scimitar, grab a friend with an Arabian Guard Sword. Do left swings and slowly approach each other.

Both of you will start hitting each other at the exact same distance, because both swords are 100 length. Every weapon in the game has the exact reach listed on the equipment screen, modified by the swing animation reach bonus/penalty.

Curved weapons behave a little differently than you would think based on their MODEL, but no differently from their listed stats. I think the OP is just mad that ::gasp:: he may have to execute a block against certain 1-handers before he starts mindlessly swinging away.

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2012, 04:21:54 pm »
+1
chadz should make it impossible to be ingame an alt tab an post on the forums at the sametime.

Would reduce alt tab rage threads  :lol:
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline n445

• Knight
  • Renown: 40
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2012, 04:28:11 pm »
I may be wrong about this. But what about...:

Sword + Arm length = ?

Like I said, tell me if I'm wrong.
01000001 01110010 01110100 01111001 01101111 01101101 01000010 01110010 01100101 01100111 01101101 01100001 01101110 00000000 000000000000000001000001 01110010 01110100 01111001 01101111 01101101 00000000 0000000001001001 01110100 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01001011 01110010 01101111 011011

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2012, 04:34:36 pm »
I may be wrong about this. But what about...:

Sword + Arm length = ?

Like I said, tell me if I'm wrong.
that's what we're referring to with animation lengths.

Offline Lactose_the_intolerant

• Earl
  • Renown: 460
  • Infamy: 71
  • Byzantium the intolerant, lactose_the_...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2012, 05:38:47 pm »
Okay this is lame paint done in 2 secs but it illustrates the concept.

The grey line is what you see, the red line is where it actually hits. There is no ghost range, just that it hits before the graphic.

he did what i couldnt be bothered doing when i posted

Offline _JoG_

• Noble
  • Renown: 20
  • Infamy: 9
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Swordsman for hire
  • Game nicks: Givi
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2012, 05:51:23 pm »
+1
There are just a few weapons that surprise me with their range everytime. And I think there is definitely some ghostreach for some models.

I'll just leave it at that to prevent ridicule. I'll see if I can do some tests some time.
1. Download OpenBrf.
2. Open the mod .brf files and find the right weapon mesh.
3. Measure its length.
4. PROFIT!!!

cRPG devs did a great job by adjusting ingame length of the weapons to the length of their meshes. I know it because I double checked the length of some Native weapon meshes for another mod and compared it with cRPG data. However, I guess cRPG devs made a mistake during the calculation of shield size - all heater and kite cRPG shields are actually smaller (shorter, the width is OK) than they are supposed to be. It's really easy to make that mistake, because the formula for calculating size of the shields in the module system is by no means straightforward, I personally had to do a lot of research to find it out.

In contrast to M&B Native, there's no such thing as "ghost reach" in cRPG.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 05:57:24 pm by _JoG_ »

Offline Tazman

• Noble
  • Renown: 23
  • Infamy: 25
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tazman_HRE
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2012, 03:50:23 pm »
Today i made a thrust with a "Elegant Poleaxe" (range = 132) to an enemy with "Mallet" (range = 71). The enemy with this Mallet wanted to make an overhead. I made the thrust and did'nt hitted them and the enemy forced his overhead without moving and hitted me. My strike was earlier and i walked after this back. The Mallet-user did'nt move but hit me.

And now...you will realy say, that their is no "Ghost-Range"? Remember...i had a good ping, the enemy too.

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2012, 04:10:35 pm »
Today i made a thrust with a "Elegant Poleaxe" (range = 132) to an enemy with "Mallet" (range = 71). The enemy with this Mallet wanted to make an overhead. I made the thrust and did'nt hitted them and the enemy forced his overhead without moving and hitted me. My strike was earlier and i walked after this back. The Mallet-user did'nt move but hit me.

And now...you will realy say, that their is no "Ghost-Range"? Remember...i had a good ping, the enemy too.

you either glanced (most likely) or missed him with the thrust, or are not remembering the scenario correctly.  Oh, or he may have chambered your thrust with the overhead.  But I'm PRETTY SURE the mallet doesn't have 62+ overhead ghost reach  :rolleyes:

I refer you to my earlier post:

ghost range doesn't really exist, its more likely an ignorance in knowing swing reaches.  1H right swing has extra reach based on animation, while pole thrust is shorter

instead of blaming the game perhaps you should get more practice in
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 04:13:42 pm by MrShine »
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345