Author Topic: Blanket stab nerf needed  (Read 12353 times)

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Blanket stab nerf needed
« Reply #105 on: March 06, 2011, 12:27:47 am »
Well then, feel free to play an axeman if we do.

Yeah that's fine, but people spent time getting their Gen3 swords. Will there be heirloom respecs?

If so, then np.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #106 on: March 06, 2011, 12:29:13 am »
Yeah that's fine, but people spent time getting their Gen3 swords. Will there be heirloom respecs?

I have no idea.

Ill still play a weebo character, and it feels extra nice since i know you do not like weebo stuff =)

I'll take weaboos over seizing spinners any day.

Offline Bothersome_Aldryk

• Baron
  • Renown: 124
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 06, 2011, 08:45:50 am »
If you can balance thrusts so that IN PARTICULAR stab/overhead only weapons remain viable, that would be excellent. But so far I haven't heard any actual ideas on HOW you'd do so, other than "it wouldn't be hard". As for the people complaining so much about spinstabbing looking stupid. Well, a lot of things look stupid. The Great Maul being so ridiculous is a pet peeve of mine, and I think it looks ridiculous. Throwing lances at pointblank range looks entirely ridiculous. I really don't think that aesthetics are what we should balance around.

Offline bruce

• Count
  • Renown: 262
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: the Freak Army of the Gnjus / Saracens
  • Game nicks: Saracen_el_Brus
« Reply #108 on: March 06, 2011, 12:26:26 pm »
If you can balance thrusts so that IN PARTICULAR stab/overhead only weapons remain viable, that would be excellent.

Viable as support weapons or viable as solo combat weapons is the question. Not every weapon needs to be able to do both. For instance, if you've got a long awlpike or suchlike, you've already got a great gang support weapon for killing horses, for assisting teammates with a positively deadly stab, etc. However, that comes at a price of it not being a effective dueling weapon. It's not like you can't switch to a weapon more oriented at dueling if the need arises, except you have to pay extra upkeep and carry extra weight.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 12:29:19 pm by bruce »
Best ban reason ever:
Quote from: Wookimonsta
I checked, the only Vagabond I found was Wolves_Vagabond_TheCruel, that guy is now unbanned. Ban reason was: "calling Zotte a cockswoggler".

Offline Krakatit

• Noble
  • Renown: 19
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Krakatit
« Reply #109 on: March 06, 2011, 01:09:47 pm »
Im using long awlpike and i can manage pretty well in duels. Even against facehugging shielders i can still use the trick to hit them.

Offline WaltF4

• Baron
  • Renown: 131
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 06, 2011, 05:31:11 pm »
Maybe, just maybe, the fact that it's using a glitch in the engine to bypass range and speed restrictions?
It's not the spinning per-se that is lame (it just looks retarded), it's the bonus that it gives you because someone was too lazy to make proper calculations like for other attacks and instead just used animation time.

Do you have a similar complaints with people turning during side swings and overheads? Side swings can be made much faster or slower by turning during the animation, and overhead attacks can be used similarly to side swings since you can turn 180+ degrees during the animation to hit a wide area.

With or without spin thrusts, thrusts will remain unrealistic until their interaction with the block mechanics is somehow changed. You do not block thrusts without a shield, you deflect or dodge them. Both of which require much more body positioning and timing than the current holding your weapon across your crotch to block multiple pikes trying to put holes in you.

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #111 on: March 06, 2011, 06:07:10 pm »
Do you have a similar complaints with people turning during side swings and overheads? Side swings can be made much faster or slower by turning during the animation, and overhead attacks can be used similarly to side swings since you can turn 180+ degrees during the animation to hit a wide area.

Side swings? No. It is a function of the swing itself. Overhands? Absolutely. You should not be able to "wiggle a hit" from overhands or thrusts.
What side swings need is a proximity nerf. It is silly that someone can swing a weapon with a 12 foot wooden haft from 2 inches for full damage. And really, they do more of a "swing/drag" while moving past you so that they kind of drag the length of the weapon along your side, rather than actually swing it. Hello? A blunt hafted weapon should do zero damage (slide your hand along a broom. take any damage?), and a cutting weapon should do nothing unless against a naked peasant.

"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 06, 2011, 06:19:01 pm »
We need to fix feints too. They look silly and it's just stupid that you can change the attack direction so easily.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #113 on: March 06, 2011, 07:49:02 pm »
 :shock:
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline cmp

• Supreme Overlord
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 06, 2011, 07:59:20 pm »
Do you have a similar complaints with people turning during side swings and overheads?

No and yes.

Side swings can be made much faster or slower by turning during the animation

... so? If you turn while you swing, you hit earlier. Nothing weird or wrong with that.

and overhead attacks can be used similarly to side swings since you can turn 180+ degrees during the animation to hit a wide area.

And that's why it should be treated like a spin-stab and nerfed the same way.

With or without spin thrusts, thrusts will remain unrealistic until their interaction with the block mechanics is somehow changed. You do not block thrusts without a shield, you deflect or dodge them. Both of which require much more body positioning and timing than the current holding your weapon across your crotch to block multiple pikes trying to put holes in you.

Unrealistic is not a problem, as long as it's intended.

Offline Phyrex

• Count
  • Renown: 192
  • Infamy: 13
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: 22nd Battalion
  • Game nicks: 22nd_Overlord_Phyrex
« Reply #115 on: March 06, 2011, 08:22:22 pm »
And how will we effectively deal with hilt-slashers(And I assure you, there will be more of them) with a slowed down/magically 'fixed' spinthrust? Could you please try and think of the consequences this time around and not do something rushed again(such as the thrust animation change). It seems that with every thing you try to 'fix', you bring more errors into it.
Free Bjordhinn!

Offline cmp

• Supreme Overlord
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 06, 2011, 08:26:21 pm »
And how will we effectively deal with hilt-slashers(And I assure you, there will be more of them) with a slowed down/magically 'fixed' spinthrust?

With the other 3 attacks that still work at point blank range?
Besides, it doesn't make sense to leave a broken mechanic in just because it counters another broken mechanic. Much better to fix them both.

Offline bruce

• Count
  • Renown: 262
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: the Freak Army of the Gnjus / Saracens
  • Game nicks: Saracen_el_Brus
« Reply #117 on: March 06, 2011, 08:27:23 pm »

Yes but on the other hand when you're thrusting if you swing a thrust into someone, it doesn't do any substantial damage, especially with a pike. You either thrust in your target... or you miss. IRL you can't swing your pike around after you started thrusting and penetrate armour with the wooden pole. If you did that with a sword, then maybe it'd hurt a unarmoured target, but is much weaker then a sideswing.

The same thing with overheads, by the way.

Best ban reason ever:
Quote from: Wookimonsta
I checked, the only Vagabond I found was Wolves_Vagabond_TheCruel, that guy is now unbanned. Ban reason was: "calling Zotte a cockswoggler".

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #118 on: March 06, 2011, 08:33:12 pm »
And how will we effectively deal with hilt-slashers

Completely different issue and unrelated to the merits and/or nature of lightsaber spin-stabbing.  I agree that it's stupid that longer weapons (mostly 2h lolswords) seem to facehug better than shorter weapons (which is partially why short swords are practically unused at ALL in the game due to terrible damage and 80% glancing blows) but that's an issue for another thread which merits it's own solution.
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Memento_Mori

• Count
  • Renown: 187
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
  • I use these forums to hook up with hot ladies
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Memento_Mori, Sengo_Muramasa, Born_Of_Osiris,
« Reply #119 on: March 06, 2011, 08:38:09 pm »
Fixing sounds good as long as it balances out in the end, I just don't want to see another good game go down the drain wasting time trying to fix hardly game breaking 'broken' mechanics. Just to watch what they try to fix actually become game breaking or 'broken'.

though I doubt it's broke, it seems to be working exactly as the engine intended otherwise you wouldn't be able to do it.

maybe they should put a rule in that SPIN thrusting or SPIN over heads are a kickable or bannable offence since you know they're so game breaking and broken, such an 'obvious' glitch, unstoppable, destroys everything and anyone without taking any skill at all.

^ jusst being sillyyy.