Author Topic: Awlpike and long awlpike  (Read 3011 times)

Offline Beefymongoose

• Noble
  • Renown: 13
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Murder Boner
  • Game nicks: Beefymongoose_MB
Awlpike and long awlpike
« on: March 01, 2012, 11:44:29 pm »
These two weapons are extremely overpowered. They can stab faster then you can even make the block animation and just do ridiculous amount of damage. The Masterwork Awlpike does 36 pierce and one shots practically anyone not wearing heavy armor. Even if you block their attack they can still stab at you again before you can attack them. Its faster then most polearms at 92 speed and does enough damage to one shot people... This weapon needs some drastic fixes.

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
Re: Awlpike and long awlpike
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 12:56:26 am »
+6
They can stab faster then you can even make the block animation

No

and just do ridiculous amount of damage.

Yes, they deal good damage but 2 attacking directions.

Even if you block their attack they can still stab at you again before you can attack them.

Only if you fail.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Peasant_Woman

• Earl
  • Renown: 438
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Unofficial Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ninja, Ming, Companions, Cavemen
  • Game nicks: Peasant_Woman, Ninja_Ninja, Ming_Ninja, Companion_Ninja.
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 12:59:42 am »
2 attack directions. Overhead isn't great. You always have a chance to block them, unless they hit you and polestagger you until dead. Don't fight an awlpike 1vs1 unless your SURE you wont get hit.
Maybe you are not bad, but you are a boring person. Well, that's the end of the matter.
Guide to map making
My Maps

Offline Beefymongoose

• Noble
  • Renown: 13
  • Infamy: 16
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Murder Boner
  • Game nicks: Beefymongoose_MB
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 06:18:15 am »
Saying they're fair as long as you don't get in a 1v1 fight is the most ridiculous thing i've ever heard... no weapon should be so good you can't fight it by yourself and the fact that it attacks 2 directions doesn't even matter because they can hit you so fast you can't ever recover from the polestun. If you get hit once your already dead because they'll just hit you again and again except not even because it kills everything in 1-2 hits. I use a polearm that only swings 2 directions as well its not that big of a disadvantage. But the fact that they can just sit there and spam stabs and no one can do anything about it is just ridiculous.

Maybe if polestun was also affected by how much strength you had instead of just weight it would solve the problem of agility builds putting you in a state that you can't do anything.

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 07:54:54 am »
In situations like that, I just...

...block down.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 08:44:56 am »
Hahahahahahahahahahaha
Only if you fail.

No, really, I don't think you now what polestagger is. Polestagger is if you get HIT (ie; not blocked) and your character has a 50% chance to have a slightly increased stagger duration that can MAYBE enable you to get hit by a second attack before you can block.
Also, if you block an enemy's thrust, they are thrust-stunned. They can not attack again for a HUGE delay compared to other attack directions such as swings. So much so, that you can often overhead an enemy before they can even block, since they are stunned for so long.

<--- CanYouBlockDown
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 08:48:15 am »
+1
Yeah Gurnisson, you just got told.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 09:02:16 am »
Yeah Gurnisson, you just got told.
I was quoting gurnisson to quote him, not to reply to him.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Gurnisson

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 11:19:19 am »
Marathon, I know what polestagger is, but he said you can't attack back if you block his first attack. It's not like you will polestagger anyone if he blocks the attack, the lawlpiker will only get thruststunned.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 11:44:48 am »
+1
Marathon, I know what polestagger is, but he said you can't attack back if you block his first attack. It's not like you will polestagger anyone if he blocks the attack, the lawlpiker will only get thruststunned.
I know you know.
I was quoting gurnisson to quote him, not to reply to him.

Offline Gurnisson

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 11:54:44 am »
Oh, my mistake then. I'll read all replies before posting next time :x

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 2848
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 12:16:20 pm »
Chase explained this problem very well. Thing is that all weapons strike very fast when released after attack is held for some time (that's what you call chambered weapon). That's why we feint, shielders get hit through their blocks (nabs).

For most weapons that takes time. When it comes to pikes you can do that before your opponent can strike two times in a row, because pole thrust animation is so fast. With other weapons you can't do that all the time.

Lawlpiking is a serious problem because:

- it's deadly (damage is epic)
- in most cases you can do it before your enemy (with slower weapon) can strike two times
- hitbox of pikes is broken which allows you to negate all footwork your enemy does, just stab randomly when enemy is trying to get behind you, chances are high that you'll hit him
- it's easy to block other weapons which means you'll rarely get hit (mod is so slow and everyone can block slower weapons)
- enemy can't do feint tricks of you because you strike faster than him if he tries
- it's easier for you to kick him, then it is to him to kick you

Lawlpiker with STR build and a lot of armor is pain in the ass to duel. You have to hit him multiple times, you rarely get the chance to spam him to the death like you can other STR builds using different weapons. He hits you once and most of your HP is gone, if he stagger you, it's game over.

Solution for lawlpikers who use shorter pikes: use a greatsword and try to out stab the bastard. You'll need like 5 or more successful hits for someone with 70 and more HP and loomed armor. If you don't fuck up. If you do, he'll stab you and almost kill you.

Maybe things are different for some of you with better connections but this is how I see average lawlpiker. Unlike most swordsmen (who use euro swords not those asian spammy curved blades) which I can fight against very well, people with pikes are something I simply avoid unless it's total noob behind the pike.

Offline oohillac

• Marshall
  • Renown: 724
  • Infamy: 146
  • cRPG Player
  • boys don't cry
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 03:41:02 pm »
I just run away, and then they never stab me!

also, blocking down beats them

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2012, 03:42:29 pm »
Even if you block their attack they can still stab at you again before you can attack them.
This is true actually in quite a lot of cases. Speaking out of experience with the ashwood pike though, which is just a tad bit faster.

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2012, 11:13:08 pm »
This is true actually in quite a lot of cases. Speaking out of experience with the ashwood pike though, which is just a tad bit faster.
maybe if you hesitate or delay overhead swing on them.