Author Topic: Excessive Glancing with 1 hand weapons  (Read 4250 times)

Offline Formless

• Baron
  • Renown: 102
  • Infamy: 74
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Excessive Glancing with 1 hand weapons
« on: February 23, 2012, 04:52:19 am »
Has anyone else noticed that 1 handers glance many many times more often then 2 handers.  For example, today I was playing with my main with a master work arabian cav sword 36 cut damage with 7 Power Strike, and I kept glancing off, the last round I played I glanced off 6 times ( including 2 off of Voester's thick head), very frustrating.

Compare this to my alt 2 hander also with 7 Power strike also with 36 damage (longsword) and I never glance with him.  Anyone else noticed this? And anyone else finds this a bit odd?

“Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.” - Bruce Lee

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • Renown: 526
  • Infamy: 73
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SaulCanner
Re: Excessive Glancing with 1 hand weapons
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 05:01:27 am »
+1
Has anyone else noticed that 1 handers glance many many times more often then 2 handers.  For example, today I was playing with my main with a master work arabian cav sword 36 cut damage with 7 Power Strike, and I kept glancing off, the last round I played I glanced off 6 times ( including 2 off of Voester's thick head), very frustrating.

Compare this to my alt 2 hander also with 7 Power strike also with 36 damage (longsword) and I never glance with him.  Anyone else noticed this? And anyone else finds this a bit odd?

One-handed animations are far picker about their sweet spots than two-handed animations. I can consistently do damage to Voester with 6 PS and 30c side-swings on my long espada, so you should definitely be able to hurt him with the ACS.

Against well armored players, aim for the head, move with the swing (for the speed bonus), and nail your sweet-spots.

If an enemy is using footwork to force glances on your left swing, just aim further to the left of their head, and strafe so that they don't force an early hit.

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 05:02:13 am »
You might not be used to the animations.  The right swing for example can glance if you don't center your target.

Thrust can be tricky to turn sometimes and can glance if you are too close.

Left swing and overhead basically never glance, and they are head magnets.
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline robert_namo

• Count
  • Renown: 170
  • Infamy: 55
  • I don't understand.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Astralis "of the Stars"
  • Game nicks: Robert_Namo_Astralis
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 05:30:30 am »
Did you know that left swing aims at the head? I do cause I've been 2 hit by 1h many times.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Wraist

• Knight
  • Renown: 44
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 06:25:46 am »
+1
You might not be used to the animations.  The right swing for example can glance if you don't center your target.

Thrust can be tricky to turn sometimes and can glance if you are too close.

Left swing and overhead basically never glance, and they are head magnets.

Ironically, one day in duel, I glanced two left swings with 7PS and I think a pierce weapon :|

For me, Polearms glance the most by far, then onehanders glance once in a while if you hit early in the RHS animation or don't turn into stabs, and 2hers I think I only glanced on a couple of stabs [but when I fight them, they do painful glances for shitty stabs as opposed to pure glances].

Offline justme

• Count
  • Renown: 188
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bandits
  • Game nicks: Bandit_Elsupreme
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 07:42:15 am »
my GLA with 9 ps glance more often these days :/

Offline Camaris

• Count
  • Renown: 223
  • Infamy: 56
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Neresto_HRE
  • IRC nick: Neresto_HRE
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 11:35:15 am »
+1
It is true that you glance more often with 1h cause you have less damage.
But on the other hand 2H often get stuck while in animations. Friendly and Enemy players
left right and behind of you are a pain as 2H and you dont have as big problems as 1h.

I guess overall its fair. 1h glance more often. 2H and Pole often get stuck while starting the swing.

Offline Mala

• Earl
  • Renown: 412
  • Infamy: 61
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 12:22:41 pm »
+1
It is true that you glance more often with 1h cause you have less damage.

Naa, with a practice 2h sword and low PS my swings have nearly never glanced off.

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 12:32:08 pm »
Sweetspots. All there is to it.

90% of the time a glance is caused by hitting to early or too late in the swing. Proper footwork can solve a lot. Allthough having a high damage mw weapon and lot's of PS also helps :P
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline Mala

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 01:15:25 pm »
+1
Sweetspots. All there is to it.

90% of the time a glance is caused by hitting to early or too late in the swing. Proper footwork can solve a lot. Allthough having a high damage mw weapon and lot's of PS also helps :P
But why i need a highdamge "haha" 1h weapon, a lot of PS and proper footwork while with 2hand i only need to leftclick and wave my mouse a bit?

Offline Wraist

• Knight
  • Renown: 44
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 01:47:41 pm »
But why i need a highdamge "haha" 1h weapon, a lot of PS and proper footwork while with 2hand i only need to leftclick and wave my mouse a bit?

2her animations activate earlier. I have been hit for half my health when behind a 2her enemy, and if I was exactly at their side, I'd still get hit :|. If they didn't activate as early, I think they'd be able to hit through doors and the like [pretty sure that's why they activate earlier].

Offline Mala

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2012, 01:53:45 pm »
before it was the same against enemy players. (and they still can hit through their teammates).

Offline B3RS3RK

• Earl
  • Renown: 377
  • Infamy: 103
  • cRPG Player
  • Sexy and I know it.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Saracen_Berserkaziz_Amir
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2012, 01:54:31 pm »
Srsly for a moment I read "Excessive Gangbang"

Man.

My eyes are so pervert.
Maybe it woud be better for me to find out where you life and kill you when you are satch a Soziopath. You have enough now.
"I don´t believe in anything, I´m just here for the violence."

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2012, 01:56:57 pm »

This.

Or slow down the fuck out of the lightsabers.

The "getting stuck" argument also is invalid. Even though it doesn't make any sense, KAS overheads sometimes get stuck in teammates behind.

Long weapons were barely hit by the earlier active attacks, as clearly they still are the obvious choice, seeing the use data (50% of 2h kills are from DGS).

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2012, 04:32:32 pm »
+1
On the note of 1h having retarded sweet spots for it's weapon length, enjoy the following info:
You'll glance with daggers and shorter 1h more than all the rest, because it makes those tiny sweet spot areas even smaller, while the intrinsically large glance area of the animation is still the same size.
All due to the weapon hitbox originating so far forward form the rest of your character. Y'know, at the end of your arm. That's why you can hilt-slash point blank with 2h side swings but glance with 1h.
~the more you know.

So now you know both ways to mess up 1h! Be out of their short reach, or step in so close you touch them and they glance.

A good player will use that knowledge to make themselves better when using a 1h.
A better player will use that knowledge to make themselves better against all enemy 1h.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 04:43:01 pm by Marathon »
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.