Author Topic: Excessive Glancing with 1 hand weapons  (Read 4766 times)

Offline BlueKnight

• Marshall
  • Renown: 983
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • If you run, you will only die tired...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
Re: Excessive Glancing with 1 hand weapons
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2012, 05:57:12 pm »
The main problem is on the 1h stab, it glance way too much with sword, if you don't turn into your stab you have no chance of hurting your opponent while 2h can stand straight stab and it won't glance which imho is bullshit if you consider how it is in real life where it's much easier to stab with a 1h.
This game and crpg are pretty much fucked on this level, you can swing a flammerge like if it was chopsticks.
Atm with my sword which does 24 damage trust combined with 8 PS my swing will glance 50% of the time against an opponent who has more than 40 armor.

Kansuke, have you been playing 2h?
The only moment when you don't need to turn your stab to hit the enemy as 2h is when you are both charging at each other. stab of 1h is as good as stab of 2h. 1h has higher speed which makes it block hits faster when you feint. sometimes it's just hardly possible to block from feinting because of the speed of sword coming to block. It's not insta block. 1h have faster blocks. Don't whine at 2h. their all weapons that have bonus agains shield are unbalanced (except 1h fighting axe with secondary mode). They cost a-fucking-lot and they don't deal any superior damage. sometimes in heavy armour and with a few points in IF you die after 2 hits from a shielder and his leftswing headshot. It's a lot easier to hit 2h with 1h weapon than to hit 1h with 2h weapon. Slowness of the fight and predicibility of the 2her makes him easy to block. also right swing of 1h is pretty long. It's because of an animation that adds additional range coming from the arm. Kansuke you are one of the bestestest 1h I was fighting with. You must know all of that. I don't know why you are whining. When you used to use your niuwedao or whateva it was so spammy and hard to block you were killing everybody. I am not sure if didn't you change that weapon because it wasn't nordic-looking. Anyway 2h needs to know something about these things to know his advantages and 1h knowing his weapon and a weapon of the enemy can pwn. I wrote so fucking long thing that I wonder if anybody read this. greetings  :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Skyrim UI

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2012, 06:28:47 pm »
You don't need to turn into a 2h stab if you're just stabbing normally, but by spinthrusting you can effectively stab from any distance. Which is the major advantage of 2h - the amazing thrust. Stab of 1h is definitely not as good as the stab of 2h, nowhere near. Stab is the worst attack of 1handers due to its unpredictability. I'm not sure what you mean by hard to block from feinting, but all weapons have insta-block and thus none are faster than the other.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Mala

• Earl
  • Renown: 412
  • Infamy: 61
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2012, 08:31:28 pm »
.... stab of 1h is as good as stab of 2h. 1h has higher speed which makes it block hits faster when you feint. ...

Umm, the 1h stab is ultra slow.

Offline karasu

• King
  • Renown: 1751
  • Infamy: 316
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • D̶͎̳͒́͗͋ẹ͕̲̠̳̄̃͂ͤ͑ͮṃ̮͎̗̦̏̿͊ͤi̥̪̼͕ͦ̀̊̐ȗ̘rͩ͋̅̊gͭ̿̋
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2012, 08:34:06 pm »
Starts slow, and ends fast, you always need to use speed with mouse movement in order to avoid glance, almost at the end of the animation.

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2012, 08:40:35 pm »
+2

1h has higher speed which makes it block hits faster when you feint. sometimes it's just hardly possible to block from feinting because of the speed of sword coming to block. It's not insta block. 1h have faster blocks.

This post was wrong on so many accounts, but this has to be adressed:

weaponspeed has NOTHING to do with block speed. Every manual block is an instant block. The only times you can't block are when you're stunned for some reason or when you are in the middle of a swing with an unbalanced weapon.

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline BlindGuy

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 583
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • De oppresso liber et plus ultra.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2012, 10:40:59 pm »
Well, this needs clarification: 1hander with shield is not the same as 1hander without shield. Shield slows your blocks and your movement.

2hander has vastly superior animations, and is VERY popular:

Currently I play an archer, with +3 warbow, here is my build:

Attributes

Strength    18    
Agility    18    

Weapon proficiency
Available points: 0
One Handed    50   
Archery          150

Skills

Iron Flesh       5    
Power Strike       6    
Athletics               6
Power Draw       6       
Weapon Master  6    

But my REAL pride and joy is my sidearm, the GODLIKE and MIGHTY:

+3 Short Sword.

29 cut, 29 pierce, and 103 speed.

With this baby I have owned SO many players. I seldom glance and bounce, and the stab is GODLIKE. I go from backpeddling to putting my hand thru enemies chests in an instant. If I get your head, your gonna get 1/2 hit.

But since this weapon is so pidly, and even with 'loom pack mod (FINALBOSS, your mod is BOSS, thanks) you cannot tell it is a +3 easily, MANY are the players who see an archer, think: OOOH Im gonna pwn him, and end up eating 1handed stabs for breakfast. Also with nice footwork (a quick stepback after the stab and a half step forward) you can link a facestab into an overhead before they can react, usually ending the round for them.

Only drawbacks to 1handed is having to live in your enemies pocket, moreso with a weapon like mine (81 lengh).  But with clever usage 1handed is the most rewarding. I have always found it easy to use range/speed on 2handers and polearms to rape ppl, but mastering 1handed and killing players with more range, speedy animations, armour, wpf, STR and dmg with a weapon that costs 100 gold to upkeep will never cease to make me smile.

PLAYERS TO WATCH to see 1handed used well: Osiris (currently a 2hander I believe, but his smooth spinning and chopping style has always made me fear him)
Massasin: Kastu is always a good player but his running off/coming back superaggresion is very effective.
Theres SO many more but those 2 are very cool to watch.

PLAYERS NOT WATCH: SO MANY bad shielders out there, but the worst are the ones who do well, eg Leoking: High level and reliance on a overpowered shield make him lazy with his awereness and swings.

Inshort: 1handed is GREAT, it just takes a little effort to learn.
I don't know enough

Offline Miley

• Duke
  • Renown: 604
  • Infamy: 327
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2012, 10:53:46 pm »
Yes, they glance sometimes, and sometimes they almost one hit you.

Offline EyeBeat

• Earl
  • Renown: 432
  • Infamy: 175
  • 20th BEST PLAYER IN HOSPITALLER
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hospitaller
  • Game nicks: EyeBeat_The_Wanderer
  • IRC nick: EyeBeat
« Reply #52 on: February 29, 2012, 12:31:57 am »
Yes, they glance sometimes, and sometimes they almost one hit you.

You don't wear armor. 

Also...

Pretty much anything you say can be taken with a grain of salt since I remember last week over heading your naked head twice with my +3 elite scimi and not killing you.

Being a smallish community doesn't entitle you to act more like a dick than other communities.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 29, 2012, 01:50:40 pm »
The only times you can't block are when you're stunned for some reason or when you are in the middle of a swing with an unbalanced weapon.

There is also a small window at the end of the swing/thrust when you can't block with any weapon.

Offline Diomedes

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
  • Cat
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sootnik_Diomedes
« Reply #54 on: February 29, 2012, 10:19:38 pm »
I'd like to see two-handers deal less damage on their weird-angle swings.  I'm okay with them landing those blows - it's just what they do - but I'm not okay with the tip of a 2hander glitching around my shield, nicking my chest, and still dealing 3/4 my health.  The real strength of 2handers is that they can land a lot of blows other weapons can't, and are often the more versatile for it.  I'd like to see a greater value placed on the quality of their hits rather than merely the quantity.

Here's an unrelated .gif:

(click to show/hide)

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
  • Renown: 611
  • Infamy: 129
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 29, 2012, 10:54:05 pm »

Offline Dezilagel