Author Topic: NERF INFANTRY  (Read 8019 times)

Offline Gisbert_of_Thuringia

• Count
  • Renown: 169
  • Infamy: 136
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Gisbert_of_Thuringia, Guard_Bernulf_of_Thuringia, Guard_Ranulf_of_Thuringia etc...
Re: NERF INFANTRY
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2012, 09:28:05 pm »
Does anyone take this thread serious?  Archers shooting backwards or whatever?^^

Offline n445

• Knight
  • Renown: 40
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2012, 09:29:28 pm »
errrr. not the shooting backwards part. i made the thread sound more serious
01000001 01110010 01110100 01111001 01101111 01101101 01000010 01110010 01100101 01100111 01101101 01100001 01101110 00000000 000000000000000001000001 01110010 01110100 01111001 01101111 01101101 00000000 0000000001001001 01110100 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01001011 01110010 01101111 011011

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2012, 11:34:51 pm »
I agree with some of this. As much as some of the infantry populaetion cry about archers they seem to forget how overpowered the infantry class is. 1 hit kills, mostly.

errrr. not the shooting backwards part. i made the thread sound more serious

No you don't. Rather the opposite, really.

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2012, 11:45:10 pm »
 :lol:

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2012, 11:55:31 pm »
I forgot that the bonus from PD is 14% damage, compared to the 8% of PS.

So if we assume we are using the item with the bare minimum skill, the real "melee" damage is in fact (1+(0,14-0,8) * 6) * 28p > 38p
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 12:06:04 am by Kafein »

Offline Meow

• Awesome Consulting Detective
  • King
  • Renown: 1071
  • Infamy: 150
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2012, 12:40:52 am »
+4
You still assume though that hitting stuff is anywhere near as easy as it is in melee, which it is not.

This thread is obviously not meant seriously and the balancing of the game should be build around melee, I agree with that - no doubt.

Still if I could I would force all of the ranged haters to play an archer for a full generation.
Then judge.

Trying to make it look like hitting people with a bow/xbow/throwing is as easy as hitting them with melee weapons at melee range is just ridiculous.

I am sure Tzar will jump in here and make sure you all know I used high str builds but for real, after 9 gens of pure melee always between 30str/9agi and 18str/21agi chars I can say that melee is easier but still what the game is focused around.

I understand people get pissed if they get headshot and insta die because it is not a series of blows and them failing to block those but a way different kind of skillset + luck that makes it possible.
People who say ranged should go back to playing CS either never played CS or never played an archer for more than five minutes.
This is not anywhere close to a shooter and you are mainly a support class like pikers and horse archers.
Good players will still be okish with them but getting anywhere close to inf or cav scores is just way way harder than as inf or cav.

The rage factor for the people you hit is just way bigger :mrgreen:

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1677
  • Infamy: 11
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2012, 12:43:47 am »
The rage factor for the people you hit is just way bigger :mrgreen:

Same with rage factor of said archers when I assassinate them from behind :D

Offline Meow

• Awesome Consulting Detective
  • King
  • Renown: 1071
  • Infamy: 150
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2012, 12:44:42 am »
Same with rage factor of said archers when I assassinate them from behind :D

You wish.
I really don't care if melees oneshot me :mrgreen:

Offline Fluffy_Muffin

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 429
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Tribunal
  • Game nicks: Vivec_the_Poet
  • IRC nick: Umbra
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2012, 12:59:28 am »
Buff ranged
Defy me, and you will know what it is to stand against a god.

Offline Adamar

• He who doesn't want to be labelled
  • Earl
  • Renown: 422
  • Infamy: 319
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2012, 01:06:54 am »
+1
I've said it before: Let an average dedicated archer and an average melee player swap builds for a few maps and see who gets the best score. It's not even a matter of different skill sets, since archers need to be exelent in melee too. Ranged is simply harder, dont make it more so, not again.

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2012, 02:03:53 am »
+1
When i was playing game yesterday i saw that annoying infantries taking over game. While i was alone as an archer, i saw 30 infantries coming to me, i didnt hesitate and start shooting but they were doing odd movements to dodge my arrows, and even some of them equipped their shields which i can't shoot trough, When inmy old friendtries are together they are dominating the whole game and it annoys me. Also, i couldnt even shoot them while i was running away from them. ( Honestly archers should have the ability to shoot backwards ) When they catch me they can kill me in one hit, I think archers should be able to take more than 10 hits. And when they wear heavy armors they should become towers and cannot be able to move again.

I did notice the irony in your post, but still I downvoted it. All you did there was burning a straw man.

The complaint about archers was more related to their number on the servers, as to their individual strength. This is the most important aspect of the (outdated?  :? ) ranged spam problem. In difference to infantry, where their effectivity goes up proportionally to their numbers, the effectivity of ranged fighters goes up exponentially the more you have of them at one place.

For some reason, I don't know which, it's probably some hidden psychologic mechanisms, archers tend to stick together more than infantry. In my "dear devs..." topic I pointed out that infantry is probably depending most on teamplay, next to archers probably, but of all classes they are using it the least. (Cavalry doesn't need teamplay that much, so I can't judge this properly). It's a general problem in cRPG, that the classes are balanced in THEORY. All classes have the same strength, if you use ALL of their possibilities. The bad thing about infantry is, that some of their possibilities emerge rather from behaviour and discipline than from skills and reflexes. But since the majority of all infantry players lacks the basic understanding of how infantry is to be played, you end up having that class being the bitch of all other classes on the server, ridden beneath the grass and perforated by a hail of arrows. Not because some skill effects or item stats are wrong, it's because of the bad behaviour of infantry on the servers.

I can't appreciate your topic, YnScN, because its only purpose is to badmouth about infantry, revenging for their whining about archers and thus only making you feel better. Not a single constructive word or something like that, just hidden ranting about whining infantry.
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline XyNox

• Marshall
  • Renown: 801
  • Infamy: 219
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Quincy Clan
  • Game nicks: Quincy_XyNox
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2012, 02:12:29 am »
Still if I could I would force all of the ranged haters to play an archer for a full generation.
Then judge.

Better not. Would lead to at least half the playerbase GTXing the mod. And that would be bad ... or would it ??
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Zerran

• Count
  • Renown: 276
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Caita_KUTT, Fellys_KUTT
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2012, 02:46:27 am »
+1
Better not. Would lead to at least half the playerbase GTXing the mod. And that would be bad ... or would it ??

Heh, I've tried to play as an archer. I found it incredibly boring and often just dropped my bow and ran into melee.  :lol:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2012, 02:55:57 am »
Heh, I've tried to play as an archer. I found it incredibly boring and often just dropped my bow and ran into melee.  :lol:

I tried it, too. Started to score one kill after another with a STF character. Like single player or any other game: aim, click, profit.  :P
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2012, 03:46:29 am »
+3
Meow, being an archer is not easy, I know that from tons of playing time as archer. Your awareness need to be even better than what you need as infantry I'll admit. However, it's not the playability that should decide the power of the class. Archery should be hard to play to keep the amount of ranged at an acceptable level. Now, at least when it comes to archers with +3 bow and +3 arrows, they have it too easy. With 18/21 or 18/24 builds there's almost no downside to being an archer since you can 2-4 shoot different armored infantry and run like the wind. The only weak part is your melee capability (which you don't need with 7-8 athletics and low armor) and health. Since you run like the wind and can run and shoot for an eternity stunning chasers along the way you're basically untouchable by a major part of the playerbase. The damage of archers ain't a bad thing, but the combined forces of high athletics and still having massive damage is.

Either bows should be weaker for only 9-10 PD builds to 2-4 shot infantry, because they would be at a disadvantage at kiting and running away, or the bows/quivers should be heavier. As of now the archers can have their cake and eat it too which makes it too appealing to players. I would myself prefer a heavy weight increase on bows and/or arrows (maybe arrows to make 1 stack + a good melee backup a good alternative to keep the kiting down)

Archery needs to be a bit harder. As of now it's too good making it appealing to too many, making archers massively overused (small servers, I'm looking at you)
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.