Author Topic: archery..  (Read 53259 times)

Offline Pappus

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: archery..
« Reply #930 on: May 10, 2012, 05:05:13 pm »
If you want it to be more precise: Hoplomachus or Eques is the specific.

Now that I have proven my point, lets get on and think about rebalancing archery.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: May 10, 2012, 05:16:26 pm »
If you want it to be more precise: Hoplomachus or Eques is the specific.

Now that I have proven my point, lets get on and think about rebalancing archery.
Wow, great description you've got there. You just called it a horseman, you really needed Latin for that to sound intelligent.

Offline Cup1d

• Count
  • Renown: 167
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercs
« Reply #932 on: May 10, 2012, 05:18:36 pm »
Where you've seen gladiator on a horse? Where you've seen Gladiator as a battle class? Сan you point me a State or period when someone use Gladiators as military force? Please.
Looks like we found another «historian» and «clausewitz» in one person.

Deutschritter

You forgot about shield mate. He can be 1hcav too.

Offline Cup1d

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: May 10, 2012, 05:28:47 pm »
Doubt that this guy try to be serious though. At least I cant take his «suggestions» serious. But it's good reinforcements for our exhausted 2Hinfantry team.

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: May 10, 2012, 05:29:11 pm »
+1
This thread  :lol:

Offline XyNox

• Marshall
  • Renown: 801
  • Infamy: 219
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Quincy Clan
  • Game nicks: Quincy_XyNox
« Reply #935 on: May 10, 2012, 05:35:06 pm »
I think this was a severe misunderstanding. Pappus was clearly talking about native archery.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Pappus

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: May 10, 2012, 05:50:35 pm »
Wow, great description you've got there. You just called it a horseman, you really needed Latin for that to sound intelligent.

From wiki
A Hoplomachus (pl. hoplomachi) (Greek: ὁπλομάχος) (hoplon meaning "shield" in Greek) was a type of gladiator in ancient Rome, armed to resemble a Greek hoplite (soldier with heavy armor and helmet, a round shield, a spear and a sword). The hoplomachus would wear a bronze helmet, a manica on his right arm, loincloth (subligaculum), heavy padding on his legs, and a pair of high greaves reaching to mid-thigh. His weapons were the spear and a short sword.

Eques, indeed is a horse in latin, but that is just one meaning. They would open up the gladiator fights on horseback, however you wouldn't know that, because the english wikipedia doesn't contain that information. The German wiki does and I will use the google translator for you, because I am not willing to translate myself.

The equites opened its struggle with the gladiatorial games. They were with a brimmed helmet with visor, a flat round shield, a lance and a short sword gladius armed. Were in contrast to all other categories of gladiators, who dressed only in a loincloth subligaculum, they wore tunics. They began to fight on horseback, dismounted and then put him away with their swords. In pictorial representations, they are mostly represented in the final phase of the struggle, that is descended from a horse and on foot with swords fighting.

In retrospec you should have remained silent, because it doesn't make you look very 'intelligent' if you argue with nameroots when there is more to the word, especially since Hoplomachus doesn't have anything to do with 'Horse'.

Although I cannot comprehend how it is relevant in NAMING a build, a class so to speak if that perticular type was used in an military army. However bringing up that argument will net you another slap to your face:

There was a gladiator army, not for rome, but against rome. You can even watch a show: Spartacus: Blood and Sand + sequels. In case you didn't know it is a representation of what information we have of that era, and we know, that those gladiators formed an army by giving training to slaves as they received as gladiators. So gladiators train more gladiators until they reach army size.

Of course they also trained archers and such, but their frontline consisted of  gladiators.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: May 10, 2012, 05:58:53 pm »
(click to show/hide)
I'm talking about the Eques part. You described the build as either Hoplomachus or Eques, now I have no idea what a Hoplomachus is, werent that you just described it, but Eques just means horseman. Which is a shitty description and the fact that you say it in Latin doesn't make it any smarter. Horse is Equus.

Offline Moncho

• King
  • Renown: 1127
  • Infamy: 221
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Moncho, Some_Random_STF, Some_Random_Troll
« Reply #938 on: May 10, 2012, 06:03:24 pm »
So cRPG is now set in ancient rome/greece...

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #939 on: May 10, 2012, 06:04:40 pm »
See, back in my day we just called that build a cavalry hybrid.

Stop making up stuff.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Cup1d

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: May 10, 2012, 06:07:24 pm »
dude, do not try to substitute social status «gladiator» with gladiator's gear. Or you really think that gladiator's army used gladiator's weapons\armors?

And I like wiki citation as arguments, use it more.

Offline _Tak_

• Earl
  • Renown: 459
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Retired Dev of FI2
    • View Profile
    • mod :D
  • Game nicks: LC
« Reply #941 on: May 10, 2012, 06:08:05 pm »
HA seriously needs a buff, try 15/24 even with loomed arrow + tatar its impossile to kill anyone, the strange thing is that you will find most of your kills comes from bump

Offline Arrowblood

• Duke
  • Renown: 508
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Arrowblood
« Reply #942 on: May 10, 2012, 06:09:06 pm »
 :lol:
(click to show/hide)
edit: Deutschritter, Pappus, Arn_Magnusson, Cup1d, Rumblood, BlackMilk, SgtTeeh, Leshma, Paul, rufio (+ 2 Hidden) and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Lets start with talking.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 06:11:04 pm by Deutschritter »

Offline Pappus

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: May 10, 2012, 06:10:42 pm »
I'm talking about the Eques part. You described the build as either Hoplomachus or Eques, now I have no idea what a Hoplomachus is, werent that you just described it, but Eques just means horseman. Which is a shitty description and the fact that you say it in Latin doesn't make it any smarter. Horse is Equus.

Dude what part don't you understand? Eques is a gladiatortype. What meaning does it hold that equus is a horse in latin? You know why I used a latin word ? Because gladiators were named in latin, in rome, latin metropolis.................

Eques might be called eques because he started his fight on horseback or because many of them were former members of the equestrian order (cavalrymen). I don't know that, but your type of argument is still flawed. And if Eques meant archers are overpowered and need to be nerfed in latin - it doesnt matter as it would just be one meaning.

And actually I would still call it gladiator, but I specified to prevent people saying stuff like: ZOMG Gladiator AND HORSES? or ZOMG Gladiator SWORDZZZ only!!!1

Gladiators are commonly referred to as master of many weapon arts, including riding.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 06:14:46 pm by Pappus »

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #944 on: May 10, 2012, 06:13:47 pm »
+5
This whole thread is just pointless anyways.

You always have people yelling to nerf archery, it always gets nerfed in major patches (besides the headshot buff, which was entirely not needed and rarely noticeable by the majority of players anyways only the armoured HP stackers), people yell that it was not enough, and the cycle continues... Regardless of anyone's opinions.

Also I am suspecting that the majority of the people here never played any archery in recent times. It is frustrating as all hell.

Archers rarely dominate scoreboards.

They don't need nerfs, they don't need buffs, they just need to be left alone ffs (imo) before someone (like cmp) fucks everything up again.

But yes, do go on discussing this bloated topic and thread like anyone who can change things actually gives a damn, wait patiently, and await another small tweak to archery/nerf while blithering on about a class you have never played.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.