Author Topic: archery..  (Read 50994 times)

Offline Arrowblood

• Duke
  • Renown: 508
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Arrowblood
Re: archery..
« Reply #870 on: May 04, 2012, 01:16:26 pm »
Anyone can get 30+ kills if they're on a server long enough so that's not exactly a measure of anything. Compared to two-handers the archers will still be way down in the leaderboards though. As for 'hybridshit', I never even hinted that was the case, I've gone pure longbowman with 6 Power Draw and everything else into Weapon Master and archery. Even with no points in melee it's easier for me to just pick up an axe off the floor and go kill people than it is to try and shoot them.

On the other hand, if you reckon it's just a matter of throwing more points into archery then OK, I'll reserve judgement until I'm level 30 then, though I don't suspect anything will change. No offense, but your avatar has a trollface on it. Not sure how I should take that. :D
sorry but you are just bad then :D
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 01:17:29 pm by Deutschritter »

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: May 04, 2012, 04:54:46 pm »
sorry but you are just bad then :D
No. This only proves that he is good in melee. Can't talk about his ranged abilities, as this post does not contain much clues about his ranged skills.

I feel the same way. It is just easier to kill dozens of weak players with a sword, rather than trying to aim for them with a bow.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 04:56:35 pm by Ronin »
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline Arrowblood

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: May 04, 2012, 05:01:12 pm »
so now we see, archery is for people with skill :D

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: May 04, 2012, 05:15:47 pm »
+2
Again, there has no clue about his ranged skills dear trollface.

Back in the day; when I was both a good cavalry, good infantry and good archer in native I was feeling that there was an exact balance in the game. After starting cRPG, I saw that it is easier to kill lots of people with a melee twohander rather than ranged. After all, the mod was enabling and encouraging to play as a twohander; in the opposite of native.

In fact, this luck factor in cRPG had a bad impact on my native-archery. Due to the reason that, you have to rely on your luck no matter how skillful you are sometimes. So this, leaded to lazyness in my playstyle. Yes, this irrelevant about the discussion we have here. But it is something to consider I believe. Yes, it is still very skill based but also includes some luck factor. But the truth is:
When we consider archery and melee (non-shielder of course) individually.

-Archery is very very ineffective compared to native. Because of,
Lesser accuracy, lesser missile speed, lesser fire rate, lesser damage (?)

-Two Handed is a bit more effective compared to native. Because of,
Armor weights are halved, it is possible to have better stats (ath, if, ps etc.), possibility of better armor, possibility of better weapons.

When we think them in the macro game: less useful archery --> better non-shielder melee. Which makes ranged feel even worse, and twohander even better.

So yeah, it is easier to kill dozens of people with melee but not with ranged. What actually ranged is capable of is, being able to sharpshoot some individual targets. In this case, it is best to shoot those hollywood stars (twohanders); which makes some of this hollywood protagonist-wannabes complain at forums. So, as an archer it is best to aim for people with a good K/D ratio. If possible, try to assassinate the top players of the opposing team. So you will carry your team to the victory. In my opinion, archery is useful and balanced in a way. After all, there has to be pure twohanders in the game so an archery nerf was completely needed. But not now, it is fine as it is.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 05:21:11 pm by Ronin »
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: May 04, 2012, 06:55:47 pm »
+3
No. This only proves that he is good in melee. Can't talk about his ranged abilities, as this post does not contain much clues about his ranged skills.

I feel the same way. It is just easier to kill dozens of weak players with a sword, rather than trying to aim for them with a bow.

No, you're wrong. If he has 0 PS and 1 wpf in melee weapons and yet he finds it easier to kill people in melee than with 6 PD and 160 wpf in ranged, then it clearly proves he's an awful archer.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Jambi

• Earl
  • Renown: 410
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player
  • Walks with God.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jambi
« Reply #875 on: May 04, 2012, 07:02:00 pm »

Skill ? pfft you dont know what your talking about .. ne ne ne neeee  :wink:
Love will tear us apart.
Also, most fucked up brain of the year award goes to jambi. Well done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX9Cpuj4igk

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: May 05, 2012, 09:10:59 am »
No, you're wrong. If he has 0 PS and 1 wpf in melee weapons and yet he finds it easier to kill people in melee than with 6 PD and 160 wpf in ranged, then it clearly proves he's an awful archer.
Na :D
I am not really really sure, but a good blunt weapon allows you to fight against everyone. Also couple that with high athletics, it is possible to fight properly. What archery suffers is, it requires a lot of concentration; where melee may require less of this for some people. I'm not saying he's the best archer there, but what he said is the reality. I am a horse archer as well. In rageball, trying to slash everyone on my path with a gigantic bar mace truly feels easier than trying to kill them one by one with my bow.
After all, there a lot of bad players out there. Being a bad player makes them extremely vulnerable to melee. Whereas, it is almost same to kill a bad player or a good player with a bow. This, is what makes archers feel less valuable and effective to their team. Which is something correct if those archers do not benefit from their "cheap" shots and try to eliminate good opposite players from a distance; in my opinion.

Also note that, non-loomed archery is truly weak.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 09:14:12 am by Ronin »

Offline rufio

• Marshall
  • Renown: 995
  • Infamy: 483
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • QQ
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Rufio_pleaser_of_widows, LeLouche_LampeRouge, Quenya_Favourite_of_Rufio
« Reply #877 on: May 05, 2012, 04:09:01 pm »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Arrowblood

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: May 05, 2012, 06:04:34 pm »
Skill ? pfft you dont know what your talking about .. ne ne ne neeee  :wink:
yes for rusbow and 170+ wpf and shittons of agi of course not.

Offline Jambi

• Earl
  • Renown: 410
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player
  • Walks with God.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jambi
« Reply #879 on: May 05, 2012, 07:42:26 pm »
Ooh mad cuz bad, mad cuz bad lol  :wink:
Love will tear us apart.
Also, most fucked up brain of the year award goes to jambi. Well done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX9Cpuj4igk

Offline Herpderp

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • Infamy: 13
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: May 07, 2012, 06:16:58 am »
1.5 years ago when archery was fine I used to able to actually get kills, now at level 30 I get about 1 kill average per MAP with my bow, mostly headshots. However I average one kill per round as I actually manage to kill people with my melee more. Bodyshots do close to nothing unless you use bodkins, but 15 bodkin arrows cost as much as a rouncey for upkeep????!!! You can do the math for yourself, hornbow (what I use) I get about 15-20% accuracy at medium range ( about 50% close range, it's more than possible to miss horses that are standing right in front of you with your bow because of how gimped accuracy is) , 30 really hard to afford arrows to shoot, and each of them do an extremely low amount of 24p base damage. Compare that to throwing weapons and crossbows and it's pretty damn easy to see how bad it is. I also have a thrower and a crossbow character, with throwing axes I hit usually 50% of the time and each time killing someone in 1-2 hits. No matter what armour I wear I don't have to pay upkeep because I only wear light. I also break shields and can easily pick back up my axes. With crossbows you don't even need wpf to score 5x more kills then with archery, I get 3 kills per round average just by going horse + xbow (imo horse xbowing is currently pretty OP) without having any crossbow or HA related skills or wpf. You see my point, there are 0 reasons to play archer, no amount of skill required or can be applied to archery because of accuracy, and trust me on this as someone who has played more then a gen as archer up to now it's not worth spending time to loom anything.

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • Renown: 515
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Grandmaster Ultimate God Of Swashbucklin'
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bridgeburners
  • Game nicks: Bobthehero_Whals and I am totally not all the Not_Bobthehero alts ever.
  • IRC nick: Buff Swashbuckling
« Reply #881 on: May 07, 2012, 06:32:25 am »
1.5 years ago when archery was fine

Herpderp

You does your name justice, 1.5 years ago archery was horribly OP.
The Narwhals, dedicated swashbuckler part of FCC

Stabbing is my speciality and one hitting people, my art

Offline Arrowblood

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: May 07, 2012, 07:06:41 am »
Ooh mad cuz bad, mad cuz bad lol  :wink:

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #883 on: May 07, 2012, 01:16:59 pm »
+2
Snip

Considering that you think archery was fine for you when it was grossly overpowered and that you average 1 kill per map now that it's more balanced, you've not realized yet that you're a terrible archer? You were able to get a lot of kills because of the easiness of the class back in the day but now that it requires an ounce of skill you're doing horrible. Do the math. :)
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: May 07, 2012, 02:05:25 pm »
I have carefully read all the posts in this thread again and deduced that archery needs a nerf.