Should Throwing Lances be removed?

Yes
92 (41.8%)
Severely nerfed
53 (24.1%)
No
75 (34.1%)

Total Members Voted: 220

Author Topic: Remove Throwing Lances  (Read 10655 times)

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
Re: Remove Throwing Lances
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2011, 05:11:30 pm »
So this is a complaint about being 1-hit from a cavalry player?

Fine, remove throwing lances, but also remove all speed bonuses applied to weapons while on a horse. Fair is fair. No more 1 hit ninja cavalry.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2011, 05:52:59 pm »
1hit1kill with javelins was possible, guess what dmg i got with lances ;)

Ofc, you just don't know if the guy wasn't hit by someone else allready.

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline Warcat

• Earl
  • Renown: 396
  • Infamy: 40
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Warcat_ Village_Elder Merchant_of_Tulga Tavern_Keeper Guild_Master Ramun_The_Slave_Trader
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2011, 09:30:27 pm »
So this is a complaint about being 1-hit from a cavalry player?

Fine, remove throwing lances, but also remove all speed bonuses applied to weapons while on a horse. Fair is fair. No more 1 hit ninja cavalry.

Was made by cav guy, but most of the people whining about them are 2 handers/polearmers that though they were safe when archers were made to shoot foam arrows. Anyone decent at using shields usually gets a free kill alone with a lance thrower. Takes 3-4 to destroy a Huscarl shield.
In memory of Fallen_Warcat_, member of Fallen Brigade, ruler of Zagush
Tavern_Keeper #1 NA shielder
Strategus City Improvement Project

Offline Aldwyn

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2011, 09:42:28 pm »
The lance throwing usually has friends.  And not everyone uses top tier viking shields...

Offline MrShovelFace

• Baron
  • Renown: 119
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
  • Nobody cares about who I am or what I think
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2011, 11:10:47 pm »
Hmm, two chances to hit, a monstrous upkeep due to being 10K+ for the base cost, required 7PD. I think I am content with them when compared to the rest of the throwers.

While throwing as a whole should be nerfed a bit, the throwing lances are not that special to be singled out.

I almost never see people spam them due to only having two throws, more often then not they find a large group of enemies or wait up close to chuck it. I would hardly call that luck, and more "Waiting for a good opportunity."

+1 you have changed my thoughts though not entirely. If the model on throwing lances is not changed then it deserves to be removed because atm it just looks like something you would only find in a comic book. And in addition the damage would need to be reduced also like you said.

BUT THE MODEL MUST CHANGE!!!

and to cav players, complaining about your horse being taken down by one fransica is one thing [completely rediculous] but you must remember that due to your unarmored horses you are considered light cavalry and thus are will be at disadvantage against an aware opponent
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 11:13:12 pm by MrShovelFace »
Nobody cares about who I am or what I think

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2011, 11:16:43 pm »
Roman pilum were 5 and a half to seven feet long, depending on if you counted the 60cm shank or not, and the year they were made. Considering at the highest point over 30 legions were using this at the peak, I am content with there being a real-life example of size.

From what I can see, the throwing lances look comparable.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline MrShovelFace

• Baron
  • Renown: 119
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
  • Nobody cares about who I am or what I think
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2011, 11:24:19 pm »
except throwing lances are symetrical and do not at all look like something that could be thrown easily. Pilium were asymetrical and generally awesome looking. The point where the throwing lance is held (in the middle) means that an excessive amount of it projects in front of the user thus making it look rediculous. Where as depictions of romans show them holding it closer to the head of the pilium
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 11:26:36 pm by MrShovelFace »
Nobody cares about who I am or what I think

Offline Tai Feng

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2011, 12:04:58 am »
Roman pilum were 5 and a half to seven feet long, depending on if you counted the 60cm shank or not

Except that entire polearm class (and these lances are in secondary mode a polearm) is in this game 2x+ shorter than in real life.

You're ok with throwing lances being as they are? Very well.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pike_%28weapon%29

I'd like a 22 feet long pike.

You may also check spears. Spear in this game looks like a walking stick. Spears in real life were much longer, which was entire point of a spear.
Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.

Imperial army: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4muBipy9-Q

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2011, 12:14:45 am »
Except that entire polearm class (and these lances are in secondary mode a polearm) is in this game 2x+ shorter than in real life.

You're ok with throwing lances being as they are? Very well.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pike_%28weapon%29

I'd like a 22 feet long pike.

You may also check spears. Spear in this game looks like a walking stick. Spears in real life were much longer, which was entire point of a spear.

Yes, I am fully aware of the reach, and I would first like to point out that a 22 foot long pike would be worthless in many maps (Like all the castle maps) when close in fighting is done, so I am ok. If done properly, a pike that long would deal little to no damage against someone next to you. Actually, make it where they are overhand (And make a unique animation for it so it is more of a slight raise then lower) and poke only, no swing, there...
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2011, 08:13:33 am »
Been playing around on my thrower again yesterday on EU 5.

I had a 1:1 kd ratio with throwing lances and some guy in the black samurai armour survived a close range hit in the chest. I have 10 PT.

When I swapped to my balanced heavy axes, I jumped to 2:1 or 3:1 kd ratio and finished all but 1 map in the top 3 (even topped it once).

The axes are a lot easier to aim and lead. The only trouble I had was hitting archers 20m away. If he was aware he could wait until I had thrown and then sidestep. No way I could hit him. Happened on several occasions.
If they weren't looking however and I hit them, it was usually a 1 hit kill.

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline Poetrydog

• Noble
  • Renown: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Poetrydog, Fallen_Santa_Rudolph, Fallen_Poetryfox
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2011, 09:09:26 am »
Why nerf them? They are not the major problem with throwing. They are extremely inaccurate
Quote from: RamsesXXIX
Running around naked with 80 other guys.

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
  • Climbing in yo window, snatching yo people up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2011, 09:35:07 am »
Why nerf them? They are not the major problem with throwing. They are extremely inaccurate

Agreed. Its just uniformed whine. One of my alts is a thrower. I own throwing lances, but I never use them. There are just so many better choices in throwing than throwing lances in my opinion. I'm getting to the point with my character that I can 1 shot people with jarrids. Why pick a stack of 2 throwing lances when you can use another 1 hit wonder that is more accurate and has a bigger stack? No point whatsoever.

The problem with throwing isn't the high-tier stuff... its the easily accessible and accurate low-tier items.
So with PT >10 stones become simple too effective
:lol:

Offline Poetrydog

• Noble
  • Renown: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Poetrydog, Fallen_Santa_Rudolph, Fallen_Poetryfox
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2011, 09:48:48 am »
Agreed. Its just uniformed whine. One of my alts is a thrower. I own throwing lances, but I never use them. There are just so many better choices in throwing than throwing lances in my opinion. I'm getting to the point with my character that I can 1 shot people with jarrids. Why pick a stack of 2 throwing lances when you can use another 1 hit wonder that is more accurate and has a bigger stack? No point whatsoever.

The problem with throwing isn't the high-tier stuff... its the easily accessible and accurate low-tier items.
Exactly!  :)
Quote from: RamsesXXIX
Running around naked with 80 other guys.

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2011, 10:08:06 am »
I had a round last night with 4 stacks of lances all breaking at the same time. That's a 4x 500+ repairbill.

Ouch.

Heavy axes are 250 something gold. I've had only a few occasions with someone surviving more than 2 hits.

Offline Wiegraf_BRD

• Noble
  • Renown: 22
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
  • 我行我素
    • View Profile
    • 土豆網 > Google
  • Faction: Taiwanese and Chinese Army
  • Game nicks: Wretch. The_Mayor.
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2011, 10:27:43 am »