Should Throwing Lances be removed?

Yes
92 (41.8%)
Severely nerfed
53 (24.1%)
No
75 (34.1%)

Total Members Voted: 220

Author Topic: Remove Throwing Lances  (Read 10593 times)

Offline Poetrydog

• Noble
  • Renown: 15
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Poetrydog, Fallen_Santa_Rudolph, Fallen_Poetryfox
Re: Remove Throwing Lances
« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2011, 10:38:23 am »
keep em.
lower the amount one can carry maybe.
Well you can carry 8 at most and then you don't have any melee weapon
Quote from: RamsesXXIX
Running around naked with 80 other guys.

Offline Dravic

• Knight
  • Renown: 78
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Not playing
  • Game nicks: Not playing
  • IRC nick: Most likely Dravic
« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2011, 02:47:32 pm »
Except for fact that 8 lances = 8 kills, also you have weapon - lance can be used VERY effectively in melee. As it has sideswings, overhead and stab + incredible speed.

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2011, 03:15:53 pm »
Except for fact that 8 lances = 8 kills, also you have weapon - lance can be used VERY effectively in melee. As it has sideswings, overhead and stab + incredible speed.

Remember that lances getting caught in shields or siege equipment (towers/ladder and the like) get lost and that most of the time you're throwing your lances in the direction of the enemy. That means that your missed lances end up somewhere behind enemy lines.

Also, if you happen to miss someone charging you a few times, you're forced to melee mode and I've never been able to get of 7 throws at one person before he gets to me. In melee mode, the sideswings deal 16 blunt damage. So unless you have huge PS, you're going to bounce off armour a lot. Even if you get through the armour, the hits hardly deal damage. The thrust attack is a different story, that's quite powerful. I find the 1h axes much more usefull in melee mode though.

In short, I've never made 8 kills with 8 throwing lances.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline hotcobbler

• Knight
  • Renown: 33
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
  • Jesus or a gun? How about both son?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Order of the Knights Hospitaller
  • Game nicks: Hospitaller_Featherbottom
« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2011, 03:26:21 pm »
I'm a dedicated str thrower right now, and I don't even use the things, though I bought them to try out. Bottom line is, they are balanced by extreme cost, horrible (I mean really horrible) accuracy, and ammo.

Often, you don't even hit something right in front of you.
Damn right I drink beer sideways.

Offline Memento_Mori

• Count
  • Renown: 187
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
  • I use these forums to hook up with hot ladies
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Memento_Mori, Sengo_Muramasa, Born_Of_Osiris,
« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2011, 04:17:59 pm »
All throwing weapons

Except daggers, darts, knives, shurikens

should have a -1 to their ammo.

just my opinion, -1 at the LEAST
to counter the fact that there are SOOO many throwers now.

Offline tankmen

• Knight
  • Renown: 65
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2011, 04:19:59 pm »
remove throwing lances +1

as for inaccurate i watched throwy hit people with a throwing lance at range, only throwing one n hitting each time
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 04:23:59 pm by tankmen »
The purpose of wearing plate has become nothing more than crippling yourself to look like a knight... or maybe its my lack of athletics

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
  • Climbing in yo window, snatching yo people up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2011, 06:27:22 pm »
remove throwing lances +1

as for inaccurate i watched throwy hit people with a throwing lance at range, only throwing one n hitting each time

visitors can't see pics , please
register or login

If you took a scientific approach to this, and had somone stand 25 yards away (assuming all players are about 5 feet tall as a unit of measurement) and threw 12 lances at them... respawn and repeat, then reported the results, I'm sure you would find maybe 1 out of 12 would hit at that range.

At closer range (say 5 yards) maybe about 3 out of 12 would hit the target if they were standing still.... and not using a shield.

They really aren't as strong as you guys are painting them out to be. Carry a cheapo shield and do some footwork and you can get into melee range against a lance thrower. I do it to native all the time with my main (two handed polearm wielder) and he's one of the best throwers on the NA servers.
So with PT >10 stones become simple too effective
:lol:

Offline Dravic

• Knight
  • Renown: 78
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Not playing
  • Game nicks: Not playing
  • IRC nick: Most likely Dravic
« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2011, 09:13:06 pm »
But they kill horsies in one hit. That is IDIOTIC if we consider broken game balance...

Offline EponiCo

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Aine
« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2011, 09:33:28 pm »
In soviet russia everywhere horsies kill you in one hit too. Fair is fair.

Offline Mustang_Sweets

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • Avid rum drinker.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Free Companies of Caldaria (Bridge Burners)
  • Game nicks: Stang_the_Swilling
« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2011, 09:40:37 pm »
Well you can carry 8 at most and then you don't have any melee weapon
Wrong in order to get to use the throw lance you end up having enough strength to pick up any weapon off the field let alone recover any other throw lances or throwing weapons. Basicly a throw lancers can always have a weapon and pretty much can always be 1 shotter. I say the weapon itself yes should be removed both on the fact that, what culture threw a large heavy lance at someone (Flavor), the fact that it is way too OP for a ranged weapon, and finally why the hell is it basicly me throwing the Double sided lance? The double sided lance is the only lance that holds no penalty with shield and thus seemingly giving it the feel that it was made to be balanced and versatile, yet since it is a lance it should be too long to actually be hurled effectively.

On the note of it not being able to be hurled effectively is say instead of slowing down throw speed and the like for debuffing throwers in general i say add a whiffing factor at about 100-160 and under don't know how many meters/feet that is IRL, but I doubt someone at about the range of a poleaxe or flamberge could effectivly launch someone into you with enough force to truly harm you. All on the fact that it is going off your force at throw and not of the add force of its weight and gravity. Or with the fact that throwing spears are too long to truly leave the hand correctly at this distance and the axe and daggers wont have the rotation do land with blade out.(Ask for ninja star...ninja please.)

I wrote an essay with bad grammar, DERP!
I wear armor to protect myself from team mates.

That's right I am the beast master. Now, prepare to be tamed bitches!

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2011, 09:51:41 pm »
keep em.
lower the amount one can carry maybe.

So, one lance?

Does anyone check the stats and use the weapons that they want to nerf before adding suggestions?
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline EponiCo

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Aine
« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2011, 11:36:09 pm »
I say the weapon itself yes should be removed both on the fact that, what culture threw a large heavy lance at someone (Flavor), the fact that it is way too OP for a ranged weapon, and finally why the hell is it basicly me throwing the Double sided lance?

There were many. Landsknechte, Stratiots, Irish all used to throw spears that were longer than the thrower. Stradiot throwing spears may have actually been twosided.
It also makes some sense a throwing weapon does more damage than a melee weapon. They were designed to bend and stick (causing more wounds as well as inferfering with movement) while melee weapons were designed for easy recovery.
What makes absolutely no sense is the amount of stuff one can carry. Where do those 8 2m spears or 16 axes come from? If anything he'd carry 2 lances or 5 small javelins at best.

Offline Laufknoten

• Earl
  • Renown: 480
  • Infamy: 63
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
  • BOAT OF ANGER FLOATING ON THE SEA OF TEARS
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Felipe
« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2011, 11:55:05 pm »
Just remove them. Throwmy old friends don't have the right to complain anyway.

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #58 on: March 03, 2011, 12:24:00 am »
But they kill horsies in one hit. That is IDIOTIC if we consider broken game balance...

What is idiotic is that Cavalry players get 1 hit KILLS every other swing of their weapon. You are complaining because your inventory is now short one item, because THAT's what a horse is, an inventory item.
But you are right, 1 hit KILLS don't belong in game, so please nerf the cavalry speed bonus as the OP definitely does not approve of them.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline ShinySpoons

• Baron
  • Renown: 143
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: RS
  • Game nicks: AltOfSpoons
« Reply #59 on: March 03, 2011, 02:55:27 am »
Most people posting don't seem to have actually USED throwing lances :/  Sometimes I'll have a streak of good luck where my lances actaully hit things. Other times...I'll spend the entire round chasing after my misses.

The complainers seem to be basing their nerf requests on the fact they've only noticed throwing lances when they die to them, they don't notice the previous 8 times the thrower missed.