Author Topic: A proposal  (Read 2921 times)

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2698
  • Infamy: 834
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
Re: A proposal
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2012, 12:33:13 pm »
Furthermore, getting 10 people to work more or less together is already difficult. Getting 100 people (even without rogues, yet with 100 people the probability of someone with bad intentions is not negligible) to work remotely together is extremely difficult. Even for something as "simple" as creating buildings, you still have to standardize atleast size, quality, different styles, complexity. And the actual placement of those models on the map will be even more complicated, if you want to have cities matching in size with real ones (on a determined point in time ofc.), and accurate distances between them, as well as balancing the density between regions that will get a lot of work done and regions that won't etc.

Of course, it would be hard but not impossible. There should be some serious selection and I'm pretty sure we have enough decent people who are willing to spend some time placing pre-made models on the ground. Buildings would be standardized, of course. Made by 5-10 people max (who know how to work). A lot of people place Google SketchUp models on Google Earth everyday...

And about size of such cities, they can be real life size but for a start it would be best to make them just a bit better than this shit we already have in Warband. Just take a look at Warbands terrain and buildings. It's so simple, crappy terrain textures, a stone and grass here and there. A lot of useless barrels, carts in towns. And most buildings are crappy models and you can't enter them. It's nothing to brag about, making such map isn't really hard thing to do, especially if you have good editor.

Offline Harald

• The old
  • Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 22
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2012, 12:34:03 pm »
+1
I like Overgrowth, highly polished indie game with lots of attention to detail. But they are working on it since end of 2008! And they already have experience how to build such an engine (previous game was Lugaru). As much as i would like to see/be part of such a project i think you are underestimating the effort it would take.

EDIT: and i think it is just one guy doing the engine, at least it sounds like that when you follow his weekly youtube videos. And there is another one doing art and level stuff.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 12:37:50 pm by Harald »

Offline Meow

• Awesome Consulting Detective
  • King
  • Renown: 1071
  • Infamy: 150
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2012, 01:18:12 pm »
+1
  • Add more Sarranid stuff
  • PR campaign in Dubai
  • Get oil sheikhs hooked
  • ???
  • Profit!

Besides the obvious financial problem and necessary restructuring of the team as well as adding people to fill required positions that come with being an actual company,
I am not sure everyone would want to give up the whole hobby/cba/relaxed feeling.
No question, as much as the rest of you i would like to see that game!

I can not exactly judge the amount of money required to actually keep a full time dev team from starvation for the development time of a project like this.

Furthermore i myself can't just like that start doing professional stuff, everything i did so far is complete trial&error.
Can't speak for the others as we for sure have a lot of very capable people in the current team.

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 481
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Thomek
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2012, 01:25:11 pm »
Big brother of my good friend was lead designer of a certain mmo.. They got most of their funding from some arab prince thing.

I have no idea how etc, but that's how they got it going.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2012, 01:31:43 pm »
Our player base seems way to small to be able to really fund it. Not to mention we scare people away and so we are hardly likely to see a big influx of new peeps anytime soon.

Some one crunch the REAL math. If everyone put in 15 euros what would that get the dev team?

PS next time I win lotto I'll keep you guys in mind.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 01:35:50 pm by FRANK_THE_TANK »
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline Strudog

• Marshall
  • Renown: 922
  • Infamy: 361
  • A Dog
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Britfag
  • Game nicks: Strudog
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2012, 01:37:01 pm »
The best idea for cRPG would be going to a bigger gaming company and offering them the idea of a new stand alone game. Im sure some would be interested for the amount of people who play the mod (or have done). The dev team would possibly work along side i dunno....  . But before doing that i would see fit the copyright of the idea before its done (if someone hasnt already).

And to what pretty much what everyone else is saying, for an investment to have the game up and running within a few years would require a full time team working on cresting making it pretty much impossible for an investment from the c-rpg community. An investment from the c-rpg community would probably amke it +5 years minimum. People need a reality check to when they think a game can spring out of nothing.

The only example that i can think of would be NTW3 for Napoleon total war. Development started in 2005/06 with NTWon rome total war. 5 years down the line they have only just release NTW3 as a full mod for Napoleon total war. They have worked closely with creative assembly in the past in the first creation of their mod and i have heard rumours that it is now becoming a stand alone game. This will take a few further years,

Pls strap your heads on brfore commenting
This is the internet.
Men are men
Women are men
Little girls are FBI agents.
Those are the rules no?

Offline Thovex

• Marshall
  • Renown: 851
  • Infamy: 210
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Thovex
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2012, 01:41:34 pm »
I like Overgrowth, highly polished indie game with lots of attention to detail. But they are working on it since end of 2008! And they already have experience how to build such an engine (previous game was Lugaru). As much as i would like to see/be part of such a project i think you are underestimating the effort it would take.

EDIT: and i think it is just one guy doing the engine, at least it sounds like that when you follow his weekly youtube videos. And there is another one doing art and level stuff.

Yeah, Overgrowth is the shit, I bought it immediatly.  :P

Offline a_bear_irl

• Duke
  • Renown: 540
  • Infamy: 252
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2012, 02:00:51 pm »
+1
The best idea for cRPG would be going to a bigger gaming company and offering them the idea of a new stand alone game. Im sure some would be interested for the amount of people who play the mod (or have done). The dev team would possibly work along side i dunno....  . But before doing that i would see fit the copyright of the idea before its done (if someone hasnt already).

And to what pretty much what everyone else is saying, for an investment to have the game up and running within a few years would require a full time team working on cresting making it pretty much impossible for an investment from the c-rpg community. An investment from the c-rpg community would probably amke it +5 years minimum. People need a reality check to when they think a game can spring out of nothing.

The only example that i can think of would be NTW3 for Napoleon total war. Development started in 2005/06 with NTWon rome total war. 5 years down the line they have only just release NTW3 as a full mod for Napoleon total war. They have worked closely with creative assembly in the past in the first creation of their mod and i have heard rumours that it is now becoming a stand alone game. This will take a few further years,

Pls strap your heads on brfore commenting

that wouldn't work because the sales pitch would be "hey, you know that game mount and blade? no? oh it's this really niche game made in a turkish garage, well anyway we took it and made it even spergier and have an even smaller playbase, can you give us a couple million dollars to make it a standalone game? no? well why not?"

a standalone CRPG wouldn't make money, and if it did it wouldn't be enough to be able to justify (from an investors pov) investing a couple million bucks. you'd have to buy offices, computers, pay relocation costs, hire more staff, etc. and there's no guarantee the result would be worth playing anyway. look at darkfall as an example - aventurine is an established company with a "real" business and offices and staff and they still started running out of money and released a broken piece of shit after way too long.
FREE ALLERS

Offline Jacko

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 839
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fffnanguard!
  • Game nicks: Jacko
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2012, 02:11:12 pm »
Payed adminship? I can live with that.

I have no doubt that the concept of cRPG could be profitable, as an indie game, developed like it is now, over the internet with as few costs as possible. But, I kind of doubt the will or intention to take it That far. It's a huge commitment, moneywise and timewise.

But it's an interesting thought.
Monkeys!

Offline Radament

• King
  • Renown: 1071
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • ☑Yes ☒No
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction
  • Game nicks: «Radament» «Miasma»
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2012, 02:23:25 pm »
+1
take my money !!

but seriously i prefer this engine -->http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7f3HDsgLV68

Offline Tomas_of_Miles

• Count
  • Renown: 263
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player
  • Inactive
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Rusty mercenary siege engineer
  • Game nicks: Something with Tomas in it
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2012, 02:30:39 pm »
I don't doubt the ability of the devs in making a fresh game, but I do think if they did do a commercial game, cRPG would die.
Professional poop cleaner

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2012, 03:10:53 pm »
I am willing to pretend that I am an oil sheikh if the future game will not have a ranged option.

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2012, 03:36:56 pm »
I am willing to pretend that I am an oil sheikh if the future game will not have a ranged option.

pst... you're in the wrong clan if you hate ranged that much! (unless you joined to avoid fighting against them ;) )

On topic, yes it would be awesome if the cRPG concept/similar gameplay was pushed out as a full game instead of a mod, and yes I have (relatively  :twisted:) strong faith that the dev team would do a great job.

But it would also be awesome if Rooney Mara crashed through the wall of my house and offered me a $5 million annual salary to be her exclusive love slave.
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 481
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Thomek
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2012, 03:37:47 pm »
well..

This is discussion is relatively hypotethical as we have no idea if chadzboys have any ambitions in this direction whatsoever.. Keep that in mind.

On another note, I believe M&B was the first, or at least one of the first games that started taking money for beta versions. Same method that made Minecraft a millions of dollar business. (Perhaps the minecraft success took place in a better way, in a different social media enviroment and had more novelty value)

IDK, but I think the rageball we have here is pretty damn unique and cool, and could be used as a demonstration of something else. (Just imagine massive multiplayer american football or soccer)  Rageball as it is, is not sellable because its prerequisite is massive amount of super steep learning curve and cRPG play..

I think the cRPG team could capitalize on their strengths if they had the right mindset. But perhaps they cba and that's fine :) It is a bit weird though cause I have the impression they have mad coding skills, great game ideas, do what they like, love what they do etc. No reason to do anything else in life if you are good at what you love to do is it?   :wink:

To be a bit critical of them, I think they may lack a bit of leadership, vision and direction.. Perhaps chadzius hate bawses and don't want to be one?

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.

Offline karasu

• King
  • Renown: 1751
  • Infamy: 316
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • D̶͎̳͒́͗͋ẹ͕̲̠̳̄̃͂ͤ͑ͮṃ̮͎̗̦̏̿͊ͤi̥̪̼͕ͦ̀̊̐ȗ̘rͩ͋̅̊gͭ̿̋
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2012, 03:49:09 pm »
The minecraft bloom was mainly (as in 90%) due to the embrace that the 4chan community took on it since day 1. We're talking about huge numbers here.