Author Topic: Autobalance - bring your suggestions  (Read 6303 times)

Offline Espu

• The good
  • Count
  • Renown: 261
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Espu
Re: Autobalance - bring your suggestions
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2011, 03:35:08 pm »
Right now, other than having fun, there's no reason to play on the siege servers.

Quote of the year.

I say we remove xp and gold gain from all servers.

Offline Wookimonsta

• Hoopy frood
  • Count
  • Renown: 206
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2011, 03:35:16 pm »
other than having fun, there's no reason to play on the siege servers.

GO HAVE FUN!
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
<dexxtaa> I just saw nakey ladies and I left
<@Fasader> dexxtaa is clearly gay

Offline Leiknir

• Baron
  • Renown: 81
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen of Fenada / SeaRaiders
  • Game nicks: Leiknir
  • IRC nick: Leiknir
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2011, 03:45:02 pm »
I have never had more than 2-3 rounds on a x5 multiplier in sieges, where my record so far on battle is 16 rounds on a x5 multiplier.
While some poor guy had 16 rounds of x1 in battle. I think it is fine in siege, you are able to get the x2 and x3 easier, but x5 is more scarce.

Ontopic: I don't know what to change, it feels good right now (playing mostly siege and small battle servers with friends). Seldom you get a map with 4:0. I remember when the DRZ did clanstack half of one team, they went 4:0 first, but every round another good player of their team got balanced over, the map did end with 5:4, was quite nice seeing everything working that nicely.
Ideas like sorting by cav/inf/ranged won't really work. I got 5 riding and a charger, am I cav now? Not really, I only use them on few maps or when playing alone and music turned on to the max. And you can't balance me after I spawned with or without a horse, I think there are plenty people that got riding just for fun out there.
The idea about sorting by strategus faction is a nice idea, but what are 2 buddies that just want to play together, yet are in different factions, going to do?

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2011, 03:45:41 pm »
I play exclusively on the siege servers, so having fun is all I do :)

It's just annoying when clanmates advance generations twice as fast in the same playtime. They can try more different builds/playstyles/etc. Especially when I have a feeling it's being caused by the autobalance which is what this thread is about.

While some poor guy had 16 rounds of x1 in battle. I think it is fine in siege, you are able to get the x2 and x3 easier, but x5 is more scarce.

You have the same chances to get x2 as battle and I have yet to get a 10 round or more x1 streak in battle. Unless you are really unlucky and hit a few 1:5 or 5:0 maps while being balanced to the losing team all the time. But that never happened to me.
The average multiplier is a bit higher for battle.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 03:48:34 pm by Spawny »

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline Kalam

• Duke
  • Renown: 697
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Never do an enemy a small injury.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Linebreakers
  • Game nicks: Cavalieres_Midnighter, Dunsparrow
  • IRC nick: Kalam
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2011, 03:48:25 pm »
With banner balance, we can usually guarantee a x5 for an hour or more. o.O

To most of us, of course, that's awesome, but I believe it might be a problem for pubs.

Offline Leiknir

• Baron
  • Renown: 81
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen of Fenada / SeaRaiders
  • Game nicks: Leiknir
  • IRC nick: Leiknir
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2011, 03:51:03 pm »
You have the same chances to get x2 as battle and I have yet to get a 10 round or more x1 streak in battle. Unless you are really unlucky and hit a few 1:5 or 5:0 maps while being balanced to the losing team all the time. But that never happened to me.

Pure statistics, why should the % chance to get a 10 rounds winning spree be any different than the one of a 10 times losing spree? (not counting in GTXs, ofc)

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2011, 05:07:23 pm »
I am  happy with the banner balance.

I want this, and only this at the moment: Break the Spectator mode where if you die, you can only spectate members of the same team you were on when you died.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline 3ABP

• Knight
  • Renown: 34
  • Infamy: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2011, 05:22:49 pm »
Answer me those 2 questions (especially b):

a) what do you think of current autobalance (either by banner or the normal one - although they work on the same principle)
After "banner ballance" options implementation all other balance options for me and my friends - are no more acceptable.

Current autobalance is a very good step to the right direction (banner balance)
Very good, but only as a first step. Here is need at least one more.

I (and my friends) very like this new options "autobalance by banner".
Now we just can't imagine - how it is to play without "banner balance"

But here is a some "bugs" or "not exactly correct working things".
(see below suggestions)

==========================================
b) how exactly do you think a proper autobalance for cRPG should work? you can make up any variables you want, bringing a formula doesn't hurt either.

First of all - It would be nice to see a current Formula (not a joke).

Let’s define some variables and some rules (what developing formula must lead):
(Btw here will raise questions that could apply not only to the current problem, but also to a wider class of problems.
Such issues will be highlighted in blue.

Team_X (Team_A and Team_B) = quantity of players in one team (A or B)
TotalPlayers = Team_A+Team_B = total players in both teams
Banner_X = quantity of players with one banner on the server (Banner_HRE or Banner_STR or Banner_Merc e.t.c.)
RoundDmgByPlayer_A = Damage dealt by player "A" to the enemy team in one round. If it can be stored and displayed at the end of the round - would be nice.
MapDmgByPlayer_A = Damage dealt by player "A" to the enemy team in all round on the current map. If it can be stored and displayed at the end of the round and at the end of the map -  would be nice.
PlayerWeightGlobal_A = "weight" of the "A" player (global, in long run_. Weight = helpfulness (correct word?) of current player to the team.
It can be as just a simple variable = kill\death, but also can be a complex variable = function of more than 2 (kill and death) variables.
Overall weight on very long time period (whole player\character live - counted from birth or from "rebirth" if it is a "child" ).
PlayerWeightLocal_A = "weight" of the "A" player on the current map. This variable added to avoid big counting process and wasting resources on that.
At the every map end - all info about player (doesn't matter exactly what info - just K\D or much more) sending to the main DB and PlayerWeightGlobal_A(old) recalculating with just received from server PlayerWeightLocal_A. And when new map starts - on the new map now will be showed on old PlayerWeightGlobal_A, but recalculated. So we can use 2 different variables to make a team’s more balanced - "long run" variable and "short run".
It is very good, because players can be very weak at start of playing by this character (some weeks ago), but if he is very good playing right now - we will count this too (I mean this will effect on team balancing too).

Faction_X_player_A - as today every person may choose any banner (and in fact all player may just come to server to see what are 2 biggest faction in current game and just to change own banner to one of the "biggest faction in the game" banner, and here will be only 2 ^) different banner on the server... and in this case "banner balance" will not work as designed.... so - to avoid this - read next...). So - we must have an info - does this player "A" with banner "X" really belongs to Faction "X". Before this BTW must be implemented "cRPG faction engine", what allow to players to send a request to join to faction, and allow to faction leaders to accept or reject this request. In this case only real faction members will be recognized as "players group", and "fake" members will be not counted (as it must be).

Here is 3 main procedures\algorithms oriented to split players\group_of_players into 2 teams.
1. Before first round - "first roster" splitting.
2. Some parts of algorithm may working at the every round end counting from the 2nd)
3. Full algorithm working only between round 1 and 2 - to let all player are able to join and all will be counted

=================================================
Lets start from this, because it is a "main" and other are only part of this.
Algorithm of splitting players between teams (banner balance oriented):
(3.Full algorithm working only between round 1 and 2 - to let all player are able to join and all will be counted).

Full Algorithm
(click to show/hide)

What must be done after 3rd and all next rounds
2. Some parts of algorithm may working at the every round end counting from the 2nd)
(click to show/hide)

1.Before first round - "first roster" splitting.
(click to show/hide)

That’s all.

A concrete realization (the exact values and other details) are not important.
              [STR] Strangers Faction

Offline Devilize

• Baron
  • Renown: 125
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
  • GOD WILLS IT!!!
    • View Profile
    • cRPG_NA Server info
  • Faction: Knights Hospitaller
  • Game nicks: Hospitaller_Devilize, Hospitaller_Devil_Eyez
  • IRC nick: Devilize
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2011, 06:10:51 pm »

a) what do you think of current autobalance (either by banner or the normal one - although they work on the same principle)

I think banner balance works well overall, however, could use some work.

b) how exactly do you think a proper autobalance for cRPG should work? you can make up any variables you want, bringing a formula doesn't hurt either.

• Method of considering skill point allocation

When the balance system doesn't seem to work giving way for map scores of 4 - 0 before the next map rotation I find in large part that the team that won had a flood of a particular class that suffocated the enemy team. whether it be archers or cavalry I find that if the teams do not have a balanced ratio of classes and the conditions are right (cavalry map) one team could end up being slaughtered.

Is there a way we can have the stats checked so that if 10 players have points into, for example, cavalry the majority of them are not placed on the same team. Yet at the same time keep the priority below banner balance.

• Method of considering Long-term K/D

I've been given info, not from you chadz, but from people that work with you that player lvl is considered for balance. I think in some ways that's ok, however, in a game that puts more focus on player skill over player lvl I'm not sure that balancing lvl's would do much of anything. After all there are several players at lvl 15 that could put the beat down on a lvl 30 and many of them do. I also don't think that K/D alone can balance the system but it may be more accurate when added as a varible along with others.

Instead of just considering the current K/D during the map rotation perhaps an added variable of long-term K/D pulled from the web host.

• Method of considering Assists

I understand that since the latest taleworlds patch it may be possible to add a new stat, assists. Now that damage instead of just deaths can be recorded. If this is truly available the assist stat could also benefit the balance system as, namely, the archer class makes its living off of assist that are unaccounted for.

• Method of considering clan tag
               This is kind of an alternative method to banner balance. There are obvious cons to this method but the pros are that people cant switch their banner on the fly to play with a clan that is the majority within a server. The balance system considers the player's first three letters and groups it to player names that alphabetically match those three letters. I'm aware people could just change their name but I see that as being few and far between.

Offline SteelDevil

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • IM NO GODDAMN PEASANT
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Hellfire
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2011, 06:38:06 pm »
another way is to put the ppl in classes on the site means let em choose infantry cavalry or archers
and have restrictions for these classes on the servers, means for instance 10 archers each side 10 cav 10 infantry

and in order to prevent the users from choosing the wrong class u wont let archers and infantry spawn with a horse, infantry wont be able to have bows

also give the 3 classes different colours in their names and game list.

that way at least u wont have 30 archers against 30 infantry for instance :d

Offline Heroin

• Baron
  • Renown: 135
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
  • cRPG NA Server Admin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: MB
  • Game nicks: BlackHand_Heroin, Heroin_ATS, Heroin__JaBoNRA, Heroine_Heroin_MB, F8
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2011, 09:36:38 pm »
a.) I think the banner balance is awesome. The standard auto-balance could use a bit of tweaking.
b.) I think the current formula is good, but I think it would be better if it was tweaked slightly with the following adjustments:

I think it would be a VAST improvement to auto-balance if it didn't ONLY take level and K:D into account. If you can track wins:losses, I think pairing the current system with a 1:1 win/loss system would be ideal, and make auto-balance function very well. There are some types of players that tend to make their team win without having a high K:D ratio themselves(ie, archers that constantly stun enemies who then get killed by someone else.)

I think if the above system were implemented, we'd see much closer matches.

NOTE: If we DO get an autobalance system in place that works so well as to be nearly even every time, I'd suggest we alter the XP system. It's a serious grind to get to level 30 at x1 or x2, which would be the average if autobalance worked as intended.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 09:37:52 pm by Heroin »
Quote from: Godfrey of Ibelin
I once fought for two days with an arrow through my testicle.

Offline Immolarian

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Immolarious
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2011, 09:43:11 pm »
Team balance is fine at the moment if you ask me.

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2011, 10:35:11 pm »
With banner balance, we can usually guarantee a x5 for an hour or more. o.O

To most of us, of course, that's awesome, but I believe it might be a problem for pubs.
Yeah BRD (or any other coordinated group) takes a server for literally hours of x5 streaks unless an opposing clan shows up or the autobalancer breaks us apart, but that doesn't happen for very long. There are a lot of players who jut put our banner on when we are in and ride the train to 5x land. I think my current record is a 2 and a half hour X5 streak (at no point did I lose that multiplier) on the siege server, and I don't play that often.  I have only retired once after the new system was put in place. A normal day of CRPG consists of: Get on and get a 5x streak for an hour, get balanced away and lose it, get it back again for another hour. Repeat.

The current system is kind of flawed, but no matter what you do there will be some way that people will take an edge in the calculations over others. Having banner balance is absolutely amazing to be able to play with your friends and all -- but it doesn't guarantee it & it is a bit abusable with people who put on a winning clan's banner. The current balance system with banner balance favors small groups of elite players working together. period. Large clans can pull it off but to less of an extent -- they get balanced apart often. But a small number of say, 7 players or less, they will pretty much be guaranteed to be together. The random non-clanned player when a dominating force is in a server is relinquished to almost always having x2 or x1. It must really suck to play this game without competent friends unless you are some sort of beast that always goes 10-1.

I understand that we should be rewarded for doing well but it seems mean that everyone has to suffer such low XP gain while I'm almost guaranteed 5x for playing well with my friends. I honestly support a higher base XP gain (see: 2000 base EXP rather than 1k) but winning only makes it go to a 2x multiplier, and for it to not go any higher. As it is now I have hours of x5 when we play so if you made this change I personally would be getting less. However, the normal player would be getting more and the incentive to win IS STILL HUGE. This current system is mean to the average public player.

There really needs to be an internal 'buddy' or 'group' system in place where you can, for example, put in friends you want to play with or something. However, that would be quite a project to make so it won't happen. if you make the above change to the base EXP then the latter would be less important as banner balance wouldn't be some OP crazy thing. I like playing with my friends but this is... agh. I don't like feeling bad when we are killing them already.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 10:52:39 pm by Marathon »
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline MrShovelFace

• Baron
  • Renown: 119
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
  • Nobody cares about who I am or what I think
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2011, 10:46:25 pm »
http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,1981.0.html

there u go chadz

basics of the principle is a self adjusting timer that finds, adjusts, and saves the optimal times for individual maps

(siege maps and possibly other game modes in the future)

This system would allow castles of both small and large sizes to be put on one server
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 10:49:17 pm by MrShovelFace »
Nobody cares about who I am or what I think

Offline Toffi

• Knight
  • Renown: 43
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Honoured Guard)
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2011, 01:37:10 pm »
I think the banner- balance works fine, that#s one of the good new things that you can finally play together with your friends. If you lose or not, it's just more fun.