Author Topic: Autobalance - bring your suggestions  (Read 6286 times)

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 3188
  • Infamy: 724
  • Sir Black King A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: irc://
  • IRC nick: chadz
Autobalance - bring your suggestions
« on: February 25, 2011, 12:02:20 pm »
Answer me those 2 questions (especially b):

a) what do you think of current autobalance (either by banner or the normal one - although they work on the same principle)
b) how exactly do you think a proper autobalance for cRPG should work? you can make up any variables you want, bringing a formula doesn't hurt either.

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
  • Renown: 611
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Autobalance - bring your suggestions
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 12:04:45 pm »
I wouldent mind a clan banner server DB if that is possible, where tags are added to a banner. Would be sweet, please tell me thou can do this?

Offline Phazey

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Phaz, Merc_Phazh, Merc_Phazhe, Merc_Phazhey and Merc_Phazey
  • IRC nick: Phazh
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 12:10:08 pm »
at the risk of stating the obvious:

a) i love the banner autobalance and like the normal system. it seems to work pretty well.

b) i think it's really nice if the auto balance system takes banners into account: being able to end up on the same tean with friends and clanmates is a must-have feature. for general game balance, it might be nice to somehow take player level and / or kill to death ratio into account aswell.

in general, i'm pretty happy with the current system, to be honest.  :)

Offline SteelDevil

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • IM NO GODDAMN PEASANT
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Hellfire
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 12:28:48 pm »
banner only or no auto balance :p

would seem hard to fix the thang.. mm

well how bout just evening out the numbers so both teams have equal player numbers, by taking the ones lowest in the list (the teamkillers afkers or simply the unlucky ones ) to even out the teams

Offline SteelDevil

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
  • IM NO GODDAMN PEASANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 12:46:02 pm »
mm heres a suggestion for you^

remember how we play in two teams ? sarranid vs nords for instance ?

what if u renamed the whole thing into 2 permanent kingdoms at war ?

so every round u will have 2 the same parties

and now for the balance what u do is u let all the existing clans choose one of these kingdoms

for instance clans who are at war with each other can join opposite kingdoms which puts more fuel into it^

and same for alliances between clans can be strengthened of course by always being on the same site.

what i mean with choosing is a permanent choice which lets u join only one kingdom, the information being saved on the crpg char page, also u could change the desired kingdom there.

and for non clan ppl they oughta be able to choose freely ( no autobalance. )

of course that would bring a problem with it too cuz if u have too many on one site of course it wouldnt function properly, but u could make it function by filling up the slots that are missing with the non clan ppl :>

that unique enough of an idea?^^

Offline SteelDevil

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
  • IM NO GODDAMN PEASANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 12:54:42 pm »
clan leaders acting as vassals of the very kingdoms, their soldiers as their army :>

its called cRPG after all. :D:D

and yes i dont like the edit button^

Offline Punisher

• Baron
  • Renown: 127
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Punisher
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 01:02:11 pm »
Banner balance should be replaced by faction balance - just make a faction field in your cRPG page that is linked to your Strategus faction. This way clanmates can fight together without having random people wearing their banner for autobalance purposes. One big flaw in the current banner balance system is that sometimes 2 clans get to fight on one side versus a bunch of random people. It would be fair that clans that have more than 5 members online (just an example) get assigned to different teams.

Also the balance system should somehow consider the class people play (to keep it simple, if you have a horse you are cav, a bow/xbow ranged, otherwise infantry) and keep the numbers even, there are a lot of situations when a team gets most archers or cav and this usually leads to that team getting the x5.

With the current balance system, 80% of the maps either a team doesn't get balanced enough and wins 5-0 or it gets completely destroyed by the autobalance after the first round and loses 1-5. But this is also due to the highly unbalanced singleplayer village maps that roll on EU1 and EU2, where the defending team wins most times.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 01:06:43 pm by Punisher »

Offline Vexus

• Count
  • Renown: 198
  • Infamy: 41
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Deus_Mortis
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 01:03:21 pm »
Banner balance is good but sometimes it fucks up and makes teams unbalanced say 1 team having 90% of the archers/cav while the other team having very few.

Offline Joxer

• Knight
  • Renown: 55
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Autolycus Joxer_The_Mighty Salmoneus
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 01:16:48 pm »
Make it so that the spectator cam is locked on the view of your own team mates. That would reduce TS cheating quite a lot. Other than that I think it might need few tweaks here and there. Too much 5-0 going on.
Why is everybody telling me to think? I think, I just don't show it.

Offline POOPHAMMER

• King
  • Renown: 1509
  • Infamy: 328
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • yes thats me irl
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Barabe
  • Game nicks: POOPHAMMER
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011, 01:27:24 pm »
Banner balance more like banner stack. It is nice to be able to play with my clan on the same team and all, but when I see about 20+ people from the TS clan on the same team (using them as an example because I saw this happen the other day, could be any large clan) repeatedly rolling over the enemy it makes it a bit unbalanced for whoever isnt on the team with the bigger clans.

Autobalance is for balance, not stacking. It really does severely throw off the balance sometimes.

Also what that joxer idiot said about not being able to spectate the enemy is probably the first intelligent thing I have seen him post and I think that is a good idea to prevent people on voice chats from hunting down certain players after one of them dies. It happens more than you think.
Uther Pendragon: dont worry i wasnt planning on trusting you anyway

Offline SteelDevil

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
  • IM NO GODDAMN PEASANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2011, 01:34:18 pm »
Banner balance more like banner stack. It is nice to be able to play with my clan on the same team and all, but when I see about 20+ people from the TS clan on the same team (using them as an example because I saw this happen the other day, could be any large clan) repeatedly rolling over the enemy it makes it a bit unbalanced for whoever isnt on the team with the bigger clans.

Autobalance is for balance, not stacking. It really does severely throw off the balance sometimes.

Also what that joxer idiot said about not being able to spectate the enemy is probably the first intelligent thing I have seen him post and I think that is a good idea to prevent people on voice chats from hunting down certain players after one of them dies. It happens more than you think.

gotta have a small dick for that kind of thing :d

might aswell make a bountyhunter mod out of it^

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2011, 01:40:18 pm »
I wrote a topic with a suggestion, I'll link it here.

http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,2389.0.html

TL,DR: It's about "class" balance, to even out the type of players on both teams, so both teams have about the same "loadout" of players.
No ranged imbalance, no cavalry imbalance. I think it can work, if possible.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Punisher

• Baron
  • Renown: 127
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Punisher
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2011, 01:42:12 pm »
I wrote a topic with a suggestion, I'll link it here.

http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,2389.0.html

TL,DR: It's about "class" balance, to even out the type of players on both teams, so both teams have about the same "loadout" of players.
No ranged imbalance, no cavalry imbalance. I think it can work, if possible.

I agree but it can be much simpler - you equip a bow/xbow -> you are considered an archer, you equip a horse -> cav, no horse/bow/xbow -> infantry.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2011, 01:44:08 pm »
I agree but it can be much simpler - you equip a bow/xbow -> you are considered an archer, you equip a horse -> cav, no horse/bow/xbow -> infantry.

Or this, It was just a quick idea without consideration. A simpler, yet effective version of my idea. This is a lot better, ty Punisher.  :wink:

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2011, 03:08:35 pm »
Fix autobalance on the siege server.

Right now, other than having fun, there's no reason to play on the siege servers. You'll be spending the majority of the time at a 1x modifier because every round 50% or more of each team gets balanced.

Yesterday I played on siege and a clanmate on TS played the same time on battle. He made twice the amount of exp I made. This could be just bad luck (and the testsample is way too small), but overall the exp/gold is a lot lower on siegemode.
I have never had more than 2-3 rounds on a x5 multiplier in sieges, where my record so far on battle is 16 rounds on a x5 multiplier.

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)