Author Topic: Moving on?  (Read 2073 times)

Offline RatOnCrack

• Knight
  • Renown: 63
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jezzus
  • IRC nick: Jezzus
Moving on?
« on: January 23, 2012, 01:34:55 am »
I know you can all do what you want, ignore if you want, but i would just like to make you all realize something.

Two new medieval games are coming out i would guess 1-2 years max from now (Chivalry:medieval warfare and M&b2). When m&b 2 comes out (it has been announced, in case you dint know) most players won't want to play warband, they will move on. Clearly cRPG will not be as populated as it is now (people will quit, people will move on to newer games, etc).
When this happens, all of your hours of game time and all of your heirlooms and will be gone, the mod will die, you can't stop it even if it might not be within the next two years, it is going to happen.
I personally love the mod, i really do but i am trying not to get too attached to it for those reasons. I don't know any of the plans that the devs have for future projects, if they even have any. I'm not trying to depress anyone here but i have a few questions that i would like to ask (I don't actually expect anyone to answer me, i just really want you all to to understand and acknowledge what I'm trying to say)

Do the devs have any plans for m&b 2 (modding ofc), if you do, will you try to transfer the database (assuming it is possible)? Do you have any plans on ever finishing the mod? It's still in beta and the next m&b game is coming out in the near future, wake up people? Do any of you plan on removing the shitty battle and siege maps? Do you ever think about actually balancing things and not just nerfing it to shit?

You guys obviously have talent. I know it's not the same scale but look at Age of Chivalry is doing. They started off as modders and now they are making their own game. You guys could possibly also start actually making an indie game (i know it is wishful thinking). Again, i know it's not the same circumstances, but i really like the community and all of the effort and time that has been put into cRPG, the dev team really has potential.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.
Dint really know where to put this, sorry if it's in the wrong section.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 01:42:24 am by RatOnCrack »

Offline ilikere19

• Baron
  • Renown: 84
  • Infamy: 58
  • cRPG Player
  • »»───(knee)───►
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Murder Boner
  • Game nicks: Hallah
Re: Moving on?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 01:37:46 am »
I agree at 100% on what you say

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 3188
  • Infamy: 724
  • Sir Black King A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: irc://
  • IRC nick: chadz
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 01:46:41 am »
+7
.. i really do but i am trying not to get too attached to it for those reasons.

You're not getting too attached to a game because in 24 or even more months a sequel might come out?

I can promise you with that attitude you won't play many games in your lifetime :P

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 01:54:24 am by chadz »

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 02:05:04 am »
+2
On a more serious note, unless TW shows us the middle finger and reduces the moddability to a level where we cannot recreate the same functionality, we port cRPG over to M&B2. War of the Roses will be most likely no interesting target for us due to the low player limit and an assumable short game lifespan, and Age of Chivalry (no idea about the player limit) will be full of hyped kids, a sort of community I'd rather not get too close to. Our cRPG community might be trolling and hateful, but at least it's somewhat mature.

Errr... wut?  :shock:
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 02:06:14 am »
While I have no exact numbers, the forum average is probably 18 to 20, which is mature in my book.

Err, should have probably used "adult" instead of mature.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 02:07:15 am by chadz »

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 02:11:11 am »
As in mentally and physically mature, don't worry we all know you did not mean socially mature!  :lol: :lol: :lol:

The average age in The Fallen Brigade is about mid to late 20s. It's nice.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Blackzilla

• Earl
  • Renown: 451
  • Infamy: 108
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FIDLGB(strat/crpg),Dracul(Friends)
  • Game nicks: Blackzilla_FIDLGB, Helios The Shiny
  • IRC nick: Blackzilla
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 02:12:10 am »
Im below 18 :( I dont think age of chivalry will be very good and what if War of Roses turns out like Mount and Blade Fire and Sword? I think this game will still have a good population.

P.S how is this a suggestion?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 02:16:56 am by DoD_Blackzilla »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 02:13:02 am »
+5
I never would have guessed.

Nice avatar btw.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 02:14:34 am »
I did not notice the pink penis until you mentioned his avatar...
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Ninja_Khorin

• King
  • Renown: 1067
  • Infamy: 90
  • Zen
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Clan Ninja
  • Game nicks: Khorin/Keyoke/Lujan
  • IRC nick: Khorin
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 02:14:43 am »
+2
Step 1. Don't worry too much about looms 'n all that. If you enjoy the game they will come naturally. Grinding is stupid.

Step 2. ????

Step 3. Live a happy life.

Offline Blackzilla

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 02:17:46 am »
I never would have guessed.

Nice avatar btw.

Hhaha Reinhardt gave it to me! He didnt think i would make it my avatar. And Dexx has my old one so i cannot go back.

Edit: I used Dexx's old one and he is using it again.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 02:19:06 am by DoD_Blackzilla »

Offline Meow

• Awesome Consulting Detective
  • King
  • Renown: 1071
  • Infamy: 150
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2012, 02:30:27 am »
Pretty sure WoR will not be modable at all, their last game wasn't.

Their persistent progression will most likely be something like the average bf3/mw3 unlocks, we'll see.
Didn't bother reading all the interviews so i might as well be mistaken.

I kinda have my hopes up for M&B2, never worried about cRPG dying.
Too unique, too addicting and too many people who love playing it together.

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2012, 02:38:30 am »
Also usually the big mods manage to persist even if the initial developer quits work, because you always find someone in the community who is also capable of programming and keeps up the work. I saw this twice, both the mods I played the most, first Native Expansion, The Mercenary quitted because she (!) had to concentrate on her studies, I think it was Joseph the Pretender who continued the work, and later Othr stopped developing 1257ad, and DrTomas kept on and made it the best SP mod ever!

And if M&B2 makes many things better than M&B, you won't need a lot of features from this mod, for example the changed bow animations, the removed lolstab and other stuff.
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline Blackzilla

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2012, 02:40:18 am »

Too unique, too addicting and too many people who love playing it together.

This is why the mod will go on! I love the combat of this game. I've always wanted to play a game like this. there are none that compare to it.

Offline Brrrak

• Earl
  • Renown: 442
  • Infamy: 63
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Brrrak
Re: Sorry for the wall of text, but...
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2012, 03:03:41 am »
+3
You're not getting too attached to a game because in 24 or even more months a sequel might come out?

I can promise you with that attitude you won't play many games in your lifetime :P

(click to show/hide)

chadz doth grace us with his divine premonition, and thou dost reject it thus as the words of a madman?

But seriously: Mount and Blade was an incredible accomplishment by independent developers, with only biased users and upset developers as feedback.  With a second M&B, we can anticipate a great improvement toward both Taleworlds and independent modders, in both what they can do and what is possible.  cRPG has already both improved upon and expanded a system which has been developed by people who are new to the game development community.  I don't come here to pretend to be an expert or a grand theoretician on the subject, but the mod (obviously requiring a long way to go, but doing an amazing job considering its limitations) has done an amazing job in vitalizing the Warband community.  What hasn't cRPG done in galvanizing a limited multiplayer player base?

I don't pretend to be the best (and, certainly, many others deserve an amazing amount of praise which is sorely lacking from my post), but I have to say that cRPG understands what multiplayer development within the Mount and Blade community has to be.  That is to say, in the native single-player, you begin with little influence on events, but grow to become a powerful entity.  cRPG does the same, through retirement and character development, period. 

It is not a perfect system, but no system begins perfect, nor achieves perfection within a set amount of time.  What chadz and other developers have to deal with is a great deal more than the average player (even me included) starts to understand.  I'm not sucking dev dick when I say this, but they have already provided an amazing service to us, and they already have listened to us as players.  Please, have a little more understanding for the developers and testers: they go through many times what we do, and with much less reward.  chadz and CMP may not play the mod as much as you and I, grunts as we are, but they produce what we know and love.

I'm typing things I normally wouldn't right now, but I believe sincerely that we need to have more appreciation for what we already have.  Our developers are marvels, working with both what we give them and their original vision.  Lessen the pressure on these kind human beings, which give of their own accord.  If not for chadz, we might as well play on some poorly-protect server on the Mercenaries mod (and I've played it, it's nowhere near as good as cRPG).

I know I can whine and bitch a lot, as any other player can.  We only want to do the best we can, set ourselves apart from the rest of the community.  For a moment, though, let's forget our petty differences in favor of something larger: cRPG has brought us something that we only dreamed of since the beginning of the first Mount & Blade: a multiplayer campaign that allows us to grow as we wish.  Cease your complaining a moment, people, and realize that the full customization of our characters, from peasant to fully-plated knight, comes from this dev team which doesn't even get paid for their efforts.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 06:43:08 am by Brrrak »